Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Thesoro posted:

it is against leap rules for the public to enter the leap bus. the fine is $6 and includes free wifi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

born on a buy you
Aug 14, 2005

Odd Fullback
Bird Gang
Sack Them All
i had to enter hours when working at a digital agency so they could accurately bill the clients. a majority of our projects during my time there were fixed bid so it was mostly a track of why we were over budget. turns out fixed bid projected without fixed scope rarely make money

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Stringent posted:

is this kind of poo poo ever useful to anyone?

short answer : no
long answer : nooooo

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
fun yospos timesheet story: i'd always bullet all the stuff i worked on when filling out my timesheets and apparently the - chars i used were breaking the spreadsheets our system would output for the project managers and whoever else read them. i was just put on a new project a few weeks ago and the PM told me to knock it off almost immediately. i've been bulleting my timesheets for over a year now and he was the first person to actually notice

lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Necc0 posted:

short answer : no
long answer : nooooo
i assume its grist for the mill for reports that management and hr and next years budgets look at

"total billables were 109324 hours, of which 22.41% were committed to project chome, an increase of 7.3% over the previous reporting period. next slide please"

same reason that businesses pay big money for gartner reports - just the ability to point to concrete numbers gives them a sense of being in control of things

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

g

Mido posted:

there's no way that'll hold up

That poo poo is a golden test for libertarians because they well and truly believe with firm conviction that anything in a legalish-looking document is absolute law, ipso facto, ergo sum.

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
when I worked at ea I had to use a time sheet system and so I did and would put in my OT and everything else and it would always go through with no questions.

then one day I get an email from a marketing guy over in Sports who is like "hey man, I'm leaving in 2 weeks and I won't be able to approve your time sheets anymore"

and I'm like "who the gently caress is this, my director approves my time sheets"

nope. this guy had been blindly approving time sheets for months for an employee he had never heard of. and my director also didn't say anything either.

hosed up

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

qirex posted:

by entering this hotline server you are certifying that you are not a law enforcement officer and that you will delete any downloads after 24 hours

Only registered members can see post attachments!

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe

born on a buy you posted:

i had to enter hours when working at a digital agency so they could accurately bill the clients. a majority of our projects during my time there were fixed bid so it was mostly a track of why we were over budget. turns out fixed bid projected without fixed scope rarely make money

i was talking to one pm a while ago and he mentioned that the number of fixed priced contracts that make money was astronomically low. i don't remember the actual number but i think it was 10% or less. gotta make dem sales i guess.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have a client that issued a PO for our base labour estimate but insists on manually approving timesheets weekly anyway. he has no idea what we're doing or how it's done, but he needs to manually approve it every week.

now he's trying to find ways to bring some in-house people with no knowledge of the systems in on the project to "speed things up". not that anything is behind schedule, he just seems to think throwing more bodies in there will somehow reduce our hours.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Necc0 posted:

fun yospos timesheet story: i'd always bullet all the stuff i worked on when filling out my timesheets and apparently the - chars i used were breaking the spreadsheets our system would output for the project managers and whoever else read them. i was just put on a new project a few weeks ago and the PM told me to knock it off almost immediately. i've been bulleting my timesheets for over a year now and he was the first person to actually notice

lol

lol

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

climb in bros, come inside me

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I have no idea who approves my time sheets but I know it's none of my managers

I spend at least 25% of my day reading the forums and easily get everything done that I need to by 4 so who cares

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

an investigation at my work found like a few dozen people out of ten thousand were saying they worked hours but not getting any work done for weeks at a time. that's pretty good percentages really but lol try telling that to the republican congressman who sees his chance to slam government employees some more.

so because their supervisors were too lazy to properly document it and fire their asses all of us get a time sheet crackdown. not only do I have to fill out a time sheet each pay period but at the beginning of every single day I have to fill out how much I expect to work that day. any discrepancies between the two have to be answered for.

lol we are wasting tens of millions of dollars worth of employee and management time to save a few hundred thousand at the most assuming they actually fire the underperforming employees.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
just goes to show, never fill out questionnaires, ever

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the company I work for seems to be one of those wacky places that's strict on everyone other than people who do a code, in which case you can apparently get away with murder

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Luigi Thirty posted:

the company I work for seems to be one of those wacky places that's strict on everyone other than people who do a code, in which case you can apparently get away with murder

there are two bars within office wifi distance. one is codename 'the bunker' one is codename 'fortress of solitude'

there's a third bar which is never to be mentioned in hipchat

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

yo that leap tos is pissing me off

I'm gonna write a tos that says I have a 15 inch dick and if anyone complains ilł sue the gently caress out of them

pointers
Sep 4, 2008

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

lol

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:chanpop:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

nobody cares about your timesheets, personally. the system is there so they can do larger scale resource planning

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

i dont even have to do timesheets anymore since i switched departments because projects only go into the timesheet system when the hardware & tooling is mostly finalized and now i mostly work on product planning type stuff

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

fart simpson posted:

nobody cares about your timesheets, personally. the system is there so they can do larger scale resource planning

right, but do these data ever get used in a meaningful fashion or provide a consistent/accurate base to plan off of? or is it more like, well we gotta have something to base this 3 month w.a.g. off of?

