Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

maev posted:

Bought the SU100M1 and did 3k damage in it straight away. Yes I was top tier and managed to snipe churchills from the side in camo but I'm sure this will continue and 175 pen will not be a problem at all in the games to come.

Eh, just shoot gold if you need to pen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

Eh, just shoot gold if you need to pen.

Anytime spent not shooting gold is better spent shooting gold :colbert:

Guy Innagorillasuit
Jul 24, 2009

BadLlama posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to not make the AT-2 experience awful? I have only had one game where I was top dog and it was legitimately fun pew pewing everything but all my other games I just get two shot by KV-85's and 150's since apparently auto aiming goes right for your weakspot.

I went up that line just for the AT-2. The top gun is a little anemic when it's the low tier in a match, but it doesn't seem that bad to me.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The SU-122-54 is probably one of the coolest looking tanks in the game in my opinion and is the sole reason I started slowly playing the Russian TD's again.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

BadLlama posted:

The SU-122-54 is probably one of the coolest looking tanks in the game in my opinion and is the sole reason I started slowly playing the Russian TD's again.

Dat log.

Seriously though, that tank can be quite scary. Gun can lay down the pain if left alone.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
The 100m1 is okay, could use more depression but it's basically an upgunned medium without a turret and surprisingly decent armour. Not a keeper but not bad.

The SU-101 is a shittier Object 416 with higher DPM. The 416 has better camo, a pretend turret, and a much lower profile. The gun traverse on the 416 makes up for the terrible depression; the SU-101 has some of the worst gun depression and horizontal traverse in the game, and the issues compound each other. The 101 is theoretically pretty good but it's intensely frustrating to play and very high maintenance.

The 122-54 plays something like the t9 foch with less armour, more camo, more damage, and slightly higher DPM. It's good and not really noticeably deficient in any way, but there are better t9 TDs. If I'm not wrong it's my second highest DPG t9 TD behind the pre-nerf WT PzIV.

The above three were all buffed after I played them but I don't think it did much for what made them good or bad.

The 263 is the best TD in the game, at least to play. To play against the E3 or 183 might be more annoying because a pubbie doesn't have to know how to play at all to make those hard to deal with, but I think you get what I mean. Great front armour - not quite on the level of the E3 but harder to reliably pen at a range than the JPE -, good mobility, accurate gun with high DPM, APCR instead of HEAT (:pcgaming:), and good camo. In exchange it's particularly weak to flanking and artillery, doesn't have a particularly wide horizontal traverse, and has lower alpha than its peers.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Mesadoram posted:

Dat log.

Seriously though, that tank can be quite scary. Gun can lay down the pain if left alone.
Also it won't keel over and die if a medium jumps you in it, since it can actually turn fast enough to keep up with circling attempts, and the bulky gun mantlet anad sloped plate will deflect a good number of shots.

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
In a similar vein, how is the A-43 to Obj. 430 line? I've been wanting to feed my Soviet medium addiction with it but I'm apprehensive about the rear-mounted turrets and awful gun depression. Also I've heard that the 430 is trash compared to the other tier 10 mediums, is this true?

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Nordick posted:

Also it won't keel over and die if a medium jumps you in it, since it can actually turn fast enough to keep up with circling attempts, and the bulky gun mantlet anad sloped plate will deflect a good number of shots.

Stop tempting me to get it. I already am going down too many trees :smith:

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

In a similar vein, how is the A-43 to Obj. 430 line? I've been wanting to feed my Soviet medium addiction with it but I'm apprehensive about the rear-mounted turrets and awful gun depression. Also I've heard that the 430 is trash compared to the other tier 10 mediums, is this true?

I am on the A-43 right now. It is a tier 6 "medium" with only tier 5 guns so flanking is pretty much mandatory. It is fast and can keep up with a lot of the scout tanks. All the things I had read people say to use the top 76mm gun but I find the 56mm gun hilarious because of needle death killing tanks is great. The APCR on that gun also brings your pen to something like 180mm which is quite nice for any tier 6.

