Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

:unsmith: Go Kat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
"Would you help me kill a man?"

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Jesus. Fanart in response to this chapter ain't pulling punches.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

This is a beautiful, moving piece of art. I didn't expect that when I clicked. Would click again.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

Und wenn du lange in einen Schuh blickst, blickt der Schuh auch in dich hinein.

Wittgen posted:

Daaaaaaaamn :smith: pro click

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
I think this page is sorta a breather compared to the others since a lot of us called this exact conversation happening.

Also for the umpteenth time, Annie was wearing that dress at the beginning of Red Returns, so while it's similar enough to be weird, it's not like she's wearing her old hospital stuff.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014

Wittgen posted:

Ahahaww Ysengrin.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Brightman posted:

Also for the umpteenth time, Annie was wearing that dress at the beginning of Red Returns, so while it's similar enough to be weird, it's not like she's wearing her old hospital stuff.
After she had been stewing for six weeks alone waiting for her father to come back for her, I'm not sure what your point is.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Release the Seraphim

"Fly my winged monkeys robots, FLY!"

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Rumda posted:

After she had been stewing for six weeks alone waiting for her father to come back for her, I'm not sure what your point is.

A lot of people have been acting like it's literally the dress from the hospital. Did you read what I said? I wasn't refuting that it was weird, just that it's not the same dress.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Brightman posted:

I think this page is sorta a breather compared to the others since a lot of us called this exact conversation happening.

If you don't think it's fully intentional to reference the hospital in both those, I have no idea whose comic you have been reading

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Fried Chicken posted:

If you don't think it's fully intentional to reference the hospital in both those, I have no idea whose comic you have been reading

It's literally in the first panel of narration on that page yeah

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Ditocoaf posted:

Kat, Kat's parents, Jones, Eglamore, Renardine and Ysengrin all have their flaws, but together they make a much better support structure for Annie than her father appears to be remotely capable of.

Yeah, I'm gonna say that a lovely a dad as Anthony is, he's still a better dad than the guy who tried to murder Annie twice.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Patrick Spens posted:

Yeah, I'm gonna say that a lovely a dad as Anthony is, he's still a better dad than the guy who tried to murder Annie twice.

Ya, Anthony is a much better dad. He's only tried to murder Annie once. (sarcasm)

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

Time to sleep.

Fried Chicken posted:

a medical mystery posted:

It's literally in the first panel of narration on that page yeah

What the hell. Okay, let me rephrase that slightly.

Brightman posted:

Also for the umpteenth time, Annie was wearing that dress at the beginning of Red Returns, so while it's similar enough to be weird, it's not like she's [literally] wearing her old hospital stuff.

I pointed out it was weird, I get it, but no one seemed to read that part of the post. I forgot to say "literally", sorry. Enough people were acting like it was the exact same outfit so I thought it warranted pointing out, because if it was the exact same outfit that'd be a little bit more hosed up, like 5% more hosed up, I dunno.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Brightman posted:

Enough people were acting like it was the exact same outfit
I think you're misreading.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I think it gets the point across even if it's not literally the dress from when she was tiny

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Patrick Spens posted:

Oh, I wouldn't claim that Ysengrin is a remotely fit subsitute-dad himself, I wasn't saying that. I was saying that in aggregate, with all the various people in her life contributing something (and helping protect her from each other), she found a support structure that's really great. Even Ysengrin was a positive influence at select times (like when she was recovering from the trauma of discovering the nature of her mother's death).

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 15, 2015

Itzena
Aug 2, 2006

Nothing will improve the way things currently are.
Slime TrainerS
Well, Kat's take on the homework situation seems to be going better than Reynard's did a while back - now we just need the other shoe to drop on Friday to get this chapter back on track. Destination: MISERY

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Patrick Spens posted:

Not really, though; and that's the most hosed-up thing about Annie's life

Like, who are Annie's father figures:
  • A bodysnatcher who tried to kill her once and is still obsessed with her mother, but who offers her protection and emotional support
  • A brain-damaged warhawk who tried to kill her twice, but who is clearly invested in cultivating her physical and spiritual strength
  • Her actual drat father, whose first action after years of absence is to undercut any good the first two might have done for her

It's a three-way race to the bottom and it's a wonder Annie isn't even more of a mess than she is

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Ysengrin only was dangerous to Annie because Coyote hosed with his brain.

Not that he isn't still dangerous, but it's a worthwhile distinction, I think. In a better situation he could be a legit good mentor/father figure.

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

Ysengrin is pretty hosed up, but when he's in his own right state of mind, he cares quite a bit for Annie. He's still sort of a father figure, just one with a severe mental disability. It's not a lot different from my friend's mom, who loves her kids when she's herself and says horrible, hateful things when her meds aren't working. And Ysengrin and Renard's first murder attempts were before they got to know her, so they don't really speak for how they've come to feel about and treat her.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

You're always making excuses for him!

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Ysengrin's pretty drat lovely, he wouldn't shy from killing someone he doesn't respect. He's only good to Annie because she's earned his respect, but he literally tried to kill her before it got to that point.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

IronicDongz posted:

Ysengrin only was dangerous to Annie because Coyote hosed with his brain.

Not that he isn't still dangerous, but it's a worthwhile distinction, I think. In a better situation he could be a legit good mentor/father figure.

