Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

SIR FAT JONY IVES posted:

You've never worked at a hedge fund, I take it. You don't tell a room full of 35 year old trust fund babies that each make 500k/year to turn off their monitors. You hire someone to come in and do it for them. When I supported their training floor, I had to be in at 730am, and go through a checklist of items before any of them came in to verify everything was good. First item on the list: turn on all the TVs and set them to CNNMoney and Bloomberg TV. If this was not done, there was an angry email sent to my manager.

Let me also clarify that these guys were actually really nice, and treated me very well and respectfully. They paid a premium white glove service. From an IT perspective, it was a really good place to work.They'd give me projects with no budget restrictions just an understanding that they wanted it done, and done right. They also had a fully stocked galley kitchen, catered lunches and dinners, and would often take me and the other IT consultants out to really nice dinners when they celebrated milestones in the funds performances.

Yes, these were the guys that asked me to beat down a door with a sledgehammer (lol misspelled before), and at $250/hour, I'd do it again in a second.

I worked at a law firm in IT, and it's like the poseur version of this. Every 25 year old lawyer thinks they're billing millions and the older lawyers split between massive assholes or guys who recognize they got a ton of money and stop being mad at the world and treat you well. They spend nothing on IT and demand the world. Fun game: when you're 18 and working there after a major natural disaster, you don't give a poo poo when nobody lawyer demands something absurd. You just tell him no and laugh in his face, because he can't get you fired and if he gets mad everyone just laughs at him because he doesn't bill poo poo yet.

As far as servers, if I was working those types of jobs I'd have my financial models running non-stop and a high end license of something like STATA can use a ton of resources which may make sense, but I always considered those enterprise wide solutions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

MJBuddy posted:

I worked at a law firm in IT, and it's like the poseur version of this. Every 25 year old lawyer thinks they're billing millions and the older lawyers split between massive assholes or guys who recognize they got a ton of money and stop being mad at the world and treat you well. They spend nothing on IT and demand the world. Fun game: when you're 18 and working there after a major natural disaster, you don't give a poo poo when nobody lawyer demands something absurd. You just tell him no and laugh in his face, because he can't get you fired and if he gets mad everyone just laughs at him because he doesn't bill poo poo yet.
This also applies to doctors. gently caress those guys. Especially when they are slow or unwilling to pay and then they have the balls to have a big sign in their lobby that says "PAYMENT MUST BE MADE TODAY FOR SERVICES RENDERED"

And they haaaate when you point the irony of that sign out to them.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Welp. Upper management is being steam rolled today. Wish me luck.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Haven't you worked there like an hour?

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

the spyder posted:

drat! You've been there what, 3 days?! Good luck!

FaintlyQuaint
Aug 19, 2011

The king and his men.
Grimey Drawer

the spyder posted:

Welp. Good luck!

Spazz
Nov 17, 2005

Finally done cleaning up the colossal shitstorm that started last month. Now I get to start at square one with about 15 escalations because the guy I took over for didn't take notes.

evol262 posted:

Implying people who seriously want sensitive information can't already get it from snooping any kind of keyboard, including wired and bluetooth.

This is going back several years, but the experience I had in desktop support was bluetooth only for positions that have access to sensitive information. It's been a while since that's been on my radar, nowadays I would just err on the side of caution and just do wired and make my office a faraday cage.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Spazz posted:

This is going back several years, but the experience I had in desktop support was bluetooth only for positions that have access to sensitive information. It's been a while since that's been on my radar, nowadays I would just err on the side of caution and just do wired and make my office a faraday cage.

You can also snoop wired remotely (~10ft, but through a wall works). If anyone's close enough to be worried about anything getting sniffed, you're already screwed, basically. Site security matters a lot more.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Haven't you worked there like an hour?

This. I thought this was a brand new gig?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

retard old guy configured a server and since he can't type or spell he called it MBSEVER

SEVER

So I used to work for a company locally that was often abbreviated as 3 letters, lets call it ABC. Back when they set up their NT domain and email, the doofus they brought in to do it called it ABCNTMAILDOMAIN, I poo poo you not.

Then when I did their migration to Win2k, it was taking a long time, so I told the other guy there that I would come in a few hours early to finish it up and to not touch anything, answer any questions or advance the process at all. Of course he ignored me, beat me there and did. So then, since this was the "Apps" server being upgraded and running DC duties, everything from then on was suffixed as apps.abc.com. Argh.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Brand new office fit out, client doesn't see a server room as important, everything's being wired into a cupboard.

:sigh:

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Thanks Ants posted:

Brand new office fit out, client doesn't see a server room as important, everything's being wired into a cupboard.

Ah yes, the Harry Potter school of network infrastructure thought.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Dobby has no master. Dobby is a free elf!

