Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Hmm, that's interesting. I'll probably stick to the iPad version until I see more about this. Thanks.

They are planning on taking all of the expansion decks and including them in the base game, effectively doubling the amount of cards in the game. Last time they re-released Agricola they replaced the animal disks with the animeeples from the "goodies" expansion. I hope with this expansion they replace the wheat/vegetable tokens with the ones from Caverna. Presumably now that they have a wheat/pumpkin shaped lathe it costs them the same amount to make those tokens as it would disks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
Have I missed something here when did Rubitex become Tom Vasel.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Zveroboy posted:

Well, he does like Talisman, so we shouldn't be surprised if he finds dumping everything out of the box to be the best bit of the game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I had a bad experience with my fist time playing Caverna, but then again I've never played Agricola. My honest opinion of Caverna was the game lasted at least 2-3 turns too long (this was with a 6 player game and the game has a set number of turns). All of the fun and building aspect of the game was pretty much gone in favor of just an all-out victory point grab, and by then it was pretty obviously down to two different players competing for first place while the rest of us just watched (for like 2 hours).

I haven't played Agricola, but I like the idea of the game actually being a struggle. In our Caverna game, nobody even came close to running out of food. The early part of the game I felt a little bit of connection with my little dwarf village building meadows and digging out caverns and such, but about halfway through everyone was just in accountant 'if I get three of those and this room I'll get 5 instead of 3 victory points' mode. Also, the 'soldier' mechanic seemed to make certain peoples turns last way longer than they should. To me, it was the equivalent of a card game where somebody plays a 'look through the discard pile and take whatever you want' card. Fun for that person, but everyone else has to sit around forever waiting for them to make their choice.

Of course this opinion all comes from one bad (horribly long) play session, so obviously I am very biased. I'll ask my friend today which he prefers (he is an Agricola addict and was the winner of that Caverna session).

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I had a bad experience with my fist time playing Caverna, but then again I've never played Agricola. My honest opinion of Caverna was the game lasted at least 2-3 turns too long (this was with a 6 player game and the game has a set number of turns). All of the fun and building aspect of the game was pretty much gone in favor of just an all-out victory point grab, and by then it was pretty obviously down to two different players competing for first place while the rest of us just watched (for like 2 hours).

I haven't played Agricola, but I like the idea of the game actually being a struggle. In our Caverna game, nobody even came close to running out of food. The early part of the game I felt a little bit of connection with my little dwarf village building meadows and digging out caverns and such, but about halfway through everyone was just in accountant 'if I get three of those and this room I'll get 5 instead of 3 victory points' mode. Also, the 'soldier' mechanic seemed to make certain peoples turns last way longer than they should. To me, it was the equivalent of a card game where somebody plays a 'look through the discard pile and take whatever you want' card. Fun for that person, but everyone else has to sit around forever waiting for them to make their choice.

Of course this opinion all comes from one bad (horribly long) play session, so obviously I am very biased. I'll ask my friend today which he prefers (he is an Agricola addict and was the winner of that Caverna session).

How many did you play it with?

I found a similar thing with the adventuring, when you have 10 or so options to choose from it may as well say 'Stop the game for five minutes while one player thinks about stuff'

Also, Agricola definitely turns into point accountancy in the last few turns as well, even though it's 'harder' to feed everyone than in Caverna.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm a board/card game newbie, having only really peeked into this world in the last few weeks. After playing a few deckbuilding games that require you to shuffle your (relatively) small deck multiple times, what's the best way you guys like to shuffle that doesn't destroy unsleeved cards?

I figure that riffle shuffling is pretty hard on the cards and almost impossible to do to a small deck. I looked up something called Mongean Shuffling, which seems to be a possible way to break up large pockets of resource cards that end up getting stuck together in a deck (if you do the full shuffle a couple of times). Pile shuffling sounds like a possibility too, but seems like it'd get annoying doing over and over.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
I think the overhand shuffle is the most prevalent shuffling technique. However, I suppose a table (Corgi) shuffle would be best, but it will take slightly longer and requires more room to do.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Apr 16, 2015

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

JazzFlight posted:

This is probably a really dumb question, but I'm a board/card game newbie, having only really peeked into this world in the last few weeks. After playing a few deckbuilding games that require you to shuffle your (relatively) small deck multiple times, what's the best way you guys like to shuffle that doesn't destroy unsleeved cards?

I figure that riffle shuffling is pretty hard on the cards and almost impossible to do to a small deck. I looked up something called Mongean Shuffling, which seems to be a possible way to break up large pockets of resource cards that end up getting stuck together in a deck. Pile shuffling sounds like a possibility too, but seems like it'd get annoying doing over and over.

