Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Drop a Deuce Ex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Look Sir Droids posted:

Drop a Deuce Ex.

I thought we agreed not to talk about Invisible War anymore

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
More like Deuce Sex because this game is the fuckin' poo poo. :v:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
When you are a kid and google isn't really a thing yet, trying to convince your peers that it isn't pronounced Do Sex is just an exercise in futility. I remember the day I introduced Deus Ex to a friend of mine. I gave it to him for his birthday. I hyped it up, obviously, and so at one point during our sleepover with me, him, and another guy he starts up a new game. Runs around Liberty Island like a tard, ends up spending twenty minutes shooting guards in the rear end with the tranq crossbow and giggling when the green smoke would come out. Then he put the game down and would not revisit it for several more years.

I'm not friends with him anymore. Knowing what I know now, I should have ended it right then and there.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Apr 17, 2015

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Liberty Island destroys friendships.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

More like Deuce Sex because this game is the fuckin' poo poo. :v:

I remember talking about Deus Ex with my mom and she thought the name was "Day of Sex" but didn't ask me about it until I was finished rambling.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

uncleKitchener posted:

Liberty Island destroys friendships.

I will be very surprised if the newly-announced Human Revolution sequel doesn't end with you blowing up the Statue of Liberty.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

jojoinnit posted:

As kids we pronounced Deus to rhyme with loose because we didn't know any better so it works in that way :kiddo:

I remember telling my dad I was playing "Day Of Sex"

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

I remember talking about Deus Ex with my mom and she thought the name was "Day of Sex" but didn't ask me about it until I was finished rambling.

same

dud root
Mar 30, 2008

Look Sir Droids posted:

Drop a Deuce Ex.

I still use this way

Drakonis
Dec 18, 2011

"That will go down among my worst boners."
So, I've stumbled upon Nanomod which appears to be a combination of both Shifter and BioMod aiming to enhance the user interface and gameplay based on what the author feels he should address.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Certain computers require a certain level of skill to hack at all? I mean, I max that poo poo out anyways but that's just a dumb decision. Also now you need weapon mods to approach the same level of skill that you had previously. Making people jump through hoops to get to the same spot they would normally be in a vanilla game doesn't make for fun gameplay in my opinion.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Drakonis posted:

So, I've stumbled upon Nanomod which appears to be a combination of both Shifter and BioMod aiming to enhance the user interface and gameplay based on what the author feels he should address.

This sounds kinda weird considering that BioMod already is based on Shifter iirc?

You know what's cool though? GMDX: http://www.moddb.com/mods/gmdx

Makes the game a fair bit harder - at the very least, the sneaking - but it seems to work really well from what I've played. Swimming isn't an useless skill anymore, tranq darts actually work, and I haven't gotten past Liberty Island yet but I already spotted some neato map improvements, and the AI feels like an actual threat.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Will installing HDTP and new vision reduce performance at all? playing on a crappy 1.4 ghz amd laptop with integrated graphics. :negative:

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

El_Elegante posted:

Replayed this again last month, got to the part in Area 51 where Bob Page encourages you to jump into that massive turbine. I died laughing, then desperately wished there was more of this side of him in the game.

I'm pretty sure I've jumped into that thing and actually made it.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I checked out the GMDX moddb page a while back, but this thread reminded me to actually install it. I already appreciate the aesthetic changes to weapons--something that I always felt was a weak aspect of the game.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
A high level Speed Enhancement aug should let you survive it.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Matty posted:

Will installing HDTP and new vision reduce performance at all? playing on a crappy 1.4 ghz amd laptop with integrated graphics. :negative:

We're talking about a 15 year old game, even with decent textures and models it shouldn't chug too much :v:

I'm playing with both on an eh-ish laptop with 4 year old GPU drivers since I couldn't find newer ones (never buy an Acer) and it works just fine.

