Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Only numbered games count, not sidestory poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Peace Walker was boring as hell and I gave it multiple chances.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

It was ok then I got to some helicopter boss right after a tank boss and never even bothered to continue because I didn't feel like another boss fight. Skyhooking people loving owns though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

I am foaming at the mouth in rage at this post

edit: I liked Peace Walker if only because it means that MGSV will be guaranteed to have a usable ROCKET PEACE just because Kojima knows people will be mad if he doesn't put it in.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
The bosses in PW are terrible and don't even have cool characters behind them, they're just tanks with a bunch of boring dudes inside

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah it was the helicopter that made me stop.

MGS is known for its kooky goon squads and not having one really killed PW for me.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The boss fights in Peace Walker and the overall grindy nature of it made me not even want to play it but it still did look like a worthy addition to the series, if only for the ridiculous stuff like the Japanese censoring ~tickle rod~ torture and anime girls piloting robot dinosaurs voiced by Hatsune Miku. Some argued that it got TOO wacky but I think it hit the right notes of having absolutely no tonal consistency like MGS usually does.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Adam Bowen posted:

Only numbered games count, not sidestory poo poo.

code veronica though

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

Every resident evil is bad with no exceptions sorry

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I do not like Resident Evil 1 but Resident Evil 2 and 4 are cool.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

peace walker is a great portable game totally worth it to own if you've got a vita or whatever. i imagine it would suck hard if you bought the remaster for consoles without knowing that it was made for bite sized play sessions and had limited environments because it had to fit on a psp.

people complain about the bosses but they are all trivial to clear for the first time if you bring the machine gun and rpg and keep getting ammo refill drops.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Real hurthling! posted:

peace walker is a great portable game totally worth it to own if you've got a vita or whatever. i imagine it would suck hard if you bought the remaster for consoles without knowing that it was made for bite sized play sessions and had limited environments because it had to fit on a psp.

people complain about the bosses but they are all trivial to clear for the first time if you bring the machine gun and rpg and keep getting ammo refill drops.

if you want to do them nonlethal it is literally no fun at all

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I watched someone play Peace Walker and they were literally just killing some big tank thing over and over again to farm for drops. It looked like the worst thing ever

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The basic gist of grinding the bosses is that they have AI cores, which you can yank out of them to steal them and put them in your own Metal Gear. In order to make the best Metal Gear possible you need an absolute shitload of parts, like way way too many for it to stay fun that long. The trouble though is that you can't stay in the AI pod for long before it boots you out, and you can only do it a) at the end of the boss fight by yourself or b) while it's stunned in co-op, which gets boring quickly.

But you don't HAVE to do it, because all of the main AI cores are obtained via the times where you fight the bosses for the plot. It's just that if you don't do it, your Metal Gear will be kinda gimped and the big twist where you have to fight it at the end won't be very fun or climactic if it's just made out of toaster parts. They did make it with the fact that people wouldn't replay those missions in mind, it's just that they emphasize that you still probably should, which is boring.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug
Rising is still the best Metal Gear

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

There's also stuff in PW which you can't get without soldiers who have a specific, random skill. Good luck w/ that

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

CJacobs posted:

it hit the right notes of having absolutely no tonal consistency like MGS usually does.

The story behind that is that Kojima has what could best be called story-scoping problems. He talked about it some after 2 and a lot more since. He'll have one idea and get really into it but then read something and get really into that or watch some movie and get inspired to write some jokes and he'll include them all, trying to build a cohesive game the whole time. It's how he ends up with this somewhat schizo experience that bounces inbetween the horrors of war and magic bee men and otaku who build mechs but also gently caress their moms.

It works well in a Catch 22 sort of way but I agree with whoever said 1 and 3 struck the best balance in tone while keeping the gameplay at the forefront. 2 and 4 sidelined the gameplay too often and occasionally ran off the rails.

bloodychill fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Apr 17, 2015

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

I think we can all agree that Kojima has gigantic balls for pulling poo poo like the protagonist switch in MGS2 in a triple A game that is also a sequel to a previous beloved triple A game knowing full well people are going to be pissed off about it.

