Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

celeron 300a posted:

I substitute red peppers for tomatoes, but they get added in solely for presentation (to add color). I don't add very much of it.

My secret guacamole ingredient is red onions and garlic. :ninja:

If your gaucamole has no onions or no garlic, it is not guacamole.

Guacamole is, fundamentally: avacado, onion, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Optionally: cilantro, tomato, chiles, other stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Leperflesh posted:

If your gaucamole has no onions or no garlic, it is not guacamole.

Guacamole is, fundamentally: avacado, onion, garlic, lime juice, and salt. Optionally: cilantro, tomato, chiles, other stuff.

Unfortunately, even in CA most gauc seems to be avocado mixed with pico. It is dumb.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

My only beef with breakfast burritos is that Pico or guac tends to be held cold before it's assembled and that cools down the eggs. Cold eggs are the saddest thing in the universe.

Gimme eggs, chorizo, a slice of avocado, and maybe a little bit of tapatizzle.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun
I used to live in Lompoc and some local chain there made these incredible machaca breakfast burritos. Every time I've had machaca elsewhere it just doesn't measure up. I think it was Taco Loco? Sounds generic but it was so good.

KoB
May 1, 2009

hepscat posted:

I used to live in Lompoc and some local chain there made these incredible machaca breakfast burritos. Every time I've had machaca elsewhere it just doesn't measure up. I think it was Taco Loco? Sounds generic but it was so good.

Sorry about the Lompoc.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

nm posted:

Unfortunately, even in CA most gauc seems to be avocado mixed with pico. It is dumb.

There are a lot of recipes and variations on pico de gallo, so many that it's tough to know what you're getting exactly. Like, sometimes it has corn in it? Sometimes it's really wet, sometimes not?

But your basic pico is chopped onions, tomatoes, chiles (usually jalapenos but serranos are preferable), lime juice, cilantro, and salt. Which, you'll notice, covers all of the necessary ingredients for guacamole except the avacado. So if the pico is correct, you can definitely convert it to guacamole by adding avacado.

The problem tends to come in the proportions. Way too much tomato is typical, which makes for an overly wet, runny guac that separates out quickly. Corn is fine to add a little sweetness, but if your pico has radish or cucumber or mango or something, it's gonna be a pretty weird guacamole.

Honestly guacamole is so drat easy there's not much excuse to not make it at home. All of the ingredients are easy to come by at any California grocery store. Just use fresh ingredients and kind of eyeball it instead of relying too much on a recipe, and by your third batch you'll probably have something really really good.

hepscat
Jan 16, 2005

Avenging Nun

KoB posted:

Sorry about the Lompoc.

At least I got out. I worked at the mine there and so many of my co-workers were second and third generation Lompoc residents who thought going to Santa Maria was getting out to the big city.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Chinatown posted:

You are eating at a place that cannot make a loving burrito properly. If your burrito is leaking or poo poo is falling all over the place then probably one of two things is happening:

1. Whoever wrapped it did a poo poo job.
2. The place uses GARBAGE "tortillas" that fall apart (This is why Chipotle sucks dick)
3. The place uses tortillas that are too small and cannot be properly wrapped around the fillings. (Chipotle, again)

Most Chipotles I've been to double-wrap the burrito if it has a lot of stuff in it. I always get a bowl but I've definitely witnessed it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Leperflesh posted:

I should try salt in mine, but I normally do avocado, cilantro, tomatillo, and lime juice.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
If you live in California and eat at Chipotle, kill yourself.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VideoTapir posted:

Sometimes you want a bland ball of calories and starch.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
There's taco bell for that. They don't even pretend.

For Chipotle money you could get a real goddamn burrito, and a cup of horchata to wash it down.

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

VideoTapir posted:

There's taco bell for that. They don't even pretend.

For Chipotle money you could get a real goddamn burrito, and a cup of horchata to wash it down.

But I love the corn

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

I asked about it in the SF LAN thread too and got some great advice, but I figure I can get some good recommendations here, too.

I got a job in Santa Rosa and my husband and I are moving up there next month, and we've never been in California, let alone Sonoma county (we're from the deep south).
So, what are some places you recommend we hit up?

