Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
The only problem with the droid turbo is that there's no battery % number that I can find, just the stupid inaccurate battery picture. Also it's vastly too small :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

mastershakeman posted:

The only problem with the droid turbo is that there's no battery % number that I can find, just the stupid inaccurate battery picture. Also it's vastly too small :(

Uh... double finger pull down of notification shade?

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

mastershakeman posted:

Why are you worrying about the battery percentage on your Droid Turbo?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Early trip report for 5.1 on my Nexus 4: It got some sort of horrendous wakelock just before 2 AM and drained to ~70% while on the wall charger. It seemed to go away around 9 or 10. Otherwise nothing really interesting, except that SwipePad seems noticeably more responsive.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

AlexF posted:

Personally, I love the "phablet experience". I'm on the extreme side with the Nexus 6, but I wouldn't go back to anything below 5.5 inches unless someone paid me to. Like you, most of my usage falls in the "non talking" category and for that, a bigger phone is just plain awesome. And even if I have to make a longer call, I don't feel weird holding that big thing right next to my face. I'd say go for it.

Alright cool thanks. Just about any phone is bigger then the 2013 Moto X so now I just have to decide which of the two to get

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

mastershakeman posted:

There's a % on the clock/weather widget that came stock on mine?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

NonzeroCircle posted:

Just upgraded to an Xperia Z3 Compact a couple of days ago, at the moment it's on 4.4- is upgrading to Lollipop gonna irrevocably gently caress it up like the upgrade to 4.2 did on my previous Xperia T?
If it makes a difference I'm using Nova launcher instead of the Sony one.

I manually updated mine a few weeks back, wiping all partitions instead of doing an over-the-top upgrade, so now I've got an unlocked handset instead of Vodafone UK locked.

Lollipop is quite close to Kit Kat performance-wise. I'm using Nova Launcher here too and have no problems. Battery seems same or marginally shorter during use, but it idle it's unchanged and I'm still getting 5 hours screen time taking me to just under 40%.

Anything in particular you want to know about Lollipop on it?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The latest Facebook app features the ability to turn off notifications. This and hibernating with greenify seems to be jacking up my battery life hardcore.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Cultural Imperial posted:

The latest Facebook app features the ability to turn off notifications. This and hibernating with greenify seems to be jacking up my battery life hardcore.

You could always turn off the notifications. At least since the great big 2011 redesign of the facebook app.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

You could always turn off the notifications. At least since the great big 2011 redesign of the facebook app.

For whatever reason since what seems like 2011, despite the app enabling notifications, I never got them. Ever. I'm thinking this may have been something I touched way back when on the site but I have no idea except I never get anything but message notifications.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

mastershakeman posted:

This is how the pros check their phone battery life (green circle)

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

Uh... double finger pull down of notification shade?

What now? I'm not familiar with that nor can I get it to work. Also, I want to see it at a glance like my last 3 phones allowed

quote:

Why are you worrying about the battery percentage on your Droid Turbo?
Because I drain the battery every day at work and want to know if it'll survive the trip home, where I'd rather use it?

Trisk
Feb 12, 2005

mastershakeman posted:

Because I drain the battery every day at work and want to know if it'll survive the trip home, where I'd rather use it?

You drain your entire Droid Turbo battery in one work day?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

mastershakeman posted:

What now? I'm not familiar with that nor can I get it to work. Also, I want to see it at a glance like my last 3 phones allowed

Huh? You don't know how to access quick settings? The thing that's standard on all android phones?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Trisk posted:

You drain your entire Droid Turbo battery in one work day?

Do goons not understand subjective uses? drat, it's like a witch hunt in here sometimes.

YOU DO WHAT WITH YOUR PHONE??

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Lblitzer posted:

Do goons not understand subjective uses? drat, it's like a witch hunt in here sometimes.

YOU DO WHAT WITH YOUR PHONE??

The surprise is that it's drat near impossible to do. Like, against the laws of physics impossible.

I mean, when you can have 10+ hours of screen on time per charge, it's really really hard to imagine any use case that drains it from the beginning to end of work.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

bull3964 posted:

Huh? You don't know how to access quick settings? The thing that's standard on all android phones?

