Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dave Brookshaw
Jun 27, 2012

No Regrets

Ferrinus posted:

Well, I don't really like how the game is shaping up, but I can't fault Matt's response to the leak. Good on him for not going all-in on the kind of "listen, it's JUST the beta, it's not AT ALL INDICATIVE of ANYTHING that-" stance that people often use to defend bad previews/demos/leaks/pre-expansion releases/whatever.

Here's what I want to know: what's the full story on the mysterious leaker trying to get a freelancer fired? Were they just trying to pass blame for the leak onto said freelancer, or did they think some specific portion of the freelancer's work was bad and that the leak would bring it to light, or what?

A freelancer who worked on Promethean volunteered to Storytell Beast in the invitational playtest and called for players online. One of the group then leaked it to get her in trouble. Don't know if it was an old grudge or simply for the lulz of it. Doesn't really matter - she's not in trouble.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Bizarre. Either way, kudos again to the WoD folks for handling it well. I gripe a lot about the actual revealed content, but I always appreciate the opportunity to gripe afforded to me by the team's overall transparency.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Ferrinus posted:

Bizarre. Either way, kudos again to the WoD folks for handling it well. I gripe a lot about the actual revealed content, but I always appreciate the opportunity to gripe afforded to me by the team's overall transparency.

:Exalted 3e's cover slowly slides upscreen into view:

(Agreed though, nicely done/thanks for the information)

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Suddenly all Beast playtests are cancelled and the release is indefinitely postponed.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
Wasnt that what litteraly happened to the WoD MMO? A day after pre-alpha images were leaked to 4chan, they shut down.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

There was a whole host of mismangement problems going on with the WoD MMO, though. I'm skeptical of the writing perspective being taken on a lot of the leaked preliminary material (though if these criticisms help guide the final product to a better position that'd be great), but not only is Matt's quoted response to the incident laudable and the right tack to take, but I'm certain he's not hanging over his writers' shoulders, shaking his head and saying "No, it needs to be more... fsssh!" and then just walking off without clarification, as reportedly happened at CCP with the MMO developers.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wasnt that what litteraly happened to the WoD MMO? A day after pre-alpha images were leaked to 4chan, they shut down.

No. The reason that the MMO got shut down was because it did not exist. It was, ironically, itself little more than a ghost whispered among internet denizens in hushed tones.

Also I get the impression the budget and/or manpower was squandered on EVE projects and constantly subjected to changing design goals, to the point where the few guys who were allowed to work on the project from start to painful finish often felt like they were doing a different game from week to week based on whatever argument the devs had the week before. Assuming an EVE expansion wasn't coming out some time in the next 3 to 6 months and everybody wasn't poached to work on that instead.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

There's a really great Article that runs down the death spiral the WoD RPG ended up in. The short of it is that they had a Duke Nukem Forever-esque production cycle of constantly making and dumping code so nothing got done, and when EVE Online turned in a couple of bad quarters the MMO was shuttered to cut costs.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
For the best, too, with how poo poo it was turning out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My favorite thing about CCP's downward spiral was their CEO trying to defend the 70 dollar monocle by claiming that it was a fashion statement on par with wearing 1000 dollar jeans in real life. Then saying that not buying the monocle was on par with wearing thrift store clothing.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

What about the loving World of Darkness says 'MMO'?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Kurieg posted:

My favorite thing about CCP's downward spiral was their CEO trying to defend the 70 dollar monocle by claiming that it was a fashion statement on par with wearing 1000 dollar jeans in real life. Then saying that not buying the monocle was on par with wearing thrift store clothing.

My favorite thing about that was that it was all the fault of Ryan Dancey.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Mors Rattus posted:

Are you loving serious. That guy again?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Night10194 posted:

People pretending to be angsty badass loners?

Night10194 posted:

Are you loving serious. That guy again?

Who?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Guild drama is like LARP drama that you don't have to leave the house the couch for.

Fuckers were sitting on a goldmine.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

Mors Rattus posted:

Really, EVE's just lucky he hadn't had the time to refine his ideas to PFO levels. They would have paid 70 bucks for a monocle that could be lost if their ship got blown up, and then have to shell out more cash when they next went to the tailor to replace it.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Night10194 posted:

I dunno, the Secret World is pretty WoD-ish, and it's the best single player MMORPG out there.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

MonsieurChoc posted:

I dunno, the Secret World is pretty WoD-ish, and it's the best single player MMORPG out there.

Well, second=best. FFXIV's got a good thing going.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

From what little I know of him, he's basically a man that moves around from company to company coming up with bad ideas, forcing them into production, and then leaving someone else to salvage them into something workable while he moves on to the next projectCompany.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

A man with a staggeringly comprehensive record of ruining everything he manages that somehow continues to sucker people into giving him lots of money to do things for them. To give you an idea, he was the guy who came up with the 3.0 OGL, and is now working on the Pathfinder MMO.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Mors Rattus posted:

Well, second=best. FFXIV's got a good thing going.

Agreed on both counts.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Night10194 posted:

It was pitched before shutting down as also having Perma-Death if you pissed off the Prince of your city/server

Who was going to be a standard Player or something.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
So basically it would've been like a giant-rear end LARP only a million times worse.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
World of Darkness Online had nothing to actually do with the World of Darkness other than vampires and some clan names. It was pretty much the WoD version of Shadowrun for the XBox 360.

