Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Effectronica, I'm not trying to 'win' anything here. Do you think I care about pettiness? New ideas, ways of thinking, that is my crack-cocaine. You said they 'must' adopt, I challenged that, and challenged the reasoning that CA must be opposed because of that. That's not because I'm trying to spit in your face, I want more, more stuff, more words. I'm not asking for proof, I want the hidden assumptions, the rhetoric, the emotional investment, etc. Is the 'adoption' a matter of values simply changing, or values being imposed? Is there value inherent to diversity, or is that value derived from elsewhere? If from the value other subjects place in it, what are the limits of that value?

And if you want to be figurative, fine, but please make it relevant. In my mind, if a culture can die without it being forced on them, at some point the people who did value it stopped valuing it. Values can and do change over time, they aren't eternal. The values today should be respected, but not projected onto the future. You get me? So it's kind of important that you don't implicitly equivocate between the two, when I'm trying to push the difference between the two.

So don't go pretending you're somehow more enlightened than everyone else. Neither of us can see things 'as they really are'. We're both down here, you and me, stumbling in the dark and chasing shadows. I'm not going to give up my claims for the same reason you're not going to give up yours, it's all we have. You've never admitted you can support your claims, and you can't, otherwise you would have just done it. So come on then, discuss.

Now, for your two other points: Is this libetarianism? Nope, you protect the commons or collectivize something because of the real benefits you'd get from that, to real people, today. Not for, what, protecting the sanctity of something abstract. As for harm: can you measure harm? Who the gently caress knows! Does it matter? Not really, as long as you can make some kind of comparison you should be good to go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

7c Nickel posted:

Ok, let's try something.

In 1993, at the Lakota Summit V, the assembled members unanimously passed the "Declaration of War Against Exploiters of Lakota Spirituality."

Now are the practices described in this document

A. Real problems with cultural appropriation that the council was attempting to address.

B. Real problems, but not cultural appropriation because *INSERT 50 PAGE TANGENT HERE*

C. Not actually problems and those dumb minorities should have better things to worry about.
These kind of documents say a lot of things, most of it is implicit. Look at the statement that is strongly emphasized (being red colored):

quote:

7. We urge all our Indian brothers and sisters to act decisively and boldly in our present campaign to end the destruction of our sacred traditions, keeping in mind our highest duty as Indian people: to preserve the purity of our precious traditions for our future generations, so that our children and our children's children will survive and prosper in the sacred manner intended for each of our respective peoples by our Creator.
'purity'. 'future generations'. 'children's children'. This is the anxiety. The threat is internal, not external: that their children will 'betray' them, will no longer care. If something is of value to them, then they have a right to act based on that value, but they want something more: to create a situation in which their children, and everyone one else in their community, must share that same value, or be excluded (as a white man's shaman). Where cultures are distinct not because people may prefer that, but because the mixing has been made impossible. This is the same reason both conservative hasidic jews and fundamentalist christians so desperately want to wall themselves in: they know they cannot survive contact with the outside world unchanged.

So, to answer your question, it's not 'C' because minorities aren't dumb and obviously this is of value to them (they wouldn't have made the declaration otherwise), and it's not A, because it's not the appropriation that's really motivating these kinds of declarations, it's the internal threat. B isn't right either, so I have to answer 'D. none of the above'.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 16, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Mmhmm, what a fresh new perspective.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hakimashou posted:

Cultural appropriation is bad because its dilutes the exotic authenticity of a culture, but a culture's exotic authenticity only matters to people outside it, because our own cultures aren't exotic to us.

So, cultural appropriation can only be bad from an outside perspective, since diluting or diminishing the exotic authenticity of another culture is only bad from the perspective of someone who values it because it is exotic.

So, for people who believe they are part of a culture but also are alarmed when its exotic authenticity is diminished, there is a contradiction. Somewhere along the line they identified with a culture but never really came to see or value it from an insider's perspective.

Fundamentally, if we think our own cultures have intrinsic values rather than extrinsic ones- for example "I like this about my culture because i think it is good" vs "I like this about my culture because only we do it-" then we can't possibly see cultural appropriation as wrong, since at worst, it is just people trying to imitate something we think is good, and we should want the best for one another.

