Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ettin posted:

* slides grognards.txt back across the table *

drat fool of an Ettin!

I'm no mod, but here're some suggestions I will make while looking very stern:

• Post grog. Even talk about grog! I can't enforce a grog tax, and I think if the thread can't survive without one then we don't deserve the thread. However, if your tangent is twice removed from actual grog, how about you discover the magic of a thread for the very loving purpose of general chat. Don't have actual arguments in the grogs.txt thread you babies.

• My philosophy is that threads like these are best when they're foremost about having a good old laugh at someone being a huge turd snuffler. You can go ahead and think of the thread as a clearing house of sin accounting, but it's not actually doing anyone any more good than a thread full of gems from fanfiction.net. If you can't at least muster a smirk and a "Get a load of this rear end in a top hat" then maybe your post doesn't belong here!

• Don't post RPGPundit or ZakS unless they squat out something :wow:

• Don't forget your SJW Illuminati hand signals, or else you won't be able to raise and lower the SA paywall at your whim.

Now sit a while, and listen to a tale of how to keep icky girls from touching our dice (among other things).

quote:

Greetings, fellow MGTOW. One of my purple pill friends has decided to include a girl in our D&D game. I’ve seen her before and she’s your average SJW lazy leech. I’ve asked him several times to change his mind, but he just keeps to it. Ideas? What I have is I conspire with one of my other red pill friends to kill off her character and get her to have as little fun as possible, so she stops invading our space.

quote:

I’d suggest incorporating things into the story that go against SJW sensibilities but that the rest of you have no issue with. if she’s really your average attention seeking SJW she’ll throw a hissy fit and effectively remove her mask. granted that runs the risk of causing drama for your group but that’s how I’d do it if i were in your position. I’ve always been the type who hates liars and seeks to out them no matter the cost. lol.

quote:

I’d like to, but I’m not going to be the dungeon master. I’m thinking of playing a race where women are kept to a sheerly traditional role and have him constantly rail on her character. I’ll provide updates on the situation.

quote:

If you aren’t the dungeon master and can’t make the story go against things SJW’s believe in then being a race where women are in traditional roles seems like a good idea. You could also use her fake geekness to your advantage by making her look bad. I am sure she loves all those Marvel movies right? If you read comics then talk about stuff the Avengers have done over the years. Ask her about her thoughts of how the Avengers were disassembled and later formed the New Avengers. Ask her which side she was on during Civil War,did she agree with the initiative? During the Initiative did she prefer New Avengers or Mighty Avengers? Which Skrull reveal was the most shocking to her during the Secret Invasion. Did she liked the roster for the Dark Avengers?

Turns out I'm a fake geek because who gives poo poo about any of this.

Bonus lightning content:

Feminism is ruining video games but RPGs are safe because they're too geeky, this was seriously posted 2 months ago posted:

Nah they won't bother with us because even though we are all pretending geekdom is cool now, the people who pretend that still won't touch table top RPG's with the standard 2 silver piece 10 foot pole. Apparently even though they are cool with geeky things now, that's a geeky thing that's too geeky.... Either that or they have to admit to only liking a thing because its now cool to like that thing & they are just sheep.

Of course it helps that we can always just up & make our own system, or adapt someone elses generic system.

quote:

True. And if we confront them with D&D (old or new), Pathfinder or 40K or the old HERO system we'll actually confront them with MATH. And for most SJWs math is even more terrifying than the male gaze...

quote:

Yeah merit is another big reason why tabletop gaming in both RPG & Wargames does not appeal to the geek-sheep (my term for those people who call themselves geeks because its trendy): Tabletop games are active where as watching game of thrones is passive & that's really the difference between actual geeks and the geek-sheep. One actively pursues it because they are interested in it & the other waits for it to come to them (though some people can become interested enough to become active if they wait & see something come to them).

An SJW's are no different. In fact under 2E D&D generally geekdom had a rule about merit called the THAC0 exception: If you couldn't figure out THAC0 in your head, you didn't get to play.

Though i'll be honest, even I wasn't willing to use as much maths as champions wanted me to. Its not that the maths was hard so much as the amount of maths was tedious.... So its not all that shocking that I jumped all over Mutants and Masterminds when it came out: Exactly the same sort of maths, but only about 1/100th the amount of it (which left more room for descriptor & story telling over number crunching).