Shuffling questions are always valid!

I like to do overhand shuffles and I cringe when I see anyone doing a riffle shuffle.

In a game where there's a single draw deck, I do a pile shuffle, pick apart any large groups of identical cards and finish with a few overhand shuffles. In a deckbuilder where there's lots of shuffling, I don't bother with the pile shuffle - I just pick apart groups of identical cards and do 3 or 4 overhand shuffle passes. I might start doing Mongean shuffling instead now because it looks less like rigging your deck, even though the intent is the opposite.

Alternatively, play a bag-of-objects based deckbuilder like Puzzle Strike so you don't need to shuffle at all!

Texibus
May 18, 2008

bobvonunheil posted:

I found a similar thing with the adventuring, when you have 10 or so options to choose from it may as well say 'Stop the game for five minutes while one player thinks about stuff'

Also, Agricola definitely turns into point accountancy in the last few turns as well, even though it's 'harder' to feed everyone than in Caverna.

He played with six people.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

JazzFlight posted:

I figure that riffle shuffling is pretty hard on the cards and almost impossible to do to a small deck. I looked up something called Mongean Shuffling, which seems to be a possible way to break up large pockets of resource cards that end up getting stuck together in a deck (if you do the full shuffle a couple of times). Pile shuffling sounds like a possibility too, but seems like it'd get annoying doing over and over.

My mother and my girlfriend's best friend like to shuffle cards by taking their deck, dealing the cards out into 5 or 6 piles then just stacking the piles back up.

Personally I'll block shuffle, riffle, block then riffle again. Which small decks (like a starting Dominion deck) I'll just do a few block shuffles.

Alternatively, buy a card shuffling machine.

I've never quite understood why people have such a huge aversion to riffle shuffling. I do realise that it's possible for people to get a bit zealous and bend the cards too much, but you really don't have to bend the cards all that much to do it. If you're worried about the edges of the cards getting worn then just get over it. It's a game, it's supposed to be played and wear-and-tear will happen. If all your Dominion cards get a little bit of wear around the edge does it really give anyone any kind of advantage? The only card in all my games that has any kind of identifying mark is the Milan player card in Pandemic. I dropped it from my hand and on reflex caught it between my knees a bit too firmly, bending the card neatly in half and leaving a crease. Big whoop, I know when Milan is coming up in the deck.

Some people at my board gaming club are really anal about it. I've always asked how the game owner would like thier cards shuffled before shuffling, but when playing my own games I have had, on occasion, fellow gamers tell me I shouldn't riffle shuffle because it damages the cards. What annoys me more is when people seem to just loving fail at picking a card up off a table and have to pick at the edges, rather than simply sliding it to the edge or sliding another card underneath to lift it up. Now that does damage the cards.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Texibus posted:

He played with six people.

Man, I read that post like 3 times and didn't see that.

6 is a pretty terrible number to play Caverna with. 4 is probably ideal, with more it takes way too long.

Zveroboy posted:

I've never quite understood why people have such a huge aversion to riffle shuffling. I do realise that it's possible for people to get a bit zealous and bend the cards too much, but you really don't have to bend the cards all that much to do it. If you're worried about the edges of the cards getting worn then just get over it. It's a game, it's supposed to be played and wear-and-tear will happen. If all your Dominion cards get a little bit of wear around the edge does it really give anyone any kind of advantage? The only card in all my games that has any kind of identifying mark is the Milan player card in Pandemic. I dropped it from my hand and on reflex caught it between my knees a bit too firmly, bending the card neatly in half and leaving a crease. Big whoop, I know when Milan is coming up in the deck.

Some people at my board gaming club are really anal about it. I've always asked how the game owner would like thier cards shuffled before shuffling, but when playing my own games I have had, on occasion, fellow gamers tell me I shouldn't riffle shuffle because it damages the cards. What annoys me more is when people seem to just loving fail at picking a card up off a table and have to pick at the edges, rather than simply sliding it to the edge or sliding another card underneath to lift it up. Now that does damage the cards.
The problem is more that some people just bend the poo poo out of the cards when they riffle shuffle, and bent cards don't overhand shuffle well or sit well in a stack. That said I've seen people do good jobs of not bending cards in riffle shuffles but it's the exception more than the rule.

bobvonunheil fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 16, 2015

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bubble-T posted:

This can happen with every deckbuilder, even Dominion. When I teach it to total newbies I usually let them explore for a bit and buy equally random stuff so I don't just crush them, then start pushing the pace before the game actually turns in to a dreadful "we all have 2 copies of each card and no purchasing power" quagmire.

