Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

The guy claimed it was acceptable to drink like double your daily caloric value per day in milk. It was strange and he was trying to use it to justify some other dumb argument.

I can't remember, but also it's either the Freep founder or the Conservepedia guy who boasts of drinking an implausible amount of milk daily.

Also on the Christie thing. Wasn't the bridge shut down for about 5 days, and caused complete chaos every day.

Shouldn't he have noticed it, found out what was going on, and ordered the bridge reopened by about day 2?

I mean he claims not to have known anything about it till he read about it subsequently in the Wall Street Journal, but wouldn't the bridge story have been front page news in New Jersey papers and local TV news?

For a Governor, he and his advisors sound implausibly incurious about noticing what's going on in his state.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

ErIog posted:

Do you always flip out this much when somebody gives you a small clarification?

Only when the clarification is hilariously stupid.

Series DD Funding
Nov 25, 2014

by exmarx

Deptfordx posted:

I can't remember, but also it's either the Freep founder or the Conservepedia guy who boasts of drinking an implausible amount of milk daily.

Also on the Christie thing. Wasn't the bridge shut down for about 5 days, and caused complete chaos every day.

Shouldn't he have noticed it, found out what was going on, and ordered the bridge reopened by about day 2?

I mean he claims not to have known anything about it till he read about it subsequently in the Wall Street Journal, but wouldn't the bridge story have been front page news in New Jersey papers and local TV news?

For a Governor, he and his advisors sound implausibly incurious about noticing what's going on in his state.

Only some of the lanes were closed, and I was only able to find a single contemporary news article about it: http://www.northjersey.com/news/new-york-tri-state-area/road-warrior-closed-tollbooths-a-commuting-disaster-1.639923?page=all

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Deptfordx posted:

It wasn't complete and utter chaos, it was really really bad traffic. And sometimes they have to close lanes on the GWB for real repairs/accidents so it's not unthinkable that it wouldn't be on his radar

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Deptfordx posted:

Pretty sure it was dalereed, but like everything else he says it was hyperbole. And yeah it was a gallon+ a day.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

redreader posted:

I heard so much about it and was exited to try it but it sucks. All of my midwestern colleagues forgo actually-good restaurants that serve good food to get a loving in and out burger at least once per visit. I hate fast food but in and out is like... the best poo poo-tier fast food there is. It's still poo poo-tier though. It's poo poo food. We have like, thai, ramen, mexican, italian, mediterranean, pho, steak, restaurant burgers (not poo poo fast food burgers) in walking distance, and they can expense food, but they drive to loving in and out. What the hell.

Nostalgia, maybe? When I was in high school, In and Out was the best poo poo-tier fast food joint around, and so we went. Sure, for a dollar or two more you could go to tommy's famous chiliburgers, but who wants to spend that kind of money? Nowadays, in addition to having more disposable income (what with the whole job-having adult thing), food quality has increased overall, with even places like McD's and Carl's trying to improve their quality (or at least, spend money on claiming they did so). With mixed results.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Alkydere posted:

That's nothing. You should see Chic-fil-a's in Texas.

loving double drive throughs. Complete with a guy standing outside the pick-up window in a high-visibility vest just to hand you your condiments separately while your food cooks.

Still loving packed and backed up all the way around the store and nearly into the street. :stare:

In Northern Virginia we have this issue with drive through lines wrapping around the building and into the street and the reason is because the large parking lot is totally full. People loving love Chic-Fil-a.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Radish posted:

In Northern Virginia we have this issue with drive through lines wrapping around the building and into the street and the reason is because the large parking lot is totally full. People loving love Chic-Fil-a.

It's true they make pretty good chicken sandwiches.

Had a friend who first heard that CFA did the anti-gay campaign thing but didn't mind it until it blew up on social media and only then did he boycott. Then they did the whole PR song and dance and then he started going back.

:ssh: They still support anti-LGBT groups!

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Some clownlord was lying about his milk intake but I shut that fucker down for everyone to see :clint:

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Gravel Gravy posted:

Had a friend who first heard that CFA did the anti-gay campaign thing but didn't mind it until it blew up on social media and only then did he boycott. Then they did the whole PR song and dance and then he started going back.

Boycotts are a pain if you really want to not pay douchebags money. See: that list of Koch associated products.

Jarvisi
Apr 17, 2001

Green is still best.

bpower posted:

The idea that the two parties are the same is now completely unsupportable. Every non-crazy person should vote to keep the Reps out of the White House.

As a gay man I am pretty much doomed to vote democratic for my entire life. Its not that bad now actually since we can actually have rights. As long as people don't vote a republican in. (Dont do this please. I want to get married someday.)

