Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Wasn't the "Mwahaha we are so evil we want to kill all the jews and drink their spinal fluid bwahaha" clause of the hamas charter phased out a while ago or am I just misremembering things?

Either way it comes up all the time as a justification for all the sinister poo poo the state does to palestinians. What happened to "actions, not words"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

manul

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

I approve this post.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

murphyslaw posted:

Wasn't the "Mwahaha we are so evil we want to kill all the jews and drink their spinal fluid bwahaha" clause of the hamas charter phased out a while ago or am I just misremembering things?

Either way it comes up all the time as a justification for all the sinister poo poo the state does to palestinians. What happened to "actions, not words"?

hamas leadership has claimed that the charter is "a piece of history and no longer relevant, but cannot be changed for internal reasons". later hamas documents and statements have clearly contradicted the charter in many places including its position on israel.

if youre pro-palestine this means hamas has abandoned the positions stated in the charter long ago and are clearly paragons of peace and harmony now, but kept the charter around because ?????. if you're pro-israel, this means that the charter is still true and therefore everything they say that contradicts it is a dastardly lie meant to lure israel into a false sense of security, but luckily the stupid muslims are torpedoing their own lies by keeping around documentation of their real intentions because ?????.

the real answer is probably somewhere in the middle - hamas has both violent factions and pragmatic factions, and while the pragmatic factions currently dominate policy overall and base their foreign policy around reality rather than fantasy, they need to keep some non-flowery rhetoric around to keep the violent factions in line. the charter, as a historical document the violent faction had an obvious hand in creating and which already exists, is a particularly convenient since it doesnt dictate current policy and they dont have to write anything new.

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR
Hamas still has to run a functioning government in Gaza, after all. They have to worry about elections just as much as Bibi in the Knesset.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Main Paineframe posted:

hamas leadership has claimed that the charter is "a piece of history and no longer relevant, but cannot be changed for internal reasons". later hamas documents and statements have clearly contradicted the charter in many places including its position on israel.

if youre pro-palestine this means hamas has abandoned the positions stated in the charter long ago and are clearly paragons of peace and harmony now, but kept the charter around because ?????. if you're pro-israel, this means that the charter is still true and therefore everything they say that contradicts it is a dastardly lie meant to lure israel into a false sense of security, but luckily the stupid muslims are torpedoing their own lies by keeping around documentation of their real intentions because ?????.

the real answer is probably somewhere in the middle - hamas has both violent factions and pragmatic factions, and while the pragmatic factions currently dominate policy overall and base their foreign policy around reality rather than fantasy, they need to keep some non-flowery rhetoric around to keep the violent factions in line. the charter, as a historical document the violent faction had an obvious hand in creating and which already exists, is a particularly convenient since it doesnt dictate current policy and they dont have to write anything new.

To simplify: the charter itself doesn't affect their actions in any real way, what they're going to do is going to be dictated by internal politics and the external situation. However, changing the charter would essentially tick off an internal political battle between the wings of the party: it would be a proxy battle for who is in charge. There is no reason for them to start such an internal fight without a reason: they won't get anything if they change the charter. Presumably if an actual peace deal was offered that included changing the charter they'd be willing, because the peace deal itself would be ticking off that exact same battle so you can just change the charter at the same time, and peace would have a visible benefit for going through that battle.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Job Truniht posted:

Hamas still has to run a functioning government in Gaza, after all. They have to worry about elections just as much as Bibi in the Knesset.

No they don't.

Main Paineframe posted:

Just as a quibble, the division isn't between violent and pragmatic factions (because all HAMAS factions are violent) but between factions who want to destroy Israel and those who are willing to settle for an Independent Palestine.

Groen
Oct 7, 2008
Like the settlements weren't bad enough already : http://www.hrw.org/news/2015/04/13/israel-settlement-agriculture-harms-palestinian-children-0

Time for a boycott ?

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
There are already significant boycotts of settlements.