These days if I want something with to much maths i'll play Eclipse Phase (from Catalyst games)

No wonder this MRA is suggesting Eclipse Phase. He's so far behind the times he thinks Catalyst Games is still publishing it.

Palate cleanser:

quote:

I think the only group that can rightfully contend that 5E is not superior for their needs (or even just adequate) are those who really enjoyed the optmization mini-game aspect of 3rd and 4th edition.* 5E isn't just for newbs, nostalgia grognards and people with a love of AD&D; I've played all editions and enjoyed them all for their strengths while reviling their weaknesses. I love 5E, and expect it will hold up well for a long time, hopefully longer than 3rd or 4th did before those two systems began to demonstrate weaknesses. For me at least 5E is a refinement of prior editions, allowing for a smoother play experience with less prep time for the DM while still giving a range of player options but deliberately designed to deflect optmization as a focus in favor of the more "role play" aspects. For some people, this is all they've wanted out of D&D all along and its nice to have a system which moves in that direction.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

I wish to offer to this thread more than my helpless rage and furious sputtering directed at the assholes ruining this hobby for everyone else. What are some good places to mine for grog?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

I wish to offer to this thread more than my helpless rage and furious sputtering directed at the assholes ruining this hobby for everyone else. What are some good places to mine for grog?

Training Wheels: RPGSite, Gaming Den. Just, so much grog, constantly. That's kind of why I stopped bothering with them, it got samey and monotonous. You can also just poke around pretty much any sizable community and find some grog sitting around. Or try Googling words that are likely to turn up grog, like "D&D feminism" and maybe throw on "site:reddit.com" or "site:avoiceformen.com" or such what. It's always a lot more fun if you're doing a scavenger hunt with friends in Skype, or just torturing local friends by reading it aloud.

That Old Tree fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Feb 4, 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So what was that thing with Mearls today/yesterday?

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

KotauInAction subreddit posted:

Yea, RPG.NET is notorious for being an SJW fanatics and banning people for any infraction. You would see posts like "How games are sexist", "Lets talk about misogyny", "We need diversity", "Why does the hobby support rape culture"...etc FOR MONTHS. Mods and SJW would keep the thread alive. If ANYBODY tried to go against the SJW MOLD or even ask something like "Why is X wrong?" the post would be deleted and the user either given a warning or just banned for weeks to months. They have no problem attacking writers/authors that they do not agree with. A lot of people have complained about the site. I have not been there in a long time, but an alternative site I visited was The Rpg Site which last time was more open to discussions without fear of being banned by a mod.
Edit 1: From another reddit post, here (link) is an an example of what a SJW forum thread looks like on RPG.NET
The link reveals this:

Yep, looks like nazi-like censorship to me, and not at all like the guy was being a major creeper.
e: here's a link if you find it hard to read.
http://i.imgur.com/RKMaldR.png

paradoxGentleman fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Feb 4, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I read with a little irritation the recent thread about the trend toward humanising orcs in TRPGs, by a refusal to accept orcs as naturally or irredeemably evil. Instead, according to this trendy view, they must be human in monster drag with comprehensible human motivations, with perhaps some psychological window dressing. I wonder at this trend. Enlighten me: is it part of a general trend in fantasy games to humanise all monsters, so that no monster can simply be evil, but must essentially be a human and find its evilness in terms of its humanity? Is this a robust trend or a probably short-lived one? How much of this trend existed in original/old school TRPG participants and was perhaps overlooked?

----

Some will always want to humanize everything. That is just how some people are. It's not a trend, but there are more of them here on the boards then the people that think otherwise, because reasons.

Old School players are of a different mindset. There is no middle ground between the two.

--(discussion re: racism)--
Perhaps, but that is an ABSURD parallel to draw. Christ, way too many people taking things way too seriously in this thread.

I think people feel that they need to humanize monsters because of:

1. Intense narcissism manifested by assuming just because creatures share some traits with us (intelligence/sentience/sapience) they necessarily share all of our traits/values/behaviors. Just because you can't imagine them being different just because they share a few traits with us doesn't mean they cant be radically different, that's simply a failure of your imagination.