You have earnestly advocated for destroying all of Europe in nuclear fire, that doesn't seem like the best for one another.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

Mmhmm, what a fresh new perspective.
It just comes across as bread and circuses. It's about celebrities, Grammys, products in shopping malls -- those are the examples of cultural appropriation I see trotted out most often. Like Iggy Azalea was something of a hate figure for a little while among quite a lot of people on the online left. I'm not exaggerating.

I don't see why anyone should care. I mean, Iggy Azalea is going to take up most of your attention? It's a sign of a left that's deeply troubled. It feels representative of a left that is largely demobilized and has turned inwards on itself. It's largely performative and expressive but has no real grounding. It's very post-Occupy, though Ferguson had potential for being aimed at creating real changes. But that had to do with real and more important stuff.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 08:46 on Apr 16, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Omi-Polari posted:

It just comes across as bread and circuses. It's about celebrities, Grammys, products in shopping malls -- those are the examples of cultural appropriation I see trotted out most often. Like Iggy Azalea was something of a hate figure for a little while among quite a lot of people on the online left. I'm not exaggerating.

I don't see why anyone should care. I mean, Iggy Azalea is going to take up most of your attention?

But she actually seems like a really good example of how appropriation perpetuates inequality to me. Here you've got an art form that was invented and refined by black artists, and a pretty white woman comes along, copies it, and starts making far and away more money than anyone in that genre ever had before. Why not use this as a perfect example of how the money flows, not to the creative pioneers, but to the first person of a skin tone palatable to the majority that was able to imitate it successfully. It's an example that is immediately accessible to anyone who has hears of her, why do you think it's a strange one to pick?

Yeah, she's just one example and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter how much money Iggy Azalea gets. But it's one instance of a pattern that's repeated all the time and everywhere: the achievements of people of color are co-opted to benefit whites so the benefits of them can be transferred to and enjoyed by the white majority while the communities that created them are left impoverished.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Also as far as this debate goes, I'd go read some Mark Simpson articles in Out magazine or James Franco interviews for gay newspapers.

The thing is, Franco is a cultural appropriator of gay culture like no other -- but no one really seems to mind. (A lot of straight male fashion is ... well, pretty gay, or at least derived from the gay scene.) He's making gay films and posing in Robert Mapplethorpe-style photos.

quote:

"I like to think that I’m gay in my art and straight in my life. Although, I’m also gay in my life up to the point of intercourse, and then you could say I’m straight. So I guess it depends on how you define gay. If it means whom you have sex with, I guess I’m straight. In the twenties and thirties, they used to define homosexuality by how you acted and not by whom you slept with. Sailors would gently caress guys all the time, but as long as they behaved in masculine ways, they weren’t considered gay."

[...]

"Maybe sex with a guy would change things, but I doubt it. Like I said, I’m gay in my art. Or, I should say, queer in my art. And I’m not this way for political reasons, although sometimes it becomes political, like when I voted for same-sex marriage, etc. But what it’s really about is making queer art that destabilizes engrained ways of being, art that challenges hegemonic thinking."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/03/18/james-franco-gay-interview_n_6893970.html
Now if a white person said "I'm black in my art" people would flip their poo poo, of course.

But Franco is celebrated for his own spin on it.

I'm not sure what argument is that anyone could make for why "I'm black in my art" is offensive and why Franco's gay art is not. The main argument is that there's a history of oppression -- which is ongoing -- and the relative power dynamic. But it'd be pretty dubious to say gay men are on an equal footing in power dynamics with straight men in our society. Far from it.

Which is dancing around my main point, which is that Franco likes being desired by gay men, although he's straight. Franco says he likes it when gay men think he's gay. Which I think is somewhat akin (bear with me here) to why a lot of white artists mimic black styles -- they're looking for approval from people they admire. Imitation is a form of flattery, etc. Which tends to get left out in these discussions.

