Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Kvlt! posted:

So just a thin layer of gorilla glue over my fingertips will do the trick? Because if this works my rear end is saved.

Gorilla glue isn't superglue. Think Krazy Glue, the stuff that turns your skin into hard plastic instantly. Also, if you need to Krazy Glue your callouses, you really need to lighten your grip a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

DrChu posted:

$450 is pretty average for the amp, I can't imagine anyone going to a store and paying $1100 for one. Here are some other options that will probably be cheaper and/or perform better

If you want a micro head you can easily get a Markbass Little Mark 3, GK MB 500 or MB 500 Fusion, Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2

An Ampeg PF500 is mid-sized and will give you a similar tone and new is only $400, used for less

For rack sized heads there are the GK 700RBII or 800RB. The Ampeg B2RE has the same power output but no tube front end like the SVT and goes for mid $200s. Some Mesa amps can be found around $500 like the M-Pulse 600. There's an Aguilar AG500 on talkbass now for $500.

yeah, i always get caught up seeing poo poo on craigslist and being like "woah that's a great deal!" but after poking around a bit, you're right, it's a pretty average deal. the fact that it's nearby and i can try it out first is a plus though. i'm playing a string of shows and then recording over the next two months, so i guess it all depends if i feel like dropping that money is worth it before then.

thanks for all the tips, good stuff to look into.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
This superglue stuff sounds like the beginning to a hilarious practical joke. Seriously.

That said, as long as you let it dry before you touch anything, your fingers will be fine. Fine, but coated with superglue. You can't peel it off without removing some skin.

I wash dishes by hand (at home! My day job isn't dishwasher, I promise!), and my calluses have never been that great. With bass, it's not so bad, but man, it's murder on the Bass VI. In fact, I'm finally getting some decent calluses because of that thing.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Old school superglue was made from cyanocrylite which bonds skin like nothing else and was used to emergency patch gaping wounds in wartime.

Modern superglue is made from gently caress knows what until you read the label, technically gorilla glue isn't superglue and many brands are potentially carcinogenic. Works OK for a one off but don't use it on damaged skin and you're going to look like a total fuckup if you glue your fingers together ten minutes before a gig so don't try it if you're accident prone or can't be bothered to read tiny print even if you have to buy a pocket magnifier. Amazon stocks them as well as tubes of cyanocrylite glue which is perfect for this.

Everyone's heard the urban legend of "that idiot" who stuck their thumb to their middle finger ten minutes before going onstage then had to cut them apart and rush to hospital after playing half a show with no fingerpads while bleeding all over the strings.

tarlibone posted:

With bass, it's not so bad, but man, it's murder on the Bass VI. In fact, I'm finally getting some decent calluses because of that thing.

VI's make any other instrument feel so easy and intuitive after a night of practice, it's unreal.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Juaguocio posted:

I wouldn't buy any of Ampeg's newer amps. To my ears, they don't capture the classic Ampeg tone, and I've heard many people complain about their unreliability.

Their current-gen Class-D stuff is gaaaaaaaaaaaaaarbage.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Did anyone try their B-15 fliptop re-release?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
Yay, amp chat. I finally reached a point where I needed more output than I was getting from my GK 210 combo and I just pulled the trigger on an Avatar 2x12 neo cab. That should do nicely under the combo for the time being, although I'd like to move to a micro head at some point so I can get back to carrying my whole rig in one trip. Also because a lot of the venues I play have a house 8x10 :hellyeah: . I need to do some more research first, though. Mostly just need something loud, clean, (I have a VT Bass for tone shaping) and reliable - don't need a ton of bells and whistles, though a compressor would be nice because sometimes I feel lazy and don't bring my pedalboard to practice if I don't need the rest of my effects.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

I finally picked up an olympic white squire VI :allears:

However I'm getting a lot of buzzing on the low E and it doesn't seem to tune (could be me having to make do with an app right now though) and I get buzzing on the 12th frets.

Is this an intonation or the problem with the strings sitting on the bridge and it needs to be flipped? (Also how do I do that)

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe

UncleBlazer posted:

However I'm getting a lot of buzzing on the low E and it doesn't seem to tune (could be me having to make do with an app right now though) and I get buzzing on the 12th frets.

Is this an intonation or the problem with the strings sitting on the bridge and it needs to be flipped? (Also how do I do that)

Your low E string issues are a feature, not a bug.

The problem is that the really light gauge they use for the low E combined with the short scale (30") means that it's a floppy string. It's going to buzz and rattle and while you can get it in tune, proper intonation is going to be an issue. I've heard many people have success with replacing that string with a heavier gauge one, although I'm coping by just being careful with it and playing with a lighter touch.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Their current-gen Class-D stuff is gaaaaaaaaaaaaaarbage.

