Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Raku posted:

Slots seven and eight are just the iron bowl

This would be a better argument if Auburn weren't subject to occasionally going from undefeated to 3-9 in the blink of an eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

LeeMajors posted:

This would be a better argument if Auburn weren't subject to occasionally going from undefeated to 3-9 in the blink of an eye.

It also doesn't make mathematical sense. But, hey, SEC.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

Raku posted:

If no group of five champ is in the top 20 then slot six is a team of all star retirees.

I propose the "Two birds one stone" solution in this case....

The worst team in the NFL.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Every year include the literal worst team in the FBS as a sacrificial lamb to the #1 seed, then watch as one year that #1 seed blows it to an 0-12 team.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I'm imaging the best team in the country deliberately losing every single game, just for an automatic bid at the playoffs.

It'd be worth it to see.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

*Every year have VT play Ohio State

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I don't like the idea of at-larges, but I have no clue what solution there is.

Obviously the at-large teams are going to end up just being two teams that lost in their conference championship, so what was the point of that game? I also don't like taking someone that finished second in their division because it incentivizes not playing in your conference championship game. Plus it means lame playoff rematch. Rematches are lame.

Just figure out some way to make this happen:

1) ACC trades VT to the SEC for...a sack of boiled peanuts or something. Texas A&M and VT have slap fight over all their Medals of Honor every year and the trophy for the Hokie-Smokie Classic is the city of Bristol itself.
2) UConn replaces VT in the ACC.
3) ECU and UxF join ACC. ACC now has 16 teams.
4) The President orders the Big 12 to stop being a thing.
5) WVU joins SEC, couches blaze forth more numerous than the stars in celebration. SEC now has 16 teams.
6) Notre Dame joins the Big Ten after being threatened with being put on an ice floe and set out to sea with the Ivies.
7) A secret meeting between the Big Ten and Pac 12 involves all the members of the Big 12 written on slips of paper and put into a hat.
8) Big Ten draws one of the Texas teams. It doesn't matter which one. Its all TEXAS TV MARKET no matter what. Let's say its TCU.
9) Pac 12 picks up Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State. Everyone else they tell to go join a basketball conference or something.
10) The problem has solved itself. The only caveat is that if the Big Ten and Pac 12 champs are seeded against each other, they play in the Rose Bowl.

You laugh now, but I predicted Colorado setting off the conference apocalypse five years before it happened and was the only person saying Maryland would join the Big Ten some day. Maybe I'll be right again!

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
11) The Big Ten kicks Penn State out of its conference and the rest of the world applauds and gives the Big Ten a Nobel Prize.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
If Notre Dame joins any conference in the near future, it's going to be the ACC since they're already half-ACC anyway. :colbert:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Detroit_Dogg posted:

11) The Big Ten kicks Penn State out of its conference and the rest of the world applauds and gives the Big Ten a Nobel Prize.

QTIYD

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

While we are at it we can add the Agro Crag because what team shouldn't want a piece of that radical rock.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Delaney sits on his dark throne, drawing all markets to him. Do you think he would dare lose Philadelphia and Pittsburgh?

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Did America want to get involved in World War Two? No, but sometimes you have to do things because they are right and just.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Sash! posted:

9) Pac 12 picks up Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State. Everyone else they tell to go join a basketball conference or something.

Still bummed that this didn't end up happening. The Pac-16 would have been so fun.

Also the counter-argument to "why should conference championship losers get another shot" is that sometimes the two best teams in the country are in the same conference. With the bowl system it didn't make sense to reward the championship loser, but with a playoff bracket you can do things like seed them 6th/8th as a concession that yes they're a good team but they still didn't win their conference. Rematches can definitely be lame, but with the playoffs you can set it up so it doesn't happen in the first round, and then you have a situation where if the two teams meet again in the finals, then they both deserve to be there and have a chance to win it all.

You know, ~in theory~.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Bama LSU part 2 was the worst. I somehow cared less than I did for notre dame Bama.

gently caress Bama.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Bama/Notre Dame loving ruled

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

The Big Jesus posted:

Bama LSU part 2 was the worst. I somehow cared less than I did for notre dame Bama.

gently caress Bama.

Of course Jesus didn't like the public shaming of His favorite school.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Detroit_Dogg posted:

Bama/Notre Dame loving ruled

I feel like if UGA had beat Alabama the result would have been the same but that whole game I was hoping for an extinction event meteor to end us all instead of someone winning that game.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

KKKLIP ART posted:

I feel like if UGA had beat Alabama the result would have been the same but that whole game I was hoping for an extinction event meteor to end us all instead of someone winning that game.

The Georgia fan melt downs from that SEC championship game were magical on this forum, so that alone was worth it.

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

Fluffdaddy posted:

The Georgia fan melt downs from that SEC championship game were magical on this forum, so that alone was worth it.

