Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Lork posted:

The door was obvious, it's the bookcase that I got stuck on. I probed all the walls looking for secrets once, but I never would've thought to try it again, because why on earth would the critical path through a level be behind a completely unmarked fake wall inside what appears to be a secret area?
The scanning device on your PDU picks up a bunch of stuff in that area, including the bookcase being moveable. Originally the scanning mode was only active on maps like Providence so you'd know to utilize it but eventually it became useful for showing switches and stuff so it was activated by default.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Jblade posted:

The scanning device on your PDU picks up a bunch of stuff in that area, including the bookcase being moveable. Originally the scanning mode was only active on maps like Providence so you'd know to utilize it but eventually it became useful for showing switches and stuff so it was activated by default.
Oh the scanner, huh. I kind of forgot that was even a thing because it's inconvenient to use and hasn't really been relevant at all until now. I feel like if you expect players to use the scanner somewhere, you need need to give them a hint that it's needed. It doesn't need to be explicit, just some sort of indication that this particular room is important and needs to be searched.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Lork posted:

Oh the scanner, huh. I kind of forgot that was even a thing because it's inconvenient to use and hasn't really been relevant at all until now. I feel like if you expect players to use the scanner somewhere, you need need to give them a hint that it's needed. It doesn't need to be explicit, just some sort of indication that this particular room is important and needs to be searched.
That's a fair point since one of the things I wanted to add but never got around to was a notifier if something of interest in nearby, but on the other hand we didn't really want to say 'HEY USE THIS NOW' because then people would just wait for the signal rather than naturally deciding to use it in situations when they're stuck or want to see if something is around in the environment.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot
I'm playing daikatana on a windows 8.1 through steam and it keeps crashing when i enter new maps, or at some point my saves get corrupted or something.
Is there a way to make this unstable piece of crap uh more stable?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
You patched up to 1.3 already, right?

Commander Keenan
Dec 5, 2012

Not Boba Fett
John Romero favorited a tweet of mine last night so if you wanna get on his good side, say you like Daikatana.

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Elliotw2 posted:

You patched up to 1.3 already, right?

Thanks man! will check if this works out!

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
At this point, I think that Daikatana 1.3 should be put in the OP because of how useful it is.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
So if I wanted to play some good ol' fashioned software rendered Quake multiplayer with someone what would I do/which sourceport would I use?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Why bother with a sourceport? Regular rear end Quake.exe or quakeworld should run without much work. I don't think any of the sourceports have a software mode, but quakespasm or fitzquake should be close enough with their lighting options and disabling the texture filtering.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I get by pretty well just using NQuake for multiplayer. Mostly because I don't have actual admin access to my access point for hosting.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Commander Keenan posted:

John Romero favorited a tweet of mine last night so if you wanna get on his good side, say you like Daikatana.

I emailed him to ask about whether he knew where to get a daikatana t-shirt because I've had great fun with the game in coop, but he hasnt got back to me yet. I like to think he's making some calls to have a crate of them delivered to me.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

I suspect Romero's gotten so many questions, requests, and comments about Daikatana now that every time someone even has the letters in a sentence while talking to them, he increases in power.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

I would've been sooo happy if Doom had gotten an anime in 90s like SiN. That would've been so cool.

Zaphod42 posted:

If anybody's curious, here's what Seal of Nehahra looks/sounds like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnwdPOBgKHo

Although its way better when its rendering in real-time on your local machine in nice resolution.
The voices are low quality but the acting is surprisingly decent and the writing is pretty good too.

It retroactively gives Quake a really good back-story. Yeah, Quake always had some story in the manual about Quake's forces, but it was pretty thin at best and kinda a mess.
Seal of Nehahra is like Doom combined with Half-life. And its got some nice drama and humor too.

Oh my god, its Phil.

I'm willing to accept this as the canon to Quake.

"now, I've seen everything."

closeted republican posted:

At this point, I think that Daikatana 1.3 should be put in the OP because of how useful it is.

I'm gonna finish my last run of 1.2 before I move onto 1.3 but I've heard good things about the patch even if it's still a little rough around the edges on E2 and E3.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

TerminusEst13 posted:

I suspect Romero's gotten so many questions, requests, and comments about Daikatana now that every time someone even has the letters in a sentence while talking to them, he increases in power.

My god! That's how he made us his bitch after all!

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

John Romero is actually a powerful wizard and at one point of time wanted to share the power with us all

unfortunately, when he was trying to announce that to the world, some fuckhead at an ad agency switched a "w" for a "b" and look where we are now

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

Daikatana is getting pretty close to Half-Life for my most played-through game

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

uncleKitchener posted:

I would've been sooo happy if Doom had gotten an anime in 90s like SiN. That would've been so cool.

