Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Wol posted:

YamatoCannon seemed like a smart guy whenever they had him on the desk this split, even if he was seemingly born without a sense of humour. I'd be willing to believe it's a positive move for the team. I hope Roccat isn't doesn't think a change in coaches will solve all their problems, though - they could probably do with excising the whole team except Vander and Jankos and rebuilding from the ground up, IMO.

Speaking of coaches on the analyst desk, any particular reason NA didn't do this? I enjoyed hearing what the different coaches had to say about things in EU. Pr0lly, Dentist and Leviathan are just plain good personalities to have around in the land of players who sound like they've never talked to a human being face to face before, not to mention it's good to have someone with actual insight on the desk rather than, say, Quikshot.

It's mostly what Jerkface said. With Joe Miller and Deman gone all they've got for their team is Pyrotechnics, Sjokz, Quickshot and Deficio. During the season to fill in the gaps that they had, they were having retired LCS players on the desk, and only have current/recent players because the players and coaches don't have games anymore until the Summer split. I'm just surprised they haven't folded the Challenger series casters into the LCS casters (Yes, I realize they're poo poo, but it'd give us some more variety rather than the hit or miss of different former players casting).

Honestly, the best way to see the caster lineup changes would be to watch the April Fools games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

Jerkface posted:

I think its because EU lost all their announcers so they dont have enough people, literally, to analyze on the desk. NA has too many color commentators. Kobe, Jatt, Phreak, Zirene can all do color. Its also probably because NA coaches don't speak any english.

I don't get this YamatoCannon guy being some hot get when he is like 12 years old. I kind of side with the Monte side of coaching where coaches should be old enough to have some kind of life experience based authority over the players.

On the Summoning Insight with Dentist they talked about Roccat and their coaching; apparantly thei former coach tried real hard with providing videos and content for them to watch but when the team didn't really listen to it he got demotivated.

Unless they manage a drastic u-turn in the team atmosphere I don't think having Yamato will help them listen, but who knows. Maybe the threat of relegation will make them get their poo poo together.

Either way they need to drop Overpow and they cant do it until after the tourney.

vvvvvv No, he was just the coach, not the manager. He was also on Dragonborns as a player/coach.

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 16, 2015

babydonthurtme
Apr 21, 2005
It's my first time...
Grimey Drawer
Isn't Yamato whatsisname the same MYM guy that threatened Kori's mom or something? Roccat didn't seriously just hire that guy, right?

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK
You talk about bringing coaches onto the desk as a necessity, but honestly, I think it's a good way to get people invested in the teams. Most people cheering for H2K (at least in this thread) like them because they're "Team Pr0lly", and lord knows I wouldn't give half a gently caress about CW if it wasn't for Dentist.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

babydonthurtme posted:

Isn't Yamato whatsisname the same MYM guy that threatened Kori's mom or something? Roccat didn't seriously just hire that guy, right?

No, YamotoCannon was just the coach, not even a manager. The manager that threatened to have Kori's mum lose her house was Sebastian “Falli” Rotterdam.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

You know, in both the VoD review and the Countdown review, monte seems to have missed the fact that in that game three C9 vs TL, Liquid basically wasn't expecting that hai would take the Corki. It seems fairly obvious when I watch it that giant pause before last pick where Liquid is trying to figure out what to do, but Monte just acts like Liquid decided to take Scion up top... just cause.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Calax posted:

You know, in both the VoD review and the Countdown review, monte seems to have missed the fact that in that game three C9 vs TL, Liquid basically wasn't expecting that hai would take the Corki. It seems fairly obvious when I watch it that giant pause before last pick where Liquid is trying to figure out what to do, but Monte just acts like Liquid decided to take Scion up top... just cause.

He misses a few things in the SK vs UOL games as well. Zed respawns and takes blue buff(takes a few seconds) and Monte is raging at him for getting blue instead of pushing. Although to be fair, Fox did gently caress around a lot in general.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

The zed one I can understand, because there were other things on the screen that were out of his control (where the screen was pointed), but the problem I have with this one is that it was missed simply because he decided to flat out skip over Picks and Bans from the start straight to when everyone was locked in and traded to their roles.

I realize that it's to safe time for him, but if you're gonna critique somebody about something like P/B, at least watch the entire phase instead of just saying "well, these are our lineups!" Honestly even if he did acknowledge it, I wouldn't exactly put it as a deliberate take away by C9 (they played corki in game 1). It seemed more like an accident on their part, one that TL didn't have any response for. Which is odd given he still had a decent champion pool available for him during the split, including Ezreal.

Not gonna lie, AP Ezreal seems like it'd be a perfectly fine replacement for an AP corki in that midlane and build.

Edit: also the guy Alex Ich is replacing, TDK's Kyle, is now going back to Korea to retire, so I guess Alex is here to stay for TDK.

