Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

BraveUlysses posted:

If you can afford an 800k home, you can afford to pay taxes on more of your income. it gives scale to how immense these giveaways are.
Tell that to anyone who wants to live in S.F. or NYC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

So, in good-ish news, I had my big interview with the large mechanical contractor around here. Turns out the guy interviewing me was one of the judges I met at the SkillsUSA contest a few months back, which I had won, so that made feel better.

I basically got the job, just have to wait for them to run an insurance check, piss test, and background check, and I'm good to go. Starting out as a Jr. Mechanic. (AKA Tool carrying bitch.) But the good part is it's easy to move up, I have a glowing recommendation from my instructor, and the guy seems to like me, so should be smooth sailing.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

BraveUlysses posted:

If you can afford an 800k home, you can afford to pay taxes on more of your income. it gives scale to how immense these giveaways are.

Fun fact : Sydney house prices are approaching 800K AVERAGE. There are now suburbs where you cant find anything below a million. Very few people can actually afford that of course but if you want to own a roof, you have to find a way so that means both parents working full time and often also second job part time and still struggling. Moving out to the extreme ends of Sydney (now approaching 100km on the SW corridor) and it's still over 400K, under 300K hardly exists anymore within two hours of Sydney.

And now the Wollongong / Sydney / Newcastle suburban areas are beginning to touch and merge, what was the cheaper "Out of Sydney" areas are going up at a huge rate too. So basically anything within 150kms is ridiclously expensive.

Edit : And there's no real option here either, you want a job, you HAVE to be close to one of the major cities in Australia. There is no such thing as affordable housing even close to any city, even Darwin is going through the roof.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geoj posted:

This is actually what is considered the legal minimum for a signature, at least in the US.

Wow. How useless.

I found this in front of a MCM video today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EOAXrTrsOE

That's awesome.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Got a copy of Rick Wakeman - No Earthly Connection on vinyl at the thrift store earlier. God bless 70s prog rock.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

InitialDave posted:

My vote is for "loving magnets".

I reckon it is via remote control. 2.4GHz doesn't need antennas like old AM/FM receivers/transmitters

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

So, what kind of music is this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDl_BH6cxuw because I really like it. I'm willing to say it's trap, but OMFG, this poo poo is trill as gently caress in my miata.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

BraveUlysses posted:

It is absolutely a handout, and it only further encourages people to buy bigger houses with higher amounts of interest paid, because its all tax deductible. Almost all of the benefits go to households earning over 100k.

I don't make anywhere near 100k, and the amount of the deduction I get on my taxes (as far as total amount owed) due to the mortgage doesn't even come close to offsetting the property taxes that I pay. Not sure how that's a hand-out, its more of a 'switch', where I pay taxes for schools (schools here are funded almost completely through property tax) instead of into the Fed coffers.

If I had to pay the property tax (for me it's about $1800 this year), and not get the federal interest deduction (which shaved about $900 off my federal tax bill this year), it would make it cheaper to rent than to own, which is sort of silly. Actually, it's probably still cheaper to rent (since the rentals were all purchased by rich people when the values were in the toilet during the crash), which, now that I'm thinking about it, is probably more sad than silly.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Oh gently caress yes

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Paid off my school loan yesterday! :toot:
That has got to be a great feeling. Congrats

InitialDave posted:

My vote is for "loving magnets".
AKA loving magic

ExplodingSims posted:

So, in good-ish news, I had my big interview with the large mechanical contractor around here. Turns out the guy interviewing me was one of the judges I met at the SkillsUSA contest a few months back, which I had won, so that made feel better.
Congrats man, that should be a pretty sweet gig.

Yup taking an M car to the mountains Saturday, think I'm going to have a navigator :3: Hope she doesn't get car sick.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Taco Box posted:

So, what kind of music is this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDl_BH6cxuw because I really like it. I'm willing to say it's trap, but OMFG, this poo poo is trill as gently caress in my miata.

It's like house and dubstep had a baby and it's also very good

T-Square
May 14, 2009

So I just saw a Fisker Karma on my way home a few minutes ago, and I just realized: I haven't seen one of those, let alone heard the name Fisker, in at least a year or so. Did they just drop off the face of the earth? Did they get shoved out of the way by Tesla or something?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Lol this is making Rascal howl :3:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

ilkhan posted:

Tell that to anyone who wants to live in S.F. or NYC.

No kidding. How about a "handout" for renters who have to stump up $5K/mo for a family sized house and have no deductions whatsoever.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Cat Terrist posted:

Fun fact : Sydney house prices are approaching 800K AVERAGE. There are now suburbs where you cant find anything below a million. Very few people can actually afford that of course but if you want to own a roof, you have to find a way so that means both parents working full time and often also second job part time and still struggling. Moving out to the extreme ends of Sydney (now approaching 100km on the SW corridor) and it's still over 400K, under 300K hardly exists anymore within two hours of Sydney.

And now the Wollongong / Sydney / Newcastle suburban areas are beginning to touch and merge, what was the cheaper "Out of Sydney" areas are going up at a huge rate too. So basically anything within 150kms is ridiclously expensive.

Edit : And there's no real option here either, you want a job, you HAVE to be close to one of the major cities in Australia. There is no such thing as affordable housing even close to any city, even Darwin is going through the roof.

