Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

I couldn't not quote this perfect username post combo, and I agree.

I have traveled a long time with IEMs and before I got my customs I swore up and down by the Shure Black Olive foam tips for both comfort and isolation.

I also use the Shure Black Olives and find them to be excellent!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoke Lee
Dec 31, 2004

chairizard lol
I ended up spending a little more and got a used pair of HD 598's. Love em so far.

Present
Oct 28, 2011

by Shine
What's a good place to get these customs done and how much would it run me approx?

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
Any thoughts on the CEntrance DACport, particularly for use with a set of HD598s? It's on sale for $150 on MassDrop and it looks like a decent bet for a desktop amp/DAC.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Hey, someone else who needs help picking up a new headset.

Budget - $100
Source - Computer
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size, either supa-aural or circumaural. IEMs irritate my ears.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - My parents got me a turtle beach headset a couple years ago which did me pretty good until now. Weren't too hard on the ears and I liked the built in mic.
Preferred Music - Rock and electronic mostly.

I don't really have any requirements beyond it having a mic attached.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Hey, someone else who needs help picking up a new headset.

Budget - $100
Source - Computer
Isolation Requirements - None
Preferred Type of Headphone - Full Size, either supa-aural or circumaural. IEMs irritate my ears.
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced
Past Headphones - My parents got me a turtle beach headset a couple years ago which did me pretty good until now. Weren't too hard on the ears and I liked the built in mic.
Preferred Music - Rock and electronic mostly.

I don't really have any requirements beyond it having a mic attached.

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-350-Performance-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B008O510Y8/

Pretty much the first and only set that comes to mind when you say it has to have a microphone. Prior to that, I was gonna suggest some Sony MDR7506 / MDRv6

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Beyerdynamic MMX 2 is a good choice as well, and a bit less expensive.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tactical Lesbian posted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-350-Performance-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B008O510Y8/

Pretty much the first and only set that comes to mind when you say it has to have a microphone. Prior to that, I was gonna suggest some Sony MDR7506 / MDRv6

Had an extra gift card lying around so I sprung for this. Thanks for the quick replies.

Tactical Lesbian
Mar 31, 2012

Brainamp posted:

Had an extra gift card lying around so I sprung for this. Thanks for the quick replies.

np! Let me know how you like them. :)

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
I'd like some recommendations for a gaming headset please!

Current headphones I have, in order of buying: (most of them for listening to music at work)

* Various in-ear phones, currently Sennheiser CX300II that I use like once a year. Don't like in-ear very much, gets too irritating quite quickly.

* Sennheiser PX-200 I & II: Used these quite a lot, liked them a lot too. I love how they are light and despite being on-ear they hardly leak any noise. But having them pressing on my ears for hours and hours got annoying and I started switching between them and over-ear phones. Nowadays I basically completely switched to over-ear phones.

* Sennheiser HD555: tried these out at work as an alternative to my PX-200, but they leaked way too much. Now I'm using them for my digital piano at home. They don't see a lot of use so I can't comment too much on them.

* Brainwavz HM5: great headphones, except they like to crush my head a little too much. Used them quite a lot at work, switched them out for the M50x.

* ATH-M50x: the current pair I use at work. Pretty great, can't say much about them except that they're my current favorites.

Next, requirements for the gaming headset I want:

* Price: same price range as the others I have? Can be a bit more, but not too too much. Think hundreds, not thousands.
* I'd prefer over-ear. I don't really care about outside noise or leaking.
* Good sound quality for games.
* Good quality microphone.
* Comfortable.
* Compatible with PC and PS4.
* Wireless or wired? Wireless would make it easier to physically move between PC and PS4? But I'd need to switch between PC and PS4 as the audio source too, don't know how that's supposed to work with wireless. Also wouldn't wireless headphones be heavier? The comfort factor would be more important than the wireless convenience factor. (Obviously wireless is a sort of comfort too. Ugh!)
* Ideally they wouldn't use an USB port, the PS4 only has 2 and I need kinda those for my controller and fight stick. Don't want to gently caress around with usb hubs or plugging in different wires all the time.

I have thought about a separate mike, but placement would be too annoying. Can't really use a table thing when sitting on my couch playing my PS4, and I can't use clip-ons because then I'd have to wear clothes all the time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Beyerdynamic MMX 2 or the higher-end (~$400) MMX 300, which is ridonkulously nice and based on high-quality aviation headsets. Both are circumaural closed designs.

They both come with separate 3.5mm plugs for input/output, but headset adapters that adapt them down to a single plug cost almost nothing. I'm 95% sure the Dualshock 4's headset plug is wired the same as an iPhone, so there should be plenty of adapters to choose from. The MMX 2 comes with a USB adapter as well (which can also be bought as an extra for the MMX 300).