I'm not saying that it's smart, however. Part of me thinks it's his way of rebelling against having to make MGS games again and again when he apparently wants to make something else but that might be over analyzing it.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think we can all agree that the most interesting japanese devs take a lot of drugs. Miyamoto loves the 'shrooms, Kojima probably smokes mad weed, and suda51 can't even wake up without 200 micrograms of lab grade LSD

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

precision posted:

I think we can all agree that the most interesting japanese devs take a lot of drugs. Miyamoto loves the 'shrooms, Kojima probably smokes mad weed, and suda51 can't even wake up without 200 micrograms of lab grade LSD

Japanese drug law is super loving crazy draconian so I highly doubt this

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Japanese drug law is crazy draconian cause it has a much bigger cultural taboo than in most Western countries. Plenty of designer drugs there to circumvent that, though.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
I just beat an already relatively hard mini boss in God Hand on level 3/die without dying. God Hand is really loving good and I'm glad I'm not spending 90% of my time on level 1 or 2 this time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Japanese drug law is super loving crazy draconian so I highly doubt this

lotta kids had ecstasy in tokyo, but outside kyoto i stayed with some hippie psych rock people that grew their own shrooms. weed was hard to get in cities but not so hard in the country.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Bicyclops posted:

sure, but then you summon the Magus Sisters and you find that you've smoked everything you have in the house by the time the third sisters arrives, even though you stopped to make lunch and dinner too.

i dont see why this is a bad thing

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Anime Surprise: what game is this?

A Steampunk Gent posted:

The New Order isn't really like old shooters though, or at least not Doom/Quake era run and gun shooters. You still move really slowly, have half your abilities locked behind skill trees, primarily rely on cover to avoid damage and use almost exclusively various flavours of hitscan guns;
All those things may not be like Doom and Quake but they ARE true to Wolfenstein 3D. Well not the skill trees....

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

Wait, are you telling me the Mario guy was on drugs when he made Mario? He was smoking mushrooms and using their power to make a great game about turtles? I can't believe he must have been smoking drug mushrooms when he made Mario, what powers of observation you do possess!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Plus if you think about it, Mega Man X is seriously hosed up. Right? Right? I wonder what drugs they were smoking, probably weed and also like um... pot too!

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
It's Megaman X, so they were smoking robot weed.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Or ro-pot

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

FactsAreUseless posted:

Wait, are you telling me the Mario guy was on drugs when he made Mario? He was smoking mushrooms and using their power to make a great game about turtles? I can't believe he must have been smoking drug mushrooms when he made Mario, what powers of observation you do possess!

Im just glad that these masters of video games were at least only doing the good drugs like "shrroms" "LSD" and "Weed bud"

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Come to think of it TCC goons should make videogames, like how to not wake up your 6 year old daughter during a coke party or preventing your arm from falling off for as long as possible.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Ekster posted:

Come to think of it TCC goons should make videogames, like how to not wake up your 6 year old daughter during a coke party or preventing your arm from falling off for as long as possible.
There's already that area in Dark Souls where you run through the catacombs grabbing undead and trying to get them to take LSD.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I played DK64 for an hour last night and while the camera angles are admittedly very awful, which i had forgotten, it is still v. fun and all of the haters are just mean.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

my straight-edge bros and i are through with nintendo, we are through

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

corn in the bible posted:

my straight-edge bros and i are through with nintendo, we are through
Fugazi do NOT approve of the decidedly UN-super Mario Bros.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

FactsAreUseless posted:

you can't smoke mushrooms, smdh

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

precision posted:

you can't smoke mushrooms, smdh
poo poo! drat! This guy's got the sharp eye of the true observational comic... he doesn't ask about the deal, he freaking tells you!

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

If I wrote a FAQ for Donkey Kong 64, the "special thanks" section would say "Thanks to Nintendo are Rare for making a great game."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hubris.height
Jan 6, 2005

Pork Pro
bespoke artisanal shroom tea

• Locked thread