Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TopherCStone posted:

I'd never heard of that before, but it looks pretty solid. I'll have to give it a try, thanks for mentioning it!

Sure thing. Don't be put off by the license, either, it's free but you have to register for a free code. It's mostly to bring you back to the site where other guys make free software for highly specific needs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

taiyoko
Jan 10, 2008

WorkingStiff posted:

Try turning off your power management temporarily to see if it's that.

Along that same vein, try disabling USB selective suspend in the power plan and go into device management and disable power saving on the USB Root hub.

Also there is this. It discusses USB 3.0, but I've seen it with DisplayLink and KVM switches as well.

That is so weird but it seems half the problem is manufacturers cheaping out and not shielding their USB 3 stuff properly.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention

doctorfrog posted:

Sure thing. Don't be put off by the license, either, it's free but you have to register for a free code. It's mostly to bring you back to the site where other guys make free software for highly specific needs.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has its own theme, which offends my spergy sensibilities.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Is there any decent software replacement for Fujitsu ScanSnap? I just got an oldish fi-6130 and every piece of Fujitsu's software is worthless as nothing I can actually get works in Windows 8.1. I can't even get their supposed Win 8/8.1 drivers to recognize the correct model number, it thinks it's a 5120c no matter what I do, which leads into other software not working, if it ever got an update past Vista.

I just mention scansnap since that's what people might recognize, that's like 3 years newer than this scanner and Fujitsu doesn't believe in selling software, just buy a new $400 scanner instead.

VueScan works somewhat, but the demo doesn't impress me as it can't even rotate pages correctly and the OCR is junk.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

TopherCStone posted:

The only thing I don't like about it is that it has its own theme, which offends my spergy sensibilities.

You can disable it. And even if you couldn't, the developer is super agreeable about adding options.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Can I load win7 on a laptop and ghost it to 4 other same model laptops?

I've used ghost a lot in the past but never with win7. not sure if there's any hangups there.

3 of these laptops will be used in the same house (i'll change the names) and will eventually have bitlocker full disk on in tpm mode if that makes a difference.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Vin BioEthanol posted:

Can I load win7 on a laptop and ghost it to 4 other same model laptops?

I've used ghost a lot in the past but never with win7. not sure if there's any hangups there.

3 of these laptops will be used in the same house (i'll change the names) and will eventually have bitlocker full disk on in tpm mode if that makes a difference.

If you use an OEM or volume key, I think you'll be okay. You should be using sysprep or something to change the SID, but I haven't seen that cause a problem in practice.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If you use an OEM or volume key, I think you'll be okay. You should be using sysprep or something to change the SID, but I haven't seen that cause a problem in practice.

I didn't even think about the activation, it will be oem key. I guess I'll try building the 1st one getting patches up to date and ghosting it to the others before I put the key and cert on.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Java is really starting to piss me off. It's of course disabled itself from running on Firefox, which is fine, except when I actually want to use a webpage that has a Java applet. There doesn't seem to be any way to allow it on this one loving page, and when I try to open the godforsaken Java control panel, I can only move or close it; clicking on any of the controls is useless. How the hell can I run this loving applet?!

Read
Dec 21, 2010

hooah posted:

Java is really starting to piss me off. It's of course disabled itself from running on Firefox, which is fine, except when I actually want to use a webpage that has a Java applet. There doesn't seem to be any way to allow it on this one loving page, and when I try to open the godforsaken Java control panel, I can only move or close it; clicking on any of the controls is useless. How the hell can I run this loving applet?!

https://www.java.com/en/download/help/jcp_security.xml
https://www.java.com/en/download/exception_sitelist.jsp

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

That would be all well and good if the loving control panel worked.

Read
Dec 21, 2010

Oh for some reason I thought you were opening the wrong control panel or something. I dunno then :( Reinstall Java...?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
I just did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 since I picked up some upgrades for my machine and did some parts transplanting. What are all the cool kids using for classic looking start menu?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
How often am I suppose to update firmware, drivers, Windows, etc? Coming from OS X where it's all just automatic and I don't have to think about it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
Same on Windows - anything you need will come through automatically.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Boris Galerkin posted:

How often am I suppose to update firmware, drivers, Windows, etc? Coming from OS X where it's all just automatic and I don't have to think about it.

Firmware: only if it claims to solve a problem you experience, and then only from the manufacturer's web site.

Drivers: Probably just the initial install, if Windows doesn't catch it on its own. Big exception here is graphics drivers, but those usually have an autoupdate mechanism, or at least something to tell you it's update time.