He was fully in control of his faculties the first time he tried to kill her, and I honestly don't know how much of his reaction the second time was Coyote's mindfuckery and how much was his (by all accounts legitimate and long term) hatred of humans. I mean, I agree that Ysengrin is more likable than Anthony, because literally everyone is, but he (and any group of parental figures that includes him) is a really bad dad.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The first time might well count against him as a bad person, but not really as a bad dad? He was attacking someone who'd just insulted and attacked his boss, a member of an organization he considered to be an enemy. He wasn't in any way mistreating someone for whom he was responsible or a father figure to.

Attacking her later on though, that definitely is, but he... didn't really seem in control of himself, considering afterwards (for a short time) he didn't understand what he'd done or why and seemed confused and ashamed. So I'm not sure how much it directly reflects on him.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

neogeo0823 posted:

Her whole world literally broke. It was split apart and smashed to bits by her dad, and she thinks he did no wrong. That is some serious brainwashing/denial/mental conditioning there. Like, drat.
For all the ill he may have done, he pulled HER mask away.

Turns out Annie copying Kat's work all these years didn't weigh lightly on her. Even with trips to the Forest, bursting into flame and flowers in her hair, Antimony keeps a lot bottled up. She's more open with Kat than anyone else, but there was still guilt and shame she kept hidden from her closest friend.

Donny Dons told her that for his friend the smallest things carried the heaviest weight. Is it too far to believe it's the same way with Annie?

I think after the catharsis of dealing with Kat's forgiveness, acceptance and unconditional friendship that Annie will be receptive to the idea Papa might not always know best (eventually). There might even be an intervention of sorts from her other friends. If nothing else, I think Donny would try to convince Andrew of another course to take since he values Annie's friendship with his daughter.

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
Next scene: Bird-Alistair cooked up on Anthony's dinner table like a turkey.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This page is proof that Annie hasn't learned any lessons from the previous two times she's thought herself on the wrong side of Kat. I'm impressed she managed to get her hair cut, being denser than Jones and all.

Plus on Kat for setting her straight again.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

Patrick Spens posted:

He was fully in control of his faculties the first time he tried to kill her, and I honestly don't know how much of his reaction the second time was Coyote's mindfuckery and how much was his (by all accounts legitimate and long term) hatred of humans. I mean, I agree that Ysengrin is more likable than Anthony, because literally everyone is, but he (and any group of parental figures that includes him) is a really bad dad.

Coyote has been messing around in Ysengrin's brain for a long time. It's hard to say that anything Ysengrin does is not Coyote's fault.

Dammerung
Oct 17, 2008

"Dang, that's hot."

Rand Brittain posted:

Coyote has been messing around in Ysengrin's brain for a long time. It's hard to say that anything Ysengrin does is not Coyote's fault.

Are you saying that Ysengrin's love for, and desire to impress, a being that seemingly does not care for him and manipulates his emotions is leading him to make choices that have devastating consequences for those he interacts with?

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Dammerung posted:

Are you saying that Ysengrin's love for, and desire to impress, a being that seemingly does not care for him and manipulates his emotions is leading him to make choices that have devastating consequences for those he interacts with?

Love makes people act in strange ways.

As does erasing their memories of the strange things they've done in the past and the results thereof.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
This comic should be renamed "Little Annie and the Bad Dads." I really hope some actual good comes of this, like a reconciliation or something warm and fuzzy.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm glad Annie is accepting this with some grace. It's not easy to admit that you've been messing up for years and it's nice to see her respond with maturity.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Hypocrisy posted:

I'm glad Annie is accepting this with some grace. It's not easy to admit that you've been messing up for years and it's nice to see her respond with maturity.

This only applies to the grades situation, and it's an incredibly drastic measure (and a dick move) that does damage to her social growth and friendships. Any responsible adult would probably have her stay in the same grade and make up the coursework through after-school tutoring until she's caught up.

Everything else done by Anthony has been spiteful. Moving her away from her social connections, cutting her off from her employment and tutelage on her powers, flat-out stealing her father figure away from her and altering her appearance have all been abusive, unnecessary behaviors.

He's an abusive parent, hands down. She shouldn't be accepting this with grace, she should be looking for a solution, but due to her underlying father issues it's probably going to be up to her friends to help her see that.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I wonder if the Donlans or someone have legal grounds to claim Annie as a ward since Anthony essentially abandoned her for four years, that'd be a good step towards blocking his influence.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

mr. stefan posted:

I wonder if the Donlans or someone have legal grounds to claim Annie as a ward since Anthony essentially abandoned her for four years, that'd be a good step towards blocking his influence.

The trouble with this is that in order to move forward they'll have to be willing to completely abandon their friendship with Anthony, which is probably going to make it hard for them to see that it needs to be done.

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

I kinda feel like this last page is setting it up for Annie and Kat to reconcile too easily so I wonder what the conflict is going to be from here on out? Annie and Kat working behind the scenes to undo Anthony's influence?

fiver posted:

is it weird that i find annie super attractive now without makeup and shorter hair? I don't even like hentai dawg
15 Apr 2015 | 12:03 AM
:stonk:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

himajinga posted:

I kinda feel like this last page is setting it up for Annie and Kat to reconcile too easily so I wonder what the conflict is going to be from here on out? Annie and Kat working behind the scenes to undo Anthony's influence?

Kat tells Annie to just run to the forest and not come back to the court, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

himajinga
Mar 19, 2003

mr. stefan posted:

Kat tells Annie to just run to the forest and not come back to the court, maybe?

Oh that would be something, maybe after they have the convo about Rey and bring their concerns to the court higher ups who sides unequivocally with Tony?