The first game I played solo to teach myself the rules ended up having something like 3 50 card decks on the starter board.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

JazzFlight posted:

Just sleeve your cards, I know its annoying but for deck builders it is pretty much essential with all the shuffling you do

Zveroboy posted:

I have always been Tom Vasel.

Rutibex fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Apr 16, 2015

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

drat Dirty Ape posted:

6 is an awful number to play those games with, 4 maximum IMO.

Having said that your general complaints mirror my issues with the game and I mostly played it 3 player.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I mean, that's pretty much what my Twilight Struggle deck looks like and that only gets shuffled three times a game.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

bobvonunheil posted:

It was a 6 player game. I mean, I know that most of these style games end up in a victory point grab, but it seemed like with Caverna we were in that mode for a few more turns (and hours) longer than other similar kinds of games. It's like everyone already had everything they wanted with 4 turns left to go, and people were just getting whatever they could scrape together until the end, but since the leaders were already ahead they could always scrape together more than everyone else (and with no direct conflict, there wasn't much of anything we could do about it).

I guess I'm somewhat comparing it to a game like Dungeon Lords, where the entire game is an uphill struggle and then at the end you count up the points and see who won. In Caverna it seemed like we raced to the top of the 'hill' halfway through the game, and everyone sort of coasted on the plateau in the same order that we crested the hill the rest of the game.

I'd certainly play it again, but I'd want to bring a timer or something because one of the leaders in the game I played was the same guy who would often take 10-20 minute turns.

Damn Dirty Ape fucked around with this message at 14:55 on Apr 16, 2015

Texibus
May 18, 2008
be nice if they could get more games with plastic card stock like Copag playing cards... man do those bastards hold up and feel great.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

bobvonunheil posted:

In a game where there's a single draw deck, I do a pile shuffle, pick apart any large groups of identical cards and finish with a few overhand shuffles. In a deckbuilder where there's lots of shuffling, I don't bother with the pile shuffle - I just pick apart groups of identical cards and do 3 or 4 overhand shuffle passes. I might start doing Mongean shuffling instead now because it looks less like rigging your deck, even though the intent is the opposite.

I'm not sure I really understand this - either you're separating out the identical cards and then not shuffling enough to properly distribute them, which is pretty much cheating, or you are shuffling enough in which case separating them out in the first place was a waste of time. Am I missing something?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Aston posted:

I'm not sure I really understand this - either you're separating out the identical cards and then not shuffling enough to properly distribute them, which is pretty much cheating, or you are shuffling enough in which case separating them out in the first place was a waste of time. Am I missing something?

Just let him have it, it's not hurting anything. Like those people that makes sure to evenly distribute land cards in their Magic deck before they shuffle

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

They also make me mad.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Rutibex posted:

Just let him have it, it's not hurting anything. Like those people that makes sure to evenly distribute land cards in their Magic deck before they shuffle

Don't even loving start.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
Kem should just get into the hobby games business. Sure, Dominion will be like $120 but those riffle shuffles will be silky smooth.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
even distribution is not randomness *lights a bus on fire*

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Question related to shuffling, as this came up at work just yesterday: how would you feel if your next card-based game (be it a DBG or whatever) was printed on quality playing card style card stock (like nice Bicycle cards and above, not the cheap gas station brand playing cards you may have lying around)? Those cards are meant to be shuffled and not show wear nearly as bad as the more traditional hobby game equivalents. Would it feel too cheap by comparison to today's standards?

Also, I've just heard about these "mana weaving" people that apparently exist in MtG and can't believe it's a real thing people do. Man we nerds are dumb sometimes.

Texibus
May 18, 2008

sonatinas posted:

Kem should just get into the hobby games business. Sure, Dominion will be like $120 but those riffle shuffles will be silky smooth.

Honestly, I bet a fella who could get the licence agreements and card stock could make a good deal of money on "premium" CCG card decks and deck builders like Dominion.

Edit: Did some quick math 3 bucks for 50 sleeves comes out to about .06 per sleeve and a Copag poker card comes out to about .12 a card, maybe regular card stock cost something like .01 or .02. So you figure .08 to .12 might not be that hard of a sale to tell a guy he doesn't need to sleeve these suckers.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Apr 16, 2015

Misandu
Feb 28, 2008

STOP.
Hammer Time.

Merauder posted:

Also, I've just heard about these "mana weaving" people that apparently exist in MtG and can't believe it's a real thing people do. Man we nerds are dumb sometimes.

