Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

CJacobs posted:

There are 2 fights with them in the entire game, although "the entire game" is not saying much because it's quite short.

Actually there are 2 fights with them in the entire cinematic experience, get it right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

CJacobs posted:

There are 2 fights with them in the entire game, although "the entire game" is not saying much because it's quite short.

I believe literally half the game was cut in order to get it out in time, because I seem to remember there were two or three times where there were 2-3 "Chapters" in a row that had literally zero gameplay or player input required (and can't be skipped, haha). It feels like they had intended to make a much bigger and longer game but were hamstrung by how much time they put into making the graphics engine (which is quite good, mind you).

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

According to the devs they were hamstrung by the necessity to put gameplay into their video game.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

What engine does the order run on?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

What engine does the order run on?

the steam engine

ha ha!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
there was no anime surprise on the last page

6/5 false advertising in my favor

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Adam Bowen posted:

According to the devs they were hamstrung by the necessity to put gameplay into their video game.
yeah

quote:

CVG: So of the three key aspects of a game - visuals, gameplay and story - which would you say was your priority with The Order 1886?

Game director (Dana Jan): I think story and visuals are very high. Gameplay is something that... it's a game, we make games, we can't get around it. We love games, but we also love telling stories, so I think story is always going to be at the top because it's what we start with. It's at the top of the pyramid and everything else supports that. I think it'd be more challenging to make a game for the gameplay's sake, then try to make a story that fits in there.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Like the hardest game ever is Xenoblade I couldn't get past the stage where you first get the monado. After 10 minutes I gave up and just watched an LP of it and that was just as good as playing the game. I felt so suckered that I promptly returned it to gamestop. The Order Devs get where people like me are coming from, we're not here to be frustrated by obscene mechanics and tired tropes like boss battles. We're here for the fresh and new to be fully immersed in a game, and the only way to get good immersion is to have a great story. When you die in a game or get stuck it breaks that sense of immersion and that is a big no no.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the only hard Square RPGs are in the SaGa series, Xenoblade was a cakewalk

taint reaped again smh

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I remember that ":sigh: I guess we have to put gameplay in our cinematic experience" quote. It was the quote that completely deflated any expectation I had of The Order based on the trailers.

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

video games.... :worship:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The Taint Reaper posted:

Like the hardest game ever is Xenoblade I couldn't get past the stage where you first get the monado. After 10 minutes I gave up and just watched an LP of it and that was just as good as playing the game. I felt so suckered that I promptly returned it to gamestop. The Order Devs get where people like me are coming from, we're not here to be frustrated by obscene mechanics and tired tropes like boss battles. We're here for the fresh and new to be fully immersed in a game, and the only way to get good immersion is to have a great story. When you die in a game or get stuck it breaks that sense of immersion and that is a big no no.

I don't know if you're actually joking and I just don't get it or not but I do agree that sometimes games are better off having solid gameplay and a good story instead of super awesome gameplay and a total garbage story. It's just that The Order happens to have solid gameplay but also still a garbage story so it failed on both counts.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
games with lots of cutscenes are good for smoking as you get lots of breaks to roll a joint/pack a bowl and also you are then amazed by the cutscenes

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

It's tough making a videogame as a failed movie director hellbent on inserting his panned movie script in every project.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

CJacobs posted:

I don't know if you're actually joking and I just don't get it or not but I do agree that sometimes games are better off having solid gameplay and a good story instead of super awesome gameplay and a total garbage story. It's just that The Order happens to have solid gameplay but also still a garbage story so it failed on both counts.

the story isn't amazing but it's competently told and engaging enough to be interesting. the game is basically like a good blockbuster movie. it's not the best thing ever at all but it's an enjoyable experience. i wouldn't have paid full price for it but I would've happily payed £30 for it and im glad I picked it as my other pack in game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Stux posted:

games with lots of cutscenes are good for smoking as you get lots of breaks to roll a joint/pack a bowl

that's what the pause button is for, smdh you can do better stux

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!

