Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
The other module better be fuckin called pooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP
scoop'n'scatter man

Sorry, but there's a BitRazER and a delay called Demora. There should be a fourth one, but I don't have the link handy.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Also a System 1 modular... but with no scatter. :negative:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
gently caress me that really is a digital MS-20 then

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young

Dotcom Jillionaire posted:

I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem

Hello Ardcore and Korgaamatron buddy

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem I don't have a problem

You think you have a problem? The store laid a trap for me... I came in to pick up the Metropolis that I had on order for months and the guy behind the counter was like "hey, we had a customer decide modular wasn't his thing, so he returned all his stuff and I know you were looking at the Mutable Elements, we've got one on discount"...

...yeah, the only good news is my 15U is close to full, and I'm too lazy to build another anytime soon.

breaks
May 12, 2001

Well taking a look at your pictures, obviously you DO - there's empty tile space in your top rack and room for another module or more in the second one (hard to see). What the gently caress dude? Chop chop.

Also those Roland modules are such a disappointment. :( Especially the delay since there is still no real competitor for the $600 and mostly unavailable Modcan one.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
Looking at the new roland modular and finally listening to some of the system 1 demos I could see myself actually getting this and a 90hp pittsburgh case to fill with "fun" things to modulate the hell out of it. Still waiting on hearing more with the JD-Xa though since it's really come down between that and the Pro 2 since the new modulus 001 that was also unveiled only has a 2 track sequencer which is super lame.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

breaks posted:

Also those Roland modules are such a disappointment.

...there is another

hail satan

e- JD-XA ad trying to best the old flying cz101
2phat2phurious

Startyde fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 15, 2015

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Holy poo poo they're reissuing system100 modules? Seriously I almost shed a tear. Unbelievable.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
synthgoons, help my throw all of my money down a hole! :suicide:

i have about 44HP of space left in my planned setup. what would you put in there?

i was leaning toward a makenoise DPO but that thing is huge and doesn't leave a lot of space. i'm thinking at least one VCF and at least one envelope generator. are there any obvious deficiencies that i should be thinking about?

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Startyde posted:

2phat2phurious

I got something cool to show ya

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0x7y3Hfn6Y

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

breaks posted:

Well taking a look at your pictures, obviously you DO - there's empty tile space in your top rack and room for another module or more in the second one (hard to see). What the gently caress dude? Chop chop.

Also those Roland modules are such a disappointment. :( Especially the delay since there is still no real competitor for the $600 and mostly unavailable Modcan one.

It's a bitch to find, but here's a delay I've heard awesome things about. MSRP $299, cool patching options. It's a bit to wrap your head around from what I've been told but sputnik is making some cool stuff.
http://sputnik-modular.com/four-tap-delay-dual-crossfader/

As for Roland, I can see a sort of use for the System 1M to be honest. Besides plugout, the base sound is kinda generic, but the specs say they kept the four-voice polyphony. While the number of patch input points is kinda disappointing I could see the use case where you want chords synced to and controlled by the modular, since that sort of sound is something you really can't do for a reasonable price. It's just too bad they don't have more patch points for sound control in-module, but I could see that being vaguely tempting to look at in the longer run, especially with different plugout sounds.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Startyde posted:

...there is another

hail satan

2phat2phurious

I'm really excited about these new modules. My System 100m is my most prized possession, and you can read an entire thing I wrote about it that explains why it's so amazing here - http://privateprogram.blogspot.com/2013/12/my-roland-story.html

Roland's modulars are among the most elegantly and thoughtfully designed modulars ever.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Glass posted:

synthgoons, help my throw all of my money down a hole! :suicide:

i have about 44HP of space left in my planned setup. what would you put in there?

i was leaning toward a makenoise DPO but that thing is huge and doesn't leave a lot of space. i'm thinking at least one VCF and at least one envelope generator. are there any obvious deficiencies that i should be thinking about?

