Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

LloydDobler posted:

And yes I choked up a tiny bit at the end of that one. God drat.

I giggled with delight. Seriously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I have been watching MotorTrend's Road Kill on YouTube lately... God drat, I'd love to do that poo poo.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

CharlesM posted:

I giggled with delight. Seriously.

I smiled when I saw Harrison Ford and Chewbacca. I'm such a sucker.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

STANCE

There used to be an arcade near us that had Stage 3 and we all had a bunch of different cards and we always battled each other in high-school. Place got closed down because it got super shady. For a while I used to carry my 86 save file card on me when going on adventures, because occasionally we'd find a pair of old forgotten machines in the corner of some attraction. Haven't seen any in a while though. I miss playing Initial D :(

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

A place near me had Stage 2, but personally I was always a Wangan Midnight Max Tune guy myself. Had like 6 cars fully tuned (hundreds of $ worth, possibly over a thousand), they got stolen when I left my car unlocked one night with my wallet inside. :doh:

Rocky's Replay, for any Orlando goons.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Dishwasher is leaking.

loving GE engineers bolted everything onto the plastic drain bowl with the screws going straight into the plastic. Just gushes water out of a screw on the drain cycle. Going to try taking the screw out, covering it with caulking and putting it back in because gently caress disassembling that thing with three inches of clearance.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

T-Square posted:

STANCE

There used to be an arcade near us that had Stage 3 and we all had a bunch of different cards and we always battled each other in high-school. Place got closed down because it got super shady. For a while I used to carry my 86 save file card on me when going on adventures, because occasionally we'd find a pair of old forgotten machines in the corner of some attraction. Haven't seen any in a while though. I miss playing Initial D :(

Get the Japanese import for the PS3 it's awesome.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:saddowns:

E: THERES A GOD DAMNED BLACK WIDOW LIVING UNDER THE DECK CHAIR NEXT TO MY JACUZZI

INCHI DICKARI fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 17, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Stage 8 is like a year and change old; it's also internet connected which is awesome. You could also have multiple cars on the same card, too. You got a free credit every day; so if you feed the machine once, you get one additional continue. They also have like online events where if you play during this time period, you get some cosmetic stuff for your avatar, or a unique aura, or you have a shot to buy a particular car, etc.

It had some really cool poo poo, like when you race the nerd in the EG hatch, you can only give it so much steering input to mimic what happened in the comic. There's an early challenge where Iketani rides with you and you need to freak him out and make him faint by drifting well.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
MOTHERFUCKER

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

The Locator posted:

RE: SWAT. Marana is a pretty small town (about 40k population). I imagine that the police that you could see in that video was a sizable portion of the on-duty officers at that time. They have 85 sworn officers total. I seriously doubt that they have a SWAT team.

Most SWAT teams in areas with small towns are county teams consisting of officers from the various departments.

some texas redneck posted:

:can: T568A or T568B for home gigabit with CCA twisted pair cat5e?

568B. Always 568B. Because.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Picked up a Dell branded 17" trinitron from a guy who was just going to throw it out. Currently watching remastered Star Trek TNG with the intended hardware. Its loving sweet.

T-Square
May 14, 2009

Phone posted:

Stage 8 is like a year and change old; it's also internet connected which is awesome. You could also have multiple cars on the same card, too. You got a free credit every day; so if you feed the machine once, you get one additional continue. They also have like online events where if you play during this time period, you get some cosmetic stuff for your avatar, or a unique aura, or you have a shot to buy a particular car, etc.

It had some really cool poo poo, like when you race the nerd in the EG hatch, you can only give it so much steering input to mimic what happened in the comic. There's an early challenge where Iketani rides with you and you need to freak him out and make him faint by drifting well.

What the poo poo, I thought it was only up to like Stage 4 or something, drat. That's pretty rad.

Fucknag posted:

A place near me had Stage 2, but personally I was always a Wangan Midnight Max Tune guy myself. Had like 6 cars fully tuned (hundreds of $ worth, possibly over a thousand), they got stolen when I left my car unlocked one night with my wallet inside. :doh:

Pretty sure they had this at either Six Flags or Cedar Point for a little bit, and I went there in middle school with my friend and my family. My family did roller coasters and let us hang out by ourselves, and we just ended up pumping money into this all loving day :v:

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

meatpimp posted:

That poo poo is awesome and extremely valuable, Fart Pipe, get them in a safety deposit box and/or insured!