My Imaginary GF
Jul 17, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Groen posted:

Like the settlements weren't bad enough already : http://www.hrw.org/news/2015/04/13/israel-settlement-agriculture-harms-palestinian-children-0

Time for a boycott ?

Oh come on, those working conditions are par for the developing world. Palestine is clearly developing world, while Israel is a developed nation; these facts cause great resentment within the Palestinian communities, as they feel entitled to the benefits of development without the sense of responsibility towards the capital accumulation necessary in order to achieve self-sufficient growth. These Israeli practices should be lauded as a model for sustainable growth in the developing world, not have their effort derailed by providing tinder for antisemites the region over.

This human rights watch organization, how are they funded, again?

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
You can't accumulate capital or achieve self-sufficient growth when someone is stealing your land, resources, taxes and freedom. This should be pretty obvious. See, people who are against apartheid are generally against colonialism too. I don't know if it's apparent if you adhere to Jewish supremacism.

DarkCrawler fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Apr 14, 2015

Fizzil
Aug 24, 2005

There are five fucks at the edge of a cliff...

Child labor is alright, most the world does it, why single out Israel?! :v:

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Fizzil posted:

Child labor is alright, most the world does it, why single out Israel?! :v:

Most of the world does it to their citizens, Israel employs its colonial subjects.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

My Imaginary GF posted:

Wow, calm down with the antisemitic dogwhistles, dude.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Amnesty International? Heh more like Antisemitry International am I right?

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

My Imaginary GF posted:

these facts cause great resentment within the Palestinian communities, as they feel entitled to the benefits of development without the sense of responsibility towards the capital accumulation necessary in order to achieve self-sufficient growth.

Please explain how you accumulate capital in an occupied state that confiscates taxes and prohibits both external and internal investment.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Apr 14, 2015

Ultramega
Jul 9, 2004

I'm still waiting for theimmigrant or kaal to explain how those magical apartments that palestinians can let to israelis are going to be built when they can't manage to rebuild a single demolished house.
I'm going to be waiting for a while I imagine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Why don't all these plantation workers offer to do paid work for their masters?

Disinterested
Jun 29, 2011

You look like you're still raking it in. Still killing 'em?

Lum_ posted:

Please explain how you accumulate capital in an occupied state that confiscates taxes and prohibits both external and internal investment.

You kill people so that the capital concentrates. The black death was great for proto-capitalism!

Svartvit
Jun 18, 2005

al-Qabila samaa Bahth

My Imaginary GF posted:

Oh come on, those working conditions are par for the developing world. Palestine is clearly developing world, while Israel is a developed nation; these facts cause great resentment within the Palestinian communities, as they feel entitled to the benefits of development without the sense of responsibility towards the capital accumulation necessary in order to achieve self-sufficient growth. These Israeli practices should be lauded as a model for sustainable growth in the developing world, not have their effort derailed by providing tinder for antisemites the region over.

Mmh, yes, what a model. Developed nations should move their armies into underdeveloped nations, steal their most arable soil and their water reserves and use their population as cheap labor to fuel development at home. I know it sounds a lot like classic colonization but the difference is that ANTI-SEMITES.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Yeah, actually, gamers in the house forever,
and behold, a mottled horse

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I know MIGF is a troll gimmick account but come on, that last post was just too much. Claiming that the problem's exaggerated, or misrepresented, or bad but not so bad as Other Thing - those are the classic ways of deflection, but embracing an obviously horrible thing with transparent fakery cannot be believed as a sincere attempt to win over critics. Even other supporters of Israel would probably have to shy away from his response or disavow MIGF to be taken seriously.

At this point I have to believe his goal is actually to stir up distaste for Israel by portraying a caricature of an imperialist zionist, and otherwise muddy the waters of discussion to prevent actual Israel supporters from presenting their case since everyone's too busy knocking over his straw man. Even someone who held such reprehensible beliefs would know to camouflage them better and save the really reprehensible stuff for the base when outsiders aren't listening.