VitalSigns posted:

But she actually seems like a really good example of how appropriation perpetuates inequality to me. Here you've got an art form that was invented and refined by black artists, and a pretty white woman comes along, copies it, and starts making far and away more money than anyone in that genre ever had before. Why not use this as a perfect example of how the money flows, not to the creative pioneers, but to the first person of a skin tone palatable to the majority that was able to imitate it successfully. It's an example that is immediately accessible to anyone who has hears of her, why do you think it's a strange one to pick?

Yeah, she's just one example and in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter how much money Iggy Azalea gets. But it's one instance of a pattern that's repeated all the time and everywhere: the achievements of people of color are co-opted to benefit whites so the benefits of them can be transferred to and enjoyed by the white majority while the communities that created them are left impoverished.
Well you make a legitimate point about resources. But I don't think your argument is strictly true, in this case. I'm not sure her wealth even breaks the top 50 rap artists. I think the only white artists who make it on that are the Beastie Boys (who are Jewish in any case) and the Insane Clown Posse (those guys are really savvy businessmen).

Okay, I looked it up, and I looked her up -- and she's rich, but she's not that rich. (Her boyfriend, who plays for the Lakers, is way richer.)

If this was the 1950s and we were talking about Elvis Presley, then I think you'd have a better point. Excluding those other two examples, I can maybe count maybe ... three (?) or four (?) popular white rappers off the top of my head.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Apr 16, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
While of course you're right that it isn't "strictly true" that every white rapper makes more money than every black rapper, but that's not a very useful way of evaluating trends. Is it "strictly true" that every white applicant always gets hired over every black one? Is it "strictly true" that every white defendant escapes the death penalty and every black defendant gets a capital sentence? Is it "strictly true" that every gay couple is rejected by landlords in favor of a straight couple? No, no, and no, but that doesn't mean these trends don't exist.

As for James Franco, well, I'd say the role of gay people in contributing to the fashions and tastes that are overall an aspect of the wider culture is a bit more complicated. For a counterexample, consider the criticism that Madonna gets for vogue: copying a style from the underground gay scene and profiting from repackaging and selling it to a middle America that is willing to buy it only when it's sold by a straight woman. The people who created are shoved aside, because to America they are worthless, but America is perfectly willing to enjoy what they created as long as they can feel that their money and attention are going to someone "worthy".

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Apr 16, 2015

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

VitalSigns posted:

While of course you're right that it isn't "strictly true" that every white rapper makes more money than every black rapper, but that's not a very useful way of evaluating trends. Is it "strictly true" that every white applicant always gets hired over every black one? Is it "strictly true" that every white defendant escapes the death penalty and every black defendant gets a capital sentence? Is it "strictly true" that every gay couple is rejected by landlords in favor of a straight couple? No, no, and no, but that doesn't mean these trends don't exist.

As for James Franco, well, I'd say the role of gay people in contributing to the fashions and tastes that are overall an aspect of the wider culture is a bit more complicated. For a counterexample, consider the criticism that Madonna gets for vogue: copying a style from the underground gay scene and profiting from repackaging and selling it to a middle America that is willing to buy it only when it's sold by a straight woman. The people who created are shoved aside, because to America they are worthless, but America is perfectly willing to enjoy what they created as long as they can feel that their money and attention are going to someone "worthy".

You're describing something that's definitely an issue, but I'm not sure appropriation is the right concept to advance the argument. If the appropriative act is the issue one would also have to take the numerous reductio ad absurdum examples that have been posted in this thread as equally problematic. What you're talking about is a problem, the Japanese love for Ramen noodles is not. However, both examples work the same way in regards to appropriation of an oppressed group's culture. Something must differentiate these acts because we can see that one is a legitimate issue and the other is not.

(Cue Efftronica and/or Sedan Chair coming in and telling me why Miso Ramen is totally racist.)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Why do you have to take reductio ad absdurdums as equally problematic situations? Those situations are by definition different, so we should expect to treat them differently.

Is it sexist if I go visit an old friend and bring their daughter I've never met a Cinderella doll? Sure. Is it necessarily a problem in this case? Well, no, it might turn out she really likes Cinderella and would have wanted that even if I had asked first instead of assuming. Or it might disappoint her and send her a message that this is what girls are "supposed" to want. Should we treat this kind of mild sexism as equally bad as if I threw out every résumé with a woman's name on it? No we shouldn't, that would be pretty hysterical and stupid right?