Windows: Updates automatically by default and you should keep it that way <<<:colbert:>>> unless you have old or oddball devices (or both) that are probably best off under a not-Windows environment (or were never a good choice for a computer at all - Intel pre-Sandy Bridge integrated graphics, so many drat cheap laptop gubbins, I'm looking directly at you). AND EVEN THEN only don't do automatic updates long enough to hide the offending driver updates and block automatic drivers in Advanced System Settings.

Other software usually comes with an autoupdate mechanism (or at least a place to check for updates), same as non-App Store Mac software. Still, there's a reason things like FileHippo and Secunia PSI exist.

This is a thing that Linux and iOS do a lot better a lot more often than just about anything else, for completely different reasons.

dont be mean to me fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Apr 17, 2015

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

hooah posted:

That would be all well and good if the loving control panel worked.

Run it as admin

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Boris Galerkin posted:

If you do a lot of gaming and have a nice graphics card, you'll want to update those drivers regularly. I haven't used AMD in years, but Nvidia has Nvidia Experience which downloads drivers for you and pops up saying they are ready to install. Everything else windows gets on its own like the others mentioned. If you aren't having an issue, you don't need to update anything besides Windows.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Roargasm posted:

Run it as admin

Hey, that made it responsive! Thank you so much!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

hooah posted:

Hey, that made it responsive! Thank you so much!

This infuriates me. They've had problems with non administration accounts for a decade, and they still haven't done anything about it.

Sun is poo poo.

beefnoodle
Aug 7, 2004

IGNORE ME! I'M JUST AN OLD WET RAG

Thermopyle posted:

This infuriates me. They've had problems with non administration accounts for a decade, and they still haven't done anything about it.

Oracle is poo poo.

FTFY. Sun went away (and took my wife's job with it) in 2010.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

beuges posted:

Is it a wireless mouse and is it plugged into a USB3 port, or do you have a USB3 device plugged into a USB3 port next to the wifi mouse dongle? I had terrible wifi connectivity in the room furthest from the wifi router for a while, and after researching, found out that USB3 creates interference with the 2.4GHz band that 802.11g and a lot of wireless keyboards use. I see it happening again now that I bought a new wireless desktop set with a dongle that uses the 2.4GHz band. If I plug the dongle into my USB3 port, mouse input is extremely erratic. If it's in the USB2 port then it's fine, but if I plug a USB3 flash drive into the USB port next to the dongle, the mouse stutters again until the flash drive is removed.

Actually it looks like it was a problem with having the mouse receiver plugged into the dock. I took it out and plugged it into the USB port on the back of the laptop and Im not getting the stuttering issue anymore.

I still have this stuttering issue with the sound when playing music, youtube videos stuff like that, but now I think thats a separate issue whereas I thought they were related.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

beefnoodle posted:

FTFY. Sun went away (and took my wife's job with it) in 2010.

I knew that, damnit.

I think the fixed version is more like "Sun was poo poo, and Oracle is poo poo."

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

8-bit Miniboss posted:

I just did a fresh install of Windows 8.1 since I picked up some upgrades for my machine and did some parts transplanting. What are all the cool kids using for classic looking start menu?

Classic Shell.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

spiralbrain posted:

Actually it looks like it was a problem with having the mouse receiver plugged into the dock. I took it out and plugged it into the USB port on the back of the laptop and Im not getting the stuttering issue anymore.

I still have this stuttering issue with the sound when playing music, youtube videos stuff like that, but now I think thats a separate issue whereas I thought they were related.

Dude - it would be helpful that you mention to people who are altruistically trying to help you from the other side of the internet that you are having this issue when using a dock and a wireless mouse, rather than making people think your problem is caused by your OS or particular notebook.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Roargasm posted:

Run it as admin

Alright, since that worked for the control panel, I also tried it when JabRef decided to be unresponsive, and it also perked up. Is there anything I can do so Java-based programs don't need administrative access?

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

I'm about to upgrade to 8.1 and I'm curious if there Is there a way to preform a clean install of 8.1 from 7 without having a disk or flashdrive?

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

hooah posted:

Alright, since that worked for the control panel, I also tried it when JabRef decided to be unresponsive, and it also perked up. Is there anything I can do so Java-based programs don't need administrative access?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9810Y7ZRw

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

YANSEE posted:

I'm about to upgrade to 8.1 and I'm curious if there Is there a way to preform a clean install of 8.1 from 7 without having a disk or flashdrive?

Not having a way to produce or use operating system installation media or live images is a huge unforced error on your part as the owner/user of a general-purpose computer.

That said, you probably could just download the Windows 8.1 Upgrade Assistant, plug in the key (don't buy it again if you already got a key), and let 'er rip, but without a Plan B (and also backing up any files you care about) it's impatient and ill-advised.