Dolash fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 16, 2015

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
You'd think that, but just today Arutz 7 posted that labelling goods that originate from settlements is literally the Holocaust

http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/194163#.VTBInSHBzRY

quote:

In response, a senior Israeli diplomat told the EU "labeling products from Judea and Samaria is a yellow badge," referencing the "Jude" stars the Nazis forced Jews to wear during the Holocaust. Thursday marks Holocaust Remembrance Day.

In comparison, MIGF saying things like "colonialism and child labor is a good deal for the little barbarians" is pretty mild.

Lum_ fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Apr 17, 2015

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Ultramega posted:

I'm still waiting for theimmigrant or kaal to explain how those magical apartments that palestinians can let to israelis are going to be built when they can't manage to rebuild a single demolished house.
I'm going to be waiting for a while I imagine.

Israelis aren't going to be interested in leasing magical apartments in the first place. That'd be a terrible idea. Palestinians should just sell the land in a mix of private and public land deals, and then resettle in Egypt or Lebanon. Israel could pay way above the market rate and it'd still be cheaper than continuing an endless war - heck the US would probably be happy to provide plenty of the money itself in the form of no-interest loans, and it'd be a lot easier to figure out resettlement issues with the surrounding nations when the candidates aren't penniless refugees.

Average annual income in the West Bank and Gaza Strip is less than $2,000, and there's 4.5 million people living there. It would cost Israel $225 billion to pay each and every one of them $50,000 - 25 years income - for their land. And for the vast majority of Palestinians their land consists of hardly anything at all. For the few wealthy members with lots of land and government connections, they could pursue a private sale or simply not sell at all. All parties get what they need in a modern Louisiana Purchase.

This is, in fact, precisely the kind of market process that was going on 80 years ago, before radicals decided that they preferred bloodshed. Eventually this will be the peaceful resolution to the problem simply due to the financial realities, but since it remains politically nonviable it'll probably be another few decades before it happens.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Apr 17, 2015

Job Truniht
Nov 7, 2012

MY POSTS ARE REAL RETARDED, SIR

Patrick Spens posted:

No they don't.

Yes they do. According to zionists, these terrorists just come out of the womb of an anti-semite. In reality, these bodies have to keep themselves functioning. You really think these guys don't have to deal with elections, government budgets, and social outreach? This is also is/was true for Hezbollah. They're far too elaborate at this point to be called terrorist organizations.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

Job Truniht posted:

Yes they do. According to zionists, these terrorists just come out of the womb of an anti-semite. In reality, these bodies have to keep themselves functioning. You really think these guys don't have to deal with elections, government budgets, and social outreach? This is also is/was true for Hezbollah. They're far too elaborate at this point to be called terrorist organizations.

Well, Hamas doesn't deal with elections—or a budget!—any more, though it really was Abbas who ended Palestinian democracy in the first place.

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Hamas had to deal with elections right up until Israel made elections effectively impossible.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009

Kaal posted:

resettle in Lebanon

There was a 15 year civil war over this, it's not going to happen.

eSports Chaebol
Feb 22, 2005

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Hamas had to deal with elections right up until Israel made elections effectively impossible.

Not really though, Abu Mazen beat them to the punch when he appointed Salam Fayyad by Royal Prerogative.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

hypnorotic posted:

There was a 15 year civil war over this, it's not going to happen.