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

No idea about the tier 10, but in my opinion:
- A-43 : a lovely little tank. Alpha is lower than the T34-85, but the gun handling and mobility are great, so it kind of plays like a soviet easy 8 with less gun depression. Works just fine, really. Some people go with the 57mm instead of the 76mm and also report good results so find what you prefer.
- A-44 : the turd in the line. Engine and ammo rack get damaged constantly, it's always on fire, mobility is garbage, armor is awesome on paper but garbage in practice, but what really kill it is the horrible gun handling. Sure, it's 300 alpha with nice pen, but the aim time, turret bloom, track bloom and lack of gun depression makes you feel like you're fighting your own tank rather than the enemy. Use free XP liberally.
- Obj416 : another great tank, if you can deal with something that is halfway through a medium and a TD. On one hand you get really bad armor and hitpoints, but on the other hand, mobility and firepower are top notch (top gun is basically the T54's best gun, at tier 8), and if you rely on you medium tank soaking hits you're gonna have a hard time anyway (unless you drive a E50, but I disgress). A great tank, I'm thinking of putting my next waifu crew in it because where else could I use them girls?
- Obj430vII : I enjoyed this tank too. Plays kind of like a T54, except with a rear turret and limited traverse, but slightly better DPM (by some ridiculously tiny amount). For some reason my winrate is higher in it than in the T54, and I find it slightly more "fun" to play, even if it's not as reliable as the T54. A good, solid tonk.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

WitchFetish posted:

A great tank, I'm thinking of putting my next waifu crew in it because where else could I use them girls?

I put my first woman crew into my brand new 430 II for much the same reasons; also because I was short a Soviet medium crew, having kept team T-54 together after unlocking both the 62A and the 140.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Just saw my first Obj. 260 in the wild.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

The T-44 with the 122mm cannon looks pretty sweet too bad its a poo poo spec.

srb
Jul 24, 2007
It's workable if you shoot only HE, because that's the only way you will deal damage.

(Okay, not really, but point and click is better than trying to position yourself and waiting for the exruciating aim time just for your massive 217 pen APCR shell to completely miss the side turret of the E100 you were aiming at.)

WayAbvPar
Mar 11, 2009

Ah- Smug Mode.

McGavin posted:

Just saw my first Obj. 260 in the wild.

Was it redolent with the noisome fumes of a long-neglected litter box?

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

WayAbvPar posted:

Was it redolent with the noisome fumes of a long-neglected litter box?

The guy was in BULBA, so probably.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009
Speaking of Tier X TDs, how is the E4 these days?

I'm getting close to unlocking it, and have the credits saved up to buy one. I'm quite enjoying the T30, but it looks to me like the E4 loses the decent turret armour, and amazing depression in exchange for a little bit of hull armour, and slightly increase DPM/accuracy.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

PotatoManJack posted:

Speaking of Tier X TDs, how is the E4 these days?

I'm getting close to unlocking it, and have the credits saved up to buy one. I'm quite enjoying the T30, but it looks to me like the E4 loses the decent turret armour, and amazing depression in exchange for a little bit of hull armour, and slightly increase DPM/accuracy.

The E4 is a bad E100 that gets really high speed APCR, meaning you can just constantly snapshot full bloom shots at 500 meters and hit 90% of your shots because they buffed accuracy so much. poo poo armor, half turret so lights can solo you, terrible gun handling (aside from the silly snapshots) and poor HP since it's a TD instead of a heavy. It really is just a bad E100.

Also the ammo rack is near the front track wheels and the cupola is a weakspot, unlike on the E3.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

Hellsau posted:

The E4 is a bad E100 that gets really high speed APCR, meaning you can just constantly snapshot full bloom shots at 500 meters and hit 90% of your shots because they buffed accuracy so much. poo poo armor, half turret so lights can solo you, terrible gun handling (aside from the silly snapshots) and poor HP since it's a TD instead of a heavy. It really is just a bad E100.

Also the ammo rack is near the front track wheels and the cupola is a weakspot, unlike on the E3.

So basically, I should avoid buying one. That's a shame, I was really hoping for my second Tier X tank

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PotatoManJack posted:

So basically, I should avoid buying one. That's a shame, I was really hoping for my second Tier X tank

I have a crew in it, so it isn't complete trash. It's just a bad E100 that doesn't have to deal with HEAT being garbage. If the cupola wasn't a weakspot, AND had either hull armor or not paper thin turret cheeks, AND it didn't have frontal rack issues, AND didn't have TD hp, OR had great gun handling, it'd be fine.

buff the E4 back to how it allegedly used to be Wargaming. Same with the M48.

Rorac
Aug 19, 2011

Desuwa posted:

The 263 is the best TD in the game, at least to play. To play against the E3 or 183 might be more annoying because a pubbie doesn't have to know how to play at all to make those hard to deal with, but I think you get what I mean. Great front armour - not quite on the level of the E3 but harder to reliably pen at a range than the JPE -, good mobility, accurate gun with high DPM, APCR instead of HEAT (:pcgaming:), and good camo. In exchange it's particularly weak to flanking and artillery, doesn't have a particularly wide horizontal traverse, and has lower alpha than its peers.