A lot of things don't look too different from where we're at in Alabama, but I'm guessing some stuff will be like ~a whole new world~ to us.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Petaluma has a cool little downtown with shops/bars/brewpubs (e.g. Dempsey's). Lots of coastal access (it's rugged and cold like Maine though so don't expect SCAL like easy warm stuff like Huntington State Beach). Still a few country folk in Sonoma county so it's not completely overwhelmed with SF hipsters/trustafarians.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

bobula posted:

But I love the corn

Chipoltle's barbacoa is straight up delicious, and I like their rice, and their corn. There's nothing wrong with eating good food regardless of where it comes from. I eat at tiny taquerias, big well-established local authentic mexican places, chains like La Pinata, Taco Bell, Chipoltle, La Salsa, etc. etc.

The only thing I get at taco bell is a fresco taco, mind you, because most of their food is disgusting. I mean, those tacos are disgusting too, but sometimes I crave a couple.

Gnossiennes posted:

I asked about it in the SF LAN thread too and got some great advice, but I figure I can get some good recommendations here, too.

I got a job in Santa Rosa and my husband and I are moving up there next month, and we've never been in California, let alone Sonoma county (we're from the deep south).
So, what are some places you recommend we hit up?

A lot of things don't look too different from where we're at in Alabama, but I'm guessing some stuff will be like ~a whole new world~ to us.

It's a beautiful part of the state, but does not feel very much like "bay area." Getting in to San Francisco from Santa Rosa is like a 1 to 1.5 hour drive.

There are lots of sweet little towns nearby to explore. Petaluma is larger and has some really nice shopping. Definitely check out Occidental, Bodega Bay, Sebastopol, and Napa. Oh, and drive up to Healdsburg and Guernville. If you are into wine, you are in the heart of the best wine country in the state, maybe in the world. If you like hiking and outdoors stuff, you're in one of the most gorgeous parts of the state for that, you're very central to a lot of different destinations like the north coast/humboldt, shasta, lassen, redwood parks, and you can drive up to the sierra in three hours. Take long drives up highway 1. Enjoy.

It is going to be surprisingly expensive for you, unless you've been living in manhattan or something. Not as expensive as downtown SF, but people actually commute from Santa Rosa, so it's not that cheap either.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Yeah, it's definitely going to be more expensive for us. Neither of us have lived outside of the south. Where we live now, you can get a decent 2bdr for sub $750. But, we can budget $1500-2200 for housing, which looks very much doable for Santa Rosa.

Since we'll be there well in time for Summer, I hope we can make some trips out to the coast and all :) I've never been to a coast that's not in Alabama or Florida, so I have no idea what to expect.

The people I'll be working with talked up the wine a bit! We don't really drink much (few times a year), but wine will still be a thing, I'm sure!

What are other things than housing that will be surprisingly expensive? I'm trying to get an idea of how our budgeting should look.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Gnossiennes posted:

Yeah, it's definitely going to be more expensive for us. Neither of us have lived outside of the south. Where we live now, you can get a decent 2bdr for sub $750. But, we can budget $1500-2200 for housing, which looks very much doable for Santa Rosa.

Since we'll be there well in time for Summer, I hope we can make some trips out to the coast and all :) I've never been to a coast that's not in Alabama or Florida, so I have no idea what to expect.

The people I'll be working with talked up the wine a bit! We don't really drink much (few times a year), but wine will still be a thing, I'm sure!

What are other things than housing that will be surprisingly expensive? I'm trying to get an idea of how our budgeting should look.

Gas is more expensive.
Produce will be way cheaper, eggs more expensive.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.

VideoTapir posted:

What if you live and work in Irvine and don't see suicide as an answer to that soulless living? And you want a burrito? T_T

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I am eating a delicious burrito right this very second, so thanks for reminding me to eat more burritos.

Gnossiennes posted:

You can go to the coast during the winter, spring, and fall here, too. Most of the time it will still be quite nice, although you'll need to bring a jacket. During the summer it can get very hot (but not very humid) inland, but usually stays quite mild (think 70s to high 80s) right on the coast. In Santa Rosa you'll get plenty of days in the 90s.

The general cost of living is higher here, so eating at restaurants, going to a movie, pretty much any services are more expensive. Haircuts, auto mechanics, babysitting, car washes. We have a significant sales tax and a state income tax, so you'll probably be paying modestly higher taxes.