Calax fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 16, 2015

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Calax posted:

The zed one I can understand, because there were other things on the screen that were out of his control (where the screen was pointed), but the problem I have with this one is that it was missed simply because he decided to flat out skip over Picks and Bans from the start straight to when everyone was locked in and traded to their roles.

I realize that it's to safe time for him, but if you're gonna critique somebody about something like P/B, at least watch the entire phase instead of just saying "well, these are our lineups!" Honestly even if he did acknowledge it, I wouldn't exactly put it as a deliberate take away by C9 (they played corki in game 1). It seemed more like an accident on their part, one that TL didn't have any response for. Which is odd given he still had a decent champion pool available for him during the split, including Ezreal.

Not gonna lie, AP Ezreal seems like it'd be a perfectly fine replacement for an AP corki in that midlane and build.

Edit: also the guy Alex Ich is replacing, TDK's Kyle, is now going back to Korea to retire, so I guess Alex is here to stay for TDK.

Not a snowball's chance in hell. What makes AP Corki great is that he has

A) Waveclear.

B) Reliable ultra long range AP poking.

C) *seven ultimate charges for Luden's*.

Ezreal doesn't have A without ultimate, doesn't have B until a lichbane, and straight up doesn't have C either.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Hybrid Corki has like 10 times the pushing power and wave clear that AP Ezreal does.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Isn't the point of having that AP threat in the midlane not to waveclear and split push, but rather to provide a second damage threat in a protect the ADC comp so that IF your ADC gets outright murdered in this sort of game, you've got a backup that got ahead simply because there was nothing keeping him down?

In his spring split, as a midlaner, Fenix played Ahri, liss, Zed, Xerath, Ezreal, and Cass (that weren't picked or banned from him this game) and his champion pool is probably a bit deeper than that. Heck, Fenix could probably drag out Riven or Ryze from his pool to provide a credible threat to the enemy team. I just don't understand the spasm Sion (Which Quas hadn't even played in the spring split...)

Savage Cracker
Jul 21, 2010

Calax posted:

Isn't the point of having that AP threat in the midlane not to waveclear and split push, but rather to provide a second damage threat in a protect the ADC comp so that IF your ADC gets outright murdered in this sort of game, you've got a backup that got ahead simply because there was nothing keeping him down?

In his spring split, as a midlaner, Fenix played Ahri, liss, Zed, Xerath, Ezreal, and Cass (that weren't picked or banned from him this game) and his champion pool is probably a bit deeper than that. Heck, Fenix could probably drag out Riven or Ryze from his pool to provide a credible threat to the enemy team. I just don't understand the spasm Sion (Which Quas hadn't even played in the spring split...)

It's about having a second threat preferably one that has pressure early so the enemy can't just use all resources to keep a kogmaw down.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Wonder if Fenix plays Mordekaiser

Wol
Dec 15, 2012

See you in the
UNDERDARK

Calax posted:

Hm. I hope Alex does a solid and brings Yuno up with him.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
The LCK playoffs system kinda sucks. CJ v Jin Air, winner plays SKT, winner of that plays GET. Why not just have regular seeded semifinals? :shrug:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Allyn posted:

The LCK playoffs system kinda sucks. CJ v Jin Air, winner plays SKT, winner of that plays GET. Why not just have regular seeded semifinals? :shrug:

Gauntlet makes sense here because they played double round robin best of three series during the regular season. You need to adequately reward the teams after they play so many games. They also only have 8 teams and decided to do half playoffs. If you opened it up more to get a normal bracket itd really devalue the regular season.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
I don't think Alex will stay in tdk at all, he has apparently turned down offers from actual LCS teams already because misfits want to qualify together as a team. Which is cool cause I like them

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Firebert posted:

Hybrid Corki has like 10 times the pushing power and wave clear that AP Ezreal does.

I think this is accurate, at least in the mid game.

Lovechop posted:

I don't think Alex will stay in tdk at all, he has apparently turned down offers from actual LCS teams already because misfits want to qualify together as a team. Which is cool cause I like them

Yeah honestly that team seems way better than TDK, if I were him I would stay there and qualify in the summer.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik
YamatoCannon has the prestige of being one of the worst top laners in LCS history (he was bad), along with recently coaching a similarly horrible team to a last place finish. The latter can be explained away due to MYM's gamut of dysfunctions, but it's hardly a badge of honor.

Now, at 19 years old, he's ready to coach a team alleged to be underperforming largely due to interpersonal difficulties and uncoachability. I guess people like how he looked in a suit, but he's a goddamn child and is not going to do a good job. Sorry :smith:

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?
In fairness to him, it's not like a coach who doesn't have to learn on the job is going to join those lovely orgs, and those lovely orgs are probably the hardest to coach. I would say he has potential.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
MYM is terrible but it seemed like they improved when he took on coaching duties. Also, wasn't it MYM's manager that harassed Kori and not Yamato?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Sexpansion posted:

MYM is terrible but it seemed like they improved when he took on coaching duties. Also, wasn't it MYM's manager that harassed Kori and not Yamato?