I'm willing to accept this as the canon to Quake.

"now, I've seen everything."

I'm gonna finish my last run of 1.2 before I move onto 1.3 but I've heard good things about the patch even if it's still a little rough around the edges on E2 and E3.

1.3 is so much better than 1.2. The Wyndrax fix and widescreen support alone would be enough for a download, but it makes a tremendous improvement to Mikiko and Superfly's AI and pathing, fixes a lot of bugs in maps and the code, let's you play solo without having to mess with co-op mode, shared XP for co-op, and a fixed server browser. It's essential as a source port is to Doom and Quake 1.

I recently played thorugh DK with 1.3, and I didn't notice any problems with E2 and E3.

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 16, 2015

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

The coop run I did with chickenheart and irish taxi driver with 1.3 worked pretty much flawlessly, except there was a weird error on one of the E2 maps where it said we had a different map version?

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

FirstPersonShitter posted:

The coop run I did with chickenheart and irish taxi driver with 1.3 worked pretty much flawlessly, except there was a weird error on one of the E2 maps where it said we had a different map version?

It's likely you all had an older version of the patch. A good idea is to grab the latest builds over here before starting a co-op session. If it bugs out with the same error in a lot of maps, just switch back to the latest stable version over at https://bitbucket.org/DGibson/daikatana-1.3/wiki/Downloads.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

So if I wanted to play some good ol' fashioned software rendered Quake multiplayer with someone what would I do/which sourceport would I use?

Elliotw2 ain't wrong; if you're doing simple deathmatch on the classic maps -- and on Windows -- then the original executables may still work fine for you.

If they don't work, or if that's not your situation, you do have options tho.

Any answers I'm posting here are mostly cribbed from http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=118401000 so I might as well go ahead and link that guide here again. The short form for software-renderer multiplayer stuff is:
  • ezQuake: QuakeWorld, Windows/OSX/Linux (non-Windows version may be iffy tho, and you have to go back in the Sourceforge project to get version 2.1.1 if you want the software renderer)
  • qbism Super 8: non-QuakeWorld, Windows
  • bjp/aguirRe's: non-QuakeWorld, Windows
  • TyrQuake: QuakeWorld or not, Windows/OSX/Linux
  • QuakeForge: QuakeWorld or not, Windows/Linux

Aside from ezQuake, multiplayer is/was probably not a big priority for most of these engines, so they might be hit or miss.

One other possibility is the most recent beta of Fitzquake Mark V posted in the thread at http://www.celephais.net/board/view_thread.php?id=60831 . The recent betas include a "WinQuake renderer" version (non-QuakeWorld, for Windows only). The guy working on this is the same programmer behind ProQuake, so probably there's a good shot at the multiplayer being OK.

=====

Few other things to mention.

If you're playing on a local LAN with just a few folks, you may want to quick-and-dirty host a game rather than setting up a dedicated server. Any non-QuakeWorld client, including the original Quake, will let you do that by starting a new multiplayer game from the menus.

For QuakeWorld, the original clients require a dedicated server. ezQuake however will let you host a multiplayer game from the client.

If you're NOT on a LAN, and you have folks connecting over the internet, you have to worry about port forwarding. QuakeWorld is pretty easy to set up; Google should have your back there. Non-QuakeWorld can be a mess though; more about that at http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-help/servers-coding/5831-tcp-udp-port-mapping-quake-using-winded-exe-host.html

JLaw fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Apr 16, 2015

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf
I apologize for making GBS threads up this thread with the "Stuck in AMC Chronicles", but, well... it keeps happening.

This time it's the EDF mission "Clear the Coast". I destroyed the poison burger machine, but no new pathways seemed to open up. I have no idea what to do next

Chinese Tony Danza
Oct 30, 2007

Crappy Cat Connoisseur
Looking out from the area you blow up the burger machine from, it's in the alcove on the top right of the wall, which was already there with the exit behind a force field. Use the jetpack to get up there.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Chinese Tony Danza posted:

Looking out from the area you blow up the burger machine from, it's in the alcove on the top right of the wall, which was already there with the exit behind a force field. Use the jetpack to get up there.
Ohhhhhhh, that was a jetpack I picked up. Pickup and status messages tend to disappear almost instantly for some reason, and from the sprite I just assumed it was a scuba tank or some flamethrower fuel or something and didn't give it a second thought (playing as the character who looks like a Vac suit/fusion BoB). Thanks.