Yyyyyup. I'm as big an ampeg fanboy as there is out there, but I don't think I'd buy another (new) one any time soon.

Edit: Once my old St. Louis-era B2R finally kicks the bucket, I'm going micro/mini and just using my VT Bass for that ampeg sound.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

UncleBlazer posted:

Stock strings are garbage and completely the wrong gauge as mentioned. If you're in the US grab some Circle K's or La Bella strings for the Bass Vi. La Bella ship to the UK if you're on this side of the ocean and you can save a lot of money by buying individual strings from them instead of a set.

Intonation is no problem if you jump up to 96 low E, 24 wound high E. You may want to flip the bridge though.

Counting shipping costs to the UK, 6 custom vi strings are cheaper than a 4pack of Ernie Ball's.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
I traded my Squier VI straight up for a G&L SB-2, Indonesian.

This was the only possible way to upgrade it into a playable bass.

UncleBlazer
Jan 27, 2011

Verizian posted:

Stock strings are garbage and completely the wrong gauge as mentioned. If you're in the US grab some Circle K's or La Bella strings for the Bass Vi. La Bella ship to the UK if you're on this side of the ocean and you can save a lot of money by buying individual strings from them instead of a set.

Intonation is no problem if you jump up to 96 low E, 24 wound high E. You may want to flip the bridge though.

Counting shipping costs to the UK, 6 custom vi strings are cheaper than a 4pack of Ernie Ball's.

I'm in the uk, where do I order from (and what am I ordering?). Sorry I'm new to this. Bass strings Online has a set of flatwounds for $61 including postage which isn't bad.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Absolute beginner question here, I'm going to wander down to the pawn shop and look at their amps to get something cheap and simple for practicing in my apartment. How can I tell bass amps from guitar amps, considering the filing system at the local pawn shop is everything piled into heaps according to the owner's whims? Is it okay for me to bring my bass and just plug in to different amps and find one that sounds right? The OP warns if it's the wrong kind of amp I could damage it.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Dolash posted:

Absolute beginner question here, I'm going to wander down to the pawn shop and look at their amps to get something cheap and simple for practicing in my apartment. How can I tell bass amps from guitar amps, considering the filing system at the local pawn shop is everything piled into heaps according to the owner's whims? Is it okay for me to bring my bass and just plug in to different amps and find one that sounds right? The OP warns if it's the wrong kind of amp I could damage it.

Bass amps will generally be labeled as bass amps. Bring your phone with you to look up model numbers, but if it ends in "B" you're probably in the right place.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

You won't damage it unless you turn it up too loud and put too much funk through the speakers. But you'll probably want a bass amp anyway

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014
Fun Shoe
There are videos where you can see the speakers of a guitar cab while someone plays a bass through it. It's not pretty. Also, the amp itself will be voiced for guitar and not bass. So using a guitar amp for your bass probably won't sound good, especially if you're talking about a practice instrument, and as a bonus, the speaker might short out.

Bass and keyboard amps use different kinds of speakers, even when the speaker diameter is the same. They are built to handle a wider range of frequencies. Bass amps will be voiced for bass guitar, while keyboard amps will usually try to have a very neutral and transparent sound color. Keyboard amps will suffice, but bass amps will give you the sound you probably expect out of your bass.

As has been mentioned, most bass amps are clearly marked as bass amps. Of those that aren't, most bass amps lack certain features common to guitar amps. For example, only a handful of bass amps have an overdrive or distortion circuit (mine does have one), whereas most guitar amps, especially practice amps, will have one. If you're not sure, do what someone said and look it up on your phone.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

juche mane posted:

I traded my Squier VI straight up for a G&L SB-2, Indonesian.

This was the only possible way to upgrade it into a playable bass.

Excellent choice. I looked at the VI but just couldn't bring myself to buy one and my Indonesian SB-2 is the best bass I've ever owned. Tip: throw some GHS pressurewounds on it, you'll love the tone.

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 19, 2015

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Thanks for the advice. Ended up getting a Traynor Bass Mate 25 for 50$, which seemed like a good deal since it works fine and is portable enough for me to carry to my friends' place to play with them.

There was this great big Nemesis 200 combo amp thing for 100$ that looked rad as hell, but no way I could've gotten that thing home and it's not like I'd actually need that kind of power. I have to use headphones or crank down to the lowest volume setting as is to get away with playing in my apartment, with my landlord just next door.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

UncleBlazer posted:

I'm in the uk, where do I order from (and what am I ordering?). Sorry I'm new to this. Bass strings Online has a set of flatwounds for $61 including postage which isn't bad.

http://www.labella.com/category/products/bass/bassvi/

Flatwounds cost like $60+ but you can pick out nickel or stainless roundwounds as individual strings. A set of 24-96 is just over $13 with about $10 international shipping. Just make sure to specify your instrument make and model for each individual string so you don't end up with the wrong scale as they stock both Schechter Hellcat VI and Fender/Squier Bass VI strings.

