Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Hot Fuzz just came up on Netflix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

Chichevache posted:

Knuckle and Senna both focus heavily on artists and how they practice their craft.

Edit
Whaddya know, they finally took both of those down.

That sucks that they removed Senna. I was actually planning to watch it this weekend since I just got a new TV. drat it.

To actually contribute something to this thread, they have the Star Trek animated series! I can't wait to see how horrible that thing is.

Ev fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Apr 16, 2015

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Amazon or Netflix on creativity and/or creative people. I'm trying to stay productive with my own pursuits, and watching documentaries about others really helps fuel my work ethic.

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
The Devil & Daniel Johnston
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Jack Kerouac: King of the Beats
Gonzo
Bukowski: Born Into This
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
Gigantic: A Tale of Two Johns
Greenwich Village: Music that Defined a Generation
No Direction Home
Exit Through The Gift Shop

I'd prefer a concentration on an individual, and their medium doesn't have to be specific, just something about creativity and the act of creating.

Beware of Mr Baker, about Ginger Baker, drummer for Cream (and many others). Although it's probably not quite what you're expecting. 20 Feet from Stardom too I guess. Both up on Netflix UK, dunno about the US

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Help me Netflix thread, you are my only hope!

I am watching The Dark Valley right now and I need more (the movie is decent so far, but not quite what I desire). Help me find something where a stranger or strangers show up to a town/city/future place/school and get involved with local goings on. Something like Yojimbo, Sukiyaki Western Django, Appaloosa, or A Fistful of Dollars. It doesn't have to be a western, but a shadowy figure/s must come in and gently caress poo poo up.

That Works posted:

All you uninitiated cunts best watch this movie.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

That Works posted:

Hell yeah.

Bad Boys 2 is up as well, but unfortunately not Point Break. You can't quite have the ultimate triple-feature.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

magnificent7 posted:

Then hells yes thank you. I can't wait. Soon as the brats are asleep.

So far I'm rooting for a child to be murdered by the Babadook. I don't know why but I always root for the monster in horror movies.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Franchescanado posted:

Are there any good documentaries on Amazon or Netflix on creativity and/or creative people. I'm trying to stay productive with my own pursuits, and watching documentaries about others really helps fuel my work ethic.

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Gonzo
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
No Direction Home

I'd prefer a concentration on an individual, and their medium doesn't have to be specific, just something about creativity and the act of creating.

Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan

Eggnogium
Jun 1, 2010

Never give an inch! Hnnnghhhhhh!

Franchescanado posted:

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Gonzo
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
No Direction Home

Not quite documentary but 20,000 Days on Earth is close enough and on Amazon.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Ray Harryhausen: Special Effects Titan

ooo drat, i'ma probably watch this now too

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Hell yeah.

Bad Boys 2 is up as well, but unfortunately not Point Break. You can't quite have the ultimate triple-feature.

During the course of the movie I discovered my wife was watched neither Point Break nor Bad Boys 2. Our marriage isn't going so well now.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Franchescanado posted:

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Gonzo
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
No Direction Home

Far Out Isn't Far Enough: The Tomi Ungerer Story: http://www.netflix.com/WiMovie/70261115 It's an _awesome_ documentary about Tomi Ungerer who was on the verge of being a supremely famous children's book author (Maurice Sendak got a lot of inspiration from him), but was blackballed from the children's book industry because he also did erotic artwork for museums on the side. Definitely worth a watch!

mod sassinator fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Apr 17, 2015

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I don't think a docu about a guy whose career basically died in the crib is a good choice for that

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I don't think a docu about a guy whose career basically died in the crib is a good choice for that

He wants a documentary that features work ethic; you don't think the documentary about a man who sacrifices a lucrative career for his art fits that bill because?

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
When I think "getting motivated to make stuff" I don't think of stuff about dudes who got nearly no recognition for making anything and were literally blacklisted from their preferred medium

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Franchescanado posted:

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Gonzo
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
No Direction Home

Three Stars - about Michelin starred chefs
Smash His Camera - a profile of noted paparazzo Ron Galella
Bill Cunningham New York - street fashion photographer Bill Cunningham. For a guy who runs around photographing women in public, he is not a huge creep.
30 For 30: You Don't Know Bo - Bo Jackson is, like, one of the greatest athletes
The Mind of Chef - PBS docu series about chefs and their process.
Somm - a profile of a few guys studying to become master sommeliers
Doin' It In The Park - Street basketball in NYC and how playground legends changed the game
Kings of Pastry - an insane French pastry competition
Brooklyn Castle - a profile of a public school in a poor part of Brooklyn with a formiddable chess team
Life Itself - the celebrated documentary about Roger Ebert

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

That Works posted:

Not only is this movie incredible, but it gives me hope that one day Shaun of the Dead will be on Netflix.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I wonder if we will hit a point where we won't just be at the whim of Netflix' selection. I wish they would do some sort of extended plan for around the cost of a DVD plan where maybe you could stream a limited amount of movies ( new releases/random stuff) that aren't normally offered. I'd pay a little extra for that. I don't know if that's realistic or not.

I guess that stuff is all available to rent through amazon anyways.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Franchescanado posted:

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Gonzo
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
No Direction Home

Just finished Showrunners which is about producing television. Fascinating stuff.

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
Just watched Winnebago Man on Netflix. If you've seen this ancient internet video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDQQfBrSUs0 (which you probably have), then it's a really good documentary.