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

VitalSigns posted:

Why do you have to take reductio ad absdurdums as equally problematic situations? Those situations are by definition different, so we should expect to treat them differently.

Is it sexist if I go visit an old friend and bring their daughter I've never met a Cinderella doll? Sure. Is it necessarily a problem in this case? Well, no, it might turn out she really likes Cinderella and would have wanted that even if I had asked first instead of assuming. Or it might disappoint her and send her a message that this is what girls are "supposed" to want. Should we treat this kind of mild sexism as equally bad as if I threw out every résumé with a woman's name on it? No we shouldn't, that would be pretty hysterical and stupid right?

Those situations are the same in that they have similar power dynamics and acts of appropriation. The appropriation act itself is analogous even if the situations differ in other respects. Obviously the difference ameliorate the issue, so I'm not sure appropriation per se is the issue.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Can't some examples be bad and some be minor?

It might be sexist of me to open a door for a woman, but it would be pretty ridiculous of me to go "well well feminists, it doesn't harm a woman when I do that so I guess sexism doesn't exist"

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

VitalSigns posted:

Can't some examples be bad and some be minor?

It might be sexist of me to open a door for a woman, but it would be pretty ridiculous of me to go "well well feminists, it doesn't harm a woman when I do that so I guess sexism doesn't exist"

There can be degrees, but there's still a value judgement going on even when the offence is minor declaring the action negative. In a lot of the reductio ad absurdum arguments the "offense" is something that's viewed positively, but would have to be viewed negatively if it was appropriation specifically that was the issue at hand.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Madonna was already a star with a large fan base when Vogue hit, and it was both a good song and a good video. Were there artists who were authentic to the gay underground who had that breakout potential or were even trying for it? If she had come from that scene would she be criticized as a sell out who appropriated her own sub-culture? What if she were gay but not part of the underground scene?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
1980's America would have rejected an openly gay performer regardless of how good his art was because filthy homos. Clearly this is the fault of gay people for being too lazy to be superstars or something.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

1980's America would have rejected an openly gay performer regardless of how good his art was because filthy homos. Clearly this is the fault of gay people for being too lazy to be superstars or something.

Liberace and Freddie Mercury.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Liberace was closeted his whole life, and Freddie Mercury danced around the issue.

Are you really trying to imply homophobia wasn't real in the 1980s?

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

quote:

7. We urge all our Indian brothers and sisters to act decisively and boldly in our present campaign to end the destruction of our sacred traditions, keeping in mind our highest duty as Indian people: to preserve the purity of our precious traditions for our future generations, so that our children and our children's children will survive and prosper in the sacred manner intended for each of our respective peoples by our Creator.

We must secure the existence of our people and a future for Indian Children.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
The Lakota were the real Nazis all along...we fought the wrong 1940's war.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Liberace was closeted his whole life, and Freddie Mercury danced around the issue.

Are you really trying to imply homophobia wasn't real in the 1980s?

No. Do you think Hitler was right?

Liberace's sexuality was obvious in the 80s. Freddie Mercury's even more so. Coming out of the closet wasn't really a thing yet then, not for celebrities.

At any rate, We should be appalled by the Islamophobia exhibited by homosexuality in modern American culture*. (Figurative, as America has No Culture.)

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
The implication was that gay people didn't make vogueing popular because...idk too lazy or drug-addled or something, and they needed straight people to come in and show em how it's done. Silly faggots, if you stopped sucking dick for half a second and worked a day in your lives, you would have been selling the albums!

I guess much the same way that blacks just weren't good enough to be rock stars so whites had to come along and show them what a real performer looks like. Were there any blacks with the star power of Elvis, nope checkmate libtards, minorities are poo poo.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

1980's America would have rejected an openly gay performer regardless of how good his art was because filthy homos.

IDK. Elton John, Boy George, both were out during the 80's and had big success. Freddy Mercury. There were others, too. Not saying that prejudice wasn't a thing, of course.