Wouldn't it actually deal with flanking pretty well? It's comparatively lightweight for it's armor and seems like it turns pretty quickly, you're not quite so instafucked if a medium pops up nearby you like you would be in the E3 or JPE.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

PotatoManJack posted:

For what it is worth I enjoy my E4, mostly for the combination of 750 alpha, turret and not horrible armour.
When people say it is a worse E-100 they are of course comparing it to a HEAT-slinging E-100, not to AP slinging one.
I got the E4 mostly to have all US tier10 tanks, but in hindsight I should have kept the T30 since that tank was just so fun.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Rorac posted:

Wouldn't it actually deal with flanking pretty well? It's comparatively lightweight for it's armor and seems like it turns pretty quickly, you're not quite so instafucked if a medium pops up nearby you like you would be in the E3 or JPE.

Its side armour is paper and its profile is quite large. It's a bit like the Foch in that regard, they don't need to get a particularly good angle on your side they just need to get away from your front. The sides are a bit better than the Foch because the Foch gets overmatched by every heavy tank, but not a whole lot better.

Cardiac posted:

For what it is worth I enjoy my E4, mostly for the combination of 750 alpha, turret and not horrible armour.
When people say it is a worse E-100 they are of course comparing it to a HEAT-slinging E-100, not to AP slinging one.
I got the E4 mostly to have all US tier10 tanks, but in hindsight I should have kept the T30 since that tank was just so fun.

lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Desuwa posted:

Its side armour is paper and its profile is quite large. It's a bit like the Foch in that regard, they don't need to get a particularly good angle on your side they just need to get away from your front. The sides are a bit better than the Foch because the Foch gets overmatched by every heavy tank, but not a whole lot better.

lol

To be fair it does have a good mantlet. We're not talking Centurion turret armor here - if they actually hit the mantlet they usually fail to pen unless they hit down the goddamn gun barrel seriously how the hell do people do that I never can get my shell to actually not just hit their gun doing that.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Jack_tripper posted:

you only get the bonus if you sabotage your team's chance to win then drive off a cliff

So that means pubbies will be getting the bonus every round?

maev posted:

Is the Obj 263 line as poo poo as it looks? No depression or alpha, seems like some kind of bad medium line?

The 7 was forgettable. The SU-101 was amazing because it's a tier 8 T-54, sacrificing the turret and depression for better MM (squishier targets.) Part of it is that I just clicked with it, but it's a genuinely speedy tank with a great gun. You can pen tier 10s with HEAT or shred tier 6s, and everything in-between. Positioning is vital due to the traverse and especially the depression, but if you know what you're doing you'll make it work.

I'm on the SU-122-54 now, and it's pretty similar. Bigger gun, maybe a bit slower, but it has more depression so is significantly less frustrating to drive.

BadLlama posted:

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to not make the AT-2 experience awful? I have only had one game where I was top dog and it was legitimately fun pew pewing everything but all my other games I just get two shot by KV-85's and 150's since apparently auto aiming goes right for your weakspot.

It has genuinely useful armor for its tier, despite the weakspots. Wiggle and/or shoot from a longer distance, where your 57 will be able to hit & pen them but they'll be less effective in hitting your weakspots (especially since the dispersion change.)

A-43 is spectacular, skip the A-44, 416 is great, and that's where I'm at on the line.

Mesadoram posted:

Stop tempting me to get it. I already am going down too many trees :smith:

I'd bet money that I'm grinding more lines than you. I have something like 20 tier 8s, plus more tanks at 6, 7 and 9 (and again, these are the tanks I'm grinding, not my premium or other elite tanks!) Probably about 30 lines being simultaneously played. (Well, not every line every day, but you know what I mean. If I was focused I wouldn't be in this mess!)

Cardiac posted:

I don't have an E4 yet, but back in the day (a couple years ago, before the various changes) people who had it described it as something like an E5 substitute. I guess that was somewhat due to the limited armor and partial turret, and maybe mobility. The gun is better, but in general the E4 is more like an average heavy than a slow, thickly-armored TD. This was back before tank locking was a thing, but conversely I don't do CW now so couldn't tell you anything about the meta or where the E4 falls after better options have been locked.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

I guess I should post this replay:

I just casually dispense with 4 full hp tanks because they were too loving cowardly to bother to shoot at me. I suspect my obvious lie was what dragged the dumb T29 out into somewhere I could pen it.

I really wish pubbies would loving listen to me when I tell them not to try to cap.