precision posted:

that's what the pause button is for, smdh you can do better stux

it's nice having something on while you work

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 26 hours!
im just saying the game doesn't deserve the hate it's got. it's not the best game ever or anything but it's good and fun. it's better than gear of war for example.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I wonder how many early movie directors in the late 19th-early 20th century said they are trying to make a literary experience and are forced to deal with lighting and actors.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-iL7WtoyS0

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

CJacobs posted:

I liked Wolfenstein TNO but the thing that dragged it down for me is that I never really had enough ammo for the big guns to do anything fun with them so I just used the standard assault rifle pretty much the entire time. The laser gun/sniper rifle and laserkraftwerk have pretty tiny battery life and you get maxed out on rockets way too quick for them to be useful in normal combat. Also the robot enemies kinda suck because there's no real way to tell if you're hurting them until they spontaneously explode because you killed them. I agree with the guy that said it was good but not great tbh.
I never had this problem. I actually never really used the cover mechanics at all and just opened up with stealth and if I got caught I'd go guns blazing, running around the map with dual weapons, and just avoided damage by crouching behind stuff like an old FPS.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

drat, check out the rare Taint Reaper and Stux double team action. You're watching your taint, feeling pretty safe, then you get stux'd out of nowhere. Pretty epic.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

precision posted:

the only hard Square RPGs are in the SaGa series

I'd never thought of it before but now I wonder if Square thinks Americans hate those games because they're hard and not because they rapidly degenerated into comically awful nonsense

Actually, do Japanese people even like those games either, or did/do they just coast on the inertia of the director being an old Square employee

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Stux posted:

games with lots of cutscenes are good for smoking as you get lots of breaks to roll a joint/pack a bowl and also you are then amazed by the cutscenes

sure, but then you summon the Magus Sisters and you find that you've smoked everything you have in the house by the time the third sisters arrives, even though you stopped to make lunch and dinner too.

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011

lmao

Vorik
Mar 27, 2014

Do those MGS games usually have summaries of past games or something to bring new players up to speed? I just saw a gameplay trailer for the new one and it looks good. thanks

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Not knowing what the gently caress is going on is a fundamental part of the MGS experience. Attempting to catch up or remember who anyone but Snake is will detract from that experience.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Vorik posted:

Do those MGS games usually have summaries of past games or something to bring new players up to speed? I just saw a gameplay trailer for the new one and it looks good. thanks

They only summarize games that are important to them. So Phantom Pain will probably talk about mgs3, Peacewalker, and Ground Zeroes.

Mgs1, 2, and 4 have no relevance to the newest one because the are in modern times/future.

That said, you can completely ignore peace walker and ground zeroes. But I'd recommend at least watching a let's play of mgs3. Since mgs3 is a game that needs to be experienced, if not played.

Our very own chip cheezum and ironicus have a rather good lp of mgs3.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Vorik posted:

they usually do, yes.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I'd never thought of it before but now I wonder if Square thinks Americans hate those games because they're hard and not because they rapidly degenerated into comically awful nonsense

Actually, do Japanese people even like those games either, or did/do they just coast on the inertia of the director being an old Square employee

theyre making another SaGa so i guess somebody liked them there

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Metal Gear Solid 3 is by far the best MGS game and is just the right amount of batshit insane so play that regardless.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

Ekster posted:

Metal Gear Solid 3 is by far the best MGS game and is just the right amount of batshit insane so play that regardless.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
MGS3 is such a drat good game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
if you haven't played MGS3 you're basically deprived of one of the PS2's greatest treasures

and it's the loving PS2 so it has a lot of treasures

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Remember the rule, odd numbered MGS games own. So MGS5 should be freaking epic lois

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
2's good though if only for how big a troll it was.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Even numbered MGS games also own but significantly less than odd numbered.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

The fmv sprites are interlaced too. its loving astonishing how crap this game is

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Adam Bowen posted:

Even numbered MGS games also own but significantly less than odd numbered.

What about the ones that don't have numbers, or are we just talking release order in which case that's wrong you philistine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

CJacobs posted:

What about the ones that don't have numbers, or are we just talking release order in which case that's wrong you philistine

Those all suck

• Locked thread