Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

THE SOUND A WET FART MAKES

Atoramos posted:

Out of curiosity, are there any good numbers on what % of Americans consider themselves Democrats vs Republicans in TYOOL 2015?

27/44/28 split R/I/D, 44/42 R/D with "leaners"/pushing independents to one or the other, as of March 2015.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Amergin posted:

44/42 R/D with "leaners"/pushing independents to one or the other, as of March 2015.

gross.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Radish posted:

I really can't understand this logic at all. I mean I can get that they like ultra right wing Bibi over Obama, that makes sense. However the idea that Israel should be a priority over their own country is crazy to me, especially from people that roll themselves up in the Ultra Patriot persona.

The idea is that you cannot betray Israel's interests for political expediency in America. What is the line that separates national interest from political expediency? Is it better to take a bad deal than bomb in response to no deal? Is bombing political expediency, or is it the national interest?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

44% of Americans too indecisive to just make up their goddamn minds already!

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

My Imaginary GF posted:

The idea is that you cannot betray Israel's interests for political expediency in America. What is the line that separates national interest from political expediency? Is it better to take a bad deal than bomb in response to no deal? Is bombing political expediency, or is it the national interest?

Or the idea is that Bibi is a conservative and Obama is a liberal. Hell if conservatives could name him, they'd probably prefer the UK PM over Obama.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Amergin posted:

Or the idea is that Bibi is a conservative and Obama is a liberal. Hell if conservatives could name him, they'd probably prefer the UK PM over Obama.

Don't tell them about Tony Abbot being a Liberal :ohdear:

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

My Imaginary GF posted:

The idea is that you cannot betray Israel's interests for political expediency in America.

That idea seems to be losing steam, if you don't mind my saying so.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

zoux posted:

Don't tell them about Tony Abbot being a Liberal :ohdear:

Speaking of, if anyone keeps up with AUSPOL, is Tony still eating raw, whole onions left and right?

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

:stare:

Just when I thought I couldn't possibly despise Randy any more than I already do.

I read Koch bros, then I read lobbied against special interests, the only other thing I remember is a loud ringing noise and vomiting.

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 16, 2015

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

DaveWoo posted:

Every major Republican presidential candidate came out in support of Indiana's RFRA law, which would have allowed businesses to discriminate against gay customers.

quote:

You start out in 1980 by saying, "human being, human being, human being." By 1994 you can't say "human being" — that hurts you. Backfires. So you say stuff like religious freedom law, states' rights and all that stuff. You're getting so abstract now [that] you're talking about DADT, and all these things you're talking about are totally freedom and morality things and a byproduct of them is [that] gays get hurt worse than heteros. And subconsciously maybe that is part of it. I'm not saying that. But I'm saying that if it is getting that abstract, and that coded, that we are doing away with the homosexual problem one way or the other. You follow me — because obviously sitting around saying, "We want to promote religious freedom," is much more abstract than even the gays in the military thing, and a hell of a lot more abstract than "human being, human being."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Amergin posted:

Right up till they saw he raised taxes.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

http://fox17online.com/2015/04/15/grandville-business-owner-says-bring-in-guns-but-gays-stay-away/

quick set up the indiegogo!

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Well-said, Lee.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

How does he tell who's gay? Is it a don't ask don't tell situation or does he have some kind of working gaydar in the back room he checks every time someone comes in?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

RevKrule posted:

How does he tell who's gay? Is it a don't ask don't tell situation or does he have some kind of working gaydar in the back room he checks every time someone comes in?

C'mon. You can tell.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

quote:

We, as a team, work hard for whats ours. We are not protected by unions or contracts. We absolutely MUST provide our customers with a service level that would make them come back or tell their friends about us. We don’t have a “right”, and we are not “entitled” to our pay. We must EARN it.

Wait, he's against contracts as well? So he'd be cool with me bringing in my (totally not gay honest) pickup truck, doing repair work on it and then me not paying him if I didn't feel he "earned" his pay? What about mechanic's insurance? Is this just some reactionary bullshit against people he perceives as "overly legalistic" or what?

