Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cozz
Jun 19, 2005

Perhaps you need to... reverse... his polarity? Hack? Do some hacking?

Bad Seafood posted:

Well I'll admit, another small part of it is just wanting something long-running in the background. A good downtime show you can watch whenever. I tend to burn through comics pretty fast whereas anime I'm more inclined to take my time, so in this case the more "Efficient" experience isn't what I'm after.

Fair enough. I was able to breeze through the manga in a week whereas 222 hours is a lot more of a time investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Just a slow IV drip of kung fu anime to get me through the hard times.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
I remembered that Yamcha fight, but thought it was Olibu and Pikkon that he beat up.

Contiinuing my ability to remember 99% of DBZ but mess up the small, significant parts.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, when I mentioned Pikkon coming back I was thinking of Fusion Reborn.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Didn't Pikkon wear his weighted clothing when he beat Olibu? He took it off when he fought SSJ Goku.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Mraagvpeine posted:

Didn't Pikkon wear his weighted clothing when he beat Olibu? He took it off when he fought SSJ Goku.

Yeah his hat and his jacket are both weighted. But like a lot of weighted clothing it's forgotten about rapidly; he doesn't take it off to fight Janemba in Fusion Reborn I don't think.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Covok posted:

Holy poo poo, Yamcha is wining a fight. It's filler, but, still, it's unprecedented.

He's pumped because he's finally where he belongs, the afterlife.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kild posted:

:stare:

drat....harsh.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Kild posted:

loving rekt. Just...loving rekt.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Kild posted:

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Kild posted:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.

Pureauthor posted:

I think I would have hated this franchise if I ever had to watch it in a format that isn't DBZAbridged.

this circle jerk is out of control

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

this circle jerk is out of control

Not really. I wouldn't be able to sit through DBZ again these days outside of select favorite episodes. It might surprise you but a person's preferences for pacing and content change as they grow older. DBZ has a fun cast, great concepts, and a mostly solid story, but God the pacing, the recaps, the animation inconsistencies and errors...only a preteen can look at that with an unvarnished eye. I'm grateful to DBZA for giving me a way to recapture the fun I had watching it as a kid without forcing me to fast forward through loads of intolerable reaction shots to get to the goods. The only way I have fun consuming unaltered DBZ is by reading the manga.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

DBZA was a great way for an old-time fan of the show like myself to get back into it and I certainly couldn't watch the original show again due to the aforementioned problems, but isn't Kai a pretty decent revision of it (aside from missing the awesome 90s synth-metal soundtrack)? Calling the whole thing literally unwatchable seems a little extreme

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Remember that time Piccolo, Yamcha, and Tien killed Broly during the Saiyan saga? That was rad.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
idk if i'd like the series at all, because of a few key factors. first and foremost is that if i had grown up without dbz, i would be a much less honorable man, less integriy, willingness to protect my friends + comrades etc. secondly, as a male with low t (in this scenario in which i did not view the show) i would probably have horrible taste and be like "this is garbage. im going to watch frasier or some other associated piece of crap boring real life anime." my final point is that, i don't think i would find dbza funny, so there are few mediums through which i would be able to access the content.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
No idea what you are talking about, a Frasier anime would be rad as hell!

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I've been going through Kai, it's definitely a better choice than watching the original anime but it still drags on at times (Namek still takes far too long). That said, I have no idea why anyone would want to read the manga, the voice actors have completely become their characters after years of doing them, and the fight scenes are what everyone thinks of when they think Dragon Ball Z. Reading the manga means losing that, and having done so myself, it is a far less exciting experience.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

Blaze Dragon posted:

I have no idea why anyone would want to read the manga, the voice actors have completely become their characters after years of doing them, and the fight scenes are what everyone thinks of when they think Dragon Ball Z. Reading the manga means losing that, and having done so myself, it is a far less exciting experience.

Reading the manga is fuckin' great and I won't hear otherwise.

First of all, saying the manga is inferior because you can't hear the voices is like saying books are inferior because you can't watch them. :wtc:

Second, it's a worthwhile experience because it's a FUN read. Gags and humor are snappier. Fight scenes often are weightier. The composition is excellent, if you guys want to see it I'll make an effort post about how on nearly every page Toriyama draws he guides the eye to focal points integral to the story AND maintains clarity at all times including in fight scenes. The pacing is again, excellent - and not just from being a comic but due to Toriyama's panel layouts. The way a panel is structured, its dimensions, and the position of the figures inside it communicate the passage of time, and Toriyama is a master of indicating exactly how long each moment lasts. This is another thing that I see happening all the time in American indie comics but ignored in mainstream comics. Toriyama says as much in his blank spaces as he does in the spaces in which he scribbles lines. I went through a big anime/manga phase in high school so I have read a LOT of manga, and even a lot of mangas don't get it right. Toriyama is a loving great comics artist.

