Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

angry armadillo posted:

Yes. I thought about her main issue, emailed the other IT managers, got them to agree we should make a change that will resolve her point

Actually yes, I know her well enough to have a sensible conversation and as per above the main issue is now resolved so my point will be why that was raised in a senior manager interview when I resolved it in an hour I am slightly concerned at our companies hiring practices.

I wont say it that plainly obviously.

Was said change that this HR manager is no longer employed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Sefal posted:

Had a meeting with a company that's interested in me. It will be my 1st real IT job. Meeting went really well. at one point they asked me what i think i'd make. I said I presume a starters salary. they pushed for a number. I tried redirecting saying what they give starters. That didn't work. I gave out a number that was just a little bit too high (2000/a month after taxes). They immediately were like uhh i'm not sure thats a starters salary. then |I caved in, said what i truly expect to make. which is about 2000 before taxes.

Did I gently caress up?

The company looks awesome to work for. good work benefits. Car from the business.

Not sure what you're doing but $2000 a month before taxes for a full time job is pitiful, depending on the position I think you could do way better.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

KillHour posted:

Was said change that this HR manager is no longer employed?

no she's ok, she just really doesn't like how our junk filter works

We have to block loads of outgoing email because of various policy. We have to manually release loads of emails daily - there is no agreed SLA/OLA but it's just accepted we will release your email within a couple of hours but we wont reply. I also gave her the tip that if you use plain text it helps because we block all outgoing images and that's 99% of the issue...

A couple of months ago this particular HR manager sent us all an email whinging that her email didnt get released at 7pm but it was urgent and needed to go there and then.

I took it upon myself to reply on behalf of everyone and point out we dont work out of hours, we generally dont reply but if you ask for a reply specifically in urgent situations I certainly would be courteous enough to give you one, I'm sure the other will to (I doubt it but I said it anyway, I think customer service is important in an issue like this but at the time I had a boss who should have been thinking I need to agree an SLA with the business here but not the point...)

after my interview I asked around as to why we dont just change the system so it automatically tells the user when we press the release button making this point moot - apparently when there was less IT staff we used to get complaints if it took to long.

so I twisted the other IT manager's arms to turn it on today. Ultimately it's a really trivial issue, it improves user satisfaction and we should be accountable for our actions especially whilst we lack an formal SLA I think.

Never mind that it displays to this hiring HR Manager that I have clout among my (current) peers and respect for the users wishes whilst she ponders who to hire. :)

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

My testing of this one is a bit suspect so far, get hacked or break things is the best choice.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We had long ago had to disable Kernel cache due to another obscure bug, so I guess we already implemented the workaround! Yay!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Response on a security mailing list at my org to the bug:

quote:

I disabled http.sys on a machine (even deleted the binary) - and reboted. And the basic stuff works (Remote desktop, file sharing, IE etc).

I don't know why Microsoft doesn't include that in the workarounds.
I suspect, once this patch has been out for a bit, there will be another vulnerability found (in http.sys).

:what:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

"I disabled http.sys on a machine (even deleted the binary)"

:stare:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This is a man, who, I poo poo you not, wrote basically his own psuedo SCCM/AppV replacement. When you launch a program on one of his computers, it downloads "something" from a server, unpacks it, and executes it. It then gets cleared on logout, so if you logout every day like a good worker drone and also use any kind of heavy application you're waiting for this silly download/unpack process every morning.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

FISHMANPET posted:

This is a man, who, I poo poo you not, wrote basically his own psuedo SCCM/AppV replacement. When you launch a program on one of his computers, it downloads "something" from a server, unpacks it, and executes it. It then gets cleared on logout, so if you logout every day like a good worker drone and also use any kind of heavy application you're waiting for this silly download/unpack process every morning.