I'm sure there will also come a couple of recommendations for similar Sennheiser headsets. You really can't go wrong with those either, but Beyerdynamics tend to be a little less expensive for what you get. I've got the MMX 2 for VoIP stuff and listening to music while at work, and I love them.

Enzenx
Dec 27, 2011
The problem with a headset is that they tend to have compromised quality somewhere and wont be as good as a separate mic/headphone combo could be. In my experience the mics on headsets tend to have lovely sound quality. They work but they aren't marketed towards people who care about sound quality as the primary concern. While I don't have a headphone to recommend I'd say look at getting a modmic and attaching it to a nicer set of headphones. The product description even mentions working directly plugged into a PS4 controller.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Luckily, the magic of Youtube lets us judge for ourselves :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wg_9te84rhE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwhLizVskrQ

As far as the sound quality in the headphones are concerned, I have absolutely no complaints about the MMX 2, they really are excellent and not just for the price.

However, the Modmic allows you to mix and match or use it with your favorite set of headphones you already own, and for that reason it's absolutely worth keeping in mind.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Apr 14, 2015

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Anyone familiar with any of the open ear earphones such as this one - http://www.amazon.com/earHeropro-worlds-first-open-earphone/dp/B007CJWE5Q

I work in an open office environment and it would be nice to use one of those I think. Any opinions?

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

I don't see any American dream; I see an American nightmare.
I have some Mad Dogs I use with a FiiO E12 amp. I'd first like to say that this combo is ear meltingly good. I've heard audiophiles describe strong setups as producing 3D sound, like having a sharp and well defined texture that surrounds you. Another review I read described the sound of the Mad Dogs as 'thick and creamy.' This hits the nail on the head.

Some questions though. First, would you guys recommend unplugging the amp from it's power source before use? I've heard mixed answers to this question. Also, I mostly use my headphones with my computer with a cheap, no frills motherboard. Given my setup, could I buy a sound card that wouldn't break the bank that would improve the sound quality significantly? I'm not planning an upgrade imminently, but if I did want to improve my sound even further, what would my next logical upgrade path for no more than a couple hundred dollars?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

A Bag of Milk posted:

I have some Mad Dogs I use with a FiiO E12 amp. I'd first like to say that this combo is ear meltingly good. I've heard audiophiles describe strong setups as producing 3D sound, like having a sharp and well defined texture that surrounds you. Another review I read described the sound of the Mad Dogs as 'thick and creamy.' This hits the nail on the head.

Especially now that you've read those reviews, right? The power of suggestion is strong. Generally, solid state amps don't really have a sound, they're neutral. The only exception is if the output impedance of your amp is too high for your headphones (or speakers), but that's definitely not the case with the E12.

quote:

Some questions though. First, would you guys recommend unplugging the amp from it's power source before use? I've heard mixed answers to this question. Also, I mostly use my headphones with my computer with a cheap, no frills motherboard. Given my setup, could I buy a sound card that wouldn't break the bank that would improve the sound quality significantly? I'm not planning an upgrade imminently, but if I did want to improve my sound even further, what would my next logical upgrade path for no more than a couple hundred dollars?

Unless the amp is severely misdesigned and/or faulty, unplugging it won't matter. And since it's a FiiO E12, which is known to be good quality, I'm pretty sure I can say with confidence that it won't matter.

Personally, if you're only ever going to use headphones or a stereo setup otherwise, I would seriously consider either a standalone ODAC to plug your E12 into, or the full O2+ODAC setup, if you also want a top-notch headphone amp with more power than you'll ever need. If you're in the US, JDS Labs sells both, with customization options. A USB DAC is generally considered the best option for reducing noise when doing PC audio. Even high-end internal sound cards struggle with all the electrical noise inside the average PC.

I'm using an O2+ODAC from Epiphany Acoustics (because I'm in the EU), and it is completely awesome. It is absolutely noise-free, even on the high gain setting with the volume at 100%, which is something I've never experienced before. And there is more than enough power to deafen you, even with inefficient headphones. Both JDS Labs and Epiphany will do custom gain settings for your headphones, just get in touch with them and tell them what you're using.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Apr 15, 2015

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

uXs posted:

I have thought about a separate mike, but placement would be too annoying. Can't really use a table thing when sitting on my couch playing my PS4, and I can't use clip-ons because then I'd have to wear clothes all the time.
Modmic! I love mine so much. Not being stuck with GAMERZ headphones but still having a quality mic is really perfect.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

evil_bunnY posted:

Modmic! I love mine so much. Not being stuck with GAMERZ headphones but still having a quality mic is really perfect.

Well, with so many glowing goon reviews... One question tho: how does the adhesive hold up? Because that seems like a weak point.

