Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Fried Chicken posted:

The Western Conservative Summit is one of the bigger gatherings of the right, with a bunch of influential people gathering there. Among those scheduled to speak at the upcoming one are Walker, Carson, Santorum, Fiorina, Huckabee, and Perry.

And they just barred the Log Cabin Republicans from attending in the grounds they "advocate contrary to our agenda and our core beliefs" per statement from the summit chairman.

I despair for the rebranding

So, GOProud disbanded after getting shunned by CPAC something like 5 years in a row, right? What's the over/under that LCR is going to disband before the next midterms?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

So, GOProud disbanded after getting shunned by CPAC something like 5 years in a row, right? What's the over/under that LCR is going to disband before the next midterms?

LCR is almost 40 years old and despite the shouting bigot minority the Republican party is becoming more gay friendly not less.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

zoux posted:

LCR is almost 40 years old and despite the shouting bigot minority the Republican party is becoming more gay friendly not less.

What has the GOP done to be more gay friendly? I feel like I missed something.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Charles and David Koch are well known for their business success, their generous philanthropic efforts and for their focus on innovation in management. Some also know them for their activism in the political realm. All of these are important contributions to society. What is underappreciated is their passion for freedom and their commitment to ideas. Unlike many crony capitalists who troll the halls of Congress looking for favors, the Kochs have consistently lobbied against special-interest politics." ~ Rand Paul

I know its a lie, but weren't the Kochs found giving money o a organization that chiefly lobbies for oil subsidies?

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

Every major Republican presidential candidate came out in support of Indiana's RFRA law, which would have allowed businesses to discriminate against gay customers.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

DaveWoo posted:

Every major Republican presidential candidate came out in support of Indiana's RFRA law, which would have allowed businesses to discriminate against gay customers.

Yeah that's called "pandering to the loud bigot minority" but in terms of general rhetoric and nationwide opinion, the RNC can see which way the wind is blowing.

If they passed the Indiana law in 2006, they sure as poo poo wouldn't be backing away from it and promising to reform it like they are now. There has been a sea change in public opinion regarding gay rights in the last 10 years and while there are plenty of shitheads remaining, the smart money is on gay marriage becoming a thing and a number of prominent republicans have "evolved" on gay rights.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Joementum posted:

Quote of the morning, "Charles and David Koch are well known for their business success, their generous philanthropic efforts and for their focus on innovation in management. Some also know them for their activism in the political realm. All of these are important contributions to society. What is underappreciated is their passion for freedom and their commitment to ideas. Unlike many crony capitalists who troll the halls of Congress looking for favors, the Kochs have consistently lobbied against special-interest politics." ~ Rand Paul

:stare:

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly despise Randy any more than I already do.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

DaveWoo posted:

All while denying it has anything to do with gay people. They're still terrible about GLBT issues, but they have to be more canny now that homophobia is becoming less palatable.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

Rexicon1 posted:

What do you call it when you can use words that have very specific meanings in any form you'd like for any purpose you'd like including using it in the most ironic possible manner? "Death of Language"?

Newspeak TBH.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

zoux posted:

Yeah that's called "pandering to the loud bigot minority" but in terms of general rhetoric and nationwide opinion, the RNC can see which way the wind is blowing.

If they passed the Indiana law in 2006, they sure as poo poo wouldn't be backing away from it and promising to reform it like they are now. There has been a sea change in public opinion regarding gay rights in the last 10 years and while there are plenty of shitheads remaining, the smart money is on gay marriage becoming a thing and a number of prominent republicans have "evolved" on gay rights.

Then why still do it? Going from weekly f**-drags to supporting RFRA doesn't scream LGBT friendly to me.

Edmund Lava posted:

All while denying it has anything to do with gay people. They're still terrible about GLBT issues, but they have to be more canny now that homophobia is becoming less palatable.

Seriously it's why dog-whistle is a thing. They can still be closeted homophobes.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Edmund Lava posted:

They felt it was worth the effort to use dog whistle with regard to talking about black Americans and policies concerning the theft of Whites wealth distributed to them.