Also Vogue dropped in 1990.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

TheImmigrant posted:

Liberace's sexuality was obvious in the 80s. Freddie Mercury's even more so. Coming out of the closet wasn't really a thing yet then, not for celebrities.

This is the point. No matter how obviously flamboyant Liberace was, he still had to lie about it his whole life and keep up a front of denial. He had every reason to believe coming out would destroy his career and had to pay lip service to being straight so straight society could look the other way if they wanted. That's the whole thing behind 'passing': if you're valuable to hetero society in some way, then if you at least pretend you're not gay, they pretend not to notice so they can enjoy your art without having to admit a filthy sodomite has enriched their lives.

Now let's compare that to the career prospects of a gay man from the club scene.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
In the future, I hope even more women appropriate gay club cultural norms such as blowjobs and anonymous bootysex.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

wateroverfire posted:

IDK. Elton John, Boy George, both were out during the 80's and had big success. Freddy Mercury. There were others, too. Not saying that prejudice wasn't a thing, of course.

Also Vogue dropped in 1990.
Both of whom became famous first. You asked why openly gay men didn't make vogue popular, as if the creators of an art just weren't as good as an imitator somehow.

Combing through to find one or two gay performers doesn't prove anything. You're always going to find a few exceptions when you're talking about trends, so what. There were also popular black music acts in the 1950s, that doesn't mean racism wasn't a huge influence or that record companies and the population as a whole didn't elevate white performers over black innovators in general. If you're admitting that there was a lot of prejudice and openly gay people had huge obstacles in industry that straight people didn't face (and the successful ones had to start out closeted), then you're already agreeing with me.

What is your argument? The Temptations existed, therefore no white performers imitated black artists and got greater financial rewards because of their race?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Apr 16, 2015

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Both of whom became famous first. You asked why openly gay men didn't make vogue popular, as if the creators of an art just weren't as good as an imitator somehow.

What I'm trying to say is there's a lot more to making something popular than performing it in an underground scene. It's not a question of being "as good" or not. An artist has to promote, market, have a sound and an act that appeals to a mass audience, etc. Part of that might have been race or sexual identity, sure, ok. But not having mass appeal is a feature that applies to a ton of underground culture in whatever context today, and elements of those sub cultures going mainstream is something some participants will always bitch about because it's not "authentic", because "we did it first", or w/e. When in fact they weren't interested in going mainstream in the first place or didn't have what it took to break out.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
Truly it is a just world.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!
What's the thrust of your argument. Because right now it sounds like "well yeah sure, some runners had their ankles chained together for the race, but there's a lot more to winning a race than not being chained, maybe all the unchained straight white people were just better runners anyway"

E: Vogue was just an example of a trend. If you recognize the trend exists, then why quibble about whether Madonna is a good example of it or not, ultimately that's unknowable without a time machine, but we can look at the whole context around this and other examples and see that powerful people making money off of the uncredited work of unpopular minorities happens and is bad. Which you seem to except, so why blow all this smoke about this or that specific instance?

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 16, 2015

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

I don't see why anyone should care. I mean, Iggy Azalea is going to take up most of your attention? It's a sign of a left that's deeply troubled. It feels representative of a left that is largely demobilized and has turned inwards on itself. It's largely performative and expressive but has no real grounding. It's very post-Occupy, though Ferguson had potential for being aimed at creating real changes. But that had to do with real and more important stuff.

Iggy Azalea is a white woman from New Zealand who makes money from hip-hop and called herself a slave master.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Would yo yo ma be guilty of cultural impersonation if there was a disenfranchised Germany minority in China?

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

What's the thrust of your argument. Because right now it sounds like "well yeah sure, some runners had their ankles chained together for the race, but there's a lot more to winning a race than not being chained, maybe all the unchained straight white people were just better runners anyway"

E: Vogue was just an example of a trend. If you recognize the trend exists, then why quibble about whether Madonna is a good example of it or not, ultimately that's unknowable without a time machine, but we can look at the whole context around this and other examples and see that powerful people making money off of the uncredited work of unpopular minorities happens and is bad. Which you seem to except, so why blow all this smoke about this or that specific instance?

