Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

whydirt posted:

Exploit should have been a white mechanic.

:vapes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Office Commando
Mar 23, 2005
The Invasion from Within
i run a singleton simian spirit guide in my living end board for t2 violent outburst to stop delver/bogles/etc. got someone who went t1 bogle/t2 ethereal armor+/t3 rancor+daybreak and blew him out with it. ideal scenarios happen every once in a while and good lord they feel good when they do.

edit: meaning i have the mana ready on t2 and pop it on their eot (or earlier if needed). even if i don't have more than a carabid/deadshot/wraiths in the bin when i resolve living end, popping a delver is worth it. also i run 4 living end main because if all of my silver bullets are equal then quantity>quality.

Office Commando fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 16, 2015

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Poor Aaron Forsythe is an inexperienced/boring streamer. This modern draft has all of 500 people watching it :(

edit: and I'm one of them

edit edit: oh poo poo everyone is streaming at once. I can move off the main stream, whoo

hmm yes fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Apr 16, 2015

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Kasonic posted:

Replying from four pages ago, this thread moves too fast.

I was referring to the Oracle wording; the only difference appears to be using "A number...equal to" versus "X, where X". There's got to be a reason for this if the oracle wordings differ, I just don't understand it. Judges?!

The original text of Acidic Soil used an old template that they don't use anymore: "1 damage . . . for each . . . ." That's why they updated Acidic Soil. They could have used a new wording like the one Citadel of Pain uses, but I like the one that they picked; it's shorter for one thing. Citadel of Pain's wording still makes sense and fits modern guidelines, so they never saw a need to change it.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005
My living End runs quad Simians and 17 land now and I'm completely happy with it. Running out T2 Fulminator Mages all day is great, and with the amount of cycling you see so many cards that I don't really have mana issues. The deck doesn't need more than 3 lands on the table and doesn't really gain any advantage to hitting any more so being able to gas up for quicker turns or late game drop a 2/2 durdle instead of land 6 is more exciting to me.

I run 5 landcyclers though along with the full 12 1-mana cyclers in Jund and street wraiths so I draw a poo poo ton of cards. If I had fewer land cycles I'd probably have more issues.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

For people who are against video replay, what is your opinion on people getting caught cheating on camera?

Should the coverage team say something if both players and the table judge miss it? Or is it fair game because on a regular table play would just continue and maybe they get punished by WOTC after the tournament? After the round?

I'm legitimately not trying to troll here I'm just curious

Furthermore should there even be table judges in the feature area or should their matches be unsupervised just like the majority of matches?

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 16, 2015

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
Haha, my friend who is enamored with Bloom Titan scrubbed out in the final round of a tournament last night the turn he had the game 3 win because he was so excited to combo out, he forgot to pay a Summoner's Pact delayed trigger. :feelsgood:

Four Score fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Apr 16, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Wezlar posted:

For people who are against video replay, what is your opinion on people getting caught cheating on camera?

Should the coverage team say something if both players and the table judge miss it? Or is it fair game because on a regular table play would just continue and maybe they get punished by WOTC after the tournament? After the round?

Furthermore should there even be table judges in the feature area or should their matches be unsupervised just like the majority of matches?

I think nailing people to the wall for blatant cheating if caught on camera is fine. Doing this does not put any players into a disadvantaged group. If cheating is suspect but an investigation is required I think that is fine too. This does not put honest players outside of a feature match at a disadvantage.

Play does not continue in a non-feature match if the game is found.

Table Judges for the feature area are fine, because having a judge watch your match does not give feature match players an advantage. Stricter rules enforcement does not provide an advantage, and it improves the quality of the feature match play.

At low level tournaments the top tables always have a defacto table judge anyways, because the judges watch the interesting matches between judge calls.

Elevating the amount of judging for a group does not disadvantage others. Relaxing the floor rules for a feature match because the cameras make it easier to judge authoritatively after the fact does disadvantage others.

Do you get the difference I'm trying to point out?

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Yeah I see where you're coming from and I think that's a fair point!

I do think that given you are playing fairly and mechanically you arent making mistakes you are legitmately at a disadvantage by not playing at the feature tables (less eyes watching your opponent) but there is unfortunately very little we can do about that.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Wezlar posted:

Spectators, Judges walking by, the players at the next table, and many other people outside of the two players participating the match can and do routinely catch errors, misplays, and other problems and inform Judges. A lot more matches than just the ones played on camera benefit from the watchful eye of outside observers.