2. Taking things at the table WAY too seriously; really, leave this stodgy philosophical crap for real life.

Strongly agree with the OP. This is an obnoxious trend; one that thankfully has remained on the forums and out of most games I play in.

----

Come down off the high horse and stop irresponsibly injecting controversy where there is none.

The behavior you describe is an inextricable facet of human biology, a trait passed on due to its usefulness in helping previous generations survive and reproduce. We are a species that relied on visual input and rapid processing/decision-making to carve out our evolutionary niche...and it still serves important purposes today.

Not that such a thing really has anything to do with the OP's point, but people in this thread have stretched it out into an absurd exaggeration that needs deflating.

----

The issue here then seems to not be an inherent problem with the idea of irredeemably "evil" races/species/etc. Instead, lack of thought and bad world-building leading to unfortunate implications.

One of the reasons racist sterotypes were so effective is because they tapped into pre-existing fears and ideas that grabbed the imagination. The idea of savagery and bestial urges lurking beneath a veneer of civilisation were still there before racism came into the picture. People just tapped into that and turned it into a weapon of hate by applying it to actual people instead of supernatural monsters (like werewolves for example).

I think that the idea of personfying these fears to use in a story is still a valid literary tool and can be done without reinforcing racism. Like...take Pathfinders Africa-pastiche in their campaign world Golarion. There is a ape-man demon lord that sends out chattering ape-men minions to do horrible things to the surrounding people...who are black tribespeople. They fight against the ape-people and are just as good and intelligent as the people in the europe/amerca/etc countries. Are the ape-men racist? They certainly make use of imagery that could be quite racist. But I think there's a very clear dividing line that stops the unfortunate implications.

----

Every time I see threads like this my stomach clenches up. The debate swiftly becomes a litmus test for real-world racial beliefs and a competition to prove who is the most enlightened. Some few attempt to bring reason to an emotion fight and suffer a predictable backlash, and after a fairly short time the outrage- Outrage, I tell you!- wanes until the next time someone raises the topic, when it flares up just as brightly as it did before.

So let me ask you all this: How many times, and I want examples, have you personally encountered these kind of situations in games you've played in? What was the average age of the players involved? Can you cite proof or even circumstantial evidence that the GM or the other players were deliberately inserting or attributing characteristics to the 'Orcs' of your game that were stereotyped insults directed at you, your background, or your beliefs? Most importantly, has this been the predominant theme in your gaming experience so far?

If not, then please stop arguing that fantastic simplification automatically equates to real racism.

This has to stop. Posts that insist this have to stop. Threads that raise this have to stop. I can't tell you how utterly wearying it is to read smug, sanctimonious, and simplistic attempts to assert that using [insert fantasy creature here] as Teh Evul RaceTM is really an attempt to justify or perpetuate some hateful personal belief using RPG mechanics. "Bob the DM is using Orcs as the bad guys in his campaign? Clearly he's a closet racist! " Please, just desist.

----

Why? Because not everyone on this forum is necessarily in agreement with that sentiment, which hinges on an absurd slippery slope argument to make the connection between generalizations about fantasy creatures begetting real-life racism. I think it's incredibly irresponsible to inflame people by suggesting a serious link between the two.

It also completely disregards any differences between the biology of different in-game species (for example orcs and humans)...biology which may result in profoundly different spectra of behavior for each species. Silly as it is to talk about this type of thing with respect to elf games, that's where this thread has wound up

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Straight Males add their input on Alesha, Who Smiles at Heteronormativity.

(Context: this is about a story on the magic webzone which reveals Alesha is transgender)

quote:

Why does it matter the sexuality of make believe characters? No one (normal) is going to base their entire philosophy on a card game that is made from the same people who used to do pokemon. I'd rather they designed cool looking characters than try and do the check each box thing. I'm worried if they care more about checking the boxes than the quality of the product will go down. I'm not saying they shouldn't have homosexual characters but I am saying they should only do it when it adds something essential to the characters.

I like the implication that cool characters aren't LGBT. :allears:

quote:

Alesha has been referred to exclusively with female pronouns ever since her card was spoiled, as well as in the planeswalker's guide.

"How dare they refer to this woman as a woman instead of sparing me the surprise that she's transgender!"

quote:

Wooo, gender identity debate. Can't we actually talk about the characters instead of who they prefer to lay with?