Rosoboronexport
Jun 14, 2006

Get in the bath, baby!
Ramrod XTreme

Matty posted:

M.Ciaster posted:

We're talking about a 15 year old game, even with decent textures and models it shouldn't chug too much :v:

As the patron saint of Deus Ex on netbooks/tablets, yes it does. Especially if you are using DX10 renderer with DX10 effects you should be looking at ~20-25 fps or less on 1366x768. If you stick with the DX9 or OpenGL renderer it will run smoothly. This is based on the "original" release of HDTP.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I've always used the upgraded OpenGL renderer for UE1 games, like Deus Ex and UT99, because the DX10 renderer don't seem to have enough advantages over the upgraded OpenGL renderer out there to warrant upgrading.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

closeted republican posted:

I've always used the upgraded OpenGL renderer for UE1 games, like Deus Ex and UT99, because the DX10 renderer don't seem to have enough advantages over the upgraded OpenGL renderer out there to warrant upgrading.
Since Biomod isn't going to be updated anymore, does anyone know how to make a version that un-nerfs the Dragonstooth sword so every strike is just its regular damage like before instead of 3 strikes of 1/3 damage to keep it under the minimum damage required to affect doors?
If I want to destroy doors with it that should be up to me.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

Rosoboronexport posted:

As the patron saint of Deus Ex on netbooks/tablets, yes it does. Especially if you are using DX10 renderer with DX10 effects you should be looking at ~20-25 fps or less on 1366x768. If you stick with the DX9 or OpenGL renderer it will run smoothly. This is based on the "original" release of HDTP.

Yeah I kinda took it for granted that if you're running on a crappy PC like that, you wouldn't even bother with fancy DX10 features.

Matty
Oct 29, 2010
Whew, the deus ex mod scene is alot more complicated than it used to be!

Currently I am downloading new vision and GMDX, (http://genericname112.wix.com/gmdx#!features/cnec) a new mod that i discovered, however that apparently requires new vision so i'm installing that too, though it's most likely a waste since i will be using the dx 9 renderer (not gonna even bother trying to use the dx 10)

I wonder if biomod works with This GMDX mod.

Also another mod popped up on my radar called deus ex revision, (http://www.dx-revision.com/website/) which seems like the holy grail as it incorperates all the best stuff from HDTP, new vision, shifter and Biomod, but it's not been released yet..)

If all this messing around with texture mods doesn't work, i might just run with default deus ex and biomod, just like old times! :cheers:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Matty posted:

I wonder if biomod works with This GMDX mod.

It modifies how weapons and skills work so no, it will be modifying deusex.int and not be compatible with biomod short of manually merging the two (good luck with that).

Matty
Oct 29, 2010

Lemon Curdistan posted:

It modifies how weapons and skills work so no, it will be modifying deusex.int and not be compatible with biomod short of manually merging the two (good luck with that).

Ok, thanks. I think most of the changes are similar anyway, time to test if all these fancy new mods will even run first though!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
GMDX is.. interesting. I mean, I had fun when I was playing it, but it was different enough that some of my old tricks wouldn't work and therefore wouldn't properly trigger nostalgia. And it's really weird to play Deus Ex without the warm feeling of nostalgia nesting cozily in the back of your mind.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

gary oldmans diary posted:

Since Biomod isn't going to be updated anymore, does anyone know how to make a version that un-nerfs the Dragonstooth sword so every strike is just its regular damage like before instead of 3 strikes of 1/3 damage to keep it under the minimum damage required to affect doors?

Also remove the nerf to movement/jump that requires you to put a level into Athletics to get back to the vanilla level. It sucks because they kept adding stuff after that point so if you use an older version of the mod before that change then you miss out on the incendiary grenades that they added later.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
I never really cared for DX mods that change the gameplay. For me, part of the fun of DX comes from all of the bugs you can exploit and ways you can take advantage of the busted game systems. Fixes take away from that.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Dragonstooth being able to hack down doors later in the game wasn't some cheap feature advertised early on to break (a very small part of) the game, either. It was a very fun surprise for people who enjoyed exploring the game's interactivity, went low-tech on a run, and happened to turn on the strength aug just to see or left it on accidentally.
Fun rewards for exploring the map or exploring gameplay aren't glitches and definitely not something you should deny a first-time player.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

That change was made by one of the official patches, not Biomod. I don't even think I've played a version of the game that didn't work that way.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

closeted republican posted:

I never really cared for DX mods that change the gameplay. For me, part of the fun of DX comes from all of the bugs you can exploit and ways you can take advantage of the busted game systems. Fixes take away from that.