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012

M.Ciaster posted:

John Romero is actually a powerful wizard and at one point of time wanted to share the power with us all

unfortunately, when he was trying to announce that to the world, some fuckhead at an ad agency switched a "w" for a "b" and look where we are now
That means this is his theme song, because that's exactly what it is about.
https://youtu.be/YgQRRI9goFg

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Lork posted:

Ohhhhhhh, that was a jetpack I picked up. Pickup and status messages tend to disappear almost instantly for some reason, and from the sprite I just assumed it was a scuba tank or some flamethrower fuel or something and didn't give it a second thought (playing as the character who looks like a Vac suit/fusion BoB). Thanks.
Yeah that's a bug I've been trying to track down but not having any luck.

I released a patch for the TC here which fixes some things brought up here. It also adds a bunch more stuff to the EDF missions since they seem to be fairly popular. The patch isn't compatible with save games but you don't need to lose your progress or anything. If you're mid-mission, finish or abort the mission and head back to base. Quit, install the patch and then re-start whichever episode you're on (you can skip both intro sequences) you can carry on from there.

Jblade fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 16, 2015

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Jblade posted:

Yeah that's a bug I've been trying to track down but not having any luck.

I released a patch for the TC here which fixes some things brought up here. It also adds a bunch more stuff to the EDF missions since they seem to be fairly popular. The patch isn't compatible with save games but you don't need to lose your progress or anything. If you're mid-mission, finish or abort the mission and head back to base. Quit, install the patch and then re-start whichever episode you're on (you can skip both intro sequences) you can carry on from there.
Has that been updated since you posted about it earlier in this thread? If not, I already have it.

Jblade
Sep 5, 2006

Yeah, more things have been fixed and there's the new maps in the EDF collection (The earlier patch was a beta version just to make sure nothing too bad got screwed up)

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
The Postal 2 Paradise Lost DLC is coming out tomorrow on Steam and Postal 2 itself is 90% off right now, so it's worth checking out if you're into free roaming FPSs with the late 90s/early 00 design and loads of secrets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptJcEQqEeCk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9qE65Bql24

I recently went back to P2 and despite the fact that it hasn't aged too bad, it's still a pretty fun game overall and doesn't take itself seriously. Speeding through the game without killing anyone is pretty fun too.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I played through Postal 2 a couple of times and... what? Can you actually do a pacifist run? Or is just run past everyone and only kill whatever you need.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

You don't have to kill a single person in the entire game.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
:stare: I'd forgotten Postal 2 existed and for 0.69p It'd be a shame not to add it. :haw:

Did this DLC come out of nowhere, or have I been woefully ignorant this whole time?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Not killing anyone in P2 makes it much better because the shooter gameplay there is pretty crap.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I read Postal 2 as Portal 2 and was incredibly :confused:

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Postal 2 is really bad, and the "shooter" levels it throws from time to time are the worst. I can't even play this dreck "ironically" or just for laughs.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Thyrork posted:

:stare: I'd forgotten Postal 2 existed and for 0.69p It'd be a shame not to add it. :haw:

Did this DLC come out of nowhere, or have I been woefully ignorant this whole time?

It's Postal, so unless you're following the devs or following the game on Steam, you won't know until it's out. So far, I've seen no other gaming site actually publicize this. Considering how bad Postal 3 turned out, they made this DLC to make up for outsourcing P3 to Russians and ending up with a horrible game.

SelenicMartian posted:

Not killing anyone in P2 makes it much better because the shooter gameplay there is pretty crap.

I find myself using the melee system more often than anything else. Tazers are pretty useful.

The super shotgun in P2 on the other hand is pretty much the best shotgun in an FPS since Doom2.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I can't believe they're still beating the now-literally? dead horse of gary coleman in there, too.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Let's not forget that Adrian Chmeliarz and the rest of the Running With Scissors have been ardent supporters of GamerGate for months and have supported the stalking, harassment, et cetera in order to push women and other marginalized groups out of gaming. If you want proof of that, you're welcome to look at his Twitter account approximately whenever.

Don't buy Postal 2, don't support misogynists.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Arivia posted:

Let's not forget that Adrian Chmeliarz and the rest of the Running With Scissors have been ardent supporters of GamerGate for months and have supported the stalking, harassment, et cetera in order to push women and other marginalized groups out of gaming. If you want proof of that, you're welcome to look at his Twitter account approximately whenever.

Don't buy Postal 2, don't support misogynists.

Are you just running down a list of devs to call out for misogyny real or imagined

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The developers who added in a strawman militant feminist antigamer enemy to their game might have a misogynistic streak, who could have guessed?