I have a bunch of other space stuff and Ive been thinking about making a thread but I dont know how many people would be interested in it here in AI. I guess its not that much different than the airplane and boat threads we have going anyway so if anyone has interest in it I might do it. Most of my stuff is from the shuttle era but I do have the user manuals from the Lunar Module, the current EMU and things like that. If anyone else here has worked on the space program and could contribute that would be awesome and let me know.

I never figured any of the stuff would be valuable enough to insure because if something happened to it its just not replaceable. Its mostly sentimental to me since a lot of my family (including me) has worked on the space program. That and Im a huge space nerd.

e: Some of the books I have may have some proprietary information in them. They are mostly really old but if someone knows about what I should or shouldn't post from them and could help can you PM me about it? It'll take me a while to take pics/scan stuff and write posts before I make a thread so no hurry at all.

shy boy from chess club fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Apr 17, 2015

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]

Fart Pipe posted:

I have a bunch of other space stuff and Ive been thinking about making a thread but I dont know how many people would be interested in it here in AI. I guess its not that much different than the airplane and boat threads we have going anyway so if anyone has interest in it I might do it. Most of my stuff is from the shuttle era but I do have the user manuals from the Lunar Module, the current EMU and things like that. If anyone else here has worked on the space program and could contribute that would be awesome and let me know.

I never figured any of the stuff would be valuable enough to insure because if something happened to it its just not replaceable. Its mostly sentimental to me since a lot of my family (including me) has worked on the space program. That and Im a huge space nerd.

Post it.

I'm a Science teacher by day, and my room is decked out with NASA posters and other space stuff. I'd love to see it just to have more to talk about with my students when we cover space.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*

That was easy. :smugdog:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
I'd say most of us car geeks are science geeks as well. Post away!

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Fart Pipe posted:

I have a bunch of other space stuff and Ive been thinking about making a thread but I dont know how many people would be interested in it here in AI.

You. Shut up and post awesome space stuff. Thanks in advance. Also, post it in the spaceflight megathread. Lots of people will really enjoy it.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

goatse guy posted:

That was a good game.

Especially since I just want your teams to destroy each other

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

goatse guy posted:

:argh:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

DICKPOCALYPSE NOW posted:

E: THERES A GOD DAMNED BLACK WIDOW LIVING UNDER THE DECK CHAIR NEXT TO MY JACUZZI

like 2 years ago i killed probably 30 of them during spring and summer. seriously, gently caress them.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

kastein posted:

They likely are... I would find that REALLY concerning.

As in, start tearing down plaster to find out why your frame is falling apart behind it. Mine didn't even do that, and the sill beams came out with a gardening trowel...

Well, they weren't related, but still WTF territory.

I spent all morning trying to work out why the lighting circuit was shorted. I realised the ceiling fan in the bedroom was on that circuit and the only thing that was actually on at the time. I opened the speed controller and realised that it was physically impossible for it to cause a short, so I replaced the fan with a spare from the shed. I left the shaft thing from the ceiling because the one from the replacement fan was too long.
I also replaced the fuse with a circuit breaker.
Didn't fix poo poo. Ended up calling an electrician. The light fitting in the bathroom had shorted for some reason. When flipping the breaker it'd let off a mighty flare, instantly tripping it. Not going to deny I'm pretty ignorant of house electrics. I can replace things when they fail but concepts like the light causing a short when it's turned off are foreign to me.
Still, I'm glad to have replaced the fan. The old one made some irritating sounds and didn't push much air.

The wall. Not a goddamn clue.The house is double brick.The way the wall cracked it looks like the bottom 3/4 of the wall sunk a touch and left behind the top 1/4. Looking at a couple of doorframes for reference it looks like the wall had sunk more previously quite a long time ago. The companion part of the same central wall in the loungeroom appears to have settled the same way in the distant past. Possibly before the house had pins installed to keep it's walls from peeling like a banana. Every old brick house I've lived in had the pins retrofit at some point in time.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
An ex co-worker of mine works at Rockstar and I am vehemently reaming him out for the lack of foresight his shitball company has for only having one download server to serve the entire planet. I've been downloading GTA V for about 10 hours now and it's still not done.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

T-Square posted:

What the poo poo, I thought it was only up to like Stage 4 or something, drat. That's pretty rad.