I didn't know double finger did that. And yeah in my day there's an hour on the train each way plus like 5 hours screen on at work plus whatever else at home. So on some days, sure I could hit ten hours screen time just at work.

Heck I'm at 50% right now and charged to 100 before heading out this morning, and my use pattern today was way less than normal.

mastershakeman fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Apr 16, 2015

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

mastershakeman posted:

5 hours screen on at work

Have you tried doing your job instead?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Whizbang posted:

Have you tried doing your job instead?

Nah

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

bull3964 posted:

The surprise is that it's drat near impossible to do. Like, against the laws of physics impossible.

I mean, when you can have 10+ hours of screen on time per charge, it's really really hard to imagine any use case that drains it from the beginning to end of work.

Do people really get 10+ (or even 8-10) hours of SoT with the Turbo? I thought the battery was on par with a Note 4 which would usually max out around 6 hours of SoT for me. 10+ seems absurd unless it was just sitting there on a black screen.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

comper posted:

Do people really get 10+ (or even 8-10) hours of SoT with the Turbo? I thought the battery was on par with a Note 4 which would usually max out around 6 hours of SoT for me. 10+ seems absurd unless it was just sitting there on a black screen.

I've pulled ~5 with my 2014 Moto G before. 8-10 doesen't too farfetched tbh, as long as a number of conditions lined up (were they hammering cell radios? In an area with great reception? etc).

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

comper posted:

I'm at 7h46minutes off charge, at 50%, and screen time is 40%. Works out to about 3 hours of the screen being on, so about 6 hours in the day. It's a 3900 vs 3220 battery and a much smaller screen than the note 4, so I'd be shocked if I can't get at least an hour more out of it.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

mastershakeman posted:

I'm at 7h46minutes off charge, at 50%, and screen time is 40%. Works out to about 3 hours of the screen being on, so about 6 hours in the day. It's a 3900 vs 3220 battery and a much smaller screen than the note 4, so I'd be shocked if I can't get at least an hour more out of it.

The percentage doesn't work like that, if you tap on "Screen" it will give you the actual amount of time. Anyway, I would figure with a decent usage pattern you could definitely get 6-7 hours SoT but 10+ just seemed like a lot. I'm not saying it can't/doesn't happen, that number just surprised me based off of other workhorses like the Note 4 or Z3C which I've seen get about 7-7:30 hours under good conditions and less intensive processes being used throughout that time.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

comper posted:

The percentage doesn't work like that, if you tap on "Screen" it will give you the actual amount of time. Anyway, I would figure with a decent usage pattern you could definitely get 6-7 hours SoT but 10+ just seemed like a lot. I'm not saying it can't/doesn't happen, that number just surprised me based off of other workhorses like the Note 4 or Z3C which I've seen get about 7-7:30 hours under good conditions and less intensive processes being used throughout that time.

Way worse then. 2h15m screen time at below 50% battery. No gaming besides ten minutes of candy crush, about ten minutes with no signal. Sad that it's only a 2 week old phone with best in class battery and its still not meeting my usage.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

mastershakeman posted:

Way worse then. 2h15m screen time at below 50% battery. No gaming besides ten minutes of candy crush, about ten minutes with no signal. Sad that it's only a 2 week old phone with best in class battery and its still not meeting my usage.

You on wifi at work? If you aren't using it for calls/messaging at work I'd turn on Airplane mode while there but then turn on wifi if it's available. If you're anything like me the main distraction caused by my phone at work would be texts so that might not work out for you. Either way, only getting 4.5 hours doesn't seem right for that phone but you might just have the worst possible conditions for it at your job unfortunately.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS

bull3964 posted:

Lmao in what universe is the turbo getting 10 hours of SoT

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

comper posted:

You on wifi at work? If you aren't using it for calls/messaging at work I'd turn on Airplane mode while there but then turn on wifi if it's available. If you're anything like me the main distraction caused by my phone at work would be texts so that might not work out for you. Either way, only getting 4.5 hours doesn't seem right for that phone but you might just have the worst possible conditions for it at your job unfortunately.

