Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Thauros posted:

Watched the December 22 1997 Raw since it was the first of the Attitude Era episodes they just uploaded and I had no interest in tonight's Raw. Goddamn that was almost uniformly awful from start to finish. The show's only redeeming moments were the times when Austin or Rock had the mic (they still hold up wonderfully). The only matches that didn't end in a gently caress finish were Marc Mero squashing a pre Too Cool/Too Much Scott Taylor and Kurrgan vs. one of the Harris Bros.

I guess I should keep in mind that it was a Christmas episode and those are usually dreadful, but I've seldom been so sad that WCW went to poo poo and eventually died. I've genuinely enjoyed the Nitros from the same period far more than current day WWE.

Oddly, I remember this night as being the night I switched from WCW to WWF. What WCW was doing was so much worse around this time. This was the night where NWO took over Nitro. They devoted about 40 straight minutes just to the NWO taking down the Nitro set. It was one of the worst Nitros ever. At least Raw had Stone Cold stunnering Santa Claus, the Undertaker vs Kane storyline which was so bizarre and over the top it was captivating, and DX which felt like a younger, cooler, more exciting, more unpredictable NWO. Rock was also becoming really awesome. There was Mankind, New Age Outlaws, Owen Hart in the best character of his career. The Mr McMahon character was starting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
The thing that got me to switch from WCW to WWF was watching Austin be the CEO after the IT WAS ME AUSTIN reveal. Him running wild around Titan Towers was amazing.

I only had 5 channels and none of them showed WWF, so I was kind of in the dark at this point. Had to get a buddy to tape Raw for me every week and give me the VHS at school the next day.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Oddly, I remember this night as being the night I switched from WCW to WWF. What WCW was doing was so much worse around this time. This was the night where NWO took over Nitro. They devoted about 40 straight minutes just to the NWO taking down the Nitro set. It was one of the worst Nitros ever. At least Raw had Stone Cold stunnering Santa Claus, the Undertaker vs Kane storyline which was so bizarre and over the top it was captivating, and DX which felt like a younger, cooler, more exciting, more unpredictable NWO. Rock was also becoming really awesome. There was Mankind, New Age Outlaws, Owen Hart in the best character of his career. The Mr McMahon character was starting.

That was a very bad Nitro, but we've been watching Nitros consecutively from the beginning Tuesday nights in psp.tv (currently up to May '98) and I've unironically really enjoyed the nWo period for the most part.

The Fingerpoke vs. Foley's title win on January 4th 99 was what got me to switch, but WCW really started going to hell at that point.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

The thing that got me to switch from WCW to WWF was watching Austin be the CEO after the IT WAS ME AUSTIN reveal. Him running wild around Titan Towers was amazing.

I will contend till the day I die that JR's "AW SON OF A BITCH" after the reveal is the best commentary moment in WWE history, it never stops being hilarious no matter how many times I hear it.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Thauros posted:

That was a very bad Nitro, but we've been watching Nitros consecutively from the beginning Tuesday nights in psp.tv (currently up to May '98) and I've unironically really enjoyed the nWo period for the most part.

The absolute worst of the nWo is saved by below average nWo segments being lightyears ahead of the best Piper and Hart segments.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
"I'm not embarrassed to be with younger women, except when I drop them off at school."

--a real thing Jerry Lawler said on the January 12 Raw

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

OldTennisCourt posted:

I will contend till the day I die that JR's "AW SON OF A BITCH" after the reveal is the best commentary moment in WWE history, it never stops being hilarious no matter how many times I hear it.
Sorry but it's no "Rock Bottom on the dog pop the dog poop the dog poop"

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

AlbertRayon posted:

Brawl for All holds up! It was monumentally stupid and ruined careers, but the payoff is Butterbean knocking out Bart Gunn.

Also Dan Severn wrestlefucking his way to a points-victory.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

OldTennisCourt posted:

This and "CLIMB THE LADDER KID! MAKE YOURSELF FAMOUS!" are two of my favorite JR calls ever.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

sticklefifer posted:

This and "CLIMB THE LADDER KID! MAKE YOURSELF FAMOUS!" are two of my favorite JR calls ever.

I liked his call during the Hurricane vs Rock match, when referring to Hurricane's heart for refusing to back down in the face of Rock's offense: "That's gotta count for something! THIS IS AMERICA DAMNIT! WE DON'T QUIT FOR NOTHIN'!"

He threw in a Make Yourself Famous in that one also.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
JR during TLC II at Wrestlemania X7:

"LITA IS JERKING EDGE OFF!!"

"...THAT LADDER!!"

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

Benne posted:

"I'm not embarrassed to be with younger women, except when I drop them off at school."

--a real thing Jerry Lawler said on the January 12 Raw

I'm lolling

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
My favorite JR line ever was some PPV I was watching, I forgot which one, and Pat Patterson comes out during a match and he goes:

"The parade must be over because here comes Pat Patterson." I rewound it twice.