The only realistic and enforceable way to deal with the inherent unfairness that some games benefit from outside observers reporting on infractions and others do not, would be to ban outside observers from reporting infractions. That is way way worse than just being willing to accept a world where some infractions are caught and others are not due to outside observers.

Think of it this way. Video replays introduce a level of "unfairness" with the potential benefit a tiny number of games at the cost a massive number of games played off camera. Banning the use of video replays for certain Judging decisions on the other hand, has a downside applicable to a tiny number of games, and an upside (consistency and fairness) that applies to a ton more matches.

It's a very different situation. Using technology, or other observers to help catch rules violations is good, because our goal regarding rules violations is to catch all of them, that's not possible though so we accept that and settle for catching all the infractions we can. Once we've discover a rules violation though our focus changes to making sure the infractions handed out are as uniform across matches as possible in the interest of treating all players equally, so in this situation with a different focus, we forego the technology so as not to adjudicate feature matches differently than others.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Apr 16, 2015

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If you're actually cheating then you don't get to complain if you're caught

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Spectators, Judges walking by, the players at the next table, and many other people outside of the two players participating the match can and do routinely catch errors, misplays, and other problems and inform Judges. A lot more matches than just the ones played on camera benefit from the watchful eye of outside observers.

The only realistic and enforceable way to deal with the inherent unfairness that some games benefit from outside observers reporting on infractions and others do not, would be to ban outside observers from reporting infractions. That is way way worse than just being willing to accept a world where some infractions are caught and others are not due to outside observers.

Think of it this way. Video replays introduce a level of "unfairness" with the potential benefit a tiny number of games at the cost a massive number of games played off camera. Banning the use of video replays for certain Judging decisions on the other hand, has a downside applicable to a tiny number of games, and an upside (consistency and fairness) that applies to a ton more matches.

It's a very different situation.

I agree with you for the most part I also want to say that for the Chapin case I do think that regardless of whether or not replay was used the correct penalty was given.

I personally disagree with how strong the penalty for the infraction is in that given situation but the fair ruling is that the card touched his hand and therefore it was considered drawn and he gets a game loss. The replay would have shown the exact same thing.

My main problem is that I personally think it is inconsistent to let the coverage team report issues of cheating but not weigh in on judge calls. If a person can report an infraction they watched through the video screen and back it up with their words surely it makes sense to also be able to look at a video of the infraction if one exists.

edit: I just want to make it clear that I am not talking about cutting players slack due to video evidence pointing to intent. I don't think we should be able to do that. All players should be held to the same standard of mechanical play and should all have to follow the rules the same. I am simply talking about using all of the available evidence to make the correct consistent judge call.

Wezlar fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 16, 2015

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Its a matter of our goals.

Detecting Violations: We want to catch all of the rules violations, so we use every tool to detect them (like the camera)

Adjudicating Infractions: We want consistency in our application of the rules, so we ignore the camera.

Wezlar posted:

I am simply talking about using all of the available evidence to make the correct consistent judge call.

Using all the tools available to make the correct decision is only going to be consistent when all the same tools are available for every decision. We don't have the same tools at every table, so we can never be consistent if we use the camera when available.

Ciprian Maricon fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 16, 2015

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

Wezlar posted:

Yeah I see where you're coming from and I think that's a fair point!

I do think that given you are playing fairly and mechanically you arent making mistakes you are legitmately at a disadvantage by not playing at the feature tables (less eyes watching your opponent) but there is unfortunately very little we can do about that.

You are technically at a disadvantage only if they're cheating intentionally, and there's no practical way to watch for all cheaters. However, by having the top tables in feature matches (top tables being where most / the most relevant cheating happens) it seems like a reasonable excursion of resources compared to random spotting.

Anil Dikshit
Apr 11, 2007

Four Score posted:

Haha, my friend who is enamored with Bloom Titan scrubbed out in the final round of a tournament last night the turn he had the game 3 win because he was so excited to combo out, he forgot to pay a Savage Summoning delayed trigger. :feelsgood:

Savage summoning doesn't have a delayed trigger. :agesilaus:

Summoner's pact does, though.