I'm only about 40 mins out of Adelaide in the hills and just bought 900m2 of land and built a brand new 4 bedroom home on it for under $400K, it's doable, but you have to live in Adelaide to do it...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

T-Square posted:

So I just saw a Fisker Karma on my way home a few minutes ago, and I just realized: I haven't seen one of those, let alone heard the name Fisker, in at least a year or so. Did they just drop off the face of the earth? Did they get shoved out of the way by Tesla or something?

I think after all those cars caught on fire when NYC flooded they pretty much called it quits. I don't think they were selling particularly well to begin with either.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

T-Square posted:

I see two every day when I commute,and they're always together.

Didn't the flood and go bankrupt?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Ferremit posted:

I'm only about 40 mins out of Adelaide in the hills and just bought 900m2 of land and built a brand new 4 bedroom home on it for under $400K, it's doable, but you have to live in Adelaide to do it...

It's just not sustainable. Yes, the reason why property prices are stupid have fundamentally different reasons from elsewhere around the world (Mainly driven by the fact new houses just simply are not being able to be built to meet demand and have not for many years) but something has to break soon, a loving family home over 500K let alone the Million mark is just not something that can work long term. It wont be a huge crater like the US was due to the fundamentals being so different but it will be painful.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

You Am I posted:

I reckon it is via remote control. 2.4GHz doesn't need antennas like old AM/FM receivers/transmitters

I think he's talking about how the "head" balances on top of the rotating sphere, when the sphere can turn/roll in any direction independently of the top, not how it's controlled dude.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Guys, I'm all in. If they call my bluff I want you to know I love you all. I'll see you on the other side.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Oh poo poo, I didn't realize they got their poo poo wrecked by flooding. That'd explain a lot.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

T-Square posted:

Some old dude crashed his fisker into the Ferrari dealership here in san Diego a couple months ago. Drove it right into the corner of the building.

Karma goes both ways I guess.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

Guys, I'm all in. If they call my bluff I want you to know I love you all. I'll see you on the other side.

That wouldn't be too hard, and thats actually pretty reasonably priced

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

Astonishing Wang posted:

Karma goes both ways I guess.
:golfclap:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm getting meat sweats just thinking about this.

E: it's top sirloin...hope you enjoy eating a pound of gristle :barf:

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah top sirloin is tough as hell, your jaw bones will give out before your stomach does.

Unless they marinaded the gently caress out of it to tenderize it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

meatpimp posted:

Yep, and instead of that, we charge students interest rates on their student loans that are fully double what mortgages go for... even though some students owe as much as a house in Student Loans. 'murica. :911:

Even worse in my case, my mortgage is 2.875% (15 year) and my student loans are like 6.5% or something. Fortunately I got out with 'only' about 8k in loans and graduated with a job so I can easily make about triple the minimum payment and will be done with that poo poo in about two more years.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Taco Box posted:

Yeah it's trapish but trap has rolling high hats and 808s out the rear end...

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Galler posted:

Even worse in my case, my mortgage is 2.875% (15 year) and my student loans are like 6.5% or something. Fortunately I got out with 'only' about 8k in loans and graduated with a job so I can easily make about triple the minimum payment and will be done with that poo poo in about two more years.

And, to top if off, you can't refinance Student Loans and you can no longer have them discharged through bankruptcy!

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Somewhere on page 35 someone posted that Netflix's Daredevil was "stupidly good". Gonna have to agree. It gets down right brutal at some points. Holy poo poo bald Vincent D'Onofrio slamming a dude's neck in a car door so many times it decapitates him. :stare:

His character is straight up menacing as gently caress in this show. :ohdear:

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
So a couple of days ago one of the walls in the house dropped by an indeterminate amount, and today at some point the lighting fuse blew. I really hope these aren't related. The wall is kind of concerning too.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
They likely are... I would find that REALLY concerning.

As in, start tearing down plaster to find out why your frame is falling apart behind it. Mine didn't even do that, and the sill beams came out with a gardening trowel...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
LET NOBODY DOUBT MY ABILITY TO CRAM MASSIVE SLABS OF MEAT DOWN MY THROAT

oh god send help i see the light and i can hear angels

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
14" Moments Before:

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
You didn't even finish your sides. Lightweight.

driguy
Feb 16, 2009

In The Pit!

I don't know what this is, but it looks cool as gently caress.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

nm posted:

You didn't even finish your sides. Lightweight.

I tried but they specified it was only required to finish the sirloin and I was starting to have meat tremors

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

I tried but they specified it was only required to finish the sirloin and I was starting to have meat tremors

They don't gove you the steak free. That is some bullshit.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Free shirt, and honestly the meat itself was amazingly soft and tender, no chunks of fat or gristle, flavorful as hell , and cooked and seasoned drat nicely. I wouldnt do it over again but I was actually surprised at how good it was and it only became a struggle for sheer volume. Definitely worth the price just to say I did it.

E: and believe me I have had myself some good, proper cuts of steak. I'm not at all claiming it was better than a properly done new york strip, but considering the size and cut of meat I was presented with it was pretty clear their chefs were as competent as anyone could have possibly managed with it.

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Apr 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

Darchangel posted:

Wow. How useless.

I found this in front of a MCM video today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3EOAXrTrsOE

That's awesome.

Factory GPS was disabled when they lost 5 cars into the nearest lake. Or does the Genesis have a different unit from the Veloster's?

• Locked thread