"Why are we talking gender identity in response to this story about a character's gender identity?"

Context: Alesha's sexual preference has never come up and I suspect it's "murdering dragons".

quote:

I do not mind characters with traits such as this one being included in Magic, but at the same time, I see no need for them being included. I would not like to see my favorite game suffer from the "equal opportunities, equal representation of every possible minority" environment of political hypercorrectness that the most of Western world and Euroamerican society is suffering recently.

"I don't see why Magic should include anything but straight people."

Unfortunately the story dropped right as the previous grognards.txt thread closed and by now the choicest bits were deleted by the mods. :(

Guilty Spork
Feb 26, 2011

Thunder rolled. It rolled a six.

gradenko_2000 posted:

So what was that thing with Mearls today/yesterday?
WotC had their typical round of Christmas layoffs, which this time included the sole woman on the D&D design team. A Paizo person reblogged a Tumblr post about that, resulting in a tweet that started with "There are now Zero Women working on Dungeons and Dragons." Rather than realizing that it was a reblog (hence the Tumblr URL afterwards) or asking for clarification or anything, he said things like "let me know when you have an apology ready for the half dozen women you're overlooking." and even better "for some people (not you - never got that vibe) how much is it that they aren't the right kind of women?" ("Not you" referring to Cam Banks here.)

Not having any women on an RPG design team (while having half a dozen involved in other aspects of the game) isn't an ideal situation, but isn't exactly a shock. Accusing people who would like to see some women among the design team of thinking the women otherwise involved in D&D aren't "the right kind of women" is really weird and gross, and AFAICT based on nothing in particular.

That's your dose of dumb RPG industry gossip for today.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Alesha is basically the best, and the MTG design/creative crew are great for making her.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Mors Rattus posted:

Alesha is basically the best, and the MTG design/creative crew are great for making her.

And this is fron the same company that credited tje wonder duo as consultants. I'm still not sure how that works.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

paradoxGentleman posted:

And this is fron the same company that credited tje wonder duo as consultants. I'm still not sure how that works.
The current thinking is that D&D is where they put the designers and other employees that they don't want screwing up the company's flagship product and cash cow. Similarly, if there's a designer with real talent and promise, they want him on the Magic team, not the D&D team. The D&D team increasingly seems to be made up of the leftovers who are not good enough to work on the big franchise.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So what you're saying is, all creatures in game can only ever have positive traits lest they be considered some analogue that offends some person who was once called whatever the insult happens to be. Frankly, that sort of player isn't going to get very far in life, that level of thin skin and ability to project into things that aren't all that similar to themselves is going to make them offended by pretty much everything. This isn't just for orcs either, other races all have these various traits that are just as negative, removing those traits and just making them picture perfect people who can do no wrong sounds really, really awful. I mean, even creating a villainous human nation is going to rub some people who are like that the wrong way.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Frankly, I get tired of being told that I'm racist because of my skin color. And that carries over into being tired of being accused of it for having likes that the speaker has decided he is offended by.

We have a very loud and vocal subculture of the professionally offended in our society, and it's doing nobody any good.

If you see "yourself" in the orc tribe your party is expected to slaughter, ask yourself why. What about them reminds you of yourself? Is it their mode of dress? I'm pretty sure that there's no mode of dress amongst medieval fantasy characters that really translates well to modern clothing options; are you saying you identify with a mode of dress because "it's your ancestors?" You are not your ancestors.

More importantly, though, why is your party attacking them? I doubt it's because they object to their style with dyed leather and carved animal bones. Though maybe it's the carved demihuman bones. But even then, for what it implies, not for the decorative effect.

Are you offended because you see yourself in the orcs' behavior? Which behaviors? Are those behaviors why the party is attacking them? If so, then perhaps you're right to be offended...or you need to re-examine your own behaviors.

I doubt, however, that any of us is a pillager and rapist who burns villages down while taking their stuff. If we were, I'm not sure I'd want to be gaming with them.

Even when orcs are "always evil," it tends to be because they're acting the part that adventurers go after them. To stop them and their acts of evil.

