Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

minato
Jun 7, 2004

cutty cain't hang, say 7-up.
Taco Defender

Suspicious Dish posted:

Feel free to grab one!
It'll go well with the JBL desktop PC speakers:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Im having a strange issue on Mint 17.1 right now.

Ive recently installed the system, everything was working perfectly. Until Ive tried to connect to a Fortinet VPN (using this client https://hadler.me/linux/forticlient-sslvpn-deb-packages/).

I did connect, but after a while I noticed my internet connection wanst working anymore. Cant connect to any URL, in any browser. And just on this system, because the same connection is working fine for my phone and the other PC I have here.

Ive tried disconnecting and reconnecting, Ive tried restarting (several times), Ive rebooted the modem too, nothing changes. Chrome gives me this error message: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG.

What can I do? Please help :(

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Elias_Maluco posted:

Im having a strange issue on Mint 17.1 right now.

Ive recently installed the system, everything was working perfectly. Until Ive tried to connect to a Fortinet VPN (using this client https://hadler.me/linux/forticlient-sslvpn-deb-packages/).

I did connect, but after a while I noticed my internet connection wanst working anymore. Cant connect to any URL, in any browser. And just on this system, because the same connection is working fine for my phone and the other PC I have here.

Ive tried disconnecting and reconnecting, Ive tried restarting (several times), Ive rebooted the modem too, nothing changes. Chrome gives me this error message: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_BAD_CONFIG.

What can I do? Please help :(

Output of "ip route" and "ip addr"

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

jre posted:

Edit:

Is it not that all your traffic is matching the first rule in the input chain and ending up in the FWR chain ?

Should I be using FWR for the ssh rule? Or INPUT & OUTPUT?

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Rule #4 in the FWR chain is rejecting all TCP traffic before reaching the ssh rule.

Edit: Also show us the output of "iptables -vnL" or "iptables-save", since the current output doesn't show when rules are specified only for specific interfaces (which I imagine is the case for FWD #1-2).

code:
[root@jenkins ~]# iptables -vnL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination
  300 41431 FWR        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       127.0.0.1            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:443
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       127.0.0.1            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:443
    0     0 DROP       tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:443
    0     0 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:22

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 135 packets, 17275 bytes)
   51  4248 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp spt:22

Chain FWR (1 references)
    0     0 ACCEPT     all  --  lo     *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
  300 41431 ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    0     0 REJECT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp flags:0x16/0x02 reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
    0     0 REJECT     udp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
[root@jenkins ~]# iptables-save
# Generated by iptables-save v1.4.7 on Tue Apr 14 19:55:37 2015
*filter
:INPUT ACCEPT [0:0]
:FORWARD ACCEPT [0:0]
:OUTPUT ACCEPT [135:17275]
:FWR - [0:0]
-A INPUT -j FWR
-A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -s 127.0.0.1/32 -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j ACCEPT
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 443 -j DROP
-A INPUT -p tcp -m tcp --dport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A OUTPUT -p tcp -m tcp --sport 22 -j ACCEPT
-A FWR -i lo -j ACCEPT
-A FWR -m state --state RELATED,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
-A FWR -p icmp -j ACCEPT
-A FWR -p tcp -m tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST,ACK SYN -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
-A FWR -p udp -j REJECT --reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
COMMIT
# Completed on Tue Apr 14 19:55:37 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

fletcher posted:

Should I be using FWR for the ssh rule? Or INPUT & OUTPUT?

That's totally up to you. But the rules are matched top to bottom, so the very first thing that happens is matching the jump to FWR, then getting rejected. It needs to be before the deny in FWR or before the jump.