LGBT people get no such subtleties. They'll make it pretty clear what they think and how, non-hetero people may as well be in ISIS.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The question was "are Log Cabin Republicans on the way out" and my response is that the voices within the GOP that were fine with kicking GOProud out of CPAC aren't as dominant in the party anymore, meaning that LCR isn't going anywhere. I'm not trying to say that they are great on LGBT issues or whatever, they aren't. But they are better than they were when the RNC was using gay rights as a wedge issue to drive social values voters to the polls in 02-06.

Ralepozozaxe
Sep 6, 2010

A Veritable Smorgasbord!
The Civil Rights Act has passed, and because of it racism is over.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Joementum posted:

It appeals to Rand Paul's Libertarian side. Money talks :allears:

amanasleep
May 21, 2008
WE PETITION THE OBAMA ADMINISTRATION TO:

Abolish the office of Vice President and appoint Joe Biden Maester of the Realm, a new office held for life.

Whitehouse.gov posted:

We ask President Obama to support a constitutional amendment that abolishes the office of Vice President and creates a new office, held for life, called Maester of the Realm. The Maester would be a scholar and healer who would serve the United States and advise the President no matter who holds that office.

We further ask President Obama to appoint Joe Biden as the first Maester. Maester Biden would be uniquely qualified for such a position. In addition to six years' experience as a close advisor to the President, he is unsurpassed in his learnedness and wisdom. Future presidents would be extremely fortunate to receive Maester Biden's sage advice.

Published Date: Apr 16, 2015
Issues: Government Reform
Learn about Petition Thresholds

SIGNATURES NEEDED BY MAY 16, 2015 TO REACH GOAL OF 100,000: 99,995 TOTAL SIGNATURES ON THIS PETITION: 5

Make it happen, goons.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

What the fuckity gently caress.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

zoux posted:

The question was "are Log Cabin Republicans on the way out" and my response is that the voices within the GOP that were fine with kicking GOProud out of CPAC aren't as dominant in the party anymore, meaning that LCR isn't going anywhere. I'm not trying to say that they are great on LGBT issues or whatever, they aren't. But they are better than they were when the RNC was using gay rights as a wedge issue to drive social values voters to the polls in 02-06.

This narrative doesn't seem to have any evidence supporting it.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

No thanks.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

SedanChair posted:

This narrative doesn't seem to have any evidence supporting it.

http://www.nationaljournal.com/magazine/gay-marriage-republican-party-stance-20150327

quote:

Support for gay marriage has grown by 11 percentage points among Republicans since 2011, according to Alex Lundry, a pollster for Project Right Side, a group created by one of the most influential, openly gay men in the party, former Republican National Committee Chairman Ken Mehlman. "The Republican Party is fast approaching a majority on support of gay marriage," Lundry says. "I want to be clear: We're not at that yet. But we're getting there."

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vudnMLzZjTg

Rand Paul 2016!

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

I'm all for Biden being Maester of the realm if he has to wear a cool robe and walk with an ornate staff.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Log Cabin Republicans are LGBT people that desperately want to join the "gently caress the Poor" club, but can't accept that pandering to ignorant bigots is a core strategy of the Republican Party.

There's a similar thing going on in Canada, where the gradual acceptance of gay marriage and the Conservative PM being more or less silent on social issues has encouraged a whole new group of gay FYGM types to openly advocate for the Conservative Party's regressive policies vis-a-vis other groups. You'd think being part of a minority group that's suffered systemic discrimination would give one a degree of empathy towards other disempowered groups, but such is after all the very definition of "gently caress You Got Mine".

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Got anything other than pariah Ken Mehlman's poll?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PhilippAchtel posted:

Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems to me that Log Cabin Republicans are LGBT people that desperately want to join the "gently caress the Poor" club, but can't accept that pandering to ignorant bigots is a core strategy of the Republican Party.

There's a similar thing going on in Canada, where the gradual acceptance of gay marriage and the Conservative PM being more or less silent on social issues has encouraged a whole new group of gay FYGM types to openly advocate for the Conservative Party's regressive policies vis-a-vis other groups. You'd think being part of a minority group that's suffered systemic discrimination would give one a degree of empathy towards other disempowered groups, but such is after all the very definition of "gently caress You Got Mine".