I mean, it's not like any one race or culture has an exclusive on being stereotyped (subtly or not) as "always the bad guy." Watch Law & Order; at least nine times out of ten, if you see a rich white person (particularly if they're religious), they'll turn out to either BE the killer, or to be somehow morally culpable for the killings.

Same with the "oh, it's a CEO of a company; he's obviously the villain" trope.

So I do sympathize, but seriously, grow a thicker skin. Unless the behaviors you see in your "monster race equivalent" are totally benign when you do them, but characterize anybody who engages in them as "always evil," you're probably not being targetted.

I feel like we have gotten to a point where the cries of "racism" are, themselves, racist, because they just assume that all actions of a particular race are motivated by it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

quote:

The Bard I guess the whole time was making love to the four ladies he saved. Well, the Warlock ate some strips of the Drake they had killed, hoping it was an aphrodisiac (it was), because he wanted to find where the Bard was and join in with the ladies. Needless to say it gets really out of hand here. First off, he doesn't know where the Bard's room is. So he searches, gives up, retreats back to his room and decides to lay with one of his dogs instead... (don't ask me, I have no idea why, some people just play screwed up characters). After successfully laying with the dog, he decides he wants to create a cult, so he sneaks around the keep looking for children. He finds one, brings it back to his room, there he intimidates the child and deceives it into believing it's parents wanted the kid to grow up to be a sorcerer and that they wanted him (the Warlock) to teach him. He also threatened the child with, "And if you disobey me or tell anyone you're here, I'm going to kill your parents." So the child naturally sobs, is upset but "understands" and is told to go sleep next to the dogs.

From a Hoard of the Dragon Queen play report.

If you have a high tolerance for wall o' text, read the whole thing.

Glorified Scrivener
May 4, 2007

His tongue it could not speak, but only flatter.

quote:

Finally, when it comes to game mechanics, I don’t buy into systems that treat PCs differently than the rest of the world. Suspension of disbelief plays a large part in this, because such a mechanic is antithetical to the world view of my faith. Christ gave eternal life to all of humanity when He went to the cross and rose from the dead.

Edit: For context, this is capstone of an argument about why 1 GP = 1 XP is the best XP system and that said XP system should apply to every single sentient creature in a game universe.

Glorified Scrivener fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 4, 2015

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

quote:

My paladin had taken a vow of celibacy. Not the feat from the “Book of Exalted Deeds,” mind you. It was simply something my character had done in-character, with no mechanical benefit. The villain in this particular campaign was an enchantress. It was a lame self-insert character by our GM, but the group tried to put up with it. In our last session I got separated from the rest of the party while we were hunting the enchantress. She jumped out at me, and cast Dominate Person. Once I failed my saving throw, and was under her power, she tried to seduce me. I told the GM that, since this was against my nature as a celibate man, I ought to get a new saving throw at a +2 bonus to resist. Do you know what she said to me?

“Deep down, all men just want to have sex with women, no matter what they say.”

She denied me the right to a new saving throw, and went on to describe my character and her’s having sex. Once she was done, she said that since I had broken my vow of celibacy, I lost all of my paladin powers.

So how can I get back at her for this?

paladins and grogs are like ice cream and pizza :allears:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Edit: For context, this is capstone of an argument about why 1 GP = 1 XP is the best XP system and that said XP system should apply to every single sentient creature in a game universe.

That's why they pass around the collection plate. Follow the money :tinfoil:

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Der Waffle Mous posted:

That's why they pass around the collection plate. Follow the money :tinfoil:
Well, it explains how God got to be so high level, but how the hell did Jesus do all these miracles, with him being so poor? Verisimilitude busted.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Clearly, God is the DM and Jesus was his DMPC, so he can break the rules. :smugbert:

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Glorified Scrivener posted:

Using 1 GP = 1 XP to prop up prosperity theology. I thought I'd seen it all.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

"As a true M:TG player, I'm not against trans-characters, it's just they're icky and their presence is a blight on my game."

quote:

I'm worried if they care more about checking the boxes than the quality of the product will go down. I'm not saying they shouldn't have homosexual characters but I am saying they should only do it when it adds something essential to the characters.