I should also tell you that localhost doesn't go through the routing table, so all those rules are useless.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

evol262 posted:

Output of "ip route" and "ip addr"

There you go:

code:
# ip route   
default via 192.168.0.1 dev wlan0  proto static
192.168.0.0/24 dev wlan0  proto kernel  scope link  src 192.168.0.3  metric 9 

# ip addr 
1: lo: <LOOPBACK,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 65536 qdisc noqueue state UNKNOWN group default 
    link/loopback 00:00:00:00:00:00 brd 00:00:00:00:00:00 
    inet 127.0.0.1/8 scope host lo   
       valid_lft forever preferred_lft forever
    inet6 ::1/128 scope host                  
2: eth0: <NO-CARRIER,BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP> mtu 1500 qdisc pfifo_fast state DOWN group default qlen 1000
    link/ether 74:d0:2b:9c:0d:7e brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 
4: wlan0: <BROADCAST,MULTICAST,UP,LOWER_UP> mtu 1500 qdisc mq state UP group default qlen 1000 
    link/ether c0:4a:00:18:5f:f1 brd ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff 
    inet 192.168.0.3/24 brd 192.168.0.255 scope global wlan0 
    inet6 fe80::c24a:ff:fe18:5ff1/64 scope link
EDIT: fixed by changing my nameservers to
code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
in /etc/resolv.conf

I still have no idea how or why that happened.

Thanks anyway for you help.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Apr 14, 2015

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

evol262 posted:

That's totally up to you. But the rules are matched top to bottom, so the very first thing that happens is matching the jump to FWR, then getting rejected. It needs to be before the deny in FWR or before the jump.

I should also tell you that localhost doesn't go through the routing table, so all those rules are useless.

Ah well that makes it easier. Thanks for the help guys, seems like it's working now.

edit: here's what it looks like now

code:
[root@jenkins ~]# iptables -vnL
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)
  315  121K FWR        all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 295 packets, 126K bytes)

Chain FWR (1 references)
  204  109K ACCEPT     all  --  lo     *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
  108 11939 ACCEPT     all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
    0     0 ACCEPT     icmp --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0
    2   116 ACCEPT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:22
    1    44 REJECT     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp flags:0x16/0x02 reject-with icmp-port-unreachable
    0     0 REJECT     udp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

fletcher fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 14, 2015

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Elias_Maluco posted:

code:
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
in /etc/resolv.conf

I still have no idea how or why that happened.

Thanks anyway for you help.

It's really, really common for VPN clients to push new DNS servers so you can resolve internal addresses and not clean up after themselves.

alo
May 1, 2005

With systemd, is there a way to restrict user/group resources much like limits.conf? All of the documentation seems to focus on resource limits for service units. It seems like systemd's integration with cgroups would be more capable/flexible.

It seems almost possible (user.slice exists and each logged in user has their own user-XXXX.slice), but I'm not finding anything useful.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

evol262 posted:

It's really, really common for VPN clients to push new DNS servers so you can resolve internal addresses and not clean up after themselves.

Good to know, I will have to use that drat VPN for a while. Thank you.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Thanks for the questions, guys! Happy to answer anything else.

Thanks for the answers! I wish you guys all the best with the project.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
What's a good Linux-compatible drawing tablet?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Elias_Maluco posted:

Good to know, I will have to use that drat VPN for a while. Thank you.

Back when I was on a VPN, I had to set it up to append their DNS servers to the normal ones I used, and tinker with the routing metrics to make sure I wasn't piping all of my extra internet usage over the VPN.

Didn't need the boss seeing the not-work stuff I did on the internet when I was working from home.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

outlier posted:

Warning: a vague question about unmeasured generalities from a half-competent ...

Thanks to all for the discussion about splitting services / AWs / docker etc. Conscious of how I want to do as little sysadmin as possible, how unlikely anyone is to pick up this stuff after me, and having seen a session on using containers in AWS today, Docker is looking better and better. Self-documenting and lets us decide how we need to deploy later rather than earlier.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
Anyone know what are the 'Killer Apps' of Ubuntu 14.04 LTS? I would especially like to get some sort of Photoshop competitor on my machine. I am aware that Photoshop is not compatible with any versions of Linux

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
A pirated old version of Photoshop running with WINE is the best you will ever do for a free Photoshop competitor.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The de facto imaging program is The Gimp, it has a lot of features Photoshop has but it's user interface is, well, not as good.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Maybe run it in virtualbox in seamless mode

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

spankmeister posted:

The de facto imaging program is The Gimp, it has a lot of features Photoshop has but it's user interface is, well, not as good.
This might be the most charitable thing I've ever read on the internet.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

Suspicious Dish posted:

What I've been doing for the last year has finally come to fruition: https://endlessm.com/

It looks like a headcrab. You said your testing showed people didn't like square boxes, I assume you also tried other simple geometric shapes like a dome, disk, or Apple style trash can?