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Thanks Ants posted:

At least they're bothering to give it its own enclosed area.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Inspector_666 posted:

Maybe they think that heat isn't a problem for computers as long as there isn't enough oxygen to allow ignition.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Moey posted:

This. I thought this was a brand new gig?

It is. I've escaped thus far with just a slightly unclear idea of who I actually will be reporting to/exact job duties. CIO talked a lot, now it's time to see if he lives up to his word. In other news, I start traveling next week and visiting our sites.

Side note:
Ordered a Surface Pro 3, since I'm going to be traveling. I'll be interested to see what it's like.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Inspector_666 posted:

I helped setup a server for a small sized data-recovery company in NYC. This was in the business office, not the lab, but they had the server rack, with maybe eight servers, right in the regular cubicle area. The rack was horribly noisy, and all the cables for power and network ran across a walking area with a piece of carpet over them. It was a daily occurrence that someone would trip over it. They also stacked a bunch of tall plants around it, to hopefully drown out the noise, but they fans on the servers would suck in the leaves and block themselves and the servers would die. It was a nightmare.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

the spyder posted:

It is. I've escaped thus far with just a slightly unclear idea of who I actually will be reporting to/exact job duties. CIO talked a lot, now it's time to see if he lives up to his word. In other news, I start traveling next week and visiting our sites.

Side note:
Ordered a Surface Pro 3, since I'm going to be traveling. I'll be interested to see what it's like.

I'm a fan. Mousepad is still crap, consider a Bluetooth mouse to go with it (since you only have one USB port).

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

So not only does Hyper-V Client break VirtualBox, but merely having it installed fucks c-states and p-states and screws with your BCLK apparently. I had it installed for a bit, and when I did, my CPU was locked at 3.60 GHz (on a 39x multiplier), CPU-Z was reporting the bus base speed as 92 MHz (not 100 MHz), and my average temperatures were spiking (presumably because of the complete lack of c- and p-states).

Uninstalled, temps are down, p-states work, CPU is actually running at a max of 3.90 GHz.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

the spyder posted:

Side note:

I like the SP3 well enough, but I don't like the fact it's so complicated to image the drat things.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

skooma512 posted:

I like the SP3 well enough, but I don't like the fact it's so complicated to image the drat things.

Yeah, they're definitely a pain in that department.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Kazinsal posted:

So not only does Hyper-V Client break VirtualBox, but merely having it installed fucks c-states and p-states and screws with your BCLK apparently. I had it installed for a bit, and when I did, my CPU was locked at 3.60 GHz (on a 39x multiplier), CPU-Z was reporting the bus base speed as 92 MHz (not 100 MHz), and my average temperatures were spiking (presumably because of the complete lack of c- and p-states).

Uninstalled, temps are down, p-states work, CPU is actually running at a max of 3.90 GHz.

Minor Hyper-V gripe: Cisco Anyconnect detects Enhanced Sessions as RDP sessions and will forcibly disconnect you unless you're connecting to the client as a basic session.

skooma512 posted:

This x1000. Imaging them isn't too bad, but I'm still having loads of issues with WinRE and Bitlocker playing nicely.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003
Fuckin' bitlocker on the surfaces. Man. I had to set up 12 of those fuckers for our Board, with bitlocker. I had to fight management to get them encrypted, then fight the machines themselves to actually implement the encryption. And then in the end it doesn't loving matter because our 84 year old board chair just writes down all his loving passwords on a piece of paper that he stores in the same bag as the Surface.

Decent machines though. I'd use one.

Swink
Apr 18, 2006
Left Side <--- Many Whelps
My firm's plan is to standardise on Surfaces. I am hesitant because Win8 still isnt good enough for my inbred staff to deal with and I'm putting all my faith in Win 10 being awesome.

Wrath of the Bitch King posted:

This x1000. Imaging them isn't too bad, but I'm still having loads of issues with WinRE and Bitlocker playing nicely.

Yeah, this is my issue. Has anyone got a working task sequence for this that they could post the xml for. Edit - MDT task sequence.

Swink fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 17, 2015

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Swink posted:

My firm's plan is to standardise on Surfaces. I am hesitant because Win8 still isnt good enough for my inbred staff to deal with and I'm putting all my faith in Win 10 being awesome.
I'm very sorry in advance.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Yeah I'd have to agree - the last couple of build have really not been encouraging.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Inspector_666 posted:

Kicker: Janitors also have access to cupboard

QUIT STACKING poo poo ON OUR ROUTERS

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Swink posted:

Yeah, this is my issue. Has anyone got a working task sequence for this that they could post the xml for. Edit - MDT task sequence.

You. Are. Screwed.