Also if you live here for a year or two you're probably reasonably likely to feel a small earthquake. Don't panic, our buildings are built for them. Just stand in a doorway or get under a sturdy table, stay away from the windows, and when the shaking is done, unless it was bad enough to trash your home or you smell gas, you can probably safely go back to bed.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

bobula posted:

chorizo is disgusting
Take that back right now :toughguy:

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Benny the Snake posted:

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Blinkman987 posted:

What if you live and work in Irvine and don't see suicide as an answer to that soulless living? And you want a burrito? T_T

Santa Ana is right next door

bobula
Jul 3, 2007
a guy hello

Benny the Snake posted:

No really

It's too greasy and when it's not super hot tastes like poo poo. gently caress chorizo!

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Leperflesh posted:

Also if you live here for a year or two you're probably reasonably likely to feel a small earthquake. Don't panic, our buildings are built for them. Just stand in a doorway or get under a sturdy table, stay away from the windows, and when the shaking is done, unless it was bad enough to trash your home or you smell gas, you can probably safely go back to bed.
Haven't they decided that doorframes are useless, and your best move is to get under any piece of sturdy furniture? Another important point is to have a first-aid kit in the home, as well as basic blizzard/power outage/emergency supplies: food for 2 days including pet food, lanterns of some kind, see any website that isn't trying to tell you something. Because hot water heaters have to be strapped to the wall by law, you can rely on your hot water heater for a water supply.

You can't really prepare for the Big One, but you can make sure that you'll be semi-comfortable after a smaller major earthquake.

FreshFeesh
Jun 3, 2007

Drum Solo

I've lived in Sonoma County for 15 years now and recently bought a house in Petaluma; as far as California locales you could certainly do worse. You're about an hour from any major big city but there's an impressive amount to do here as well.

As others have said, take a drive up to Healdsburg and out to Napa, then plan an afternoon to spend in Bodega Bay. Sebastopol is a quirky little town but it can be fun to visit as well.

There is some fantastic Thai food in the area, and quite a few other ethic cuisines are represented as well. With frequent farmers' markets (Petaluma, Santa Rosa, Sebastopol) you can really get the flavor of the area, pun intended.

If you ever want to drive into SF or Oakland, make sure to get a FasTrak – the Golden Gate Bridge doesn't take cash anymore and it's essentially free for the privilege to skip the toll lines on the other bridges. Definitely worth it.

If you want any other recommendations or advice about the County feel free to shoot me a PM

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Door frames are structurally stronger than being in the middle of a room. You should get to the nearest reasonably safe spot: if there's furniture in the room you're in that you can get under, do that; otherwise, every room has a door frame somewhere and it's likely the next-best place.

My earthquake kit includes first aid, distilled water, nonperishable food, spare batteries, carriers for all of my pets, offline backup of my data, cloud backup of my critical data, and I also keep a mini-first aid kit and a gallon of water in my car, just in case the house isn't accessible.

I ought to add a change of clothes and a credit card to my car stash, and I should get an emergency radio that works on batteries, although the car radio is probably an OK substitute.

The reality is, absent some kind of Katrina-level fuckup (which is unlikely in the Bay Area, where we have relatively recent practice dealing with big quakes), your earthquake kit only has to keep you alive for maybe 24 hours. The rest is resilience and convenience; it'd be nice to be more self-sufficient and less reliant on emergency services.

Super Space Jam 64
Jan 6, 2010

Yet another violation of regulation 1910 subpart D.
How're you guys handling the drought? I'm not great at taking short showers so I've been attempting to cut down to doing it every other day. It's kinda gross but it gives me peace of mind I guess. Being super careful about the amount of water I use/reuse doing dishes too.

I know we're probably still screwed!

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

How're you guys handling the drought? I'm not great at taking short showers so I've been attempting to cut down to doing it every other day. It's kinda gross but it gives me peace of mind I guess. Being super careful about the amount of water I use/reuse doing dishes too.

Yeah, everyone kinda understands that it's agriculture that's loving us-- hey folks, stop planting the country's supply of food in a desert. I'm still skipping a shower on my off-gym days and washing my car less. I'm trying to be more efficient doing dishes. This is just like doing my taxes-- I refuse to use the "shady accountant" all my friends use because I feel I have to pay my taxes in good faith in order to be critical of others gaming the system.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Every single gallon of water I save is going to instead be used to help a corporation make more profits selling thirsty tree-nuts to China.