I think it is strange to have a VGA port, I think a DVI port would make more sense. I don't know what kind of adoption your target market has, but I think older LCD TVs have DVI ports and you can include a passive DVI-VGA adapter. If only DVI had audio, then you could have just one DVI port and an adapter for VGA and another for HDMI (which you could still do with a pig tailed adapter).

What are you using for the offline encyclopedia? Are there any plans to release just the OS?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Crotch Fruit posted:

It looks like a headcrab. You said your testing showed people didn't like square boxes, I assume you also tried other simple geometric shapes like a dome, disk, or Apple style trash can?

I think it is strange to have a VGA port, I think a DVI port would make more sense. I don't know what kind of adoption your target market has, but I think older LCD TVs have DVI ports and you can include a passive DVI-VGA adapter. If only DVI had audio, then you could have just one DVI port and an adapter for VGA and another for HDMI (which you could still do with a pig tailed adapter).

What are you using for the offline encyclopedia? Are there any plans to release just the OS?

Older LCD TVs and a lot of plasmas have VGA. Everything else has HDMI. This has both VGA and HDMI. What's the issue?

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
We tried lots of stuff, yep. I can pull up the renders for the dome, the disk, and the dustbuster.

We did multiple tests: show them a bunch of computers, some ours, some others, and ask "do you want this computer? Yes/no". And then "what do you think this computer costs" and "what would you pay for this computer". The UFO shape you see there was considered the most luxurious, and was actually one of the cheapest molds to make.

Surprisingly, LCD monitors and TVs tended to have VGA more than DVI. It was a transitionary period that went from VGA directly to HDMI. The connector is also huge, and cutting that space helped significantly. Just one of the decisions you have to make in building a product, and we'll see if it was the right decision or not.

For servicing reasons, we'll have an image of EndlessOS available for download to service centers and the general public, but currently there is no support outside of our own computers. You're on your own if you install it on a random laptop.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Tha,ks for answering my questions, but how are you doing the encyclopedia? Also, why is the power button on the side with all of the ports? Seems to me it would make more sense to have the power/video and other permanent cables on the back and the power button and a single USB port in front similar to how all desktop PCs are designed.

I would love to see a few renders of other designs if they are interesting.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
The power button is on the front. It seems our renders are hosed up.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

nmfree posted:

This might be the most charitable thing I've ever read on the internet.

I'm too much of a nice guy I guess

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

not going to put any version of Windows on my machine but thanks for the input in any case

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

Wow, I like GIMP a lot, that's just what I was looking for.. Can't believe I didn't think of that myself earlier.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
let me know when you figure out how to use it. nobody else has yet

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Jokes aside, GIMP isn't that bad once you enable single window mode. I have no loving idea why the multi-window mode is the one enabled by default.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
I hear single window (is that what gimpshop turned into?) is reasonable. But I can't figure out how to do most stuff in Photoshop, either. Or a lot of stuff in Excel. Don't care enough to learn the workflow, and they're all incredibly arcane.

Darktable is supposed to be ok

A3th3r posted:

not going to put any version of Windows on my machine but thanks for the input in any case
WINE is not an emulator.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Probably because single window mode is new and they haven't reached a consensus if they want to make it the default yet.

Honestly GIMP's multiple windows are pretty reasonable if you run it in a dedicated virtual desktop, but that assumes everyone uses virtual desktops.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

karl fungus posted:

Jokes aside, GIMP isn't that bad once you enable single window mode. I have no loving idea why the multi-window mode is the one enabled by default.