OK that does it, when I get home I'm gonna write up a big art feature.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

e X posted:

No idea what you are talking about, a Frasier anime would be rad as hell!

How would the saiyan saga have gone if they brought Fraiser to the lookout instead of Yamcha?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Xibanya posted:

Reading the manga is fuckin' great and I won't hear otherwise.

First of all, saying the manga is inferior because you can't hear the voices is like saying books are inferior because you can't watch them. :wtc:

Second, it's a worthwhile experience because it's a FUN read. Gags and humor are snappier. Fight scenes often are weightier. The composition is excellent, if you guys want to see it I'll make an effort post about how on nearly every page Toriyama draws he guides the eye to focal points integral to the story AND maintains clarity at all times including in fight scenes. The pacing is again, excellent - and not just from being a comic but due to Toriyama's panel layouts. The way a panel is structured, its dimensions, and the position of the figures inside it communicate the passage of time, and Toriyama is a master of indicating exactly how long each moment lasts. This is another thing that I see happening all the time in American indie comics but ignored in mainstream comics. Toriyama says as much in his blank spaces as he does in the spaces in which he scribbles lines. I went through a big anime/manga phase in high school so I have read a LOT of manga, and even a lot of mangas don't get it right. Toriyama is a loving great comics artist.

OK that does it, when I get home I'm gonna write up a big art feature.

Please do, Toriyama get's so much poo poo these days and it seems a lot of people only seems to know him as the guy who forgets important plot details, which is really not fair to the guy, since he is pretty good author and, like you said, actually a fantastic manga artist.

e X fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Apr 16, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

A Steampunk Gent posted:

DBZA was a great way for an old-time fan of the show like myself to get back into it and I certainly couldn't watch the original show again due to the aforementioned problems, but isn't Kai a pretty decent revision of it (aside from missing the awesome 90s synth-metal soundtrack)? Calling the whole thing literally unwatchable seems a little extreme

Not sure if you were responding to me, but I didn't call the whole thing unwatchable. (I literally said "only a preteen can look at [DBZ] with an unvarnished eye," ie, only a preteen can view it uncritically.) What has happened is that every time I go back to rewatch some DBZ (which usually happens at least once per year) is that I start and then end up skipping large portions of it (clicking ahead in the bar on youtube/vlc, jumping around looking for the next "good part") because I'm so fed up with reaction shots and boring poo poo where nothing happens. While acceptable, it's nice to have something where I can put it on and sit back and watch the whole thing passively.

I haven't seen Kai yet, I might check it out for Saiyan saga but I've heard Namek is still slow, so one might as well go to DBZA or the manga for that one.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Blaze Dragon posted:

I've been going through Kai, it's definitely a better choice than watching the original anime but it still drags on at times (Namek still takes far too long). That said, I have no idea why anyone would want to read the manga, the voice actors have completely become their characters after years of doing them, and the fight scenes are what everyone thinks of when they think Dragon Ball Z. Reading the manga means losing that, and having done so myself, it is a far less exciting experience.

The Dragonball manga is legit amazing. I'd never even qualify it by saying it's something I liked as a kid, or dumb action fun or anything, it's should definitely be on the list of must read comics for anyone. I'd recommend it before I'd ever recommend the anime (even with Kai) to anyone.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Rodyle posted:

is this thread just cyclical

Nah, the past couple pages have just been self-parody of the rest of the thread.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
How long until somebody starts absorbing all the other posters?

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

I actually read the manga early last year because, despite being a fan of DBZ from a young age, I'd never actually seen the whole thing. And I did, right from the start. And it was fantastic, I went through it in around two weeks. I never once thought about going through the long, tedious process of the anime, I have better things to do with my time and if I watched the anime as much as I read the manga, I wouldn't have made it halfway. I loved watching it as a kid, but now, there's a million things to do.

I also read it in the DBZA voices. :smuggo:

That kinda didn't work for the latter half of DBZ, since TFS had only just started the Android Saga, but LK did a great Freeza voice, so it worked out.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

The only thing wrong with DBZA's voices IMO is Goku. Their Goku voice is the only one, among the entire cast, which just never really worked for me. Everything else more or less is perfect for me.

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude

Raxivace posted:

The only thing wrong with DBZA's voices IMO is Goku. Their Goku voice is the only one, among the entire cast, which just never really worked for me. Everything else more or less is perfect for me.