The rest of it is pretty standard, so this is really odd.

EDIT: I mean hell, even the more ardent, anti-government libertarian lives and breathes contracts.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

RevKrule posted:

Seriously, this moron has probably served multiple gay customers.

Your a mechanic, not a loving priest. You know this is all about the exposure and money in the end. Hypocrite.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Seriously, this moron has probably served multiple gay customers.

Your a mechanic, not a loving priest. You know this is all about the exposure and money in the end. Hypocrite.

I'd be willing to bet real money this is the only reason why he did this since getting a $500k payout for publicly trash talking gays just means he gets a $500k payout for saying what he usually says at the bar.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Some of us intentionally register with neither party to make it harder for them to gerrymander everything. Sometimes I register R for the same purpose. Plus for polls rather than simple voter registration I still don't affiliate with either because they don't represent my interests. Maybe 44% of Americans feel the same.

Relentlessboredomm fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 16, 2015

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Most of that 44% vote straight one party, they are just teabaggers not wanting to be lumped in with those "rinos" or leftists who think that the dems are the lesser of two evils.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I know how I will vote, but don't see the value in registering for a party.

Amergin
Jan 29, 2013

hangedman1984 posted:

Most of that 44% vote straight one party, they are just teabaggers not wanting to be lumped in with those "rinos" or leftists who think that the dems are the lesser of two evils.

If you looked at the numbers it's actually about half R-leaning, half D-leaning.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

hangedman1984 posted:

:emo:

I've been registered independent since my 18th birthday.

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

Amergin posted:

If you looked at the numbers it's actually about half R-leaning, half D-leaning.

As usual, you cannot read:

hangedman1984 posted:

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

I am also unregistered but for all practical purposes am a Democrat.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Weird, I'm a registered Democrat but I'm not one at all.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I'm a registered Democrat who should glue his mailbox shut.

A Winner is Jew posted:

He can probably still out run him.

:eyepop:

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Apr 16, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
Democrats are cool, yall.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The mail my parents always got as registered Democrats made me think they had registered their undying love for the Party, and I sure as poo poo am not willing to do anything like that.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Venom Snake posted:

Democrats are cool, yall.

Oh Lord no.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Samurai Sanders posted:

The mail my parents always got as registered Democrats made me think they had registered their undying love for the Party, and I sure as poo poo am not willing to do anything like that.

You can love a party and still be critical of it.

zoux posted:

Oh Lord no.

I hope FDR's ghost kills you.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Venom Snake posted:

I hope FDR's ghost kills you.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

A Winner is Jew posted:

That's not very fair. The only true option is a game of Marco Polio.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Why don't we have a semi-permanent to advise governments but doesn't have all that much power?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

A Winner is Jew posted:

Gravel Gravy posted:

That's not very fair. The only true option is a game of Marco Polio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R898wegx6Y&t=70s

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
In which Matt Walsh says "BOOTSTRAPS! BOOTSTRAPS!!!"why yes I am a white man why do you ask:

quote:

Fast Food Workers: You Don’t Deserve $15 an Hour to Flip Burgers, and That’s OK

I’ve gotten a much bigger response out of this than I expected. It turns out many people are just as sick of the self-entitled attitude permeating through our culture. It also turns out quite a lot of people, on the other side of this issue, actually believe 15 bucks an hour for entry level fast food work is a reasonable plan. Pretty disturbing, actually.

From those (delusional) folks, I’ve heard a few primary counter arguments. I’d like to go through some of them here:

1) “If we give all of the teenagers at Wendy’s and Burger King 29 thousand dollar salaries, they’ll spend it and rejuvenate the economy!”