I think here's where I disagree with you. If someone took a specific work of another artist, minority or not, and resold as their own creation, then that's a problem. If someone was inspired by a sound or look or etc and rolled that into their own work without copying a specific expression that's literally how art works and being butthurt about it seems inappropriate.

There's also a lot of really bad history being thrown around about things like the origin of rock and roll, which had roots in both predominantly african american music styles and in country. There were mixed acts. There were A.A. acts that were popular with white audiences. There was a british scene.

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 16, 2015

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

I think here's where I disagree with you. If someone took a specific work of another artist, minority or not, and resold as their own creation, then that's a problem. If someone was inspired by a sound or look or etc and rolled that into their own work without copying a specific expression that's literally how art works and being butthurt about it seems inappropriate.

The main problem is how the industry chooses to promote or ignore certain artists, which is also dependent of characteristics such as race, though. It's not only about what people like, because they can only like what's presented to them in the first place. If black music is obscure, but there is plenty of well-known and advertised white artists who play nearly exactly the same thing, there is no reason to think they all succeeded or failed according to their skills or likability. The artists who were passed over just to see other people getting multi-million dollar contracts for derived work have every right to feel deceived.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Gantolandon posted:

The main problem is how the industry chooses to promote or ignore certain artists, which is also dependent of characteristics such as race, though. It's not only about what people like, because they can only like what's presented to them in the first place. If black music is obscure, but there is plenty of well-known and advertised white artists who play nearly exactly the same thing, there is no reason to think they all succeeded or failed according to their skills or likability. The artists who were passed over just to see other people getting multi-million dollar contracts for derived work have every right to feel deceived.

no popular black artists out there, no siree! what's the quota for fair representation?

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

no popular black artists out there, no siree! what's the quota for fair representation?

Man every black artist you see just makes you grit your teeth huh. One's too many for the likes of you.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Omi-Polari posted:

This really describes how I see, why do we split hairs over this? When there are real issues that are causing people to be living in poverty, leading to homelessness, or even just allowing for the brutalization of the underclasses. We instead take issue with some media mogul making lovely music that is a shallow copy of a minorities music. That's the hill we want to die on.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Crowsbeak posted:

This really describes how I see, why do we split hairs over this? When there are real issues that are causing people to be living in poverty, leading to homelessness, or even just allowing for the brutalization of the underclasses. We instead also take issue with some media mogul making lovely music that is a shallow copy of a minorities music. That's the hill we want to die on.

Does that clear things up for you?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

falcon2424 posted:

Why would ancient origins of Easter matter? It's a hypothetical. The whole situation is made up anyway, so we can just assert that the Non-Evangelicals got their Easter via the Evangelicals.

If so, it's quintessential appropriation, unless you're sticking in that hidden, "only 'exotic' stuff counts" clause.

And I agree that the Evangelicals clearly have a right to withdraw from broader culture if they want. I'm saying that I don't have any particular obligation to help. And I have no reason to be upset if a once-distinct Evangelical evangelical population starts merging with the mainstream.

Well, then, you obviously don't have a problem with cultural appropriation, except when it's the right kind of culture being appropriated from, because you don't figure that the long-term effects are negative.

rudatron posted:

Effectronica, I'm not trying to 'win' anything here. Do you think I care about pettiness? New ideas, ways of thinking, that is my crack-cocaine. You said they 'must' adopt, I challenged that, and challenged the reasoning that CA must be opposed because of that. That's not because I'm trying to spit in your face, I want more, more stuff, more words. I'm not asking for proof, I want the hidden assumptions, the rhetoric, the emotional investment, etc. Is the 'adoption' a matter of values simply changing, or values being imposed? Is there value inherent to diversity, or is that value derived from elsewhere? If from the value other subjects place in it, what are the limits of that value?

And if you want to be figurative, fine, but please make it relevant. In my mind, if a culture can die without it being forced on them, at some point the people who did value it stopped valuing it. Values can and do change over time, they aren't eternal. The values today should be respected, but not projected onto the future. You get me? So it's kind of important that you don't implicitly equivocate between the two, when I'm trying to push the difference between the two.