When I was first getting started in IT, I was in awe of people who could do poo poo like this. Now I've come to realize they're basically doing negative work. Instead of just buying the off-the-shelf product (or hell, using a free OSS tool) and moving on with your life, you've decided to use company time to play developer and roll your own hacked up piece of poo poo that kind-of does the same job half as well. Then it's sucked up your salary full time for 6 months to implement and support, still has a bunch of weird bugs, and once you leave the company no one will understand it or continue to use it. Great job :golfclap:

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

Docjowles posted:

When I was first getting started in IT, I was in awe of people who could do poo poo like this. Now I've come to realize they're basically doing negative work. Instead of just buying the off-the-shelf product (or hell, using a free OSS tool) and moving on with your life, you've decided to use company time to play developer and roll your own hacked up piece of poo poo that kind-of does the same job half as well. Then it's sucked up your salary full time for 6 months to implement and support, still has a bunch of weird bugs, and once you leave the company no one will understand it or continue to use it. Great job :golfclap:

This is exactly how I've come to view these idiots, and I've also noticed a lot of them are free-software libtards, as the Register puts it. Anything Microsoft is automatically bad and sucks, and they'd rather try to hack together a Xen or KVM deployment than consider vSphere. (I may be slightly talking out of my rear end here, but as far as I know the management tools for Xen & KVM, other than what AWS has, don't compare to vCenter).

One of our clients essentially paid a fast-talking developer over a million dollars spread over 5-6 years to create the end-all be-all of systems to run a business (this company is a construction company, don't ask me why they thought they had any business developing software). Their aim was that not only would they use this system to run their business, they would sell it to other construction companies to run THEIR businesses. :wtf:

This developer was a total Mac zealot, to the point of yelling at our network admin (the only one of us who uses Linux as his desktop) that he was a Microsoft tool for daring to suggest that Exchange was the best option for mail servers. He also insisted on using Xserves to host this magical system, wanted the company to switch to Open Directory (this is back at the time of Leopard and Snow Leopard), and spent all his time trying to pin any problems with his system on us and "the network". And at the end of all this time and money, our client got a web-based thing hosted on two Xserves (technically one - the other was a hot backup, supposedly), that had about 20% of the functionality of Sharepoint, the free edition. And I mean, not that I wish Sharepoint on anyone, but what the gently caress.

Luckily seems like our client finally came to their senses and fired the guy, although the system is still vaguely in use for random purposes like new hire documentation (which could be easily put on the wiki instance that we've had running there for years). One Xserve has died, or at least is frozen at the booting screen, and we're kind of just waiting/hoping for the other one to croak.

Reinventing the wheel is fine for labs or exploration on your own time. Doing it in your job is amazingly stupid and people who claim themselves to be geniuses just because they wrote something that already exists are usually just egotistical idiots who think they can do it better than a team of developers/QA people. Don't get me wrong, if that dev/QA team works at Symantec then fine any idiot can write something better, but generally speaking I'll take the development team over some self-described guru.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

psydude posted:

Arista switches: good? They're substantially cheaper than Cisco for 10g access/distribution layer applications.

We have them in our production network, but it's all managed by the hosting company so I've never actually touched them. As far as I know we've never had any issues in our switching layer though :shrug:

As for the http.sys patch, we've applied it across our production network without much drama, what issues are people experiencing?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Potato Alley posted:

This is exactly how I've come to view these idiots, and I've also noticed a lot of them are free-software libtards, as the Register puts it. Anything Microsoft is automatically bad and sucks, and they'd rather try to hack together a Xen or KVM deployment than consider vSphere. (I may be slightly talking out of my rear end here, but as far as I know the management tools for Xen & KVM, other than what AWS has, don't compare to vCenter).
You may want to stop reading the register. Free software is sometimes the best tool, sometimes not. You may also want to learn a lot more about virtualization solutions. And AWS. And open/free software. You're talking out of your rear end a lot more than slightly.

KVM is a kernel module. Xen is a supervising kernel. Xen has tools that almost nobody uses. KVM is just an accelerator for qemu on steroids. Almost nothing uses plain qemu. Both xen and KVM get the vast majority of their interaction through libvirt.