Be warned the stainless set does increase the amount of feedback when using the bridge pickup under high gain but the neck thumps just fine with the tone rolled off and a proper bass amp.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

Verizian posted:

http://www.labella.com/category/products/bass/bassvi/

Flatwounds cost like $60+ but you can pick out nickel or stainless roundwounds as individual strings. A set of 24-96 is just over $13 with about $10 international shipping. Just make sure to specify your instrument make and model for each individual string so you don't end up with the wrong scale as they stock both Schechter Hellcat VI and Fender/Squier Bass VI strings.

Be warned the stainless set does increase the amount of feedback when using the bridge pickup under high gain but the neck thumps just fine with the tone rolled off and a proper bass amp.

Would these be appropriate for my Ibanez SRC6? http://www.ibanez.co.jp/products/eb_page15.php?year=2015&area_id=2&cat_id=2&series_id=51&data_id=58&color=CL01

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I bought one of those Pawn Shop reverse Jaguar basses and I'm really liking it. I was kind of thinking about trying to find a pickup guard for it - it's not how it traditionally looks, but I like the idea and I think I'd get some utility out of it. The problem is that this bass has these big humbucker pickups on it that I think might be a bit wider than normal (I'm estimating them at about 4.5 inches wide because I'm a grown loving adult without a ruler or tape measure - but plenty of CDs) - and I'm having difficulty finding measurements on pickup guards. Would a standard pickup guard like this fit? It looks too small, and nobody sells them locally for me to look at.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
That thing looks wicked cool but is there a way to get to the upper frets? Also, I've never liked neck humbuckers. How does it sound? I loving love bridge hbs, and jazz neck pickups, so there's gotta be a way for it to sound good.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4

Remulak posted:

That thing looks wicked cool but is there a way to get to the upper frets?

Practice, transposition, and succumbing to futility; I'm a pretty lovely bass player so I don't do a lot up there anyways. I really can't reach past the sixteenth fret or so.

Remulak posted:

Also, I've never liked neck humbuckers. How does it sound? I loving love bridge hbs, and jazz neck pickups, so there's gotta be a way for it to sound good.

I'll try to formulate an opinion for you but honestly it's hard for me to tell - the strings are still breaking in and in my current apartment I generally practice unamplified or at low volume and I can't discern much of a difference.

(I am a really lovely bassist who doesn't practice much and the only reason I got it is because a: I wanted Not A Precision/Jazz Bass, b: it was unique, c: I got it brand goddamn new for $370 or so)

e: if you wanted one http://www.worldmusicsupply.com/fender-reverse-jaguar-bass-black-maple-neck/?gclid=CNPZlsKjhMUCFYVFaQodulsADA it's a warehouse owned by the same guy who owns the better music store in my town; I'm pretty sure he bought out someone's stock and is trying to liquidate them, he has like 12 left?

death cob for cutie fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 20, 2015

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.

At that price it's worth a shot. The VI has the same 762mm scale and 42mm nut at least.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

I manged to crack the nut on my G&L L2000 and need to get it replaced. From some TB threads, it appears that my best action would be to take it to a bass tech and have them custom make a replacement for me. Anyone have a ballpark idea of what it might cost?

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008
I'm learning bass! Mainly scales and playing that drat videogame - anyhoo, I want to get an amp for when I finally memorize enough of a song to play something alone. I am looking at a BG250 amp - that tune mapping poo poo looks kind of cool, but in the 300-500 price range .. am I better off going cabinet/head or grabbing some sort of a decent combo?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

PadreScout posted:

I'm learning bass! Mainly scales and playing that drat videogame - anyhoo, I want to get an amp for when I finally memorize enough of a song to play something alone. I am looking at a BG250 amp - that tune mapping poo poo looks kind of cool, but in the 300-500 price range .. am I better off going cabinet/head or grabbing some sort of a decent combo?

Welcome to the club. In the long run you're best off with a head and cab/s of which you can change the latter as your taste and experience change and evolve, but a nice 2nd-hand ~300W combo can get you a long way. Most USA regulars here can give you tips on makes and models. What bass did you get?