He had another one that killed me, maybe the same match, where the stooges were leaving happy after the match and he goes "There goes the corporation, skipping gayly away"

I wonder how many subtle gay jokes about Pat Patterson I missed back then.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
"He's single fellas" I believe while Patterson was doing a Hulk Hogan pose shirtless.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ribsauce posted:

I wonder how many subtle gay jokes about Pat Patterson I missed back then.

I'm going to guess it's somewhere in the hundreds.

Dunbar
Feb 21, 2003

If you never caught the references to Patterson doing rear end work at the Brisco Bros Body Shop, you were missing out.

I wonder how many of those came straight from Vince through JR.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dunbar posted:

If you never caught the references to Patterson doing rear end work at the Brisco Bros Body Shop, you were missing out.

I will bet all of them came straight through JR probably

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Still have this annoying problem with the Roku app where on-demand stuff won't load, and I have to restart the whole thing to get stuff playing. Anyone else have that issue? The Network is otherwise flawless on Roku and Mania 31 went off without a hitch.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Benne posted:

Still have this annoying problem with the Roku app where on-demand stuff won't load, and I have to restart the whole thing to get stuff playing. Anyone else have that issue? The Network is otherwise flawless on Roku and Mania 31 went off without a hitch.

Yeah I have that issue as well occasionally.

Edit: Stone Cold, "He called you a wiener."

Good stuff.

spinst fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 16, 2015

Static Rook
Dec 1, 2000

by Lowtax

Dunbar posted:

Patterson wrestles on one of those "Old School" MSG shows. He's billed as being from San Francisco, CA. Yep.

There's also a bit on some RAW where McMahon and the stooges are kicking Sable out of the ring and as she's leaving Patterson grabs her rear end. JR says something like "Patterson in unfamiliar territory here, folks!"

Static Rook fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Apr 16, 2015

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Static Rook posted:

Patterson wrestles on one of those "Old School" MSG shows. He's billed as being from San Francisco, CA. Yep.

There's also a bit on some RAW where McMahon and the stooges are kicking Sable out of the ring and as she's leaving Patterson grabs her rear end. JR says something like "Patterson in unfamiliar territory here, folks!"

He was one of the biggest stars in the history of San Francisco wrestling.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.

Static Rook posted:

hahahahahahahaha goddamn that is great.

Yuriy
Dec 25, 2006

Pay no attention to me, for I am a stupid cunt.

Static Rook posted:

lol

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

Just realized that when Closed Captioning is on, all the references to "WWF" are changed to "WWE". Heh.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark Barber posted:

Just realized that when Closed Captioning is on, all the references to "WWF" are changed to "WWE". Heh.

They probably legally need to do that.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

SamuraiFoochs posted:

They probably legally need to do that.

Either that or they did a Find & Replace on the CC files once upon a time

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I bought a new edition of Have A Nice Day and it refers to things like '[childhood Mick] wearing a tinfoil-covered weight-lifting belt with "WWE" written on the front' or 'The Dude who finally entered World Wrestling Entertainment in 1997'. It's jarring as hell.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
I think they can't legally produce new content with WWF in it which would include captions since they are new?

It's weird that they could rerelease a book and have to change the letters, but not a TV show

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
There was also that territories map that said WWE existed alongside Mid-South and AWA.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

They should rebrand themselves back to the WWWF.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

RZApublican posted:

They should rebrand themselves back to the WWWF.

Trip Dub F

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

St Evan Echoes posted:

I bought a new edition of Have A Nice Day and it refers to things like '[childhood Mick] wearing a tinfoil-covered weight-lifting belt with "WWE" written on the front' or 'The Dude who finally entered World Wrestling Entertainment in 1997'. It's jarring as hell.

WWF was always at War with WCW

WWE has always been WWE

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

coconono posted:

WWF was always at War with WCW

WWE has always been WWE

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

CaligulaKangaroo
Jul 26, 2012

MAY YOUR HALLOWEEN BE AS STUPID AS MY LIFE IS

sticklefifer posted:

War is Peace

Freedom is Slavery

Ignorance is Strength

But what if Mr. McMahon would prefer 2 + 2 to not equal 4? What if he'd prefer it to equal $9.99?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

CaligulaKangaroo posted:

But what if Mr. McMahon would prefer 2 + 2 to not equal 4? What if he'd prefer it to equal $9.99?

BIG HOSS GOOD. INDY GEEK BAAAAD.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
BOOING REIGNS DOUBLEPLUSUNGOOD

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

I thought they were allowed to say "World Wrestling Federation" all they wanted, it was specifically "WWF" that was no go.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Sub Rosa posted:

I thought they were allowed to say "World Wrestling Federation" all they wanted, it was specifically "WWF" that was no go.

This is correct.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
WWF, WWE, and World Wrestling Federation are all the same number of syllables so I don't see why they don't just keep saying "World Wrestling Federation" in regards to the past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Mercury Crusader posted:

WWF, WWE, and World Wrestling Federation are all the same number of syllables so I don't see why they don't just keep saying "World Wrestling Federation" in regards to the past.

Depends on whether you pronounce "wrestling" as two syllables or three.