I wonder what this guy thinks is an "essential" addition to the character, especially since Alesha's trans identity is entirely the whole point of the story. Bonus points for confusing homosexuality and transgender.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

...So each card in that game have a deep story behind them?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Each set has an overarching story, and cards often feature important characters. Those characters, such as Alesha, sometimes get smaller stories about them personally. Other cards feature parts of the world the set is taking place in and try to communicate the story in smaller bits.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Hipster Occultist posted:

paladins and grogs are like ice cream and pizza :allears:

hahaha holy poo poo this is bizarre on so many levels

It also reminds me of that comic strip with the piss forest that I can't seem to find, someone here has it I'm sure

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

First Bass posted:

It also reminds me of that comic strip with the piss forest that I can't seem to find, someone here has it I'm sure

Gunshow Comic - Piss World

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

First Bass posted:

paladins are natural lightning rods for the best/worst grog stories

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

paradoxGentleman posted:

The link reveals this:

Yep, looks like nazi-like censorship to me, and not at all like the guy was being a major creeper.
e: here's a link if you find it hard to read.
http://i.imgur.com/RKMaldR.png

Oh goodie, looks like I'm on that list as well, used as someone's unwiling strawman to fight against RPGnet. Well doesn't that just make my loving day?

(For context: that was years ago and the post I made, while innocently intended, could be read in a certain way that would be against policy given the context of the thread itself. So I was asked to leave the thread and that was that. I wasn't banned for weeks or months either, whoever wrote that is full of poo poo.)

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Sage Genesis posted:

Oh goodie, looks like I'm on that list as well, used as someone's unwiling strawman to fight against RPGnet. Well doesn't that just make my loving day?

At least some harassing weirdo's conspiracy nut girlfriend doesn't have your name listed on her big photoshop collage of Known Swine Sympathizers or whatever the gently caress.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Kai Tave posted:

At least some harassing weirdo's conspiracy nut girlfriend doesn't have your name listed on her big photoshop collage of Known Swine Sympathizers or whatever the gently caress.

Yeah alright, you win. For a certain value of "winning".

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I will admit that I find the policy against people asking to be educated to be kind of bullshit. What's wrong with someone who doesn't know much about a certain argument asking for more information?

palecur
Nov 3, 2002

not too simple and not too kind
Fallen Rib

paradoxGentleman posted:

I will admit that I find the policy against people asking to be educated to be kind of bullshit. What's wrong with someone who doesn't know much about a certain argument asking for more information?

It's essentially a reaction to people who have no interest in being educated, just wasting time and derailing discussion. Unfortunately folks who are genuinely ignorant and interested in becoming less so, while more numerous, are less toxic, so tossing them out into the world is largely considered an acceptable loss in order to get rid of the sealion crowd.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

Because it's a common deflection and derailing tactic.

I mean yeah, it sucks for people who genuinely aren't in the know, and I'd modify the rule to allow a dedicated "tell me about..." thread while barring it in other threads, but I'm no mod and probably don't have the whole picture.

Clanpot Shake
Aug 10, 2006
shake shake!

paradoxGentleman posted:

There's loads of stuff written about feminism and sexism online, most of it for free. If you really wanted to know what that whole thing is about you'd go and read some of it instead of derailing discussions with questions that amount to asking the professor to read your Women's Studies 101 reading list books to you instead of reading them yourself.

"I'm just asking questions!" serves only to derail the discussion.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I can sorta pick it up from context but what the hell is Sealioning and why is it called that, exactly?

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Term became popular during the whole Gamergate thing.

Darth Various
Oct 23, 2010

Night10194 posted:

I can sorta pick it up from context but what the hell is Sealioning and why is it called that, exactly?

It refers to this comic (e: the one The Crotch posted) and the habit to demand 40 page theses about what Gamergate did wrong from anyone (especially women) who criticized them like once in a throwaway post on G+.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Night10194 posted:

See cartoon.

Sealioning is when people ask dumb basic questions (that have been answered or have faulty premises) over and over and over again in a polite tone, to get someone to waste time answering them or to look bad while not answering them.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT
And its such a wonderful and succint term.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Clanpot Shake posted:

There's loads of stuff written about feminism and sexism online, most of it for free. If you really wanted to know what that whole thing is about you'd go and read some of it instead of derailing discussions with questions that amount to asking the professor to read your Women's Studies 101 reading list books to you instead of reading them yourself.