Dudley
Feb 24, 2003

Tasty

Spazz posted:

Yup. When these guys are raking in millions for the company, they just want them as happy as possible or else they'll jump ship. I had a short term contract at a financial firm and one of their brokers created a several page report with numbers on how he would have increased efficiency if he had a second desktop with two monitors attached to it. He didn't want four monitors on one PC, he wanted two desktops and two monitors on each. He got what he wanted.

Overall I saw that the big earners on the floor treated the IT guys and lower rung people nicely as long as you did your job. It was the administrative assistants, middle managers, and financial analysts that treated IT like poo poo. Every time I ran into one of the big earners at the bar they would always buy a round for us.

I've found this too and it might just be they're just smart enough to know it's those people who might well be able to do you a favour later.

I was It support for some training sessions for a very, very large pharma company a decade ago and while they were training on some software we were installing it on all 60 of their laptops, it was taking forever because of some teething issues and we were all still there at 1am.

The VP of EMEA not only wondered in to see how it was going on but then went back out to god knows where and brought back drinks and snacks.

Another time some idiot user was having a loud go at one of us for something utterly inconsequential and she wondered up. The user ended up arguing with her and was even dumb enough to use some form of "Don't you know who I am? I'm the rep for the whole of Berkshire!" or some such. The reply came "Yes, and I'm your Boss's Boss's boss.".

I thought that kind of thing only happened in films.

Dudley fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 17, 2015

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
So what's the story on the recent Win 10 builds? I haven't been paying attention.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

So what's the story on the recent Win 10 builds? I haven't been paying attention.

Better than 8 but still pretty buggy.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

Dudley posted:

The user ended up arguing with her and was even dumb enough to use some form of "Don't you know who I am? I'm the rep for the whole of Berkshire!" or some such. The reply came "Yes, and I'm your Boss's Boss's boss.".

I thought that kind of thing only happened in films.

This is gold.

If I had witnessed this, I think it would make up for at least a decade of lovely users.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Tab8715 posted:

Better than 8 but still pretty buggy.

Is this really unexpected? We're still pretty early into the public beta thing, aren't we?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
I'm just feeling crabby, but pissing me off:
1. Executive makes mildly amusing joke.
2. Rooms full of teleconference people laugh as raucously as if Robin Williams just laid out his best line.

Look, people have different senses of humor, and it's fine to laugh politely, but sycophants are just annoying.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Pissing off today - spinning up a plain winserver vm in azure and half of the windows services crash upon my first login.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

So beyond pissed right now. Thought I had :yotj: out of my current nightmare job. Got an offer, official offer letter, start date, etc that I accepted. AFTER that they say they need to run a background check. I think that's weird they didnt ask for that ahead of time but whatever. I have good not great credit mid 700's, and no criminal record. I did however default on a student loan. I'm in repayment for it currently but it's still a negative on my report. Now they want to rescind the offer. What are my options here? At this point I dont even think I want to work for them anymore.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

Antioch posted:

Fuckin' bitlocker on the surfaces. Man. I had to set up 12 of those fuckers for our Board, with bitlocker. I had to fight management to get them encrypted, then fight the machines themselves to actually implement the encryption. And then in the end it doesn't loving matter because our 84 year old board chair just writes down all his loving passwords on a piece of paper that he stores in the same bag as the Surface.

Decent machines though. I'd use one.

We just started using some domain joined surfaces with a cellular modem. It works great. The bitlocker key
gets stored in AD and they are more easily integrated with our environment

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.
The problem I'm having is with generating a Recovery Key in the first place. It just won't do it without violently making GBS threads itself in the process. You can create a TPM Only or Recovery Password Bitlocker enablement with no issues, but if you want a traditional RecoveryKey file with export? Not happening.

The WinRE materials will port over to the EFI partition with no issues as part of the process but after that its a hard stop.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

BaseballPCHiker posted:

So beyond pissed right now. Thought I had :yotj: out of my current nightmare job. Got an offer, official offer letter, start date, etc that I accepted. AFTER that they say they need to run a background check. I think that's weird they didnt ask for that ahead of time but whatever. I have good not great credit mid 700's, and no criminal record. I did however default on a student loan. I'm in repayment for it currently but it's still a negative on my report. Now they want to rescind the offer. What are my options here? At this point I dont even think I want to work for them anymore.

They are idiots and you should just walk away. Maybe tell them that they are idiots, but in a professional way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

lampey posted:

We just started using some domain joined surfaces with a cellular modem. It works great. The bitlocker key
gets stored in AD and they are more easily integrated with our environment

Ha ha ha ha ha, AD joining. No, if I joined these to the domain then the board would have to abide by our password policy and that means Password15 or Sprinkles (it's my cat's name!) wouldn't work as passwords and THAT, well, that's not something we're willing to do because if your Board isn't happy then nobody is happy.