Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The real reason you shouldn't use the word "human being" is because it's starts a series of arguments and poo poo jokes that have been played out a thousand times across SA.

Help Im Alive posted:

Does anyone want to talk about Wonderful 101

Yes, I've still to finish it but gently caress trying to pick up the game after even a week of not playing it and suddenly it's stone ranking everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Help Im Alive posted:

It is a good tweet and you shouldn't say human being

Does anyone want to talk about Wonderful 101

I found it a bit queer at first, but I had a gay time overall.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gas.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
Hey guys, I just got here and had a few pages to read and get caught up on...
:pwn:

Let's leave all this fag stuff for trash talk on Xbox Live servers.

In all seriousness, go watch the F word episode of South Park; it says all that can be said on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F_Word_%28South_Park%29

Back to Wii U stuff. Donkey Kong 64 is out on virtual console. I love that game and I love the DK Rap. I bought it and watched the DK Rap and I am better for having done so. I was afraid they'd censor it to "heck" but they didn't and kept the original use of the word "hell."

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

I've never played DK64. Has it aged well?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It wasn't even good when it came out.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

turn it on, hear "oo-kay", watch the monkey rap, turn it off. a++ 10/10

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Spectacle Rock posted:

In all seriousness, go watch the F word episode of South Park; it says all that can be said on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F_Word_%28South_Park%29

lmao

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

oddium posted:

I'll skip it then. What's Tropical Freeze like? What's it like two player also?

I'll rope the bf into it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

No idea about two player but Tropical Freeze is a great game, it's hard as balls though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

If it's as hard as the first game that's grand.
I should have really picked it up when it went on sale.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You can get it now from someone selling their Platinum reward. It usually floats around $20, but people on Reddit get desperate and sometimes go to prices like $15.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Luckily I ain't strapped for cash so i'll go pick up a copy at Gamestop after work.

E: Does it have a crazy bonus level like Returns did?

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Golden Goat posted:

Luckily I ain't strapped for cash so i'll go pick up a copy at Gamestop after work.

E: Does it have a crazy bonus level like Returns did?

If you clear all 6 K-levels during the main game, you unlock a secret world with three more bonus levels. Overall less levels than Returns, but higher quality ones imo.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

That sounds good.
But is it as weird as Returns was?
Is mirror mode back?

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I mean, I guess you could do that, but why would you spend more money

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

noirstronaut posted:

I mean, I guess you could do that, but why would you spend more money

Cause I'm loaded :homebrew:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Golden Goat posted:

That sounds good.
But is it as weird as Returns was?
Is mirror mode back?

The three final bonus levels all have that weird vibe the final Returns level did but in a different way. Lots of fish swimming in the air

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Golden Goat posted:

If it's as hard as the first game that's grand.
I should have really picked it up when it went on sale.

It's actually slightly easier than the first game, but that's mostly due to quality of life improvements like more checkpoints, more gameplay options, and no reliance on waggle. I think they strike a better balance in every conceivable way in Tropical Freeze, whereas the first game had parts that were just kind of annoyingly difficult for the wrong reasons.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Are there any more levels where you have to bounce across enemies to finish it. That bonus level in the first was impossible if you were playing two player.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

You are going to love Hoppolis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4xI1TJaUQs

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Are there any more levels where you have to bounce across enemies to finish it. That bonus level in the first was impossible if you were playing two player.

:getin:

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Jesus :negative:

This will end in one of the following ways:
A: I'll murder my boyfriend because he's not super pro at platformers
B: I'll skip this level in two player and do it myself
C: Force boyfriend to do all of it.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Apr 17, 2015

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
Buy it for $15 and then buy a new boyfriend with the remaining money

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

The rest of the game isn't nearly that bad, but maybe save the K levels for single player

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

If you want an awesome platformer that has pretty good coop do yourself a favor and grab Rayman Legends ASAP.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
uh buy 3d world

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Golden Goat posted:

If it doesn't threaten to end in the death of a loved one, or at least the relationship, it's not proper Nintendo multiplayer :allears:.

Saoshyant posted:

If you want an awesome platformer that has pretty good coop do yourself a favor and grab Rayman Legends ASAP.

