Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

space marine todd
Nov 7, 2014

A bunch of people at HardOCP can't stop raving about using 40"/48" Samsung 4k TVs as monitors. The big caveat is that you'd need a video card with HDMI 2.0 in order to output at 4k/60Hz.

This sounds amazing for general audio/video/image production work and while I'm pretty happy with my 3007WFP-HC, I am also awfully tempted. My overriding instinct is to wait until someone does this with DisplayPort (and for the price to go down).

Has anyone here tried this though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Finally pulled the trigger on a Dell U2715H when it dropped to $518 on Amazon today. Can't wait to finally replace my 10 year old 21.5" 1080p TN display. Thanks for the advices monitor thread!

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm interested in the Dell P2715Q.

I suppose Windows' high DPI mode is still a loving joke? Talking Windows 8.1 and beyond.

Does the monitor interpolate or expect a fix resolution? Say for running games at 1080p instead of 4K.

I have the HP equivalent to this monitor (Z27s) and it's really quite nice. I'm not using any scaling on it, which does make it obnoxious to use unless you're sitting 2 feet away or closer. But, it's at work, we're still using win7, and 7's scaling sucks rear end. So I just zoom web pages/excel/code windows/etc in when I'm leaned way back in my chair, and sit up/push my chair forward when I want to view something huge at 100%

I wouldn't buy one for my use at home though, really. 2560 * 1440/1600 monitors still give a better experience for gaming, while having enough resolution for browser windows/random other junk.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Truga posted:

1080p is exactly half 4k, so you don't get any issues with it. Just 1 pixel becomes 4 pixels.

Though the image will still use linear filtering and not nearest-neighbor (unless you have some way of explicitly enabling it). Even if you do, the pixels will look huge because the space between each of them will be much smaller than an equivalent 1080p screen.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

space marine todd posted:

A bunch of people at HardOCP can't stop raving about using 40"/48" Samsung 4k TVs as monitors. The big caveat is that you'd need a video card with HDMI 2.0 in order to output at 4k/60Hz.

This sounds amazing for general audio/video/image production work and while I'm pretty happy with my 3007WFP-HC, I am also awfully tempted. My overriding instinct is to wait until someone does this with DisplayPort (and for the price to go down).

Has anyone here tried this though?

The good news is that you no longer need a crazy expensive video card to do this now that the GTX 960 is out. At $200, it is now the cheapest 2nd-gen Maxwell card you can buy (this is the family of cards that gets you HDMI 2.0). The bad news is that a lot of TVs that claim HDMI 2.0 support may still only be able to do 4:2:0 chroma sub-sampling at 4k@60Hz, so do your research. Input latency is worth scrutinizing as well.

Edit: I almost forgot that most TVs still won't have DPMS support, which means they won't go into standby when told to. It would be best to go with one of the below options for that reason.

If $200 is still too much, the alternative is to get one of those 40" VA monitors that is basically a TV panel repackaged for computer use. These have DisplayPort 1.2 built in, and even cheap video hardware is starting to get this format, so you won't need to make a major purchase just to drive the monitor. The three to look at are the Philips 4065UC ($820), Crossover 44K ($680), and Seiki Pro 40 SM40UNP ($1000). The first two are not available in Western markets and have to be imported from Korea, but many of us are pretty used to the idea of doing that by now.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 15, 2015

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

Bought a new HP display, however I didn't do enough homework and realized that it had a DVI-D port at the very last second and my GPU's only DVI port is DVI-I :bang:. Think I can get away with something like this for a last minute save without having to resort to VGA? (This wouldn't be a problem if the display that I bought had an HDMI port).

Xires fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Apr 15, 2015

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DVI-I supports both DVI-D and DVI-A signals, the monitor will work fine from the DVI port.

Xires
Jun 28, 2013

BurritoJustice posted:

DVI-I supports both DVI-D and DVI-A signals, the monitor will work fine from the DVI port.

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. I'm at least glad they both have dual link ports, otherwise I suppose I'd be dealing with a real issue.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What's the cheapest 27" 2560 x 1440 IPS with display port or another input compatible (via simple adapter) with thunderbolt? extra bonus points if it will wake from sleep without unplugging from my MacBook.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
If your cable doesn't have the four prongs on the analog side, you can plug it into anything.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Truga posted:

1080p is exactly half 4k, so you don't get any issues with it. Just 1 pixel becomes 4 pixels.

How is 1920×1080 half of 3840×2160? It's exactly one quarter.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

HalloKitty posted:

How is 1920×1080 half of 3840×2160? It's exactly one quarter.

It's exactly half in each direction? 2160/1080=2 :shrug:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
4K sounded interesting for primarily photography and image editing. The resolution has also the advantage of allowing upscaling of 1080p games with an integer scale factor to 4K. And if HiDPI would work correctly in general (which it apparently doesn't), at 150% UIs would become easily legible without looking either mongohuge or too small.