Pretty sure they had this at either Six Flags or Cedar Point for a little bit, and I went there in middle school with my friend and my family. My family did roller coasters and let us hang out by ourselves, and we just ended up pumping money into this all loving day :v:

Japan gets the good stuff

e: if you live in Massachusetts gameunderground has a pair of ID machines, although I forget which stage they are

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Star Wars chat I just started reading the EU novels beginning with 'The HAN SOLO Adventures' and then with the trailer coming out today oh man am I in nerd heaven.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Mat_Drinks posted:

Star Wars chat I just started reading the EU novels beginning with 'The HAN SOLO Adventures' and then with the trailer coming out today oh man am I in nerd heaven.

Pretty brave to admit out loud to readin star wars EU

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
13" Now, I have to buy you two beers if you visit, now. That was impressive.

iwentdoodie posted:

And el jebus: that would be awesome. Hopefully you remember :v:

Before I forget, the website from last year. palmspringspropsandhopsfestival.com is the website. It just happened in November, but next year I can probably get you a vendor wrist band so you drink for free (if they do that again). Bring a nice beer or two to share with the Brewers, though...

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Motronic posted:

568B. Always 568B. Because.

Damnit. I've got 3 jacks wired 568A now, and I want to keep everything consistent.

I know it only means swapping 4 wires, but I'm not exactly using name brand stuff; I have doubts that the punchdown block and jacks will survive being repunched.

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Sounds like you need some non-poo poo power tools and batteries. We only use Milwaukee and Hilti at work.

This. Getting an AC powered drill at the very least next paycheck, eventually I'll get a cordless. I know I won't need it often, but waiting a day for this piece of poo poo Black and Decker to recharge is a pain in the rear end.

Got the guest room wired. Found what I thought was one of my original runs of cat5 from years ago going into the guest bedroom from the attic.. gave it a tug and felt a pop. Uh oh. Then I realized I was far too close to the coax run to my bedroom (they share a wall) be in the right section of wall. Turns out GTE had run that for the phone jack that was in there (originally for a DSL modem). :doh:

There was already a hole drilled in the section of wall I planned to run the wire - I had cat5 in there before, and coax had been run in there at one point through the same hole (that coax has been repurposed for my modem, which is in my closet). I just had a hell of a time finding it under ~20 inches of blown in insulation.

Now I just have to figure out what numbering to use for each room. The only ones I've really set in stone are the office, with ports 7 and 8. At the moment, the guest bedroom is on 6. Eventually my room will have a total of 3 (2 behind my desk, 1 on the wall shared with the guest room), guest bedroom will probably remain with one, master bedroom gets two, and there's going to be 1-2 behind the TV in the den.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Don't redo the jacks you've done already! As long as you use the same on both ends it doesn't matter! They are 100% the same.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

jammyozzy posted:

Posted my V5s and driver's license off to the DVLA a fortnight ago to have the addresses changed. Found the receipts in my wallet today and thought I'd double check they got there...

According to the tracking info the V5s are still in the post office branch. :argh: At least my license seems to have gotten there, although the person recieving has literally just signed with an 'X'.

Had the same issue when the government decided to try and take tax money I didn't owe (said I'd been on unemployment benefits during a year I was fully employed :v:)

The "X" signature can be used if the person is illiterate

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Tusen Takk posted:

So I may be buying my dad's old house that he's been renting out. The best feature of it?

A barn with an apartment upstairs and room for four cars inside (or a massive industrial car lift).

The best part? When I said something about potentially knocking the barn down because it's an eye-sore my wife suggested that we keep it but just put new siding on it so it doesn't look so trashy so that way we can have a garage for her car in the winter and I can have a garage for car projects and other assorted tom-foolery.

:kimchi:

Jealous as gently caress. This is what I want to live in, given that I'm terminally single and don't need much living space anyway.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

CharlesM posted:

Don't redo the jacks you've done already! As long as you use the same on both ends it doesn't matter! They are 100% the same.

Wasn't planning on it, I just want to keep everything completely identical. If nothing else, for future troubleshooting.