Also seconding this. The only bad thing to say about Rayman Legends is I wanted more music levels :sigh:.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

noirstronaut posted:

uh buy 3d world
I wish I could play 3D World for the first time again. Easily in my top 3 Marios with Galaxy 1/2 and World on the SNES.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

noirstronaut posted:

uh buy 3d world
Have and have. Finished 100% and finished 100%. Everybody should buy both.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If it doesn't threaten to end in the death of a loved one, or at least the relationship, it's not proper Nintendo multiplayer :allears:.
I try not to get mad at video games but anything with even the slightest need to be synchronized with the other player makes me want to push him off the couch shouting "WHY, WHO BUBBLES WHEN THE OTHER PLAYER DIES!? WHYYYYY!?"

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

oddium posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

Gonna be the sole positive opinion here, game's got good music and is fun, a bit long but its an N64 Collect-a-Thon.

Also read the manual for the game, even the manual knows the game's got issues.

But hey, since NES games are $5 and you get the actually good Arcade Donkey Kong included think of it as paying $5 for an N64 game and $5 for an Arcade game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Golden Goat posted:

I've never played DK64. Has it aged well?

It's what I consider "peak collectathon 3D platformer." That is to say, there is way too much poo poo to collect. Even back when it was new I thought it was ridiculous how much stuff you had to collect, and how you had to cycle between different characters in order to collect more crap from the same stage. It really did feel like a chore at times.

That being said, I liked it better than Banjo-Tooie, the other example of "peak collectathon" whose biggest fault was that they gave you a billion moves and abilities, most of which weren't practical and were only used to grab one Jiggy or something a lot of the time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercury Crusader posted:

It's what I consider "peak collectathon 3D platformer." That is to say, there is way too much poo poo to collect. Even back when it was new I thought it was ridiculous how much stuff you had to collect, and how you had to cycle between different characters in order to collect more crap from the same stage. It really did feel like a chore at times.

That being said, I liked it better than Banjo-Tooie, the other example of "peak collectathon" whose biggest fault was that they gave you a billion moves and abilities, most of which weren't practical and were only used to grab one Jiggy or something a lot of the time.

I'd say Banjo-Tooie is far and away better than Donkey Kong 64, if only for not having to swap between Kongs repeatedly just to get five different sets of bananas for every level.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Banjo-Tooie is far and away better than Donkey Kong 64, if only for not having to swap between Kongs repeatedly just to get five different sets of bananas for every level.

At that point it's just subjective which bloated collectathon platformer we like.

I still think the original Banjo-Kazooie was the best game in that genre anyway.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
I've been doing a lot of reading up on Rare lately and it's crazy to think that Conker started development before Banjo but wasn't released until the N64 was pretty much dead. I get the whole Twelve Tales > Bad Fur Day thing but seriously, why the hell did it take so long to make?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercury Crusader posted:

At that point it's just subjective which bloated collectathon platformer we like.

I still think the original Banjo-Kazooie was the best game in that genre anyway.

Agreed, but I still personally like Tooie over Kazooie. Even if B-K's probably the better laid-out game of the two.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

I've been doing a lot of reading up on Rare lately and it's crazy to think that Conker started development before Banjo but wasn't released until the N64 was pretty much dead. I get the whole Twelve Tales > Bad Fur Day thing but seriously, why the hell did it take so long to make?

Banjo-Tooie and Perfect Dark probably got it pushed back.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
It was originally called Conker, but they couldn't figure out how to make his hair look right, so they just ended up giving up and calling it Conker's Bad Fur Day.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Agreed, but I still personally like Tooie over Kazooie. Even if B-K's probably the better laid-out game of the two.

Can we agree that near the tail end of the N64 collectathon days, they were getting bloated?

I still played the hell out of all of those games in any case, video games are fun.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mercury Crusader posted:

Can we agree that near the tail end of the N64 collectathon days, they were getting bloated?

I still played the hell out of all of those games in any case, video games are fun.

I thought that was implied :v:. Much as I love Banjo-Tooie it was absolutely bloated as hell, and god help you with trying to get some of those Jiggies without a guide just because you need to step through three different Worlds in-order via well-hidden shortcuts.

And Canary Mary can burn in hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Mercury Crusader posted:

Yeah, I liked the collectathon genre before Rare escalated it to those points.
Banjo-Kazooie and Mario 64 are still games I like to bust out every now and then because the collection aspects give you things to hunt down without overdoing it. I never played DK64 but the idea of collecting the same stuff multiple times with different characters sounds like absolute hell compared to those two.

• Locked thread