No WiFi, minimal access to charging. I'm in a building that gets mediocre to good signal in downtown Chicago so I guess it is worse case.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

mastershakeman posted:

You might have a defective battery masked by its sheer size, or more likely there might be an app or setting that's causing some sort of long-term drain. Uninstall the Facebook app? Make sure the location service is set to battery saving? etc.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I got to throw an S5 Active at a wall today, welp that's my Android story for the day, goodbye thread.

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

CLAM DOWN posted:

I got to throw an S5 Active at a wall today, welp that's my Android story for the day, goodbye thread.
How would you rate your sense of satisfaction?

Scale optional.

CraigSlice
Sep 23, 2005
: )
I'm probably going to grab a moto x today since its the last day the coupon works, but have two quick questions.
Is it worth the extra 50 to go from 32gb to 64gb?
And what is a good small case for it, also just thinking of going caseless.

Upgrading from a nexus 4

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

CraigSlice posted:

I'm probably going to grab a moto x today since its the last day the coupon works, but have two quick questions.

Upgrading from a nexus 4

IMO I wouldn't spend the extra $50 for 64gb but I'm the kind of person who is alright with 32gb and all my stuff living in the cloud/using Spotify etc.

I guess what I'm saying is that it depends on your use case. Also if you use a lot of apps it might be good. Apps are getting bigger and stuff.

Also I guess if money isn't an issue yeah go for it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Lollipop seems to be behaving itself, not overly keen on the loss of "close all" and the uber colourful UI but then I've only had this phone for a couple of days so not like I was too familiar with Kit Kat anyways. Not suffering any battery issues that I can tell either which is good.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

CraigSlice posted:

Depends what you'll be storing on the phone. I have a 32gb and I don't really worry about the storage but I don't keep anything other than pictures on the device (and even then I back everything up to google photos)

edit:

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="444146031"]
I'd go caseless. The Moto X is durable as hell. My 2013 X has been dropped so many times, but the screen's survived every fall. Only the edges have gotten scuffed up.

And 32 gigs is fine, IMO.

Don't go caseless. Just put a diztronic on it and forget about it.

nimper fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Apr 16, 2015

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

CraigSlice posted:

Upgrading from a nexus 4

I'd go caseless. The Moto X is durable as hell. My 2013 X has been dropped so many times, but the screen's survived every fall. Only the edges have gotten scuffed up.

And 32 gigs is fine, IMO.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Zom Aur posted:

How would you rate your sense of satisfaction?

Scale optional.

Zero, the drat thing didn't have a mark on it and worked perfectly. We dunked in a pitcher of water too. Pretty cool.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

ThermoPhysical posted:

http://9to5google.com/2015/04/10/nexus-5-nexus-7-bricked-android-lollipop/

Looks like there's a huge thread on Google's product page about Lollipop bricking Nexus 7 2013 Wi-Fi and Nexus.

https://productforums.google.com/forum/m/#!topic/nexus/aHPjOTqCpXY

Since Google and Asus haven't really said why this is happening (Google refuses to acknowledge it entirely), someone has theorized that the NAND is basically being constantly used by the malfunctioning OS that it pretty much kills the device.

http://www.reddit.com/r/Nexus7/comments/32d3f9/2013_user_reports_suggesting_lollipop_502_could/

It seems that the OS is basically permanently bricking the tablet and Asus charges $200 to give a refurb.

The problem seems to occur on 5.0.x ONLY for the 2013 Nexus 7 and happens randomly once you shut down and restart the device.

This wouldn't be an issue if the memory leak didn't gently caress with things anyway...

No one knows if 5.1.1 has this same issue.

big business man
Sep 30, 2012

nerve posted:

I've never even gotten close to that. I got like 7 once, but I normally get like 5

dont skimp on the shrimp
Apr 23, 2008

:coffee:

CLAM DOWN posted:

Zero, the drat thing didn't have a mark on it and worked perfectly. We dunked in a pitcher of water too. Pretty cool.
No chance to try it with small explosives?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

nerve posted:

From the Engadget review.

quote:

In our standard video stress test (say it with me: HD video looping indefinitely with screen brightness set to 50 percent), the Turbo stuck it out for just under 14.5 hours before it finally gave up the ghost.