Not for the first time ITT, yes.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Eh, Prolly has been thrown off every team he's been a part of/got relegated but he was able to handle coaching H2K who seemed like a giant mess.

There's always hope!

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Jerkface posted:

Gauntlet makes sense here because they played double round robin best of three series during the regular season. You need to adequately reward the teams after they play so many games. They also only have 8 teams and decided to do half playoffs. If you opened it up more to get a normal bracket itd really devalue the regular season.

Although next year they're pushing the LCK to 10 teams aren't they?

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Calax posted:

Although next year they're pushing the LCK to 10 teams aren't they?
Thought it was going to be the summer split, maybe Samsung won't end up dead-last.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
gambit just posted this on fb and it's so loving sick to look back on - alex's last game with the team:

http://gambit-gaming.com/news/retrospective/alex-ichs-final-match-with-gambit

13/0/7, 100% kill participation. reminds me of dade's 1v5 TF games on samsung and poo poo. just obliterated everyone.

e: also this was famously the one where forgiven went mega rage mode iirc

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Apr 16, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Lovechop posted:

gambit just posted this on fb and it's so loving sick to look back on - alex's last game with the team:

http://gambit-gaming.com/news/retrospective/alex-ichs-final-match-with-gambit

13/0/7, 100% kill participation. reminds me of dade's 1v5 TF games on samsung and poo poo. just obliterated everyone.

Alex hard carried that series by farming like an animal and then wrecking everyone.

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

http://www.businessinsider.com/life-of-professional-gamers-league-of-legends-2015-4

Business Insider seems perplexed, but it does give newbies a semi-good explanation of what's going on in the series.

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
More gold from ESEX- this time about PawN

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
some rando team picked kass in lpl

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012

SaberToothedPie posted:

some rando team picked kass in lpl

Doesn't work for Gamtee's Xaiohu like it did for PawN; he just got wrecked by LB after that first gank.

Also LoveEatPotato is a great name.

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
Lucian mid pick. Why would this be a bad pick? Seems pretty sensible but I've never seen it done.

Transient People
Dec 22, 2011

"When a man thinketh on anything whatsoever, his next thought after is not altogether so casual as it seems to be. Not every thought to every thought succeeds indifferently."
- Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

Jayisspecial posted:

Lucian mid pick. Why would this be a bad pick? Seems pretty sensible but I've never seen it done.

Gets dunked by people with sufficient range or who can point and click.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Jayisspecial posted:

You lane well but then you hit mid game and the enemy AP is exploding you while you can only get a few shots out if you're not someone like Ezreal, Corki, or that undead crab guy.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Hypocrisy posted:

You lane well but then you hit mid game and the enemy AP is exploding you while you can only get a few shots out if you're not someone like Ezreal, Corki, or that undead crab guy.
To expand on that, Ezreal was the first meta AD gone mid pick this season by Faker, who used him because he had a really safe laning phase, and although he didn't do a whole lot of damage, had good range and could protect himself enough that it worked out fairly well. Faker would use his ultimate on cooldown to chunk people down from other lanes and push his team ahead slowly over time, but that's just #thingsfakerdoes

It expanded into Corki, who had really good range and mixed damage but wasn't as safe as Ezreal. Echo was added which added a lot more to his burst and made him a good pick instead of an almost gimmick-like niche. You can build nothing but penetration damage and an Echo and if you're good at hitting missiles you can chunk someone out of a fight really well, especially if you can get close enough for a Q->E->R combo, it's usually enough to kill anyone that isn't a tank.

Urgot has good range and a semi tanky kit, and was great at pushing down other tanks too. On top of that, he's got a pretty good engage that works well with a coordinated team and shows up in competitive for tank bursting/engage.

Lucian is somewhere between Ezreal and Corki, where he has a dash and decent burst, but he's not as safe as Ezreal and doesn't have the burst of Corki, so he's kind of a jack of all, master of none.

RealFoxy fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Apr 17, 2015

Jayisspecial
Sep 16, 2006

Therock Obama
Thanks for the replies. Makes sense. He does seem pretty inferior to Corki in everything he would be trying to do.

Xenogenesis
Nov 8, 2005
You pick Lucian to mow down waves and explode towers. Once the laning phase is over, he's the best PvE champion among the ADCs discussed.

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate
Lucian mid was kinda common when he was super op, it's actually a really fun pick.. can def see it working in fast push comps still

Lovechop fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Apr 17, 2015

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

Lucian mid was a common counter-pick to Kassadin. A fed ADC who can constantly harass Kassadin is one of the best ways to keep him down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlaceholderPigeon
Dec 31, 2012
Jin air vs CJ on right now

Madlife really looks back in form

e: A Ziggs pick...

PlaceholderPigeon fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 17, 2015

• Locked thread