Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

He's saying that we can't judge the quality of 5E's feats, because they haven't put out multiple books full of bloat feats. But the 3E core feats were pretty representative of the overall quality of its feats, and I don't see why 5E would be any different.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If 5E feats are pretty garbo but there is an actual alternative to taking them, at least that's a step up? Maybe?

ImpactVector
Feb 24, 2007

HAHAHAHA FOOLS!!
I AM SO SMART!

Uh oh. What did he do now?

Nap Ghost

golden bubble posted:

He's saying that we can't judge the quality of 5E's feats, because they haven't put out multiple books full of bloat feats. But the 3E core feats were pretty representative of the overall quality of its feats, and I don't see why 5E would be any different.
Yup. Some of the most broken, overpowered poo poo in the entire edition was right in the PHB (lol, Natural Spell).

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

golden bubble posted:

Yeah, the 3E feats in the core book were pretty representative of the overall utility of them, which makes sense since most feat designers probably used them as a guideline for power/functionality.

The ideal feat, in my mind, is one that has as little "passive" effect as possible. It should always be one that lets you do something new, not just let you do something old better, though modifying the effect of something you can already do is also viable(like, say, I don't know, if you can already disarm, then a feat to upgrade disarming to breaking weapons/armor would be pretty cool).

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

PurpleXVI posted:

Yeah, the 3E feats in the core book were pretty representative of the overall utility of them, which makes sense since most feat designers probably used them as a guideline for power/functionality.

The ideal feat, in my mind, is one that has as little "passive" effect as possible. It should always be one that lets you do something new, not just let you do something old better, though modifying the effect of something you can already do is also viable(like, say, I don't know, if you can already disarm, then a feat to upgrade disarming to breaking weapons/armor would be pretty cool).

The problem with that is when feats actively curtail action, like the pathfinder feat that implicitly means you can't do the old "Act like your cuffs are too tight to get the guard to come closer"

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Stormgale posted:

The problem with that is when feats actively curtail action, like the pathfinder feat that implicitly means you can't do the old "Act like your cuffs are too tight to get the guard to come closer"

That's a thing?

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?

Stormgale posted:

Well yeah, obviously that's retarded.

Which feat is that, though? I don't play Pathfinder, but that sounds like a hilarious fuckup.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005
He's probably referring to Helpless Prisoner, which has the sole effect of letting you make bluff checks while restrained or imprisoned to convince someone you are helpless and in pain. The mechanical effect is a +5 to escape as they try to help you or at least shut you up.

If I can do that without the feat, then what is the feat for? If it's the mechanical bonus, then what smaller bonus would you possibly give?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gambor posted:

He's probably referring to Helpless Prisoner, which has the sole effect of letting you make bluff checks while restrained or imprisoned to convince someone you are helpless and in pain. The mechanical effect is a +5 to escape as they try to help you or at least shut you up.

If I can do that without the feat, then what is the feat for? If it's the mechanical bonus, then what smaller bonus would you possibly give?

:wow: That's a really blatant form of "let's turn it into a rule so that the players can't roleplay it"

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Yeah that's the feat, Gnome only If I remember correctly too.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
The feat is even worse than you think. It includes the following text:

"At the GM’s discretion, an especially evil or cruel creature may gain a +2 bonus to its Sense Motive check to resist this ability. If it succeeds, it does something to make your bindings even more secure and less comfortable, giving you a –5 penalty on all Escape Artist checks made in those particular bonds."

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Stormgale posted:

Back in highschool with my 3.5 group, the party barbarian used to fling me into enemies at the beginning of battle. We didn't have Races of Stone so we just made poo poo up, and it was fun. Turns out there's a Fling Ally feat in there, and it kinda sucks.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Even apart from the actual mechanics, how often does that sort of thing possibly come up that you have to build a feat around it, unless you're specifically playing Sweet Gwendoline's Dungeon Adventures?

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Even apart from the actual mechanics, how often does that sort of thing possibly come up that you have to build a feat around it, unless you're specifically playing Sweet Gwendoline's Dungeon Adventures?

I think it's a useful tool for DMs with players who like to make lots of stupid decisions (like me). My swordmage tends to get tied up a ton because she charges into every situation often without the party so she gets knocked out and used as a hostage. I think the alternative is the DM killing me pretty much every other session so I'm ok with it. I've played her for about 30 sessions and I think she's been tied up or at least taken hostage in 6-7 or sessions.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rosalind posted:

I think it's a useful tool for DMs with players who like to make lots of stupid decisions (like me). My swordmage tends to get tied up a ton because she charges into every situation often without the party so she gets knocked out and used as a hostage. I think the alternative is the DM killing me pretty much every other session so I'm ok with it. I've played her for about 30 sessions and I think she's been tied up or at least taken hostage in 6-7 or sessions.
It's a feat to allow you tense your muscles and hold your breath. Having this feat doesn't grant you superhuman powers, it just takes mundane abilities away from everyone who didn't.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

Splicer posted:

It's a feat to allow you tense your muscles and hold your breath. Having this feat doesn't grant you superhuman powers, it just takes mundane abilities away from everyone who didn't.

Oh I was talking about the mechanical idea of taking PCs hostage. Not the feat. The feat is stupid.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

PurpleXVI posted:

4E called things like this powers, and it should have killed feats when it had the chance.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Rosalind posted:

Oh I was talking about the mechanical idea of taking PCs hostage. Not the feat. The feat is stupid.
Oh yeah, capturing a PC is a valuable staple, nobody's arguing that. My lovely horse was saying that, given the opportunity costs involved in taking a feat, you need it to be relevant at least every one or two sessions. Anyone getting tied up that much probably has ulterior motives.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

4E called things like this powers, and it should have killed feats when it had the chance.

