Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The best part of this is that it is dead wrong about Theros, which is packed full of references to Greek myth. Also Tarkir was amazing in every possible way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
IDK, the idea of an Oathless non-evil Pally sounds pretty cool to me. Like Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider, Manji from Blade of the Immortal or Jin from Samurai Champloo.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Lottery of Babylon posted:

Magic was made by Richard Garfield to have fun with his university friends many years ago. Wizards turned it into a business which is fine and understandable. Mark Rosewater came and turned it into a parasite where children don't have enough money to go bowling or take girls on dates cause they spend $50 on a single land so they can keep up with their friends decks.

I really want this guy to walk me back to the magical time when kids didn't have to spend big chunks of their income to craft competitive Magic decks. As a kid in the Revised era, I was spending frightening amounts of money to craft non-competitive decks!

drat you, entitled whippersnappers of the MaRo era, and your improved playtesting and balance! Back in my day, we bought boosters for sets that were mostly if not entirely unplayable garbage, and we LIKED it!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Antivehicular posted:

I really want this guy to walk me back to the magical time when kids didn't have to spend big chunks of their income to craft competitive Magic decks. As a kid in the Revised era, I was spending frightening amounts of money to craft non-competitive decks!

drat you, entitled whippersnappers of the MaRo era, and your improved playtesting and balance! Back in my day, we bought boosters for sets that were mostly if not entirely unplayable garbage, and we LIKED it!

With an added touch of MY FANFICS:cry:

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib
oh he did not talk poo poo about Lightning Thief

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

FMguru posted:

Magic used to be about the stories, man!

Magic had storylines? I thought it was just "I'm a wizard, you're a wizard, let's summon monsters and kill each other with them".

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FrostyPox posted:

Magic had storylines? I thought it was just "I'm a wizard, you're a wizard, let's summon monsters and kill each other with them".

Uh, you should watch this old magic ad chock full of story.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

Uh, you should watch this old magic ad chock full of story.

I can't imagine why WotC stopped making these videos.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

FrostyPox posted:

Magic started to have a storyline, sort of, during Antiquities. It barely meant anything at all until...I want to say the start of the Weatherlight stuff, which is when actual story became more of a thing.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

FrostyPox posted:

I can't imagine why WotC stopped making these videos.

That's because they started catering the cool crowd instead.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

That's because they started catering the cool crowd instead.

Man, the 90s were an amazing, strange time.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Man, I should tell the guys at my local card shop that when we did release drafts of each of the new Tarkir blocks when hey came out and finished each round in under a half hour we were apparently playing wrong.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

palecur posted:

oh he did not talk poo poo about Lightning Thief
To be fair he probably only knows of the movie, which was pretty bad.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

FrostyPox posted:

Man, the 90s were an amazing, strange time.

pre-9/11 America was loving magical and I would give anything to go back.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I just...

------
Thief/rogues, a character class that should not be?

I'm not saying they're overpowered or something like that, I question the morality of this class.

I mean seriously, why would thieves be a core class along side soldiers and intellectuals? And really, who would want to go on any sort of trip with a guy who's likely to rob you? And that's the best case scenario: he could just sneak attack you and walk off with all your belongings, leaving you to rot in the middle of nowhere.

I mean, in all seriousness why would you have a class that is by its very definition a criminal? Yeah okay, adventurers tend to be racist and essentially genocidal, but at least they aren't a problem to their own society.

They kind of fixed this with rogues, and not just with the re-naming. You don't have to be a pick-pocket if you so choose. But it seems that the only reason to bring one along is to deal with traps. And they still reak of 'criminal', despite the fact that they can be any alignment.

Why do I have such thoughts? Well, I was reading up on stuff about the Kender (I'm only really familiar with the Forgotten Realms, just so we know), and everywhere I see criticism of them being kleptomaniacs. Also a lot of criticism of them (and halflings) being infantile, but that's not relevant here. But I do agree, why would anyone tolerate a race of kleptomaniacs? It makes no sense. I certainly wouldn't see a miniature and somewhat immature thief as cute.