Yes, I agree they’ll probably spend it, and that’s part of the hazard. When you work your way up the ladder and achieve a higher salary, you hopefully develop, along the way, the discipline required to both attain and maintain it. It’s funny that people mention reckless spending as, somehow, a BENEFIT of handing ridiculous salaries to fast food workers. It might be true that our economy depends on people spending foolishly, but that is a dynamic we should be trying to break, not reinforce. In any case, there’s also the unfortunate reality that, if you give millions of people an enormous collective raise overnight, living expenses across the country will also see an enormous collective raise overnight. One hypothetical example: a landlord in a low income part of Baltimore County rents to primarily low wage workers in the service industry. He charges what he can to turn a profit, but not much more because he doesn’t want to price himself out of the market. Then one day he turns on the TV and sees “all low wage workers just got an almost 100 percent pay increase!”

Guess what he does?

It’s called economics, people. Look it up.

2) “If we don’t give them 15 an hour, we’ll just have to subsidize them with welfare.”

False choice, false premise, false dichotomy, false everything. Yes, it might be true that our welfare system is out of control, so much so that even a perfectly able bodied, fully employed single young person can eat out of the government subsidies trough. But, again, the answer is to get the Nanny State under control, not to use it as a means to hold the rest of us hostage.
Talk about entitlement. Is there any greater example of an entitled attitude than someone saying: “I demand you either give me a raise or subsidize my lifestyle with tax money!” The answer is to break people of that dependence, not transfer it from one place to the next.

3) “But… But… CEOs…”

Stop it. Stop it. Just stop it. Yes, CEOs are often wealthy. Yes, sometimes they’re incompetent and selfish and greedy. Yes, they should, morally speaking, share their wealth through charity and other endeavors. Yes, all of these things are true, but it doesn’t make your menial job any less menial. And when I say menial, I mean that, as a fast food entry level worker, you are doing a job that literally any human above the age of reason can do.

Not insulting you, just giving it to you straight.

So whether the CEO is a greedy scumbag or not, that doesn’t change the reality that your job just isn’t that valuable, monetarily speaking. It’s good that you confront this, as I did when I worked those jobs, because it might compel you to go do something more worthwhile and lucrative.

As far as the CEOs go, some might be bad, but plenty are in that position because they’re very, very, very good at what they do. Drop the childish, simplistic, Robin Hood bull crap. The fact is, running a huge multi-million dollar company isn’t easy. You probably couldn’t do it. If you could, you would, I guarantee it. So they make more than you because their job is about a million times more stressful and more important and more complicated and more consequential. They have thousands of people, including you, relying on them.

They should get paid pretty well. And besides, envy won’t get you anywhere, friends.

He's somehow equally as offensive as Rush with a tiny percentage of the following and everything he writes just makes me want to :suicide101:

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 16, 2015

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yes. Stop it. Stop using the extremely good counterpoint that if we're talking about deserving money, that no one in the whole world has ever done anything that would entitle them to the kinds of salaries that CEOs make. That is a good argument and therefore I don't want to hear it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

quote:

It turns out many people are just as sick of the self-entitled attitude permeating through our culture.

I agree, Comrade. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. It is every citizen's final duty to go into the recycling tanks.

Homura and Sickle
Apr 21, 2013

a shameful boehner posted:

In which Matt Walsh says "BOOTSTRAPS! BOOTSTRAPS!!!"why yes I am a white man why do you ask:

He's somehow equally as offensive as Rush with a tiny percentage of the following and everything he writes just makes me want to :suicide101:

At first I thought "why the gently caress is Mike from Veep of all people saying this" and then I clicked on the link and it's some Edward Snowden looking motherfucker? Who is this idiot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhilippAchtel
May 31, 2011

a shameful boehner posted:

I was going to type a response refuting his points, but just... why? Why even bother. If you don't understand the value of paying employees a proper wage (as opposed to that captain of menial labour, Henry Ford, who famously advocated good wages), can't see how the welfare system subsidizes cheap owners as much as it supports the poor, and don't see the embarrassment of your country having salary ratios of CEO : average employee of 400+ to 1, what will ever convince you?

• Locked thread