XenServer and RHEV (for xen and KVM) are products like vSphere. VMkernel is the equivalent to KVM. Not vCenter. Xen Cloud Platform and oVirt are the free versions of these (ovirt is actually upstream for rhev, xcp is just very similar to XenServer). Both are surprisingly comparable to vCenter, missing out on stuff like FT (nobody uses it anyway) and VAAI (proprietary). That changes when you add on a zillion vProducts, but for the "vCenter+hosts" use case, you'd find them very similar.

AWS is in such a different class you can't even compare it to vCenter in any meaningful way until/if VMware gets their poo poo together with vCloud and/or their openstack integration. You can compare it to openstack and eucalyptus, though.

Potato Alley posted:

This developer was a total Mac zealot, to the point of yelling at our network admin (the only one of us who uses Linux as his desktop) that he was a Microsoft tool for daring to suggest that Exchange was the best option for mail servers. He also insisted on using Xserves to host this magical system, wanted the company to switch to Open Directory (this is back at the time of Leopard and Snow Leopard), and spent all his time trying to pin any problems with his system on us and "the network". And at the end of all this time and money, our client got a web-based thing hosted on two Xserves (technically one - the other was a hot backup, supposedly), that had about 20% of the functionality of Sharepoint, the free edition. And I mean, not that I wish Sharepoint on anyone, but what the gently caress.

Luckily seems like our client finally came to their senses and fired the guy, although the system is still vaguely in use for random purposes like new hire documentation (which could be easily put on the wiki instance that we've had running there for years). One Xserve has died, or at least is frozen at the booting screen, and we're kind of just waiting/hoping for the other one to croak.
FYI, we in the open source world also think these people are idiots. That's not a " $someos zealot" problem. He wanted to use the tools he thought he knew the best and nobody pushed back hard enough or ate the cost of his contract to get something sustainable which fit with the infrastructure and requirements at your workplace. When they did, they thought they could polish a turd or salvage something instead of just totally writing it off. Both sides failed badly, not just him.

Potato Alley posted:

Reinventing the wheel is fine for labs or exploration on your own time. Doing it in your job is amazingly stupid and people who claim themselves to be geniuses just because they wrote something that already exists are usually just egotistical idiots who think they can do it better than a team of developers/QA people. Don't get me wrong, if that dev/QA team works at Symantec then fine any idiot can write something better, but generally speaking I'll take the development team over some self-described guru.
The development team is often the problem, or one guy. Or the admin team. The problem is that people don't know what's out there, how other people solve it, and what their options are. I honestly see this less with *nix admins. Maybe because their teams are much smaller on average and they're supporting more servers per admin. Or they're more multidisciplinary than Windows admins because they're expected to know how to code more than a little bit. Or because years of fighting and tinkering with the OS have put them in compromising situations they've needed to figure out. Or because it's glued together and there's no nice products for stuff without tying together 5 programs yourself. I don't know.

But last time I saw a team re-invent network imaging, it was Windows. And last time I saw a team re-invent display forwarding, it was Windows. And last time I saw...

Stupid people are not limited to one OS

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

NZAmoeba posted:

As for the http.sys patch, we've applied it across our production network without much drama, what issues are people experiencing?

Nothing post-patch for me.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

We say we're a windows shop since our stack for our main product is IIS/.NET/SQL, but the reality is, we use whatever is best for the job at hand. We have mongodb servers running on CentOS, as does our memcache servers. Our support system also runs on Apache/PHP/MySQL. We even have a group of webservers for 'lite' content (read simple sites that we don't need full devs working on) that are running Apache/PHP.

If a piece of software we want to use runs better and is better supported on linux than windows, then we run it on linux. Vice versa as well.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
What is an Executive IT Desktop Support position? Is that just a C-level bitch? That doesn't sound like an improvement over hell desk.

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

Executive Assistant, but for things that plug in.