Out of curiosity... where the gently caress are you oscillators to actually make sounds?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

A Winner is Jew posted:

Out of curiosity... where the gently caress are you oscillators to actually make sounds?

the atlantis has at least one (two if you count the LFO, which can run in the audio range). The Dixie II (which i think is the same circuit) has the same property.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

Mr. Glass posted:

the atlantis has at least one (two if you count the LFO, which can run in the audio range). The Dixie II (which i think is the same circuit) has the same property.

:doh:

I got the atlantis and metropolis modules mixed up.

Also, speaking of modules... I know everyone loves Maths but how does the Tides stack up to it?

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
currently thinking about this setup to fill out that gap. only thing i'm not 100% on are the additional oscillators. might drop the Braids and add more mixer/modulator type modules

if it's not clear i have literally no idea what i'm doing

utamaru
Mar 8, 2008

BRAP BRAP BRAP BRAP

Mr. Glass posted:

if it's not clear i have literally no idea what i'm doing

Braids is a cool rear end module.
I'd say drop at least one of the vcf's. You need a vca, or two preferrably, so look at µVca II.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

If you're sticking to 6U, you might want to check out the RYO triple VCA, it's just 4hp. You'd probably want something different for audio but it's perfect for CV.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

utamaru posted:

Braids is a cool rear end module.
I'd say drop at least one of the vcf's. You need a vca, or two preferrably, so look at µVca II.

cool, thanks for the tip. any thoughts on keeping the STO in there or not? i'm considering dropping either it or the braids. the braids is so cool looking but it's relatively big.

Startyde posted:

If you're sticking to 6U, you might want to check out the RYO triple VCA, it's just 4hp. You'd probably want something different for audio but it's perfect for CV.

how would i control the amp level with that? do I have to run a voltage source through an attenuator?

breaks
May 12, 2001

You'd be surprised how often you don't need an attenuator, either because you're plugging it into something else that has one, or you're plugging it into something where you want it running full scale anyway.

For example, you have an Outs in that rack, so you might go oscillator->filter->vca->outs, and the outs has attenuators on it for controlling the level of the output, so you don't need to attenuate the CV also.

I personally prefer VCAs that have a CV attenuator and a bias knob, which can work together to set the level and offset of the CV. I really like the MMVCA, which works not only as 2 separate VCAs but also can be configured as a crossfader, panner, 2 channel manual or VC mixer, and also it has a little saturation circuit built in, and most importantly of course it has good blinkenlights. On the downside, it is larger and more expensive than most.

But, there is definitely something to be said for a setup like that triple VCA and a TriAtt.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
It looks like the RYO may not be easily acquired in the states, so i'll probably go with either the intellijel dual vca or the synthrotek, which looks similar to the RYO but only has two vcas.

thanks for the input everyone.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Synthcube stocks their stuff and you can get direct too. The owner is a good guy.

Autolyze
Dec 19, 2005

They did not know that they were going to tune in on A.D. 13,582.
Echoing the love for VCAs. I also think the Braids would provide more variety than the STO in the current setup, although it's probably just a matter of time before you buy them both.

I believe that the Expert Sleepers Disting is generally considered a must-have module these days, at least for smaller systems that might need a decent amount of flexibility. In particular you might be interested in its ability to quantize CV (if you're into making "music") and its S&H (if you're into making weird sounds). It should open a lot of doors in general and help you figure out what types of more dedicated modules you'll need when you inevitably expand to 15U.

Since there are no multiples in the case, you should make sure to grab a few stackable cables and/or those external Intellijel hubs.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009
looks like the disting is out of stock everywhere :(

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Damnit, the mod wheel on my Ultranova isn't sending MIDI at all... I couldn't even get the thing open the last time something was dodgy. Is it something I could fix easily or should I get it fixed? How much would it run?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

breaks posted:

You'd be surprised how often you don't need an attenuator, either because you're plugging it into something else that has one, or you're plugging it into something where you want it running full scale anyway.

For example, you have an Outs in that rack, so you might go oscillator->filter->vca->outs, and the outs has attenuators on it for controlling the level of the output, so you don't need to attenuate the CV also.