Well certainly some would want to go to Lebanon to join their families there, but even if Lebanon refused any UN sweeteners and rejected a wave of middle-class immigrants, there'd be plenty of countries who wouldn't. Talk to Jordan, heck talk to Iran. I'd say that there's a good chance that using money to resolve the issue would be more effective than rockets and missiles. Certainly it would be better for the average Palestinian who just wants to send their kids to school, have a decent and safe place to live, and a job that can support a good life. None of those things are really in the offing for them right now, unless they're willing to get involved in the militia politics.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:34 on Apr 17, 2015

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006
Aside from the political issues (no Arab country will let Palestinians resettle en masse in their own countries to make Israel's colonization efforts easier, that is why they are still in refugee camps throughout the region generations after the 1948 war) there's the minor problem that ethnic cleansing of an occupied people is technically a war crime.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Lum_ posted:

Aside from the political issues (no Arab country will let Palestinians resettle en masse to make Israel's colonization efforts easier, that is why they are still in refugee camps throughout the region generations after the 1948 war) there's the minor problem that ethnic cleansing of an occupied people is technically a war crime.

Arab countries don't do anything about their refugee camps because the refugees are dirt poor and have nothing to offer the government that hasn't already been stolen from them. The governments don't want to take responsibility for those people since they see them as a liability. There's a big difference between that and a group that has a bunch of wealth and resettlement oversight backed by the international community. And buying land at hugely inflated prices and offering to resettle them hardly sounds like a war crime to me.

Compare that outcome with the probable outcome of the status quo: Two or three more generations of low-level warfare, continued erosion of the Palestinian people, culture and economy, inexorable expansion of Israeli settlements and walls, decades of regional tension and international conflict, and the eventual resolution of the conflict as Palestine simply becomes a permanent UN aid camp. I'd say that the problems of using money to resolve the conflict seem much more manageable in that perspective. I wish it had been done back the 1930s, and I wish that it were done now.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Apr 17, 2015

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
Well, if there's one thing you can count on in the Middle East, it's a willingness to put aside prejudice and sectarian grudges in order to embrace a sensible solution that benefits all parties.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
So you see all of the folllowing things being feasible:

A) Israel is going to pay the equivalent of its annual GDP to Palestinians
B) Palestinians are going to dismantle their national identity
C) And not give a poo poo about their homes and communities
D) And accept some lump sum regardless of amount of ownership
E) And somehow Arab countries are going to accept millions of people in and let go of all the ideological issue.

Probable outcome is a single state or two state solution imposed on Israel wheb US abandons the conflict. Palestinians aren't going anywhere, Israel isn't willing to pay for anything they can steal.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Kaal posted:

Arab countries don't do anything about their refugee camps because the refugees are dirt poor and have nothing to offer the government that hasn't already been stolen from them. The governments don't want to take responsibility for those people since they see them as a liability. There's a big difference between that and a group that has a bunch of wealth and resettlement oversight backed by the international community. And buying land at hugely inflated prices and offering to resettle them hardly sounds like a war crime to me.

Compare that outcome with the probable outcome of the status quo: Two or three more generations of low-level warfare, continued erosion of the Palestinian people, culture and economy, inexorable expansion of Israeli settlements and walls, decades of regional tension and international conflict, and the eventual resolution of the conflict as Palestine simply becomes a permanent UN aid camp. I'd say that the problems of using money to resolve the conflict seem much more manageable in that perspective. I wish it had been done back the 1930s, and I wish that it were done now.

I'm sure that if the international community actually decided to pour funds into Palestinians (and the relocation thereof is a natural consequence, I guess?), they'd be better off, yes. I mean, if you could promote that kind of unity and goodwill towards Palestinians, that's really the only thing that could be done, yeah? It's not like it's the duty of the international community to prevent the war crimes that are currently being perpetrated against Palestinians. All we can do for them is commit more war crimes but with better intent, I swear.

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

i made a little "aww" noise when i saw these pictures

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

My neighbors won't accept my generous offer for their house, so I guess I have no choice but to murder them. God, they are just so unreasonable.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

VitalSigns posted:

My neighbors won't accept my generous offer for their house, so I guess I have no choice but to murder them. God, they are just so unreasonable.

For this analogy to work there would have to have been an offer made...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

As someone pointed out, Israel seems perfectly fine with just annexing whatever territory they want because the consequences are nonexistent.

• Locked thread