I'm not opposed to conservation and we are in fact letting the lawn die and I haven't washed the car in months and we take faster showers and I have a high-efficiency washing machine.

But it's really hard to care and especially hard to make any significant sacrifice, when a 2% reduction in agricultural water usage is equivalent to a 15% or 20% reduction in domestic use.

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Blinkman987 posted:

FCKGW posted:

Santa Ana is right next door

Go to Santa Ana.

Failing that, there are many hole in the wall places in Lake Forest. Just avoid the 24-hour one, it's known for frequent stabbings.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Super Space Jam 64 posted:

It's gotten warmer so I've upped my lawn watering from 3 days to 4 days a week.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

celeron 300a posted:

Go to Santa Ana.

Failing that, there are many hole in the wall places in Lake Forest. Just avoid the 24-hour one, it's known for frequent stabbings.

Sure. I spend a fair amount of time in the arts area of Santa Ana. It's just a pain in the rear end to get to in the evenings.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I've gone from a high of around 10,000 gallons/month on my old house with lawns/full landscaping down to 3,350 gallons at my new place with dead lawns, inactive and broken sprinkers and drippers. Watering stuff by hand to keep it alive is a pita so I am at least getting the new section of drippers/valve working and wired in. I am a shower/bath 2x per day person and that poo poo ain't changing. :colbert:

I've replaced the crappy 90's 1.8 g/flush toilet internals with newer 1.6g, not going for the 1.2g.

One month at my old house I had a sprinkler leak and used 17,000 gallons of water in a single month on a 7,000 sqft lot.......I'm sorry! :smith:

I remember 1976 since I'm old and it sucked. They didn't have low flow toilets then so they were running 3g a flush or something so people put bricks and other stupid poo poo in their tanks.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Blinkman987 posted:

If you can't move, suicide may just be the option. Say what you will about the IE, but it has burritos AND character (it may be bad character, but dammit, it is character).

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Thank you for the advice, guys; it's super appreciated :) Especially the earthquake advice.

I think we'll enjoy living in the area! I think being an hour outside a major city will be nice -- right now we're about 2-3 hours out of Atlanta. And SF has a wayyyy bigger design scene than Atlanta or Birmingham, so that'll be good for me.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I fixed a broken sprinkler head I should have fixed years ago, and cut the sprinklers to running once every three days. I've been watering at night for years. I take short showers when I can (i.e. not washing hair).

What I'm thinking about: setting up a minimal greywater system, the kind that lets you turn a valve and let washing machine water into the garden to water non-food plants. I have pretty much the perfect lot for it, running straight downhill from the room where the garage is to the back garden. I'm also thinking about going from the 1990s low-flow toilets I have to more modern dual-flush systems. Longer term, I want to turn our two tiny patches of lawn (5 feet at the widest) into probably a mix of native and dry-adapted plants.

I'm in the Bay Area; I'm not competing with the Central Valley for water, because I'm in a different watershed entirely. I need to conserve water so there's enough to go around here, and because very little of our use is either agricultural or industrial. However, you will pry my old roses and fruit trees out of my cold (and very thorned) hands.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The rule for earthquake planning is to assume that you will be on your own with no water, power, grocery stores, etc. for up to 72 hours. The emergency response plans that utilities and local governments set up are all aimed at having basic services back up and running 72 hours after a catastrophic earthquake.

Keep in mind that there is a ~30% chance that the earthquake will happen while you are at work so you should have an emergency kit there too. If there is a bridge or tunnel between where you work and where you live then you may not even be able to get home for several days.

withak fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 17, 2015

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

withak posted:

Keep in mind that there is a ~30% chance that the earthquake will happen while you are at work so you should have an emergency kit there too. If there is a bridge or tunnel between where you work and where you live then you may not even be able to get home for several days.

An especially important point for women: Keep a pair of comfortable shoes in your car if you ever wear heels or sandals. You don't want to have to walk home in dress shoes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm in the Bay Area; I'm not competing with the Central Valley for water, because I'm in a different watershed entirely. I need to conserve water so there's enough to go around here, and because very little of our use is either agricultural or industrial. However, you will pry my old roses and fruit trees out of my cold (and very thorned) hands.
The bay area gets water out of the sacramento san joaquin delta which is valley water.
With the exception of the north bay, virtually all of the bay's water would either go into the sacramento or san joaquim rivers if it wasn't diverted.

• Locked thread