Not that I'm trying to troll, but I honestly don't see why this is a core class. It seems more like something you would see in the supplements that detailed the assassin and blackguard class. And playing on that NWN server, most people played their rogues as either thieves or assassins (though strangely enough, few were evil, though most were chaotic neutral). I mean, at the very best they're grave-robbers and spies.

Why is it that one of the classes by its very nature has to be either selfish or evil? Unless you go with a robin-hood character, I don't see anyway you could be good (and even that is questionable, I don't recall hearing anything about robin hood stabbing people in the back). I mean seriously, what kind of a decent person would have a skill set like this??? The things you excel in are lockpicking, sneaking around, disabling people's defenses, and stabbing people in the back. Oh, and you can also be a pick-pocket.

Is there anyway to play a rogue that isn't an obviously atrocious individual? I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but I don't understand why this class is one of the standard options. Clerics make sense, druids make sense, fighters, monks, wizards. Yeah, sorcereres and barbarians are iffy, but sorcerers is more just the stereotype that having a high charisma means your character is arrogant. And just because you prefer brute force in combat doesn't mean you're evil, its just a different tactic. And besides, barbarians don't have to be stupid. I mean Conan himself was fairly clever, and just because you like brute force doesn't mean you can't be good at other things, like smithing or riding or whatnot. Honestly, you think about it intelligence is kind of a dump-stat, since really the only characters that have high intelligence are wizards, for everyone else its only above charisma on the priority list (unless you're a paladin or sorcerer or bard or something else that relies on charisma). Heh, you think about it there's actually more classes that rely on charisma than there are for intelligence! But that's kind of a tangent...perhaps something for another thread.

-=-=-=-=-=-

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Why would you want a criminal to help with your deranged archaeo-heist/mercenary job/revolution?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

"Soldiers and intellectuals." Amazing.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Soldiers, of course, are famously law-abiding and polite, and intellectuals never get involved in anything that's not totally above-board.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Antivehicular posted:

As someone who lived and played through the era of utter terror that was The Dark through... let's be charitable and say Visions, it blows my mind that anybody would be complaining about the newer sets having actual playable cards in them. I remember Homelands release day and tearing through two boxes with a friend and trying to talk ourselves into Forget or Headstone or something.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I wasn't going to post this until I was hit by the killer combo of, "I only know Forgotten Realms," and holding up Conan as a moral standard.

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
I like how racism and genocide are totally acceptable but thieves are right out.

gtrmp
Sep 29, 2008

Oba-Ma... Oba-Ma! Oba-Ma, aasha deh!

Finnankainen posted:

I like how racism and genocide are totally acceptable but thieves are right out.

Well, you see, theft is different because it's a thing that might plausibly happen to me, a white man.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I also like how he is literally only capable of thinking about it one way. "Rogues are thieves and criminals. There's absolutely no other way to play them. They couldn't be, say military recon, or special forces, or sanctioned assassins (without actually taking into account the Assassin class, I suppose)." Pretty typical for a lot of grog, it seems.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
The number of gamers who have been in the hobby for years or even decades that I have introduced to the idea that "class and concept are not synonymous" is loving bewildering.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
The actual funniest thing is that he immediately assumes any and all players will attack their companions for no reasons because either he's extremely paranoid, has only ever played with dicks, or because that's exactly what he would do.

The Sin of Onan
Oct 11, 2012

And below,
watched by eyes of steel
we dreamt
Even if you take class and concept as synonymous, and even if you accept his apparent belief that only moral people make viable RPG characters, there's still plenty of ways that someone can learn a thief's set of skills and still be a moral person.

You grew up as an orphan on the mean streets of [insert fantasy metropolis here], looking after your little siblings after your poor parents died of [war, plague, industrial accidents, rampaging monsters, etc]. There was no work, so you had to feed your family by turning to theft, stealing bread from the merchants' stalls behind their backs, picking the pockets of the occasional rich-looking person who wandered into the market district, learning to pick the locks of abandoned warehouses or break into derelict old buildings just so your brothers and sisters had somewhere to sleep out of the rain.