I remember when someone first told me about that, I tried it for like a week just because I was a dumb teenager. Really it's the same thing as rolling your dice to find the 'good' ones before an RPG, it's bullshit and the only cases where it would ever impact anything you'd be pretty blatantly cheating.

It is sorta funny to think of it as a click bait article for Magic players though. One weird trick that randomization hates!

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

For other people's games I let them do whatever they want. For my own I riffle shuffle big piles, overhand shuffle small piles. If they get worn enough to be a legitimate gameplay issue, well I guess that game gets played enough to earn the right to opaque sleeves. My Marvel Legendary looks like it went through World War III.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

So, as a Dominion fan, I have come to see that the most common complaint is that the draw of each hand is very luck drive, so most players say the game is not fully a test of strategically recognizing powerful combos. Well, I disagree, as long as this method I have been using is in fact legitimate.

Here it is: be intentional about the order in which you clean up your cards. If you are buying a new Treasure Map, and you have one in your hand, make it a point to discard those on top of each other. If you have a couple Provinces that you'd rather not draw at the same time, place a few of the card you are cleaning up between them. Of course, this is only legitimate if players follow the standard gaming rule which is that a deck should be shuffled at least three times before being drawn from. The fact still remains though that if two cards start a shuffle close to each other, they will probably end up close to each other. I find this effective enough that I recommend it to all opponents, because I want them playing at their best, so we can legitimately see whose combos and number of cards in each combo are the most potent. Additionally, this tactic gives players something to do during the downtime of other players' turns.

Now, is there anything in the rules against this maneuver? To be cleaar, this isn't stacking the deck, it is simply increasing the probability that some cards will or will not show up in the same hand.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

you, right now posted:

source your quotes

It was the OP to a BGG thread. He argued for nine pages, even after DXV showed up to say "Uh, no, shuffle better and stop cheating."

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Now, is there anything in the rules against this maneuver? To be cleaar, this isn't stacking the deck, it is simply increasing the probability that some cards will or will not show up in the same hand.

Aside from gained cards that go straight into the discard pile, when my turn is over I just scoop everything up and discard it. Job done.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I have that problem with my BSG cards. I've played the base game to death, so when I got Daybreak the cards are so clean and shiny in comparison you can tell which cards are which by looking at the side of the deck.

I'm not ponying up for tiny FFG card sleeves though, they have enough of my money already.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Merauder posted:

Question related to shuffling, as this came up at work just yesterday: how would you feel if your next card-based game (be it a DBG or whatever) was printed on quality playing card style card stock (like nice Bicycle cards and above, not the cheap gas station brand playing cards you may have lying around)? Those cards are meant to be shuffled and not show wear nearly as bad as the more traditional hobby game equivalents. Would it feel too cheap by comparison to today's standards?

I would rebuy my card games if they were printed on EPCC or LPCC stock.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Heard it here first goons, I'm going into the card business.

bobvonunheil
Mar 18, 2007

Board games and tea

Aston posted:

Shuffling is a flawed practice and I'm doing what I can to smooth out the game experience. If we take Magic: The Gathering as an example, you're basically screwed if there's a chunk of 5 or 6 land cards together, and something like that occuring in a game with a properly randomised deck is statistically highly unlikely to actually occur, so I go through and separate out any chunks of 5 or 6 land, then overhand shuffle it until I'm happy it's mostly randomised again. I only bother doing this with games where having a deck that isn't shuffled properly will cause the play experience to be poor (MtG, Sheriff of Nottingham, Star Realms, etc)

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Actually, it's just as likely to happen as if you got one every other card, two cards, three cards...etc

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Misandu posted:

I remember when someone first told me about that, I tried it for like a week just because I was a dumb teenager. Really it's the same thing as rolling your dice to find the 'good' ones before an RPG, it's bullshit and the only cases where it would ever impact anything you'd be pretty blatantly cheating.

I always make sure that my d20 are sitting on the table with the "20" face side up. This makes the gravity of the Earth pull down on the plastic and gives a slight bias to rolling 20's over time.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
No one touch my dice, okay? I've spent a long time training them to roll high and I don't want anyone messing them up with their fingers.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
My dice are evaluated monthly. The ones that make the cut get to watch while I take a hammer to the bad ones, just as a warning.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Has anyone Kickstarted a dice calibration system yet? I don't ask for exploitative and shady reasons at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Rutibex posted:

I always make sure that my d20 are sitting on the table with the "20" face side up. This makes the gravity of the Earth pull down on the plastic and gives a slight bias to rolling 20's over time.
You are using up the 20s that way, there's a limited supply of them and that way you are just pre-using your supply before the game even begins.