You won't find me arguing with that.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

Seriously, if 4E had called martial powers Feats so many grog arguments would never have happened.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

gradenko_2000 posted:

:wow: That's a really blatant form of "let's turn it into a rule so that the players can't roleplay it"

Yeah, this is something I've been careful about when writing Strike's kits. I had to cut some powers because they were too far in that direction. Every power that let's you make a roll should be strictly better in some way than making the same roll just using skills, or else the power is useless.

In D&D a feat that said "When you try to fool a guard into loosening your restraints or opening your cell for a minute, you automatically succeed" would be
a) not overpowered. Possibly underpowered.
b) still leave room for others to roleplay
and
c)more fun than just getting a plus numbers

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I would probably condense that down even further to something like "+x to attempts to escape the restrained condition" (assuming it's a defined condition). You're in prison with guards who tied you up, you get the bonus to bluffing the guards. You're in prison and the guards tied you up and left, because your DM got wise to your bluffing trick, you get the bonus to Endurance because you held your breath or Athletics because you straight up snap the ropes, or whatever. You're in combat and a big spider just webbed you, you get the bonus to (what would in 4E be) your saving throw.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013

Splicer posted:

Seriously, if 4E had called martial powers Feats so many grog arguments would never have happened.

You have more faith in grogs than I do.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Splicer posted:

There's a mirror universe where martial powers were called feats and warlords bards. I want to go there.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

You have more faith in grogs than I do.

Technically, martial powers were called exploits, even if no one ever used that name. Didn't slow the grogs down for a second.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Splicer posted:

3.x already had Extraordinary abilities as "though they may break the laws of physics, are nonmagical"

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Selachian posted:

Technically, martial powers were called exploits, even if no one ever used that name. Didn't slow the grogs down for a second.
Just keep the word Powers away from them entirely. Magic users get Spells at many level ups, Clerics get Prayers at the same time. Mundane characters get bonus Feats at these levels instead. Magic Users get less Feats, and can often choose to take a non-combat Spell/Prayer instead of a Feat.

Yes it's bullshit but bullshit fuels the world.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

4E even had plenty of that bullshit already, like the entire setup with half level, ability scores, enhancement bonuses etc. all obfuscating the fact that there was a very linear "+1 to attacks per level" going on. Or supposed to be going on, at least.

We'd still have gotten complaints that fighters could do Whirlwind Attacks only once per day, or something.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
There is no amount of wordplay that would've solved the problem of grogs wanting only two classes: Spellcasters and Non-spellcasters.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

ProfessorCirno posted:

There is no amount of wordplay that would've solved the problem of grogs wanting only two classes: Spellcasters and Worthless Peons.

Solid Jake
Oct 18, 2012
Since we're on this tack anyway: has there been any long-winded grogsplanation for why the 5e Battlemaster Fighter's Superiority Dice are a fine mechanic that doesn't break verisimilitude, despite the fact that any martial ability you can't do All Day was Magic back when 4e Fighters had powers?

I know the real reason (Superiority dice aren't nearly as fun, interesting, or effective as spells, and are therefore acceptable for muggles), but I'm honestly curious what their rationalization was.

odinson
Mar 17, 2009
How would you guys use Phantasmal Force to gently caress up a Troll (MM pg. 291)?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Feed it some chilli peppers, then convince it that the bucket of actively burning alchemist's fire it's drinking is actually cool, refreshing water.

Actually, acid would probably work better and be cheaper.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Solid Jake posted:

Since we're on this tack anyway: has there been any long-winded grogsplanation for why the 5e Battlemaster Fighter's Superiority Dice are a fine mechanic that doesn't break verisimilitude, despite the fact that any martial ability you can't do All Day was Magic back when 4e Fighters had powers?

I know the real reason (Superiority dice aren't nearly as fun, interesting, or effective as spells, and are therefore acceptable for muggles), but I'm honestly curious what their rationalization was.

Since it feels like D&D again, there's no need to rationalize anything.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

odinson posted:

How would you guys use Phantasmal Force to gently caress up a Troll (MM pg. 291)?
It thinks it's tied up with magical chains of fire?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So, here's some information about how Great Weapon Fighting Style and Savage Attacker interact with 1d12, 2d6, or dual-wielding 1d6 weapons.
I can't really make heads or tails of the TWF stuff, exactly, but it gives you a rough idea nonetheless.

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.
The idea is that you can only use Savage Attacker once per turn, but TWF swings twice, so you have to decide whether to use it on the first attack or save it for the off-hand, based on how much damage you rolled.

It seems really weak. Under the best of circumstances (swinging a d12 greataxe around only once per turn) it increases your average damage by ~2.

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
In my last session my Wizard was able to gradually over time find out the secret identity of one of the Lords of Waterdeep using Detect Thoughts, invisibly stalk him and learn his routine, impersonate his carriage driver with Disguise Self, take him captive and learn all his memories, then murder him and assume his identity, his estate and all of his financial assets.

DM: "Ok, but his captain of the guard notices something's up and is gradually gonna work to find out what you did."
Me: "No, because I can read minds constantly. I quickly discover his suspicions, have him quietly killed and replaced with someone more loyal."
DM: "Oh, so you can. I guess he's dead."

In the same session, our Rogue failed a stealth roll to steal from a potion merchant and was captured by the guards and jailed. I had to use my influence as a Lord of Waterdeep to have him released.

ROLEplaying not ROLLplaying

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

Boing posted:

ROLEplaying not ROLLplaying

But the Rogue can fail stealth rolls all day!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Why can you read minds constantly?