One of the best games of the year.

Also I just went to find out who caught that last uga pass and espn says some dude named Chris Conley. I then clicked to check out his profile and it says he's some punter on Ole Miss :iiam:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

JRizzle posted:

using college baseball in an argument should be bannable imo

I was kidding. ISU had to drop their baseball program like 10 years ago

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

The Big Jesus posted:

gently caress Bama.

Bama-LSU part 2 was the best because if that doesn't happen we're still in the BCS and last year's title game was Bama-FSU. If Bama hadn't won that national title they would have won 2014 anyway since we'd still be under the old system.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
That Georgia game was awesome and was also the real national championship, either team would have crucified ND.

It's still amazing that the public beat down was just a preview of the national humiliation Notre Dame was about to receive for one Samoan getting catfished.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

JRizzle posted:

using college baseball in an argument should be bannable imo

gently caress you college baseball is awesome.

I just wish it were 1997 again so Brads Wilkerson and Kresse were crushing 480ft bombs out of Rosenblatt with 2 3/4" barrel TPXs again. :allears:

Good. Ole. Days.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast

LeeMajors posted:

gently caress you college baseball is awesome.

I just wish it were 1997 again so Brads Wilkerson and Kresse were crushing 480ft bombs out of Rosenblatt with 2 3/4" barrel TPXs again. :allears:

Good. Ole. Days.

This man is correct

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Ping!

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

RIP Gendo

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

I don't know if you guys played, but when someone went absolutely flush on a middle-in fastball it would almost deafen me behind the plate. Devastating sound that I miss so, so much.

At least the new balls have made a big difference. RIP Dead Bat Era aka Suicide Squeeze Seppuku.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Fluffdaddy posted:

I was watching it is my couch with my wife, both of us were super disappointed but knew that Conley only did what anyone does when they see a ball coming at them as a receiver. I still say if that pass doesn't get tipped, Mitchell catches it and UGA wins. I can say that seeing some fans meltdown and it made me shake my head at them.

Chris Conley also owns really hard and rocked the Combine this year.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

I wrote a big long post about playoff stuff, then completely lost interest in actually posting it.

I'd rather point out that they should try to cobble three useful conferences out of the mid-majors and just do that instead. Eight bids, one for every conference.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

MourningView posted:

I was kidding. ISU had to drop their baseball program like 10 years ago

Well good. The less baseball the better.

Yes I realize Mizzou actually has a good baseball team right now, but gently caress no I'm not watching that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I don't see how it is particularly expensive to run a baseball team as compared to other sports. Same with soccer, why a lot of schools only do women's soccer have no clue but all soccer is good soccer.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

College baseball's existence barely makes sense in these modern times.

I have a more generalized sports musing that the wide availability of professional sports media has had a detrimental effect on sports participation.

KKKLIP ART posted:

I don't see how it is particularly expensive to run a baseball team as compared to other sports. Same with soccer, why a lot of schools only do women's soccer have no clue but all soccer is good soccer.

Baseball needs a big fancy building and men's soccer means a bunch of scholarships you have to find in other sports for the ladies. That's why there's so few hockey teams, and you have to go both men's and women's if you get hockey. Lady soccer soaks up a bunch of the lady scholarships you have to have.

Sash! fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 16, 2015

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
If you have a successful college baseball program, then there's some appreciable expense attached to it.

If you don't, you don't see the reason why college baseball should exist.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

C2C - 2.0 posted:

If you have a successful college baseball program, then there's some appreciable expense attached to it.

If you don't, you don't see the reason why college baseball should exist.

To be fair, you could say this about drat near any sport at your school of choice.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

DJExile posted:

To be fair, you could say this about drat near any sport at your school of choice.

Yeah, I agree. I should've clarified that; it just seems that baseball, in particular, has no real middle ground in college.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Adidas gave miss state cool warm up shirts and their admin threw a fit http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2015/04/16/msu-reveals-new-viva-starkvegas-warmups/25898295/

E: Okay they're pretty stupid as you see more of it but telling your rival to gently caress off is always cool. Pretty conflicted.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 17, 2015

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

pillsburysoldier posted:

Adidas gave miss state cool warm up shirts and their admin threw a fit http://www.clarionledger.com/story/mississippistatesports/2015/04/16/msu-reveals-new-viva-starkvegas-warmups/25898295/

E: Okay they're pretty stupid as you see more of it but telling your rival to gently caress off is always cool. Pretty conflicted.

hahaha those shirts are amazing. I can understand the AD coming out against them with "gently caress" on it, even if it's censored, but they're pretty hilarious.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy
No one should feel "pretty conflicted" about any apparel that displays "gently caress Ole Miss".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

No one should feel "pretty conflicted" about any apparel that displays "gently caress Ole Miss".

Right on

• Locked thread