Oh right T-34-1. It is an exceptionally difficult tank to play, even moreso than the Comet, and not even close to as rewarding as the Comet. Having a decent turret is nice, but having no gun depression and an alarmingly dangerous hull module layout is just intensely punishing. Having effectively zero hull armor even against tier 5s, with very large fuel tank and ammo rack hitboxes and very low module HP leads to some extremely short games. Plus it's an artillery magnet since it's so thin and needs very specific positioning to put damage out against tanks without being eaten in return. Still more fun than the WZ-132. On the plus side, the 132 will be elited and sold soon enough, and then I can finish the T-34-1, put the crews into the WZ-111 and WZ-120, and....then never actually bother grinding the tier tens since I hate tier nine and ten games.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Apr 17, 2015

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Oh right T-34-1. It is an exceptionally difficult tank to play, even moreso than the Comet, and not even close to as rewarding as the Comet. Having a decent turret is nice, but having no gun depression and an alarmingly dangerous hull module layout is just intensely punishing. Having effectively zero hull armor even against tier 5s, with very large fuel tank and ammo rack hitboxes and very low module HP leads to some extremely short games. Plus it's an artillery magnet since it's so thin and needs very specific positioning to put damage out against tanks without being eaten in return. Still more fun than the WZ-132. On the plus side, the 132 will be elited and sold soon enough, and then I can finish the T-34-1, put the crews into the WZ-111 and WZ-120, and....then never actually bother grinding the tier tens since I hate tier nine and ten games.

Yeah, that's exactly how I felt about the T-34-1. The turret isn't even that strong, and I was never able to find spots that allowed me to shoot and stay hull-down; the limited depression usually meant I had to move into a position that exposed the paper hull. The gun isn't that special, although its handling isn't quite as bad as that of the A-44. I barely remember playing the T-34-1, but I vividly remember free-XPing the last half of the A-44! :D

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Hellsau posted:

To be fair it does have a good mantlet. We're not talking Centurion turret armor here - if they actually hit the mantlet they usually fail to pen unless they hit down the goddamn gun barrel seriously how the hell do people do that I never can get my shell to actually not just hit their gun doing that.

The very last shell I fired in my B1 was an AP shell down the barrel of a Hetzer, killing him and winning the match. We were the only two left in a t5 game and that was back before I carried any premium ammo.

Helped that we were all of ten metres apart, at most, and he was aiming up at my turret.

Grakkus
Sep 4, 2011

The t54 lightweight is a Good Tank. Definitely my new favourite light tank, surpassing even the t37. Not many scouts you can do nearly 5000 damage in!

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Grakkus posted:

The t54 lightweight is a Good Tank. Definitely my new favourite light tank, surpassing even the t37. Not many scouts you can do nearly 5000 damage in!

I keep hearing good things about it. Looks like a solid little thing.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
How is the E-50, and how does it compare to the E-50m?

Additional question: Did anyone get this LT-15 mission done on a map that wasn't Prokhorovka?

maev fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 17, 2015

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I quite liked the T-34-1 very much. It's gun hits like a truck compared to the other tier 7 mediums and its such a tiny tank with great camo values you can generally drive in places you usually shouldn't and remain unspotted to get some shots off since your gun depression makes a lot of locations useless.

maev
Dec 6, 2010
Economically illiterate Tory Boy Bollocks brain.
Keep away from children
The T-34-1 is the only good feeling medium in probably the shittest tier for mediums.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
I liked the T20

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Azhais posted:

I liked the T20

The T20 is a good tank with a gun that surprises many people wit how much HP you just took off of their tank. Maybe I like bad tanks but I've enjoyed all the tier 7 mediums that I have played.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I've only played the KV-13 and T-43 for tier VII mediums, but I thought both were excellent tanks.

Foxtrot_13
Oct 31, 2013
Ask me about my love of genocide denial!

maev posted:

The T-34-1 is the only good feeling medium in probably the shittest tier for mediums.

The problem isn't with the mediums, the Comet, T20 and others are decent tanks. The prblem is that the heavys get a missive jump at tier 7 with the likes of the Tiger, T29 and Black Prince.

The biggest dog of a medium at tier 7 is the T-43 as it's just a T34-85 that sees tiers 9's

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Foxtrot_13 posted:

The problem isn't with the mediums, the Comet, T20 and others are decent tanks. The prblem is that the heavys get a missive jump at tier 7 with the likes of the Tiger, T29 and Black Prince.

The biggest dog of a medium at tier 7 is the T-43 as it's just a T34-85 that sees tiers 9's

The black prince is one of the worst tanks in the game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

DonkeyHotay posted:

The black prince is one of the worst tanks in the game

This is a wrong thing, BP owns.