Oh poo poo, I had no idea it had that mode. Awesome, thanks for the tip!

rvm
May 6, 2013
The killer features of desktop Linux (by "killer" I mean the kind of stuff I miss when working on Windows machine) are command line (duh), integrated package management, advance window management (it's really frustrating not being able to scroll text in unfocused windows for example), the fact that you can set up your desktop environment any way you like from something like LXDE to Gnome 3 with all the bells and whistles if your hardware supports it, etc.

As for apps, I don't know, I mostly use Firefox, Chrome, Atom (text editor) Libre Office Writer, VLC, Deadbeef, GIMP, Inkscape, mess around with Blender sometimes, all of them (or their just as good or better alternatives) are available on other platforms. I use Tilda dropdown terminal a lot, it's super lightweight and snappy, highly recommended, but you tend not to use terminal as much on other platforms, so yeah. Also, NetworkManager is nice that it has built in support for creating Wi-Fi hotspots.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

karl fungus posted:

GIMP has single window mode? gently caress me.

ExcessBLarg! posted:

Probably because single window mode is new and they haven't reached a consensus if they want to make it the default yet.

Honestly GIMP's multiple windows are pretty reasonable if you run it in a dedicated virtual desktop, but that assumes everyone uses virtual desktops.

...there are people who don't use virtual desktops?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl
IMO, the "killer feature" of a Linux/BSD desktop is tiling WMs, which have no alternative elsewhere.

Also, it's probably the best development environment.

covener
Jan 10, 2004

You know, for kids!

ToxicFrog posted:

I haven't for years. There was a period where I had some bizarre issue and was changing/reconfiguring my DE and I just stopped bothering after a time. I just don't have much need for sets of simultaneously in use windows -- I'll only occasionally pin a small terminal or chat window above some already tabbed app but even that is rare.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001

ToxicFrog posted:

Yes, the hundreds of professional graphic artists who, over the past 15 years, have heard how these "Linux" and "GIMP" things beat the pants off Windows and Photoshop. So they install $distro and start the GIMP, only to find that it spams their desktop with a confusing array of windows and now everything is lost and how the hell do you use this thing?

Then they post on $distoforum complaining about how much the GIMP sucks, how it's completely useless because it doesn't support 24-bit Pantone CYMK mumble colors and the interface is terrible, and go back to Windows.

A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

rvm posted:

The killer features of desktop Linux (by "killer" I mean the kind of stuff I miss when working on Windows machine) are command line (duh), integrated package management, advance window management (it's really frustrating not being able to scroll text in unfocused windows for example), the fact that you can set up your desktop environment any way you like from something like LXDE to Gnome 3 with all the bells and whistles if your hardware supports it, etc.

As for apps, I don't know, I mostly use Firefox, Chrome, Atom (text editor) Libre Office Writer, VLC, Deadbeef, GIMP, Inkscape, mess around with Blender sometimes, all of them (or their just as good or better alternatives) are available on other platforms. I use Tilda dropdown terminal a lot, it's super lightweight and snappy, highly recommended, but you tend not to use terminal as much on other platforms, so yeah. Also, NetworkManager is nice that it has built in support for creating Wi-Fi hotspots.

Very interesting, thanks

IMO virtual machines are pretty overrated.. wouldn't you agree? I feel like they are overkill for most people to do basic photo editing, facebook, email-checking & simple code

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

A3th3r posted:

Very interesting, thanks

IMO virtual machines are pretty overrated.. wouldn't you agree? I feel like they are overkill for most people to do basic photo editing, facebook, email-checking & simple code

Virtual desktops are not the same thing as virtual machines. This may help you understand the concept better.

The use case for virtual machines seems to be totally lost on you either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I personally have gotten used to GIMP's multi-window mode, although I was also aware that single-window mode existed. GIMP reminds me a lot of Photoshop 5.5, which is what I cut my teeth on, and I got so used to multi-window mode that once I ran into a glitch with single-window it was easy enough to just stick with the default.