Other issue I would have is that I don't think they would fit on my PX-200 because those just don't seem to have enough surface area. Slightly different than the HM5, there's space for about 50 of them there I think.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

uXs posted:

Well, with so many glowing goon reviews... One question tho: how does the adhesive hold up? Because that seems like a weak point.
I take the mic out pretty often and it's never been an issue. If you have a reasonably flat surface you should be ok.

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

KozmoNaut posted:

Especially now that you've read those reviews, right? The power of suggestion is strong. Generally, solid state amps don't really have a sound, they're neutral. The only exception is if the output impedance of your amp is too high for your headphones (or speakers), but that's definitely not the case with the E12.

Unless the amp is severely misdesigned and/or faulty, unplugging it won't matter. And since it's a FiiO E12, which is known to be good quality, I'm pretty sure I can say with confidence that it won't matter.

Personally, if you're only ever going to use headphones or a stereo setup otherwise, I would seriously consider either a standalone ODAC to plug your E12 into, or the full O2+ODAC setup, if you also want a top-notch headphone amp with more power than you'll ever need. If you're in the US, JDS Labs sells both, with customization options. A USB DAC is generally considered the best option for reducing noise when doing PC audio. Even high-end internal sound cards struggle with all the electrical noise inside the average PC.

I'm using an O2+ODAC from Epiphany Acoustics (because I'm in the EU), and it is completely awesome. It is absolutely noise-free, even on the high gain setting with the volume at 100%, which is something I've never experienced before. And there is more than enough power to deafen you, even with inefficient headphones. Both JDS Labs and Epiphany will do custom gain settings for your headphones, just get in touch with them and tell them what you're using.

Unamped the Mad Dogs only reach about medium volume with all the settings turned up on my computer. The amp brings enough power to the party to really make them shine and helps me pick up a lot of the detail. I didn't mean to imply the amp influences the type of sound.

Perhaps I did fall prey to the power of suggestion while doing research, although in my defense I tried some other mid range headphones that were lavishly praised in reviews that I didn't like nearly as much as the Mad Dogs. The Beyerdynamic DT770 (32 ohm) I tried had such severe sibilance they made the hairs on my neckbeard stand straight out. Good punch, but a bit uneven and lacking some of the rich detail of the Mad Dogs. The Sennheiser HD598s were on the other side of the spectrum for me, delivering a beautiful sound that treated the music with delicacy and reverence instead of chasing the oomph. But I don't want to listen to all my music as if I'm lying in a sun filled meadow, so ultimately they didn't exactly suit me. The Mad Dogs, for me, combine the best characteristics of these two cans with none of the drawbacks (although the 598s admittedly have the larger soundstage for sure).

Anyways, thanks for all the great info.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

So I'm looking to get my sister some real headphones. She sent me a picture of some gold-plated Beats that were like 300-400 dollars and I just cant bring myself to buy them.

Price: $100-200 USD
Supra-aural or circumaural, doesn't matter.
Comfortable.
Listening through iPhone mostly, some computer use

The main thing is that they have to be good looking, borderline flashy. I realize I should just buy what she wants but I was hoping there would be a similar product with better quality and a lower price point. Any suggestions?

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Rurea posted:

So I'm looking to get my sister some real headphones. She sent me a picture of some gold-plated Beats that were like 300-400 dollars and I just cant bring myself to buy them.

Comfortable.

The main thing is that they have to be good looking, borderline flashy. I realize I should just buy what she wants but I was hoping there would be a similar product with better quality and a lower price point. Any suggestions?

Beats Solo 2!

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Midorka posted:

Beats Solo 2!

A Bag of Milk
Jul 3, 2007

Rurea posted:

Comfortable.

You should do some research on V-Moda. The Crossfade LP2 could be a good choice, looks way better than Beats imo but that part is pretty subjective.

absolem
May 21, 2014

The Civil Rights Act of 1964 [is] immoral
insofar as it is coercive towards someone, yes

I am retarded and compassion is overrated.

AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS
AUSTRIANECONOMICS

A Bag of Milk posted:

You should do some research on V-Moda. The Crossfade LP2 could be a good choice, looks way better than Beats imo but that part is pretty subjective.

According to most reviews I've seen and my own experience with the lp2, it doesn't sound that good. The beats solo 2 is actually a very good headphone.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

I've never listened to the Beast Solo 2, but I trust Midorka's opinion on them. You could also look at Sennheiser - the HD 598's, are flashy/gaudy in a V8 Caddy kind of way (if that's her thing) and the Momentums look gorgeous and retro as gently caress. There is also Grado, which I think looks understated but unique enough to stand out. The Skullcandy Aviators look quite nice and are well-received, too. Honestly, though, she probably wants the Beats because of the name recognition.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Midorka posted:

Beats Solo 2!
Gonna have to agree with this. Beats has made pretty good sounding headphones for a few years now.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I appreciate it.

Ochowie
Nov 9, 2007

Midorka posted:

Beats Solo 2!