Different strokes I suppose, I think MasakoX works pretty great.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

The Dragonball manga holds up excellently. I also can't watch the anime any more because it so obviously drags along to the point of madness. I don't even know if I have ever sen any media that obviously drags things out as much as it does. As a kid, it wasn't as transparent, but now, it's terrible.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

e X posted:

DBZA Goku works incredible in DBZA, but if I was trying to read DBZ in that voice it probably would fit awkwardly at best. Maybe Krillin too but I'm not sure on that note.

The others are perfect, both in matching the originals and adding their own character.

Amorphous Blob
Jun 26, 2009

by Lowtax

(and can't post for 2 years!)

Raxivace posted:

Yeah I freaking hate Goku's voice too.

As far as watching DBZ goes, the poor pacing worked in it's favor when you catch 2 episodes every weekday and I can't imagine viewing it any other way.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

e X posted:

He sounds a lot more like Ocean Goku than he does Schemmel Goku.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
I am home from work now and composing a multi-part effort post on the art of Dragonball, but in the meantime please enjoy this little comic I whipped up in MS paint just for you.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Xibanya posted:

I am home from work now and composing a multi-part effort post on the art of Dragonball, but in the meantime please enjoy this little comic I whipped up in MS paint just for you.

Goddrat it

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

You're bad for making it and I'm bad for getting it.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Xibanya posted:

It took me a second but goddamn that is clever.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Don't think I've seen a db one before

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Xibanya posted:

Not sure if you were responding to me, but I didn't call the whole thing unwatchable. (I literally said "only a preteen can look at [DBZ] with an unvarnished eye," ie, only a preteen can view it uncritically.) What has happened is that every time I go back to rewatch some DBZ (which usually happens at least once per year) is that I start and then end up skipping large portions of it (clicking ahead in the bar on youtube/vlc, jumping around looking for the next "good part") because I'm so fed up with reaction shots and boring poo poo where nothing happens. While acceptable, it's nice to have something where I can put it on and sit back and watch the whole thing passively.

I haven't seen Kai yet, I might check it out for Saiyan saga but I've heard Namek is still slow, so one might as well go to DBZA or the manga for that one.

I dunno, you also said the only enjoyable form is Abridged, which is pretty much saying it's unwatchable. Which of course is a valid opinion and a common one, but I I think this thread can be overly harsh to the anime at times. It's hard to imagine DB without it. (And yeah I agree animated fight scenes are cool.)

mycot fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Apr 17, 2015

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty

mycot posted:

I dunno, you also said the only enjoyable form is Abridged, which is pretty much saying it's unwatchable. Which of course is a valid opinion and a common one, but I I think this thread can be overly harsh to the anime at times. It's hard to imagine DB without it. (And yeah I agree animated fight scenes are cool.)

I did not say "the only enjoyable form [of DBZ] is Abridged,"

I posted:

[people saying they prefer watching DBZA to DBZ is] Not really [a circle jerk]. I wouldn't be able to sit through DBZ again these days outside of select favorite episodes. It might surprise you but a person's preferences for pacing and content change as they grow older. DBZ has a fun cast, great concepts, and a mostly solid story, but God the pacing, the recaps, the animation inconsistencies and errors...only a preteen can look at that with an unvarnished eye. I'm grateful to DBZA for giving me a way to recapture the fun I had watching it as a kid without forcing me to fast forward through loads of intolerable reaction shots to get to the goods. The only way I have fun consuming unaltered DBZ is by reading the manga.

In fact I'm not sure why you came in here to say that what I said I meant is really wrong and that I was really meaning to say the show is unwatchable when

I posted:

I didn't call the whole thing unwatchable. (I literally said "only a preteen can look at [DBZ] with an unvarnished eye," ie, only a preteen can view it uncritically.) What has happened is that every time I go back to rewatch some DBZ (which usually happens at least once per year) is that I start and then end up skipping large portions of it (clicking ahead in the bar on youtube/vlc, jumping around looking for the next "good part") because I'm so fed up with reaction shots and boring poo poo where nothing happens. While acceptable, it's nice to have something where I can put it on and sit back and watch the whole thing passively.

Now it's true that I personally have no desire to watch DBZ start to finish in order. But the term "unwatchable" is pretty loaded and when discussing how I can't watch DBZ without skipping forward over some parts I never claimed to speak for anyone other than myself. A lot of people do bitch about the DBZ anime unfairly but let's not jump at strawmen here. I'm troubled that you're looking for the negative when I actually harbor a great deal of affection for the franchise (I'm making a huge effort post just to praise it right now.)

The only reason why I popped back here anyway instead of finishing the post is because I need to retract the above comic to make a minor art correction - my definitive true vision is this one:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Stallion Cabana posted:

It took me a second but goddamn that is clever.

I'm dumb and don't get it.

• Locked thread