But if you want to start with a bare storage device and thus a clean Windows environment, no, because you have no place to put the installer or run it from - I don't know if you could safely turn an existing external backup drive (or drive with stuff it'd be a pain to re-rip/re-download) into a Windows install medium without losing the data but I DO know even if you could it'd be a bad idea.

TL;DR: Nope; get a flash drive already.

Implied Consent
Jul 6, 2006

YANSEE posted:

People who don't own any flash drives are on the same level as people who don't own any socks.

Buy some flash drives, they're cheap.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Question about IE:

I like my bookmarks in my bookmarks toolbar to be just the favicon for the website with no text, except in a few rare cases. IE doesn't seem to support this. Is there a way to do that or force IE to do that?

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

Question about IE:

I like my bookmarks in my bookmarks toolbar to be just the favicon for the website with no text, except in a few rare cases. IE doesn't seem to support this. Is there a way to do that or force IE to do that?

Mouseover any favorite on the favorites bar. Right click > Customize Title Widths >select Icons Only.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

YANSEE posted:

For a non douche answer, if you have two hard drives, you can make a small partition on one of them, copy the windows install files and boot off it. Then you just instruct the installer to install on the other drive.

There might be a few more steps involved but you can find a few in depth guides on Google about it.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 19, 2015

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

WorkingStiff posted:

Mouseover any favorite on the favorites bar. Right click > Customize Title Widths >select Icons Only.

That was easy enough, here's my other problem. It seems IE doesn't want to properly import Chrome's bookmarks, is there something I have to do to get them to import properly? Namely the bookmarks bar like I use.

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Gothmog1065 posted:

That was easy enough, here's my other problem. It seems IE doesn't want to properly import Chrome's bookmarks, is there something I have to do to get them to import properly? Namely the bookmarks bar like I use.

Eh, can you clarify? Export your Chrome bookmarks to HTML (Settings >Bookmarks >Bookmark Manager >Organize >Export Bookmarks to HTML file). Import the file into IE (Menu Bar >File >Import and Export >Import from a File). Then Favorites >Organize Favorites and drag& drop it however you want. There are also some third party Bookmark management programs, but I haven't used one in years so can't vouch for any of them. Hint: If you are really anal, you can edit the HTML files in Notepad++ or your favorite code editor and just copy & paste to get it exactly like you want it, since IE will alphabetize the contents of folders. Funny, IE still uses Netscape's bookmark format.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Medullah posted:

Is there any way to make, in Windows 7, Windows Media Center load on a second monitor, and load in a full screen windowed mode? Google is coming up with some pretty shady results involving 3rd party software.

Quoting myself - looking for recommendations on software to do this, if Windows can't do it by itself. I have to set my TV as the primary monitor when I connect my laptop to it in order to use media center without mirroring the display.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

Medullah posted:

Quoting myself - looking for recommendations on software to do this, if Windows can't do it by itself. I have to set my TV as the primary monitor when I connect my laptop to it in order to use media center without mirroring the display.

I can't remember the name, but I used to run some software that would run windowed video games as full screen. It identified the games by their .exe so it would probably be trivial to make it run on Media Center

m2pt5
May 18, 2005

THAT GOD DAMN MOSQUITO JUST KEEPS COMING BACK

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

I can't remember the name, but I used to run some software that would run windowed video games as full screen. It identified the games by their .exe so it would probably be trivial to make it run on Media Center

I use one right now called Windowed Borderless Gaming.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Is there a piece of software that can quickly and easily convert PNGs into Windows ICO icons? These, specifically (the Fugue icons): http://p.yusukekamiyamane.com/

These are mostly 16x16 PNG icons, which I'd ideally see converted into 32x, 48x, 128, 512x (etc.) ICO icons, all resized per-pixel with no blurring, and with all size options put into one file per image (ie. 16/32/48/etc into one .ico file).

Exists? Like something I can drag and drop into? It's not crucial, I just want a poo poo-ton of Windows icons from Fugue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

doctorfrog posted:

Is there a piece of software that can quickly and easily convert PNGs into Windows ICO icons? These, specifically (the Fugue icons): http://p.yusukekamiyamane.com/

These are mostly 16x16 PNG icons, which I'd ideally see converted into 32x, 48x, 128, 512x (etc.) ICO icons, all resized per-pixel with no blurring, and with all size options put into one file per image (ie. 16/32/48/etc into one .ico file).

Exists? Like something I can drag and drop into? It's not crucial, I just want a poo poo-ton of Windows icons from Fugue.

There are a ton of free web apps that do this. Google "ICO Converter" or "Favicon Generator".