In this sense, I feel like Morrowind is a very similar game. There are people who find Morrowind defined by the way it can be so utterly (and quickly) broken and cherish it for this fact; there are people who find a nostalgic value in the game for other reasons, and are perfectly fine modding the gameplay. For example, I'm totally cool modding Morrowind and Deus Ex and still getting a warmth from playing them periodically. Then again, I was never one to really try breaking the games, since I constantly need to feel like I am losing, and lose a significant amount of interest in most games the moment I gain the upper hand.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Lork posted:

That change was made by one of the official patches, not Biomod. I don't even think I've played a version of the game that didn't work that way.
This isn't a blame game. The point of mentioning Biomod is just that it is what would get likely get edited to make a single change like this since Biomod is pretty much the way to play Deus Ex imo. I wouldn't want anyone to do it until you're done with Biomod so I would have the final version I always wanted.

I'm suddenly distracted by Deus Ex: Mankind Divided now, though.

gary oldmans diary fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Apr 20, 2015

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
I tried GMDX but my inventory and UI is all messed up and crumpled, tried pretty much every option.
Is there a good link to download New Vision because it's 2 loving gigs and it downloads a 15k/s on the moddb site.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

tripwood posted:

I tried GMDX but my inventory and UI is all messed up and crumpled, tried pretty much every option.
Is there a good link to download New Vision because it's 2 loving gigs and it downloads a 15k/s on the moddb site.

I was able to get it from here with pretty decent download speeds (700kb/s-1.3mb/s).

http://www.gamefront.com/files/22662867

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

This isn't a blame game. The point of mentioning Biomod is just that it is what would get likely get edited to make a single change like this since Biomod is pretty much the way to play Deus Ex imo. I wouldn't want anyone to do it until you're done with Biomod so I would have the final version I always wanted.

I'm suddenly distracted by Deus Ex: Mankind Divided now, though.
My mistake. Your post seemed to imply that Biomod was responsible for that change, and it looks like I wasn't the only one who was fooled.

Anyway, I remember reading that Shifter fixed some exploit that allowed you to stack things on top of each other in your inventory (never tried it myself), but you could get it back by playing on Unrealistic mode or turning on cheats or something like that. If it was going to be done, that would be the way to do it - an optional "old exploits" mode that you enable in the console or something.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Lork posted:

My mistake. Your post seemed to imply that Biomod was responsible for that change, and it looks like I wasn't the only one who was fooled.

I thought it was Biomod as well. Thats what happens when you go so long without playing Vanilla.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Lork posted:

Anyway, I remember reading that Shifter fixed some exploit that allowed you to stack things on top of each other in your inventory (never tried it myself), but you could get it back by playing on Unrealistic mode or turning on cheats or something like that. If it was going to be done, that would be the way to do it - an optional "old exploits" mode that you enable in the console or something.
Huh? I was talking about the Dragon's Tooth attack change from 1 hit of 100 to 5 simultaneous hits of 20 to put it below the minimum attack strength required to damage doors and other stuff.

Lork
Oct 15, 2007
Sticks to clorf

Huh? I was talking about the Dragon's Tooth attack change from 1 hit of 100 to 5 simultaneous hits of 20 to put it below the minimum attack strength required to damage doors and other stuff.
Yes, and I provided an example of how Shifter handled a similar exploit.

Lork fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Apr 22, 2015

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
Unrealistic mode might be a good place for it if if everyone wanted to try it that way.
Really not any kind of exploit, though. Just part of the original vanilla gameplay I played many, many times and then later someone decided they didn't like it that way based on their opinions of game difficulty (for someone who might go into the game already having a plan for a Dragon's Tooth build, not for a blind first run), not on something like a circumvention of game rules by UI manipulation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hard Clumping
Mar 19, 2008

Y'ALL BREADY
FOR THIS
Can we all just have a moment of group nostalgia for just how charmingly terrible the assault rifle in DX1 is, in both looks and handling. I just realized that all of my playthroughs I have a moment where I see it for the first time and say "hahahahah No"