HiDPI is almost mandatory. If my main apps all work OK, I suppose I could accept that some others break. Otherwise I'll have to look again at 1440p.

The P2715Q is being reviewed as pretty good and it's relatively cheap.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I really feel like 4k+ is a huge gimmick, at least right now and for the near future. We got in the 5k imacs at work and it doesn't make nearly as much of a difference as you would think. It's also funny that going back to 1080p scaling is a selling point.

Just get a 1440p or the ultra widescreens. That's practical and reasonable. The photographer in our group barely even cares about the high res and he has the most reason to. He's a huge gadget nerd too so you know he would like it if there was any good reason.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, it's really more of an image quality thing than a real-estate thing at most sizes.

How does 1440-scaled-to-4K look? Is it generally good, or do you really notice that something is off?

Jaypeeh
Feb 22, 2003

This may be a question more for a graphic/computer art thread, but I was wondering if anyone here could help me a bit with color calibrating issues.. What I really need to figure out is how to get my laptop display, external asus monitor, and my printer to all be calibrated to look approx. the same. The printer part of it is something I'll probably have to figure out elsewhere but if anyone could give me some advice on getting the two monitors to display colors more similarly that would be awesome. I've tinkered with the windows options and the internal monitor settings somewhat, but can't seem to find a good middle ground. Would a calibration dongle like colormunki be able to calibrate two displays to match eachother? I have an old pantone Huey but aside from not being supported anymore, it didn't seem like it was meant for that purpose as much as it was for adjusting for room light and keeping things consistent on one monitor. I can't really afford the higher end dongles but I could get a colormunki, just can't seem to find an answer to whether or not it will meet my aforementioned needs. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is not the appropriate place for such a question.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
A hardware calibration tool won't be able to get them to match exactly (That's just plain impossible with two very different LCD panels), but it'll get as close as the monitors are capable of.

Mush Man
Jun 25, 2010

Nintendo announces Frolf means Frog Golf.
Oven Wrangler
I want to get the Acer Predator XB270HU and also an ASUS PB278GR as the second monitor, but they have different refresh rates. Will that cause any issues or will it just work?

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map

Mush Man posted:

I want to get the Acer Predator XB270HU and also an ASUS PB278GR as the second monitor, but they have different refresh rates. Will that cause any issues or will it just work?
It will work just fine, but if you're planning on stretching an application across both screens, it will run at the ASUS's refresh rate.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Truga posted:

It's exactly half in each direction? 2160/1080=2 :shrug:

Half in each direction, yes, but 4x the amount of pixels.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Taima posted:

I really feel like 4k+ is a huge gimmick, at least right now and for the near future. We got in the 5k imacs at work and it doesn't make nearly as much of a difference as you would think.

The difference is small due to antialiasing. In my opinion, until I can run everything without it, the DPI is too low :v:

Until then, I'll keep my 2560x1600 though, it'll serve me well until I get my rift.

fatpat268 posted:

Half in each direction, yes, but 4x the amount of pixels.

Which is why I said 1 pixel becomes 4? :shrug:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Ajaxify posted:

If I have the patience, cash, and graphics card for it, is there any reason I wouldn't wait for the Acer XR341CK? It's supposed to be a curved 34" IPS ultrawide with 144hz 1440p g-sync. http://www.overclock.net/t/1537403/tftcentral-acer-predator-xr341ck-34-curved-gaming-screen-with-g-sync

That monitor has been clarified as only supporting up to 75Hz, which puts it back into the realm of physically possible to drive with today's video connections. So, not as fancy as some people were hoping, but it's still 25% faster than your normal 60Hz monitor.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

xenilk posted:

Question to anyone who bought "TOPSYNC 2710 LED 27" QHD 2560x1440" from ebay ... is there a way to enable the buttons at the bottom of the screen? I find that other than the power button...the other buttons don't do anything.

The brightness buttons work for me on mine. Nothing else besides the power button works though.

DammitJanet
Dec 26, 2006

Nice shootin', Tex.

Rabid Snake posted:

The brightness buttons work for me on mine. Nothing else besides the power button works though.

The other two buttons are for volume of the built-in speakers.

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

Yeah, just remember DVI doesn't carry audio so if you're using DVI, and you didn't specifically connect the audio port in the back so you can listen to the terrible built in speakers, they won't function.

Broccoli Cat
Mar 8, 2013

"so, am I right in understanding that you're a bigot or aficionado of racist humor?

STAR CITIZEN is for WHITES ONLY!

:lesnick:
I'm contemplating a 1 or 2-projector setup on a large curved solid screen.