Also, if your friend isn't putting a die or something on top of his deck to remind himself to pay for pacts, he shouldn't be running amulet combo.

This post is brought to you by a dude who loves his amulet combo decks.

hmm yes
Dec 2, 2000
College Slice
Marshall wins :shobon:

Uhhlive
Jun 18, 2004

I'm not the public.
I'm the President

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If you're actually cheating then you don't get to complain if you're caught

If you don't, you aren't a very good cheater.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
If a coverage team were to make a judge call (in a universe of good coverage teams. So just SCG really) for cheating presumably they'd mute themselves on coverage and contact the table judge to pause the game and call out the cheat while cutting away to the booth if/when things get hairy.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Ciprian Maricon posted:

Using all the tools available to make the correct decision is only going to be consistent when all the same tools are available for every decision. We don't have the same tools at every table, so we can never be consistent if we use the camera when available.

Sorry I wasn't very clear there, when I said consistent what I meant was that the punishment is always consistent with the infraction. So in the Chapin example because the card did in fact touch his other cards the consistent ruling would be that he gets a game loss despite he evidence showing that he probably wasn't intentionally cheating.

I agree that it's definitely about what our priorities in the situation are. I think in the case of instant replay the goals are a) prevent cheating and b) always make the best ruling possible. You do further sacrifice consistency of tournament experience for the players. I don't think either side is wrong but it's an issue I do think its an interesting discussion.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

There was something we used to talk about in this thread....

I can't remember for the life of me...

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dungeon Ecology posted:

There was something we used to talk about in this thread....

I can't remember for the life of me...

Sorry dude I haven't played Yugioh in years.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How many time walks did Chapin's opponent get with that ruling?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

How many time walks did Chapin's opponent get with that ruling?

pretty sure a win = infinite time walks

E: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9517&d=254649&f=MO

:psyduck: I think someone took their pauper deck into a modern event

And went 4-0, no less

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Apr 16, 2015

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheKingofSprings posted:

pretty sure a win = infinite time walks

E: http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=9517&d=254649&f=MO

:psyduck: I think someone took their pauper deck into a modern event

And went 4-0, no less

Nope, that's a super budget modern list that's been around quite some time in one incarnation or another. A buddy of mine used to play it before getting distracted by the super awkward Blistercoil Weird deck, and now he's playing Tron or some such. It's a solid T2 deck that can sometimes just blow people straight up.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Wezlar posted:

Sorry I wasn't very clear there, when I said consistent what I meant was that the punishment is always consistent with the infraction. So in the Chapin example because the card did in fact touch his other cards the consistent ruling would be that he gets a game loss despite he evidence showing that he probably wasn't intentionally cheating.

Just for your clarification in the article Chapin wrote, he seems to imply that the reason he actually got the game loss was because he revealed the rest of his hand in an attempt to prove Tasigur was the card he took off Ajani.

quote:

After lifting up my four cards and finding only Tasigur, I selected him and set him down on the table, touching my hand, while I resolved the rest of the Ajani ability, putting the other three cards on the bottom of my deck. When I went back to pick up my hand, the failure to reveal was raised. I immediately did, as it was still the top card. The judge said it was too late, it had merged with my hand.

I revealed the other two cards and pointed out that the cards had not changed order, but regardless, the judge ruled that because I had not revealed the Tasigur before it touched another card in my hand, I was getting a penalty and because I "had to reveal private information to prove the card was Tasigur," the penalty was being upgraded to a game loss.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

qbert posted:

Just for your clarification in the article Chapin wrote, he seems to imply that the reason he actually got the game loss was because he revealed the rest of his hand in an attempt to prove Tasigur was the card he took off Ajani.

Yeah he has that all kinds of wrong. The penalty is a Game Loss (not upgraded), because the card merged with his hand, it wasn't an upgraded Warning, and you're always free to reveal information you have access to (so you can play with your hand open, for example)

Lancelot
May 23, 2006

Fun Shoe

qbert posted:

No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying that the exception to upgrading to a game loss (the Courser of Kruphix one he mentioned earlier) was held not to apply because not all his hand was public info.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

qbert posted:

I think that what he's saying is that because the Tasigur is now a part of his hand it is private information and because he had to reveal it to prove it was what he had drawn it is revealing private infomation, regardless of whether or not he reveals the rest of the cards in his hand?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Lancelot posted:

No, that's not what he's saying. He's saying that the exception to upgrading to a game loss (the Courser of Kruphix one he mentioned earlier) was held not to apply because not all his hand was public info.