I'm looking at job descriptions with that title and they are all over the map. Some sound like general IT Ops, some sound like I described above (c-level bitch like you said), some sound like fancier names for help desk. Most of them sound like a helpdesk/IT generalist that will mainly be working for C-Level/VP level people. (Which are typically (not always, but typically!) the worst people to deal with in the whole co.

:suicide: I imagine a lot of "This my home laptop, I have no loving clue what my kid did to it, but can you take a look" :suicide:

metavisual fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Apr 16, 2015

sanchez
Feb 26, 2003

ElGroucho posted:

What is an Executive IT Desktop Support position? Is that just a C-level bitch? That doesn't sound like an improvement over hell desk.

It sounds like a recipe for being on call 24/7, although I'm positive larger companies have a special number and team for IT support for employees above a certain pay grade, there's no way the CEO (or their assistant) calls an outsourced Tier 0.5 number. Maybe that wouldn't be so bad, you'd have an unlimited budget.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The amount of times WHITE GLOVE gets mentioned in those types of postings makes me feel dizzy.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Inspector_666 posted:

The amount of times WHITE GLOVE gets mentioned in those types of postings makes me feel dizzy.

Are you allergic to being a servant or something

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The way I phrase it is "service, not servitude."

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
they don't own you, just leasing!

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

evol262 posted:

But last time I saw a team re-invent network imaging, it was Windows. And last time I saw a team re-invent display forwarding, it was Windows. And last time I saw...

Stupid people are not limited to one OS

My boss at my last job assumed I was going to deploy the vCenter database on an Oracle DB because he was nervous about MSSQL or something. But that was a Solaris shop where everything was Solaris (they started moving to Linux in the year before I left) regardless of how lovely it performed. A lot of standard OSS stuff just isn't written against Solaris so out of the box yeah it works, but performance sucks. The amount of hardware we through at simple things when we could have just thrown Linux at it instead were mind boggling.

But yeah devotion to an OS is weird and bad, computers are a tool, use the best tool for the job. Another boss from that last job didn't really understand that computers are tools, I think he viewed them all on some 1 dimensional scale from worse to better. He made weird hardware purchases.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Inspector_666 posted:

I interviewed for a hedge fund where they wanted a mid level admin/engineer for their small environment (~5 servers and a NAS) that was also to give 'white glove' service to the VIP's. I couldn't run fast enough from there. The smug lead engineer asked me what some acronym was and I didn't know off the top of my head. He chided me and started saying I should know that 'if I were move into the big time with 50 users and 1TB of network storage.'

I replied "I am sorry I don't know every acronym off the top of my head. What I can tell you is that I manage a 1500 user Active Directory with around 125TB of storage, which is comprised of both FERPA and HIPAA data. Not to mention that I have 6TB of network storage at home in my lab. I am sure I could handle your environment given the chance.'

gently caress these people that want 'white glove' service from engineers because they have more experience than most help desk people. I don't deal with desktops much anymore so it's not like I can come in there and know everything.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

mayodreams posted:

He chided me and started saying I should know that 'if I were move into the big time with 50 users and 1TB of network storage.'

The mind boggles

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
neither I or my guys are babysitting grown loving adults for any amount of money

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Dick Trauma posted:

The way I phrase it is "service, not servitude."

Yeah if I were tasked with providing ~~white glove service~~ I'd be looking to get the gently caress out pretty quickly. Maybe I'm wildly off base but it seems kind of overtly offensive, implying that you're a servant and just there to do someone's bidding.

FISHMANPET posted:

But yeah devotion to an OS is weird and bad, computers are a tool, use the best tool for the job. Another boss from that last job didn't really understand that computers are tools, I think he viewed them all on some 1 dimensional scale from worse to better. He made weird hardware purchases.

I remember zealously extolling the superiority of Windows on x86 over all other OS/hardware combos. Then I graduated from middle school.

...though to be fair, at that time OS X didn't exist and Linux probably still kind of sucked as a server OS, let alone on the desktop. So my completely uninformed views may have been unintentionally correct! :colbert:

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Docjowles posted:

I remember zealously extolling the superiority of Windows on x86 over all other OS/hardware combos. Then I graduated from middle school.