"I'm just asking questions!" serves only to derail the discussion.

Well yeah, if someone is asking about such basic topics, it's clearly just pulling your leg and being a converstion-derailing smartass. But in cases like Sage Genesis', where the questions asked are related to a very specific issue, and one that is stricty correlated to RPGnet's policies at that, you can clearly see that this is not the case.

More grog:

quote:

I'm running a weekly Dungeons & Dragons 5e campaign now after having done a series of one-shots so the players could get to know the classes. Of 4 to 6 players, maybe 5 different character creation sessions in total, they've made....one human.

The kind of game I want to focus on is human-centric. Other races are contributing to the general fantasy landscape. I've told the players that they may have a bit of trouble going into human settlements because human villages would be, for instance, frightened of a half-dragon, or throw stones at a drow, or be very guarded against a mountain dwarf.

I don't mind demi-humans in the party - I think they add lots of interesting flavour to the make-up, but when it's a party of everything-but-human, an entirely mixed bag of various almost-monsters adventuring together, it distinctly clashes with my impression of what a Dungeons & Dragons game should be. I just don't want the majority of the party to be playing the 'weird outsider one'.

As a preface: I came to D&D with 3rd edition and worked my way backwards in editions. When I discovered B/X I kind of fell in love with it (not to say it doesn't have other problems) and discovered that B/X was the kind of thing I always thought of as D&D without knowing it. It made playing a demi-human feel special and different, at least to me. My group is only interested in 3rd edition and beyond, and I'm the one that coxed them into 5e.

I think the races in 5e are very well thought-out, well balanced and well designed. However, when they are well-balanced with the human choice, and interesting-of-themselves, then how can human compete as a selection? Of course humans are going to be a minority in a party of characters.

I've thought of letting human characters start off at a slightly higher level in order to encourage the setting I'm trying to evoke, but I'm concerned players may find this unfair.

Suggestions?

Now, to be fair, there was a certain amount of sensible answers here, of the "just tell them the sort of game you want to play, dude" variety. But there was also this guy:

quote:

Random Generation.

You can be a human if you want, otherwise you roll on the race chart and can pick anything from that rarity level or below.

You don't want everyone to make up Noldor, Warforged, Melnibonean Nobles or anything else with a ratio that turns your world into a joke...then don't let them do it.

quote:

quote:

I think there's also an unexamined contrarian element where if you say 'this is a game of samurai' someone is going to want to be a Klingon ninja half-dragon shaman.
Next game don't invite that person at all. When they ask why, say "Oh this campaign doesn't have Drow/Gish/Cybermancers, so I figured you wouldn't want to play". They'll walk (good) or see that you put the collective game over their wants (better).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo
I've never really posted grog before so forgive me if I'm Doing It Wrong, but...

quote:

Why is a DM letting you spend 20 minutes to figure out what to do with a spell when a round is 6 seconds long? In my games you have a maximum of 10 seconds to decide what to do. I'm glad my rogue has fewer options. I know what I want to do and I know how best to maximize what I do in relation to the other players. I.e., I stand within 5 feet of a creature that is effected by the Barbarian's Wolf Totem rage so I get advantage. Fast, efficient, deadly combat.

Yes, let's put 10-second time limits on the players because the in character combat round is so short. That's definitely reasonable. And also...

quote:

I am DMing a party that is now 4th level and we've had 6 sessions. The Life Cleric rarely casts a healing spell in combat. Occasionally he will cast a healing spell if a character drops to zero hp and he feels the character being able to act is necessary to survive the combat. Otherwise they wait to take a short rest and/or use the Druid's Goodberries for a few HP. The party would rather have the Cleric cast Sacred Flame in combat and use his most efficient heals on the most needed targets outside of combat. The result is more damage caused in combat and the best use of heals outside of combat. Between the Druid casting all of his 1st level spells on Goodberry the night before and the Life Cleric using efficient out-of-combat healing, the party manages to avoid many short rests (much to the warlock's chagrin)

I'm not sure which one is worse...

The fact that the Cleric gets to decide who is allowed to contribute to the game after the DM decided to knock your rear end down...
... or that they know that their playstyle is gimping one of their fellow players and they seem proud of this.

• Locked thread