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

As a gay man I am pretty much doomed to vote democratic for my entire life. Its not that bad now actually since we can actually have rights. As long as people don't vote a republican in. (Dont do this please. I want to get married someday.)

As a guy rescued by gay men in SC when I was an infant it is kinda shameful that one of the partners had to die a year or two before it finally became legal in that state.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

As a gay man I am pretty much doomed to vote democratic for my entire life.

That's what's dooming you?

Are you filthy rich beyond measure, because that's the only way I could see circumstances that wouldn't doom anyone voting in their self-interest to be a Democrat for life.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Gravel Gravy posted:

As an idiot that actually likes fast food (but knows it's garbage so I try not to eat it often) I did like their spicy chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and lemon-aid. I've been good about never going back after they (probably) paid off that one activist to lie and say they had totally changed and everything was cool despite still giving money to anti-LGBT groups, just not as openly. Boycotting really is a pain in the rear end since so many companies are terrible such as the tons of stuff owned by the Kochs or Nestle Corporation.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Radish posted:

As an idiot that actually likes fast food (but knows it's garbage so I try not to eat it often) I did like their spicy chicken sandwich, waffle fries, and lemon-aid. I've been good about never going back after they (probably) paid off that one activist to lie and say they had totally changed and everything was cool despite still giving money to anti-LGBT groups, just not as openly. Boycotting really is a pain in the rear end since so many companies are terrible such as the tons of stuff owned by the Kochs or Nestle Corporation.

vote straight ticket republican, burn everything down

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Hillary Clinton consumed calories to generate energy and the New York Times is on it!

quote:

At the time of this writing, much about Mrs. Clinton’s order was still unknown. We do know that it was a chicken bowl (with guacamole, according to ABC News). Less known, but critical: Did she get rice and beans, which are free with the order? What about fajita vegetables, or more than one kind of salsa? Even more important, from a calorie perspective: Did she include cheese and sour cream? This information, much like the contents of some of her emails when she was secretary of state, we may never know.

:911:

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

I missed three days and 800+ posts in this thread. Anything remarkable happen?

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Are you a burrito fan?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Joementum posted:

Hillary Clinton consumed calories to generate energy and the New York Times is on it!

They try to go in for jokes sometimes, but it just ends up being a joke on themselves.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Joementum posted:

Did she generate this energy using oxidation, or were the sugars fermented into lactic acid?

The American people have a right to know!

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Sir Tonk posted:

Are you a burrito fan?

Is the fact that HilDawg went to Chipotle still in the news? Jesus christ. I can't even imagine why her being at Chipotle is important at all

blunt for century fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Apr 16, 2015

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

A+ for trolling to Time's editors, who included Elizabeth Warren in their 100 Most Influential People and had HRC write the blurb.

quote:

Elizabeth Warren
By Hillary Clinton

It was always going to take a special kind of leader to pick up Ted Kennedy’s mantle as senior Senator from Massachusetts—champion of working families and scourge of special interests. Elizabeth Warren never lets us forget that the work of taming Wall Street’s irresponsible risk taking and reforming our financial system is far from finished. And she never hesitates to hold powerful people’s feet to the fire: bankers, lobbyists, senior government officials and, yes, even presidential aspirants.

Elizabeth Warren’s journey from janitor’s daughter to Harvard professor to public watchdog to U.S. Senator has been driven by an unflagging determination to level the playing field for hardworking American families like the one she grew up with in Oklahoma. She fights so hard for others to share in the American Dream because she lived it herself.

Clinton is a former U.S. Secretary of State and a 2016 presidential candidate

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Dolash posted:

It seems gay marriage managed to spread across America mostly as a state-by-state thing, in no small part assisted by the Obama Administration being quietly supportive, to the point that even if a Republican President were to win in 2016 and immediately try to crack down on states where gay marriage has now been legal for years it'd be wildly unpopular and be met with stiff resistance.

I imagine if Hillary proves similarly compliant and unwilling to crack down on Washington and Colorado, allowing more states to effectively legalize marijuana, legalization could reach a similar place in eight years where a Republican would find rolling all that state-level change back would be too daunting.

Maybe my grasp on the history here isn't as strong as it could be, but it seems these days a lot of controversial issues don't get decided nationwide with sweeping federal decisions, like Roe v. Wade or the Civil Rights Act. They just sort of creep up into being, one state at a time, until there's two parallel Americas each of whom are allowed to get away with whatever they want so long as they don't try to force the other states to comply.

I think this was a conservative response to exactly those two sweeping measures, and liberal groups are just starting to realize that the same tactics work for them. In theory, that's the very idea of "laboratories of democracy," but I think that idea has been outdated since the 1940s for the most part. Also the gay marriage issue is a little different than marijuana, because (I think) only 13 states of the 37 with legalized marriage crossed that threshold legislatively. The other 24 were all judicial decisions. Some number of those surely would have legalized soon anyway, but for image reasons it is different.