Boom. Done. Moral thief character.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

I also like how he's like "at best they'd be grave-robbers and spies". Because, well.... 1.) those two things are very, very different, and 2.) a spy could probably be a super-useful thing to have as an adventuring party going into unknown and potentially dangerous territory, and 3.)In your typical bog-standard unimaginative murder-hobo simulation, which seem to be the thing grogs love, all the characters are basically loving graverobbers!

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That's hardly fair! You don't dig graves for orcs.

Gambor
Oct 24, 2005
No, you go into tombs and crypts and "find treasure".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

FrostyPox posted:

I also like how he's like "at best they'd be grave-robbers and spies". Because, well.... 1.) those two things are very, very different, and 2.) a spy could probably be a super-useful thing to have as an adventuring party going into unknown and potentially dangerous territory, and 3.)In your typical bog-standard unimaginative murder-hobo simulation, which seem to be the thing grogs love, all the characters are basically loving graverobbers!

Spies also aren't an inherently amoral or immoral profession. Hasn't he ever heard of the CIA James Bond?

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.
Dungeon World Is a Game to Skip

There's a lot going on here, but here's a sample:

quote:

The Language Is Obtuse

Learning a new roleplaying game is difficult, especially if you have no one to teach you. With that in mind, rule books should endeavor to be as neophyte friendly as possible. Instead, Dungeon World bombards the reader with several confusing terms that are mostly new ways to describe old ideas.

The most blatant offender is “+1 Forward.” This also comes in variations like “+2 Forward,” or “-1 Forward.” It indicates a bonus or penalty to a character’s next roll. It’s unclear why a brand new term was needed for this relatively simple concept. It takes up less space than “the character gets +1 to their next roll,” or something similar, but it also sends new players scrambling back to the index at a time when they are least comfortable with the rules. There are other confusing terms like “1 Hold” and “+1 Ongoing,” and they cause the same problem, making it harder to learn and remember the rules. There’s value in developing shorthand, but in this case it isn’t worth the effort.

Far worse is the concept of a “Move.” Many things in the game are expressed through Moves, from the fighter swinging their sword to the bard talking down an angry bartender. Monsters and the GM have Moves as well, except they employ completely different mechanics.

For example, a wizard casting magic missiles uses the Cast Spells Move. The player rolls dice to see if there is a success or failure. However, when a monster performs a Move, no dice are rolled unless that move results in damage. For monsters, Moves are often general descriptions of behavior rather than mechanical rules. The book doesn’t make this distinction clear, which leads to a lot of confusion when the GM is trying to figure out how their beloved Rust Monster works.
Rather than being run of the mill grog, this is from someone who understands Burning Wheel.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Guilty Spork posted:

Dungeon World Is a Game to Skip

There's a lot going on here, but here's a sample:

Rather than being run of the mill grog, this is from someone who understands Burning Wheel.

He's right though, DW leans on more jargon than other games.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Compared to D and motherfucking D???

What?!!?!

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

D&D's jargon is the default, therefore other jargon is obtuse pretension.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

He's right though, DW leans on more jargon than other games.

Oh Plutonis!
*Audience laugh track*

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Xiahou Dun posted:

Compared to D and motherfucking D???

What?!!?!

D&D says "until end of next turn".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Are you actually gonna make me list retarded D&D terms or are you just that shot sighted?

DW doesn't even have AC.

Also that's not what Forward means.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

AC means armor class. It is easy enough for a retard to understand, if that is what you mean by retarded. Meanwhile, Forward has no connection with end of next turn.

Karl Rove
Feb 26, 2006

Oh man, the Elders are really lovely guys. Their astral projection seminars are literally off the fucking planet, and highly recommended.

dwarf74 posted:

Thief/rogues, a character class that should not be?
Part of me is convinced this is a brilliant work of some sort of gaming concern trolling, though the thought of someone typing this out in earnest is magical :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
What is THAC0? What does a saving throw even mean? How are the different schools of magic differentiated from each other?

And yes, you could conceivably find out all this by reading the book, but that's no different from reading DW and inculcating their definitions of Keywords from reading the book.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

AC means armor class. It is easy enough for a retard to understand, if that is what you mean by retarded. Meanwhile, Forward has no connection with end of next turn.

Forward has no connection with EONT because Forward lasts until your next roll, because DW has no turns per se.

• Locked thread