My projector experience is zero, but am I right in assuming one has some control over both focus and projected image size?

Does anyone know the minimum size a projected image might be? -I ask this because fitting a 2 projector-sized image would enable some peripheral vision.

edit: oh poo poo I didn't see the projector thread in the gadgets forum...hope I didn't offend any delicate sensibilities

Broccoli Cat fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Apr 16, 2015

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Tanbo posted:

Yeah, just remember DVI doesn't carry audio so if you're using DVI, and you didn't specifically connect the audio port in the back so you can listen to the terrible built in speakers, they won't function.

It depends, because of the compatibility in both directions it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that some devices can take HDMI format audio on their DVI port. Pretty much every HDMI capable GPU can do the other way around, so it might even be possible to have a HDMI signal entirely flowing over DVI ports and cables.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

tesilential posted:

What's the cheapest 27" 2560 x 1440 IPS with display port or another input compatible (via simple adapter) with thunderbolt? extra bonus points if it will wake from sleep without unplugging from my MacBook.

Is this harder than I think? I've bookmarked this thread for months and almost bought a 27" korean a dozen times but keep doubting it's ability to work well with a macbook pro. i would rather pay more for the monitor than pay $80 for an active adapter for miniDP to dual link DVI. I have no interest in overclocking the monitor, I do no gaming at all.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

wolrah posted:

It depends, because of the compatibility in both directions it wouldn't surprise me one bit to find that some devices can take HDMI format audio on their DVI port. Pretty much every HDMI capable GPU can do the other way around, so it might even be possible to have a HDMI signal entirely flowing over DVI ports and cables.

I run a dvi to hdmi cable to my tv and it carries audio.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

tesilential posted:

Is this harder than I think? I've bookmarked this thread for months and almost bought a 27" korean a dozen times but keep doubting it's ability to work well with a macbook pro. i would rather pay more for the monitor than pay $80 for an active adapter for miniDP to dual link DVI. I have no interest in overclocking the monitor, I do no gaming at all.

Cheapest name brand with DisplayPort? That would most likely be the BenQ GW2765HT at $360. If the reviews from people having problems connecting their Apple computers are scaring you away, the next expensive one is the ASUS PB278Q at $432.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Apr 17, 2015

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

So now that I own a Seiki SE39UY04 4k display, what do I actually do with it? I've been using it for CAD, which don't get me wrong, is fantastic, but are there any apps that improve the experience with these stupidly high-res screens?

One that could break it up into four separate 1080p-sized regions for maximized windows would be amazing.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
I believe that DisplayFusion allows you to do something like that (I think they call it monitor splitting.)

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mozi posted:

I believe that DisplayFusion allows you to do something like that (I think they call it monitor splitting.)

Windows 10 has four direction window snap, too.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

thelightguy posted:

So now that I own a Seiki SE39UY04 4k display, what do I actually do with it? I've been using it for CAD, which don't get me wrong, is fantastic, but are there any apps that improve the experience with these stupidly high-res screens?

One that could break it up into four separate 1080p-sized regions for maximized windows would be amazing.

Look for winsplit revolution. http://youtu.be/DFfE9xYNs1M

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Looks like the ultrawide and curved bearer of hope from ACER will not support 120 or 144hz as previously reported. It will top out at 75hz.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#acer_xr341ck

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

mcbexx posted:

Looks like the ultrawide and curved bearer of hope from ACER will not support 120 or 144hz as previously reported. It will top out at 75hz.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/news_archive/33.htm#acer_xr341ck

Well... poo poo. Still probably get one anyway.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

So despite very few reviews outside the TFTCentral one for the XB270HU, I bought one anyway. It should be here next week(? who knows with new hardware)

Anyone know if I should worry that this was a bad idea/waste of money?

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Grraarrgghh posted:

So despite very few reviews outside the TFTCentral one for the XB270HU, I bought one anyway. It should be here next week(? who knows with new hardware)

Anyone know if I should worry that this was a bad idea/waste of money?

TFTCentral are far and away the best and most reputable monitor review source, and they called the XB270HU the best gaming monitor ever. I think you're safe.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

BurritoJustice posted:

TFTCentral are far and away the best and most reputable monitor review source, and they called the XB270HU the best gaming monitor ever. I think you're safe.

Figured. Thought it would be prudent to ask, since dropping nearly a grand on a 27" display is a rarity.

Any idea why there are no more reviews? It's been up for sale for a few weeks now, hasn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Grraarrgghh posted:

Figured. Thought it would be prudent to ask, since dropping nearly a grand on a 27" display is a rarity.

Any idea why there are no more reviews? It's been up for sale for a few weeks now, hasn't it?

Lots of people that have it here: http://www.overclock.net/t/1549176/official-acer-predator-xb270hu-owners-club/0_30