Finally mounted the patch panel, and the cable pass through on the wall is barely screwed into place (it'll have to come out anytime I pull more cables, which will be a few times a week for the next month). I need to get either a wall mounted 12 port gigabit switch, or a small rack to hold the same switch, and a mountable surge protector. At the moment, it's a clusterfuck made up of a Verizon FiOS modem/router, a Trendnet 8 port gigabit switch, two HDHomeRun Primes, an Intellinet patch panel, an old APC desktop surge protector, and a TP-Link ethernet over power adapter (which will be gone tomorrow). The modem/router, switch, and TV tuners are just kind of thrown up there for now. Also a single coax leading into a triple splitter; eventually I'll have 3 coax jacks (the plate the single one is on has 3 keystones in it, and I have a decent quality Klein 8 port splitter in the attic that's only half used).

I'm hoping to have everything finished within a month. It'd be done in a week, except I really want to clean everything up and make it look neat, and I can't afford a proper 12 port switch yet (it'll daisy chain from the modem/router, but 2 ports on that will be used by the TV tuners). Worst case, I snag a 16 port switch if it winds up being the same price. Likely something along the lines of TRENDnet or TP-Link; decent enough for home use, and I'll probably throw in a timer to reset everything once a week. Even if I can't get a rack, I want to get a sheet of plywood and screw everything to it (everything has screw-mount holes), or toss a couple of shelves up.

I should probably track down some flat coax cables too, or at least make some shorter ones.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 08:47 on Apr 17, 2015

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Double post.

Anyone ever used those HDMI extenders that run over CAT5e? Since I'm doing so much wiring anyway, I'm giving serious thought to (a) installing a recessed power outlet behind the TV and (b) running HDMI from a wall jack behind the desk up to the TV. I have just enough romex left, and I'm going to have several hundred feet of cat5e left over once I'm done.

It's a 720p TV.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
RE: switches, usually the soho ones will have the little crosses on the bottom to wall-mount them. Otherwise, you can get wall-mount 1U brackets to hang whatever up there. Or just rotate the ears 90 degrees and screw them down. I've had good luck with D-link of all people; they have a fairly inexpensive 16-port managed switch that I've installed in the past with success.

E: This one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127351
Or 24-port variant: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833127356

As far as the HDMI-over-cat5 baluns, I don't have any reason to suspect that they suck. All HDMI cables are inside are shielded twisted pair anyway. If you are using UTP (which I assume you are) it's probably still fine, although I don't have direct experience with them.

Raluek fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Apr 17, 2015

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I got a 24 port HP unmanaged switch for not very many ausbucks not long ago and according to my tech head brother it's pretty much enterprise grade guts in a cheaper chassis and no management

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Mat_Drinks posted:

Star Wars chat I just started reading the EU novels beginning with 'The HAN SOLO Adventures'

Why would you subject yourself to that kind of mental abuse? The EU is just sooooooooo bad

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Cat Terrist posted:

Why would you subject yourself to that kind of mental abuse? The EU is just sooooooooo bad

It can be, but the Jedi Search trilogy is the fuckin poo poo. So are Thrawn trilogy and the duology also written by Timothy Zahn. I've read I think the entire EU and I'm totally the coolest dude I know.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Double post.

Anyone ever used those HDMI extenders that run over CAT5e? Since I'm doing so much wiring anyway, I'm giving serious thought to (a) installing a recessed power outlet behind the TV and (b) running HDMI from a wall jack behind the desk up to the TV. I have just enough romex left, and I'm going to have several hundred feet of cat5e left over once I'm done.

It's a 720p TV.

HDMI is a fickle bitch even with proper cables. I couldn't get poo poo to happen with an extender going ~25' from my electronics closet to the projector. Even cables gave me fits. After a couple years of putting up with bullshit, weird connection issues, I finally found a good cable a few years back and it's been working great since.

It's a crapshoot.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Taco Box posted:

It can be, but the Jedi Search trilogy is the fuckin poo poo. So are Thrawn trilogy and the duology also written by Timothy Zahn. I've read I think the entire EU and I'm totally the coolest dude I know.

I'll agree with the Thrawn trilogy and it certainly kick started Star Wars popularity once again quite rightly - but Jedi Search? gently caress NO, that was awful!

I guess "I, Jedi" isnt too bad and Rouge Squdron had some readable stuff. However Anything by Kevin J Anderson isnt worth wiping my rear end with, poo poo like the Sun Crusher was an insult to the intelligence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Double post.

It's a 720p TV.

We use Extron senders at work as the other stuff we've tried can be hit or miss, mostly miss. These are good for 100m of Cat5 and a variety of resolutions though will only do 1080p up to 30m like a lot of them.

• Locked thread