So don't go pretending you're somehow more enlightened than everyone else. Neither of us can see things 'as they really are'. We're both down here, you and me, stumbling in the dark and chasing shadows. I'm not going to give up my claims for the same reason you're not going to give up yours, it's all we have. You've never admitted you can support your claims, and you can't, otherwise you would have just done it. So come on then, discuss.

Now, for your two other points: Is this libetarianism? Nope, you protect the commons or collectivize something because of the real benefits you'd get from that, to real people, today. Not for, what, protecting the sanctity of something abstract. As for harm: can you measure harm? Who the gently caress knows! Does it matter? Not really, as long as you can make some kind of comparison you should be good to go.

I already wrote exactly why they "must" adopt- because they are in constant contact with people who have the new meaning, which they must temporarily adopt in order to effectively communicate, because they are immersed in the outer culture and the new meaning will be taught/known to anyone entering the culture (via birth, marriage, etc.) and they can't just wave their hands and obliterate it from the minds of their children or people that are marrying in. So their choices are to either isolate themselves from the outside, fight back, or be obliterated as a people piece by piece as their culture falls apart with key parts of it ripped out. These are the options available because appropriation-in-the-sense-of-robbing, which I might as well just call "expropriation" can only occur against cultures that are effectively subordinate to another. Thus, expropriation of Japanese culture is very difficult to do because Japan isn't subordinate. However, Japanese-American culture could easily be expropriated, because it's effectively subordinate to the broader American culture. The causes of this subordinate position are ones that you could theoretically address, making them immune from what you call "imposition", but this would be a cure worse than the disease, because it would necessarily involve segregation, or theoretically a deliberate crippling of American cultural production, which would hardly be better and is probably impossible. So the just way is to convince people on the other end to avoid the imposition, and happily, this doesn't involve any great deeds or dreadful demands.

I value cultural diversity because it's a form of intellectual diversity. It offers different viewpoints, different approaches. These things are valuable in and of themselves. But you have declared that you are utterly convinced that people have to directly attack the culture or else it was willingly and freely abandoned by its practitioners. Which is ridiculous, and is tantamount to declaring that racism only exists when people directly admit to hating blacks or Chinese or Roma. If you're absolutely convinced and nothing is likely to sway you, there's no point in further argument.

So, does culture bring no real benefits to people? Because you're insisting that culture is purely abstract and not something that operates in the mind of people, and there are no concrete benefits. The world is no richer for the existence of Paradise Lost or the Sun Dance.

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Well, then, you obviously don't have a problem with cultural appropriation, except when it's the right kind of culture being appropriated from, because you don't figure that the long-term effects are negative.

I don't understand your inclusion of the bold clause.

My point was that -- in contrast to your earlier position -- members of an appropriated culture are still typically free to hold their original rituals if they want. In the hypothetical, this is "outsiders holding Easter egg hunts doesn't stop evangelicals from going to church."

If the culture changes it's because the individual members have decided to adopt new practices. If they choose that route then, evidently, they think that the benefits of their new practices outweigh the costs.

Why should we say that they're "wrong"?

falcon2424 fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Apr 16, 2015

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

falcon2424 posted:

I don't understand your inclusion of the bold clause.

And I'm saying that the appropriated culture is still free to hold their original rituals if they want. In the hypothetical, this is "they can still attend church". It's up to the individual members to decide if they want to preserve a tradition.

If they don't then, evidently, they think that the benefits of their new practices outweigh the costs.

I'm saying that you probably see problems with specific, particular cases but not with the process generally.

This is presuming that people consciously choose to be encultured, which is false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

There are tons of successful black artists what are you talking about. There were successful black artists playing Rock and Roll. There were white and black influences that fed into the genre and literally everyone playing was drawing on prior work as an influence.

There are also tons of artists of all ethnicities who never get picked up and promoted by a label despite being likeable and talented. Only a tiny minority of acts get that kind of support. The music biz has been like that since there was a music biz.

I suppose less successful musicians have been butthurt about that since there was a music biz, too, but so what?

• Locked thread