Okay that makes a lot more sense.

Edit: That brings up another question I have. So if my opponent had a Courser of Kruphix out, is every card he draws with it considered public information? So if say 3 turns later I ask him which cards in his hand should I know about, does he have to tell me?

qbert fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Apr 16, 2015

Alaan
May 24, 2005

qbert posted:

Okay that makes a lot more sense.

Edit: That brings up another question I have. So if my opponent had a Courser of Kruphix out, is every card he draws with it considered public information? So if say 3 turns later I ask him which cards in his hand should I know about, does he have to tell me?

Your opponent is under no obligation to tell you what's in his hand even if you saw every card in it. It's up to you to keep track of it.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

No. Remembering what cards your opponent has drawn with Courser is derived information. Like, how big a Goblin Piledriver could be on attacks, that's technically public information right there on the board but your opponent has no obligation to tell you, so it takes some thinking or skill to determine.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

Ciprian Maricon posted:

No. Remembering what cards your opponent has drawn with Courser is derived information. Like, how big a Goblin Piledriver could be on attacks, its technically public, but takes some thinking or skill to determine.

Okay, so just to be clear, a Courser of Kruphix being in play is totally irrelevant when it comes to resolving issues like failure to reveal or accidentally drawing an extra card?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Mikujin posted:

Nope, that's a super budget modern list that's been around quite some time in one incarnation or another. A buddy of mine used to play it before getting distracted by the super awkward Blistercoil Weird deck, and now he's playing Tron or some such. It's a solid T2 deck that can sometimes just blow people straight up.

That d cake looks like a fun $20 deck to bring out every once in a while. Just add some shocks.

Edit: would pump annul to 4 to respect twin though

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

qbert posted:

Okay, so just to be clear, a Courser of Kruphix being in play is totally irrelevant when it comes to resolving issues like failure to reveal or accidentally drawing an extra card?

It depends. For example when you know the identity of an extra card drawn due to an effect like Courser you can put it back and downgrade to a warning. That's not always the case though an opponent can for example not remember what the extra card drawn was, without a consensus on what the card is, we stick with a game loss.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Mezzanon posted:

Edit: would pump annul to 4 to respect twin though
How about Rending Volley?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Irony Be My Shield posted:

How about Rending Volley?

Also good.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

qbert posted:

Actually, I will copy/paste the relevant portion of his argument, because it's kind of funny that he's basically continuing right where he left off from the judge appeal on camera onto the internet, and also maybe the judges in this thread can comment on the validity of his arguments.

If Wizards should have cut away the coverage when Chapin was talking to the head judge then SCG shouldn't have published this

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Barry Shitpeas posted:

If Wizards should have cut away the coverage when Chapin was talking to the head judge then SCG shouldn't have published this

It is a premium article on a website largely for hardcore magic players. Their target audience is players willing to drop money to read more articles when there are already of hundreds of free magic articles on the Web.
The PT coverage is on Twitch and while obviously the hardcore players and fans watch it, the coverage itself is largely a promotional vehicle for the game aimed at new or casual players.
The type of content that is appropriate for these two groups is completely different, especially when you're trying to attract more players to the games or to play tournament Magic.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

With the coverage being very visible, do you folks think that having Judges be more visible in it would be a good idea? The Chapin call for example would have been a good starting point for a small segment on Judge calls, what Judges do and don't, why we're needed there and similar stuff. Obviously you don't know how long a call is going to last, but with all the other stuff they have in there, I'd be surprised if there isn't time for a segment on something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

kizudarake posted:

Savage summoning doesn't have a delayed trigger. :agesilaus:

Summoner's pact does, though.

Also, if your friend isn't putting a die or something on top of his deck to remind himself to pay for pacts, he shouldn't be running amulet combo.

This post is brought to you by a dude who loves his amulet combo decks.

God damnit I always get the two names mixed up :eng99:

• Locked thread