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Just finished Showrunners which is about producing television. Fascinating stuff.

I also watched this and got a little frustrated with it. It felt like 90 minutes of people telling me why being a showrunner is difficult without ever actually demonstrating it.

Don't get me wrong, I have no trouble believing that it's an extraordinarily difficult job. But if everything is on fire constantly then show me a peek at that chaos. Let me see a concrete example or two, don't just cut away to another interview of another showrunner saying "Yeah, this job is nuts."

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

That Works posted:

my favorite movie of all time. Seriously the cornetto tril is some of the best comedy imho. :allears:

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

marktheando posted:

I pretty much just have Amazon for Vikings, I will no doubt cancel it when the current series finishes. But yeah it's not as good as Netflix, in terms of selection, and also the interface.
I started the Amazon Prime trial and got into this show, I really like it so far. It's something not really explored in movies or TV shows. Does it stay pretty good throughout the series?

dreadnought
Dec 28, 2006

:rolleyes:

Franchescanado posted:

A few examples:

Beauty is Embarrassing
Jiro Dreams of Sushi
Gonzo
The Scream Factory
The American Scream
Birth of the Living Dead
No Direction Home

I wish Marwencol were still up on Netflix, because that would fit what you're looking for very well. It's a documentary about a man who suffers severe amnesia and PTSD after a random bar attack, and creates a miniature WWII-era town called Marwencol as a coping mechanism. Really engrossing stuff, and strangely inspiring.

Viginti
Feb 1, 2015

dreadnought posted:

I wish Marwencol were still up on Netflix, because that would fit what you're looking for very well. It's a documentary about a man who suffers severe amnesia and PTSD after a random bar attack, and creates a miniature WWII-era town called Marwencol as a coping mechanism. Really engrossing stuff, and strangely inspiring.

Plus now we can all watch it and picture Steve Carell in the lead role, for some reason.

It's come up before but In the Kingdom of Dreams and Madness is a good inspirational doc. It's always encouraging to see the human process behind movies like Miyazaki's that I can never even imagine writing. It really shows that, talent levels and cardio aside, he writes just like anyone else. Plus he pokes a cat and climbs a tree.

Viginti fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 17, 2015

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

When I think "getting motivated to make stuff" I don't think of stuff about dudes who got nearly no recognition for making anything and were literally blacklisted from their preferred medium

Sorry Van Gogh doesn't inspire you, dude. :shrug:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That Works posted:

If you've never seen this, or even if you have, watch it. It's for THE GREATER GOOD.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
the greater good

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I started the Amazon Prime trial and got into this show, I really like it so far. It's something not really explored in movies or TV shows. Does it stay pretty good throughout the series?

Yeah, it's good stuff. If anything it gets better after a slow start with all the Gabriel Byrne stuff in the first season.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ooo drat, i'ma probably watch this now too

Probably seen every Harryhausen thing there is, but gently caress it.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

If you've never seen this, or even if you have, watch it. It's for THE GREATER GOOD.

the greater good

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Probably seen every Harryhausen thing there is, but gently caress it.

Seeing people like Cameron, Spielberg, Tippett, Muren, Jackson, and Dante going all fanboy on him is pretty :3:

(I have most of his stuff including the the puppetoons)

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Yarp.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Narp?

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Seeing people like Cameron, Spielberg, Tippett, Muren, Jackson, and Dante going all fanboy on him is pretty :3:

(I have most of his stuff including the the puppetoons)

My favourite part is the people who did loving alice in wonderland awful CGI dragon talking about how they were inspired by him

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

This man is in his mid-60s when the movie was shot. :allears:

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Spartacus is loving incredible. It's not as good as Rome, but it's so much more fun. Pretty much every actor is chewing scenery 24/7 and it's got enough blood sex and backstabbing to keep anyone entertained.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I guess I will give a different opinion, but I thought the show peaked in season 1 (mainly the 8th episode Sacrifice). I am currently caught up (well I haven't watched last night's episode yet), and I am 50/50 on it now (honestly I about don't care for it anymore). I just feel like it was better with a smaller scope, and now the scope is so big the stories that made the show good no longer matter. Still when they went to the Temple at Uppsala that was an amazing episode of television.

Sergeant_Crunch posted:

Spartacus is loving incredible. It's not as good as Rome, but it's so much more fun. Pretty much every actor is chewing scenery 24/7 and it's got enough blood sex and backstabbing to keep anyone entertained.

Rome is better, but Spartacus overall brought me a lot more joy (and laughs). It did suffer some when they left the ludus, and it just wasn't the same without Batiatus. Still it was a lot of fun.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

Chichevache posted:

Help me Netflix thread, you are my only hope!

I am watching The Dark Valley right now and I need more (the movie is decent so far, but not quite what I desire). Help me find something where a stranger or strangers show up to a town/city/future place/school and get involved with local goings on. Something like Yojimbo, Sukiyaki Western Django, Appaloosa, or A Fistful of Dollars. It doesn't have to be a western, but a shadowy figure/s must come in and gently caress poo poo up.
The Principal, The Substitute, Stand and Deliver, High School High, Only The Strong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010

nate fisher posted:

Rome is better, but Spartacus overall brought me a lot more joy (and laughs). It did suffer some when they left the ludus, and it just wasn't the same without Batiatus. Still it was a lot of fun.

Rome is brilliantly written, superbly acted, fantastically produced. Spartacus is not really any of those things, but there is absolutely no reason anyone should not enjoy both, because both are great TV.