...though to be fair, at that time OS X didn't exist and Linux probably still kind of sucked as a server OS, let alone on the desktop. So my completely uninformed views may have been unintentionally correct! :colbert:

spiny
May 20, 2004

round and round and round

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

am i doing this right

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

mayodreams posted:

I interviewed for a hedge fund where they wanted a mid level admin/engineer for their small environment (~5 servers and a NAS) that was also to give 'white glove' service to the VIP's. I couldn't run fast enough from there. The smug lead engineer asked me what some acronym was and I didn't know off the top of my head. He chided me and started saying I should know that 'if I were move into the big time with 50 users and 1TB of network storage.'

I replied "I am sorry I don't know every acronym off the top of my head. What I can tell you is that I manage a 1500 user Active Directory with around 125TB of storage, which is comprised of both FERPA and HIPAA data. Not to mention that I have 6TB of network storage at home in my lab. I am sure I could handle your environment given the chance.'

gently caress these people that want 'white glove' service from engineers because they have more experience than most help desk people. I don't deal with desktops much anymore so it's not like I can come in there and know everything.
Hedge fund environments are all really weird and full of really weird people. I interviewed with a pretty big boutique trading company a few years back and their culture was like, "yeah, none of the traders leave for lunch, so IT leaving for lunch is kind of frowned upon."

J
Jun 10, 2001

Misogynist posted:

Hedge fund environments are all really weird and full of really weird people. I interviewed with a pretty big boutique trading company a few years back and their culture was like, "yeah, none of the traders leave for lunch, so IT leaving for lunch is kind of frowned upon."

You don't have to leave for lunch when you can just call up your white glove service lackey to bring it to you. :haw:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Docjowles posted:

am i doing this right

No. :colbert:

SSH IT ZOMBIE
Apr 19, 2003
No more blinkies! Yay!
College Slice
Hrm. I received an email from a healthcare system, they want me for consulting. I already am a full time employee elsewhere, and the thing they want me to consult on usually is a collaborative thing that needs to happen during business hours. About to call them back. Not sure that it will work out but can at least get some details.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Docjowles posted:

am i doing this right

Mach. Netinfo. :suicide:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

evol262 posted:

Mach. Netinfo. :suicide:

God drat I loved BeOS so much.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

The source of many nightmares :smith:

evol262 posted:

The development team is often the problem, or one guy. Or the admin team. The problem is that people don't know what's out there, how other people solve it, and what their options are.

This is the worst part working for major IT Company - Microsoft, IBM, Google, Apple, etc... So many people have never touched any competing product and falsely think that the alternatives are weird. More than nine times they're not weird they're just as good but different.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Apr 17, 2015

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

This is the worst part working for major IT Company - Microsoft, IBM, Google, Apple, etc... So many people have never touched any competing product and falsely think that the alternatives are weird. More than nine times they're not weird they're just as good but different.
I love when you ask an inside sales guy from someplace like, HP, to differentiate their product from their competitors, and all they can come up with is something like, "Ours is simply better." They have no concept of the idea of competition.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

adorai posted:

I love when you ask an inside sales guy from someplace like, HP, to differentiate their product from their competitors, and all they can come up with is something like, "Ours is simply better." They have no concept of the idea of competition.

Interesting,

I'm not a sales guy but a few months back I took IBM Power Sales training and it went thoroughly through all the competitors - HP-Itanium, SUN-Sparc, Fujitsu and Intel X86.

Granted, it's Power is IBM's baby but I was pretty impressed.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tab8715 posted:

The source of many nightmares :smith:

Dude. My agency's entire upgrade path for everything ever hinges directly on the question "Can we make it work with our 3270s?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Toshimo posted:

Dude. My agency's entire upgrade path for everything ever hinges directly on the question "Can we make it work with our 3270s?"

Wait, are you actually screen scraping? Just use a ODBC Connection.