EDIT: They pretty much wanted to make the Matrix Online without actually reading about the Matrix Online. It was like some fan project and it blows my mind how an established corporation could be that loving incompetent.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

World of Darkness Online had nothing to actually do with the World of Darkness other than vampires and some clan names. It was pretty much the WoD version of Shadowrun for the XBox 360.

Well, that's insofar as World of Darkness Online could be said to be or have anything- it was really never anything at all beyond a super-early tech demo.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
This is a good rundown from the games industry development side of it: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/jun/05/world-of-darkness-the-inside-story-mmo-ccp-white-wolf

Stallion Cabana posted:

It was pitched before shutting down as also having Perma-Death if you pissed off the Prince of your city/server

Who was going to be a standard Player or something.

The impression you get from the article is of a game where the Ideas Guys had all these systems like permadeath and diablerie in mind but no clear sense of how it all fit together in an actual product. When I was following what little news was trickling out, I remember reading individual bylines like "players can be both vampires and mortals, and be turned in game!" and "we'll cater to LGBT players with in-game gay clubs!" but not having any picture of like "what is this game? what do you do when you play?"

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

Well, that's insofar as World of Darkness Online could be said to be or have anything- it was really never anything at all beyond a super-early tech demo.

When it wrapped, they had an early alpha client and had active testing for employees and family.

The leaks mentioned before didn't happen until after the project was canned. The project was canned because they pumped money and resources into that thing for 5 years and didn't get poo poo back, not because of the leaks.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

When it wrapped, they had an early alpha client and had active testing for employees and family.

The leaks mentioned before didn't happen until after the project was canned. The project was canned because they pumped money and resources into that thing for 5 years and didn't get poo poo back, not because of the leaks.

I'm not saying the leaks had anything to do with it, I'm saying they didn't produce anything worth producing in half a loving decade.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

I'm not saying the leaks had anything to do with it, I'm saying they didn't produce anything worth producing in half a loving decade.

That second part was directed at other posts, not yours. The project from my understanding had moved into alpha testing outside the studio workshop in Atlanta and was playable to a greater extent than what was shown at Fan Fests. They had ironically gotten their poo poo together by the end to a degree.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

From what I heard it had entered alpha multiple times but it was barely recognizable as a world of darkness game. Someone described diablarie as eating their corpse whole to gain their power. Another alpha had a functional parkour engine like Assassin's creed.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
To be fair, functional parkour would be loving amazing for people playing city Gangrel, Nosferatu, and Assamites.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

I'm entirely okay with the City Gangrel swapping in Obfuscate for Fortitude; urban survival via blending in rather than just being tougher than everything else? Sure, makes sense. The lack of Animalism, though? Dumb. Celerity? Dumb. Animalism, Obfuscate, Protean, that I'm fine with. The invisible blender just sucks.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
The City Gangrel spread is really just 'gently caress Brujah', to be honest.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

The City Gangrel spread is really just 'gently caress, we're worse than Brujah.'

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

Kellsterik posted:

we'll cater to LGBT players with in-game gay clubs!" but not having any picture of like "what is this game? what do you do when you play?"

Also not convinced that people devolving sexless genderless predators of humanity getting their own Canal street is the right image for catering to homosexuals or anyone else for that matter

Ferrinus posted:

The City Gangrel spread is really just 'gently caress, we're worse than Brujah.'

They're only found in the Sabbat anyway so you're already in the embarrassing discipline lineup squad. I still give my old GM poo poo for letting his girlfriend play a kiasyd with thaumaturgy and it was 2009

Zombiejack fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Apr 17, 2015

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

That level of Mytherceria that's just Spirit's Touch except you actually eat the psychic residue and nobody else can Spirit's Touch the item afterward is pretty cool. I'd be cool with it replacing Spirit's Touch- introduces an abusable trust sort of thing.

Zombiejack
Jan 16, 2006
Nihil curo de ista tua stulta superstitione.

Pope Guilty posted:

That level of Mytherceria that's just Spirit's Touch except you actually eat the psychic residue and nobody else can Spirit's Touch the item afterward is pretty cool. I'd be cool with it replacing Spirit's Touch- introduces an abusable trust sort of thing.

I'd also deny them Obtenebration give them something else, potence maybe. I'd suspect study of the abyss when you're sort of fae is not a good thing, especially when you're already a sabbat vampire. Also gently caress clan disciplines in non-clans,.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Zombiejack posted:

Also not convinced that people devolving sexless genderless predators of humanity getting their own Canal street is the right image for catering to homosexuals or anyone else for that matter

They're only found in the Sabbat anyway so you're already in the embarrassing discipline lineup squad. I still give my old GM poo poo for letting his girlfriend play a kiasyd with thaumaturgy and it was 2009

Everybody got access to Thaumaturgy with Blood Magic and Blood Sacrifice. Good books, well-written, but kind of a nightmare balance-wise.

MalcolmSheppard
Jun 24, 2012
MATTHEW 7:20
From what I have been told the Guardian article talking to Nick Blood is pretty good. Honestly, I thought it was amazing nobody could design a version of diablerie with wide appeal. You loot a corpse for powers! But yeah, I remember when one of the deadlines passed, then another, and when tabletop stuff was changed for [REDACTED], and all kinds of nonsense that fortunately don't affect how OP rolls out books now beyond approvals.

Crion
Sep 30, 2004
baseball.
Nick...Blood? Nick Blood. There was a dude working on the WoD MMO named Nick Blood?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Did Fallen World Chronicle ever come out y/n