I personally prefer VCAs that have a CV attenuator and a bias knob, which can work together to set the level and offset of the CV. I really like the MMVCA, which works not only as 2 separate VCAs but also can be configured as a crossfader, panner, 2 channel manual or VC mixer, and also it has a little saturation circuit built in, and most importantly of course it has good blinkenlights. On the downside, it is larger and more expensive than most.

But, there is definitely something to be said for a setup like that triple VCA and a TriAtt.

Adding my love for VCAs that work as attenuators; I was planning for a 6U and the guy at the shop recommended the Linix; I thought it was overkill and one to grow on but even with six VCAs I would run out. Bonus use case: using half your VCA outs for one output, half for the other, and with an inverter you can make some cool stereo panning effects by doubling up a signal on both sides and using an LFO to "pan" the signal between the two sides.

And yeah, the disting is the swiss army chainsaw of modular right now, but it's nigh-impossible to find. Put the money down with a reputable dealer and it'll make sure you get a reasonable spot in the line to get one.

Scatterfold
Nov 4, 2008

Postmodular have 7 in stock at the moment if you're in the UK or thereabouts: http://postmodular.co.uk/expert-sleepers/disting

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Anyone gonna kickstart the Elka Syntex remake? Looks awesome, but I ain't got 3.3k to be blowing on synthamasizers.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
goddammit why did i have to reread that series on the 100m literally an hour before i saw roland's new 500 series modules on vse?
seriously planning a modular now , even if it means converting to 1/8"

byob historian fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Apr 16, 2015

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

Hey, maybe they'll suck.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
:hfive:

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Startyde posted:

Hey, maybe they'll suck.

That's the spirit.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

net work error posted:

That's the spirit.

just one fix

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
synthtopia.jpg

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
So speaking of modular :smithicide: what are peoples opinions on the System 1m as a base system and pairing it with 1-2 Pittsburgh cell 90's that only have the "fun" modulation stuff since the 1m would cover all the basics?

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

A Winner is Jew posted:

So speaking of modular :smithicide: what are peoples opinions on the System 1m as a base system and pairing it with 1-2 Pittsburgh cell 90's that only have the "fun" modulation stuff since the 1m would cover all the basics?

I can't say it's a bad start to pair with a Cell 90 - it means you get MIDI in and even polyphony right out of the box. While the patch points might be a bit less than what you'd get with a synthesizer box module it offers a fair bit. It all depends on what you want from your Move 104; are you going to be processing the audio from the oscillators and feeding it back to the filter, or will your Move 208 be more for controlling the sound of the 1M? Since you're planning to get a 12U like I currently have, and I'm looking to maybe get one eventually, I think it's a pretty good one to grow on, and the onboard effects on the 1M will make your 18U system really shine...

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx

stillvisions posted:

I can't say it's a bad start to pair with a Cell 90 - it means you get MIDI in and even polyphony right out of the box. While the patch points might be a bit less than what you'd get with a synthesizer box module it offers a fair bit. It all depends on what you want from your Move 104; are you going to be processing the audio from the oscillators and feeding it back to the filter, or will your Move 208 be more for controlling the sound of the 1M? Since you're planning to get a 12U like I currently have, and I'm looking to maybe get one eventually, I think it's a pretty good one to grow on, and the onboard effects on the 1M will make your 18U system really shine...

Sorry, I meant getting Cell 90 case(s) and not the Cell 90 systems and filling them with modules since the System 1m would start me out with 2 OCS, Midi-CV, Effects, and an LFO and ENV, so the actual modular system would mostly be for controlling the sound of the System 1m. Start small with a Maths (or Tides), Optomix, and maybe a sequencer for more CV triggering.

e: Possibly adding a proper filter to the mix as well but it would be down the line, but mostly the the System 1m would act as an Atlantis module of sorts with midi-cv and effects already in it.

A Winner is Jew fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
Hey do any of you have experience with the new Komplete Kontrol keyboards? They look pretty neat but I'm wondering about how they really play.