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Luigi Thirty posted:

99% of coders will do 99% of the final code needed in like 5% of the time spent on it

its a real problem that we have no idea how produce work at a constant rate

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Shifty Pony posted:

an investigation at my work found like a few dozen people out of ten thousand were saying they worked hours but not getting any work done for weeks at a time. that's pretty good percentages really but lol try telling that to the republican congressman who sees his chance to slam government employees some more.

so because their supervisors were too lazy to properly document it and fire their asses all of us get a time sheet crackdown. not only do I have to fill out a time sheet each pay period but at the beginning of every single day I have to fill out how much I expect to work that day. any discrepancies between the two have to be answered for.

lol we are wasting tens of millions of dollars worth of employee and management time to save a few hundred thousand at the most assuming they actually fire the underperforming employees.

Are you a patent examiner

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Stringent posted:

right, but do these data ever get used in a meaningful fashion or provide a consistent/accurate base to plan off of? or is it more like, well we gotta have something to base this 3 month w.a.g. off of?

my place used to have really detailed timesheets and then a few years ago they realised they weren't getting any value whatsoever out of all the data. so they abolished them and now we just have to not get caught slacking too blatantly. seems to work ok

it's a shame, my random timesheet generator was getting pretty good by the time they were abolished

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Soricidus posted:

it's a shame, my random timesheet generator was getting pretty good by the time they were abolished

hehe

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I'm a freelancer so I track time in order to get paid. On the plus side, if I wanna work on my own poo poo, I work on my own poo poo and log just to keep track of how it balances with billables.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

i haven't had to do a time sheet since i became a salaried employee

nobody even cares if i slack off all loving day as long as poo poo is done when it's due. thinking about taking a 2 hour lunch today just because

man this corporate tyranny sounds stupid

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Syncopated posted:

Are you a patent examiner

yup

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Stringent posted:

is this kind of poo poo ever useful to anyone?

my company uses it to bill customers and show that "yeah we really did do *stupid task* give us our $300/hr"

beyond that they don't care so I only fill in the billable stuff and they don't notice.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
http://sfist.com/2015/04/16/private_bus_service_leap_removed_wh.php

classy guys

disrupting the wheelchair economy

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Beast of Bourbon posted:

when I worked at ea I had to use a time sheet system and so I did and would put in my OT and everything else and it would always go through with no questions.

then one day I get an email from a marketing guy over in Sports who is like "hey man, I'm leaving in 2 weeks and I won't be able to approve your time sheets anymore"

and I'm like "who the gently caress is this, my director approves my time sheets"

nope. this guy had been blindly approving time sheets for months for an employee he had never heard of. and my director also didn't say anything either.

hosed up

I kinda imagine EA Sports is basically this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7u9hP4r1S8

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

my company uses it to bill customers and show that "yeah we really did do *stupid task* give us our $300/hr"

beyond that they don't care so I only fill in the billable stuff and they don't notice.

yeah, i meant strictly internal use, obviously billable hours need to be tracked.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wonder what the odds are that one of the serial ada litigants have already requested a ride, felt "humiliation, embarrassment, and emotional distress", and are just letting it sit for a bit to let memories of who they were fade in the minds of the bus driver and other passengers before filing their lawsuit.

probably nearing 100%

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

@aphyr is a pro follow

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

bobbilljim posted:

99% of coders will do 99% of the final code needed in like 5% of the time spent on it

this is mostly because the other 95% of the time is spent reading what it does now to even figure out what needs to be added

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

bobbilljim posted:

error checking is work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Shifty Pony posted:

wonder what the odds are that one of the serial ada litigants have already requested a ride, felt "humiliation, embarrassment, and emotional distress", and are just letting it sit for a bit to let memories of who they were fade in the minds of the bus driver and other passengers before filing their lawsuit.

probably nearing 100%
offensive

Stringent posted:

yeah, i meant strictly internal use, obviously billable hours need to be tracked.

with fixed hours available time tracking can be used to manage estimates and see if things are likely to go over or need more resources

• Locked thread