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost

AtomikKrab posted:

holy crap i've eaten in the only jack in the box in colorado.

Goddamn

That can't be right, there are two in Parker alone.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Joementum posted:

It must suck to be a journalist assigned to political campaigns

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

blunt for century posted:

Is the fact that HilDawg went to Chipotle still in the news?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Burrghazigate.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

why

why does anyone give a flying gently caress about hillary at chipotle

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

We get it

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

why

why does anyone give a flying gently caress about hillary at chipotle

Just a reminder that Fox wouldn't shut up about Obama asking for Dijon mustard at a burger joint for like a week.

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Gravel Gravy posted:

Just a reminder that Fox wouldn't shut up about Obama asking for Dijon mustard at a burger joint for like a week.

I didn't get that either.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

I didn't get that either.

Your average fox viewer is incomprehensibly stupid and open for suggestion, they dont lower themselves to being relevant or making sense, they dont need to. Reducing politics to condiments to operate at their viewers level is how they keep the ad revenue flowing. You see Cruz is like Relish, and Rubio is Ketchup and Rand is Catsup, so therefore

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Wow. All this within days of her announcing. Is it possible that the GOP is actually going to "LOL OLD UGLY WITCH" their way into a loss by pissing off enough middle aged to older white women with this?

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

Spaceman Future! posted:

Your average fox viewer is incomprehensibly stupid and open for suggestion, they dont lower themselves to being relevant or making sense, they dont need to. Reducing politics to condiments to operate at their viewers level is how they keep the ad revenue flowing. You see Cruz is like Relish, and Rubio is Ketchup and Rand is Catsup, so therefore

Ah. That's kind of what I was thinking. I also thought it was Fox getting the viewers to be all upset about somebody using ~*fancy rich man's mustard*~, but incidentally, that just gets republicans to revel in their own lovely yellow mustard and other poor decisions and taste like it's a good thing

Young Hegelian
Aug 27, 2012

Zwabu posted:

Wow. All this within days of her announcing. Is it possible that the GOP is actually going to "LOL OLD UGLY WITCH" their way into a loss by pissing off enough middle aged to older white women with this?

Do older people read Breitbart? I'd always gotten the sense that it catered to voters who won't be put off by this anyway. Also is this even Breitbart? I'm guessing here.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Zwabu posted:

There will be bonus points for whoever makes the quickest pivot between criticizing Hillary's age and invoking the glorious legacy of Ronald Reagan (pbuh).

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Ah. That's kind of what I was thinking. I also thought it was Fox getting the viewers to be all upset about somebody using ~*fancy rich man's mustard*~, but incidentally, that just gets republicans to revel in their own lovely yellow mustard and other poor decisions and taste like it's a good thing

This is exactly what the southern base does. They criticize people of their exact same income level for not being motivated enough, abjectly oppose programs that would be paid for by a higher income bracket and benefit them and view "ivory tower" education as a net negative. If your president is educated it is an insult in their eyes because it is a concept ultimately foreign, which is why the generic Texas politician is all the rage. They can sound dumb, have the right non east coast (IE the bad guys who have Ivy leagues and lattes and whatever the gently caress else they associate with alien culture) accent and act out of spite rather than logic. Its all about the base impulse and reveling in it, they know how irresponsible it is and are PROUD of it because they think it spites people who they think are too smart to be true Americans. Its a pretty hosed up culture at a lot of levels.

Nolanar posted:

There will be bonus points for whoever makes the quickest pivot between criticizing Hillary's age and invoking the glorious legacy of Ronald Reagan (pbuh).

If this race wasn't spattered with all matter of casual misogyny I would actually rethink my notions on the flexibility and thought put into these issues by the base on the right. This makes it so much easer, challenging my own assumptions would take so much energy and they are doing me the favor of confirming them anyway.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 16, 2015

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Zwabu posted:

It is going to be awesome watching a party that already has little appeal to voters outside of old white people turn around and alienate half of that demographic.

Vienna Circlejerk fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Apr 16, 2015

blunt for century
Jul 4, 2008

I've got a bone to pick.

And on top of all that, Grey Poupon costs like $0.12 more per bottle than store brand yellow mustard, so it's not fancy or expensive at all

Like everything else in the rightwing mentality, it falls apart the instant you ask even a single question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

I actually do think that Hillary's age is a slight concern, if only because Reagan's brain was mush by his second term. But then that means Bill will pull the strings behind the presidency and I guess that's not the worst thing in the world.

• Locked thread