How are the Beats Solo 2? I've been thinking of getting the wireless version after the Studio's were to tight for my large melon.

Crackerman
Jun 23, 2005

Anyone have an opinion on the Creative Aurvana Live 2?

I’ve got a pair of Denon AHD1100’s that I’m in love with but they’re fragile and I found out Denon discontinued them. I know the original Creative Aurvana Live’s were identical to the Denon AHD1001, which I also had and liked a lot. Is it the same with the Aurvana Live 2 and the 1100?

Either way, any likes/dislikes?

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries
What's the most comfortable circumaural headphones you guys have tried? I'm looking for a closed set in the $100-200 range that'll be used for extended gaming sessions. I've used the Sennheiser 212, Sony MDR-V6, and Logitech G930 and they all made my ears ache after a short time. I must have huge ears because they always rub against the pads while inside the cups. I would honestly trade sound quality for comfort at this point but of course it'd be nice to have both. I've tried a few that were comfortable because they had huge cups but they were all $400+ so that's out.

A couple sets I've been checking out:
Audio Technica ATH-A700 - tried these in a store, the headband wing design was cool
Steelseries Siberia V3 - haven't tried these on but the cups look big and the mic is a good bonus
Bose Quietcomfort - these were actually the most comfortable ones I've ever tried but didn't sound good enough to be $300

Full Circle
Feb 20, 2008

Hikaki posted:

What's the most comfortable circumaural headphones you guys have tried? I'm looking for a closed set in the $100-200 range that'll be used for extended gaming sessions. I've used the Sennheiser 212, Sony MDR-V6, and Logitech G930 and they all made my ears ache after a short time. I must have huge ears because they always rub against the pads while inside the cups. I would honestly trade sound quality for comfort at this point but of course it'd be nice to have both. I've tried a few that were comfortable because they had huge cups but they were all $400+ so that's out.

Audio Technica ATH-A700 - tried these in a store, the headband wing design was cool
Steelseries Siberia V3 - haven't tried these on but the cups look big and the mic is a good bonus
Bose Quietcomfort - these were actually the most comfortable ones I've ever tried but didn't sound good enough to be $300

I found the Beyerdynamics DT-880s exceptionally comfortable even after 8+ hours, though my ears are on the small side. I would imagine the closed DT-770s would be the same in that regard.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Hikaki posted:

I have those steelseries for gaming. They're really comfortable and the mic works great. Unfortunately mine had the right speaker stop working after about nine months and I couldn't get them to replace it under warranty (admittedly I didn't try too hard). They still work well enough that I haven't bothered getting another set, though.

I can't speak to the ATH-A700 but I have a four year old ATH-M50 that are pretty comfortable and still work great.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Full Circle posted:

I found the Beyerdynamics DT-880s exceptionally comfortable even after 8+ hours, though my ears are on the small side. I would imagine the closed DT-770s would be the same in that regard.

Seconded. They are ridiculously comfortable.

Turds in magma
Sep 17, 2007
can i get a transform out of here?
I'm currently using a pair of MEElectronics A161P at work, and in general I like them; comfort, sound, blah blah.
However, i'd like a bit more noise isolation. Am I going to find much more isolation by switching to a good pair of circumaural's? Budget isn't that limited, but I'm not into snake oil.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Turds in magma posted:

I'm currently using a pair of MEElectronics A161P at work, and in general I like them; comfort, sound, blah blah.
However, i'd like a bit more noise isolation. Am I going to find much more isolation by switching to a good pair of circumaural's? Budget isn't that limited, but I'm not into snake oil.

Getting triple flanged tips will increase isolation.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Tactical Lesbian posted:

np! Let me know how you like them. :)

Just reporting that I'm really liking them. Haven't had the bandwidth to play with my friends lately, so I can't speak for how good the microphone is, but headphones are pretty comfortable and the sound quality is nice.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

Selling an Oppo HA-1 like new with all accessories for $1,000 shipped US PM me for details.

Scionic
Sep 24, 2007

Fun Shoe
I've lost my Shure 112 and I'm looking at [url= http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-C...&keywords=shure] Shure SE215 [/url]. I was happy with the sound of the 112, but the ear insert would always pop out of my ear whenever I walked to the bus in the morning.

Does anyone if the SE215 foam stay in the ears while walking around?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Premature
Dec 9, 2014

Shut your eyes, I don't want to get glitter in them.
Buglord

Scionic posted:

I've lost my Shure 112 and I'm looking at [url= http://www.amazon.com/Shure-SE215-C...&keywords=shure] Shure SE215 [/url]. I was happy with the sound of the 112, but the ear insert would always pop out of my ear whenever I walked to the bus in the morning.

Does anyone if the SE215 foam stay in the ears while walking around?

I have a set of SE215 for running, I've never had them fall out even during some pretty quick intervals.