A lot of people care more about their bank accounts than their civil rights. I got in a huge argument with my Republican gay uncle about this one time, and I was baffled that he would support a group that thinks he's a disease.

SedanChair posted:

You got any counter evidence?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

SedanChair posted:

History? The gay rights debate is following the same route as interracial marriage, its unlikely that a ban or someone opposed to it will win the White House, considering polls are showing even Evangelicals are starting to come over to the side of being okay with gay marriage.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Y'all do recognize that the GOP slowly coming around on gay marriage is a good thing right? It may not mean that they cleave to their terribly regressive views until they die fiery deaths in your accelerationism fantasies and be punished for their sins, but it does mean that your friends and family members will get more and more equality under the law as it becomes less acceptable to demonize gay rights in public rhetoric.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

zoux posted:

Y'all do recognize that the GOP slowly coming around on gay marriage is a good thing right? It may not mean that they cleave to their terribly regressive views until they die fiery deaths in your accelerationism fantasies and be punished for their sins, but it does mean that your friends and family members will get more and more equality under the law as it becomes less acceptable to demonize gay rights in public rhetoric.

Its really not because it makes raising money from the gay lobby and gay interests that much more difficult for Democrats.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

zoux posted:

Right. I don't think anyone here believes the GOP is anything but a party of screaming bigots, but the fact that they have to use dog whistles when we had sodomy laws being enforced 16 years ago is still progress.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
http://www.bloomberg.com/politics/articles/2015-04-15/bloomberg-politics-national-poll-finds-deep-partisan-split-on-israel-and-iran

quote:

Republicans by a ratio of more than 2-to-1 say the U.S. should support Israel even when its stances diverge with American interests, a new Bloomberg Politics poll finds. Democrats, by roughly the same ratio, say the opposite is true and that the U.S. must pursue its own interests over Israel's.

Further illustrating how sharply partisan the debate has become, Republicans say they feel more sympathetic to Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu than to their own president, 67 percent to 16 percent, while Democrats are more sympathetic to President Barack Obama than to Israel's prime minister, 76 percent to 9 percent.

:patriot:

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

SedanChair posted:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...o-gay-marriage/

caveat: I have read the article but not the underlying poll.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I really can't understand this logic at all. I mean I can get that they like ultra right wing Bibi over Obama, that makes sense. However the idea that Israel should be a priority over their own country is crazy to me, especially from people that roll themselves up in the Ultra Patriot persona.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Radish posted:

I really can't understand this logic at all. I mean I can get that they like ultra right wing Bibi over Obama, that makes sense. However the idea that Israel should be a priority over their own country is crazy to me, especially from people that roll themselves up in the Ultra Patriot persona.

The only moral God drat America is...

It is a curious divergence to their usual hypernationalist rhetoric, likely the evangelical side of the party overriding the flag pin brigade.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Radish posted:

If a Republican made the deal the GOP side would look very different, it's just generic Obama hate. The Democrat side would look the same cuss let's face it Schumer manages to stay elected in perpetuity.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES
Gonna laugh at all of you "Trollbama Best Obama :allears:" folks when he trolls you with the TPP.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
OK, you guys check in with me about 6 more months into the election cycle. We'll see what the candidates have worked themselves around to saying about gay rights.

e:

Amergin posted:

Gonna laugh at all of you "Trollbama Best Obama :allears:" folks when he trolls you with the TPP.

The rear end-fuckings are a given at this point. We just like it when he fucks people other than us every once in a while.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Amergin posted:

Yeah that really sucks but it's not that surprising from Obama.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Amergin posted:

Yeah, that's pretty lovely. But more money for the plutocrats always comes first.

Why can't he do something like the NAU instead.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Out of curiosity, are there any good numbers on what % of Americans consider themselves Democrats vs Republicans in TYOOL 2015?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Amergin posted:

He's still doing great trolling work with that, its just trolling the non-rich.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dammit Wyden, you're usually on the right side of things but not this one

• Locked thread