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Underflow posted:

Welcome to the club. In the long run you're best off with a head and cab/s of which you can change the latter as your taste and experience evolve, but a nice 2nd-hand ~300W combo can get you a long way. Most USA regulars here can give you tips on makes and models. What bass did you get?

e: loving quote/edit

PadreScout
Mar 14, 2008

Underflow posted:

Welcome to the club. In the long run you're best off with a head and cab/s of which you can change the latter as your taste and experience change and evolve, but a nice 2nd-hand ~300W combo can get you a long way. Most USA regulars here can give you tips on makes and models. What bass did you get?

A made in Mexico P Bass. It's white, I like it. Some day I hope to be good enough to warrant a Rickenbacker, because those are the freaking sexiest things ever.

edit: and I got some new strings today! DR Black Beauties. I hope they sound good.

edite edit: they sound like a piano, and buzz like motherfuckers. I did one string at a time and everything. FML.

PadreScout fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Apr 21, 2015

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

PadreScout posted:

Some day I hope to be good enough to warrant a Rickenbacker, because those are the freaking sexiest things ever.

This is my goal too, for the exact same reason.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

PadreScout posted:

A made in Mexico P Bass. It's white, I like it. Some day I hope to be good enough to warrant a Rickenbacker, because those are the freaking sexiest things ever.

edit: and I got some new strings today! DR Black Beauties. I hope they sound good.

edite edit: they sound like a piano, and buzz like motherfuckers. I did one string at a time and everything. FML.

Nice , and good choices. Can't go wrong with a Precision. If you ever upgrade: I ripped the frets out of mine in the late 70s and never regretted it; raise the action (a lot) and you can make it emulate an upright with a bit of damping and EQ. But maybe keep them in for now...

I'll have to try those DR BBs, though I'm not a frequent string changer; once every 10-15yrs is enough, especially with black nylon tapewounds (sound very good on both a 4001 and a P). There used to be another brand that had a piano-like 'boiiing' to the sound. They had just the core of the string going over the bridge saddles; looked nasty and messed with the action, but any string would sing for a minute after one pluck.

Re. Ricks: an early Korean knock-off brand from the 70s called Hondo II had a decent 4001 copy that sold well (Peter Hook played one). I still have some recordings a friend of mine did with his copy, and I can't quite tell the difference between the sound of the knock-off and my original '77. You should be able to find them still, although quite a few were transformed into "Ricks" at some stage. Check the jackplate; a real one has a MM/YY code engraved, 2 trussrods (save for a few very old ones), and big fat US-made quality electronic components. Also search for "bridge lift" re. the 4001.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

AlphaDog posted:

This is my goal too, for the exact same reason.

I'm pretty sure I'm good enough, I just don't have $1500 loving dollars

I love my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass though, even if I get a ric, which I do hope to do one of these days, I don't think I could get rid of that one

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
i don't get the appeal of ricks. i've tried a few, they're really slick and feel nice but overall i think they're just style over substance.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Dyna Soar posted:

i don't get the appeal of ricks. i've tried a few, they're really slick and feel nice but overall i think they're just style over substance.

i used to feel the same way but over time i've grown to really love that super mid-heavy growl. like a more middy, in your face jazz bass. Lemmy and Moving Pictures era Geddy are two of my favorite bass tones ever, to say nothing of Bruce Foxton.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Dyna Soar posted:

I don't get this. I put up with the style because of the substance.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I'm pretty sure I'm good enough, I just don't have $1500 loving dollars

I love my Geddy Lee Jazz Bass though, even if I get a ric, which I do hope to do one of these days, I don't think I could get rid of that one

The Rickenbackers I've seen for sale in Australia are around $3-4K which is out of the question now and probably forever.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Dyna Soar posted:

The shape may sort of suggest that, but it's really an excellent bass. With a tapewound set, I can get Precision, Jazz, and Höfner-type sounds out of mine in an instant, and I have the originals to compare. That's active DI'ed without using the board's EQ even, not relying on amps or other extra colouring apart from mild compression (~2:1). The 4001's least attractive point is that it starts digging into your ribs if you play sat down for hours.

e: string type makes a big difference on Ricks, so if you base your opinion on that in-yer-face high/mid roundwound buzzsaw sound I can see what you mean - imo these things are made for tapewound use

Underflow fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Apr 23, 2015

Jonithen
Jul 23, 2008
I had a jetglo 4003.

Out of the box the input jack was screwed, would short out if I was not sitting absolutely still. Got that sorted.
Then the action started creeping up. Authorized service center set up. Ok for a few days. Action crept up again. Repeat two more times. Bridge started separating from the body. Then the topcoat of the finish began peeling. Back to RIC for a refinish. Came back looking good but by that point I was pretty angry about how much tweaking this thing was requiring.

When it was working and the action was manageable, it was fun to play and sounded good. It just went stupid on me and I eventually had enough.

If you've got one and love it, awesome and I'm jealous. I just seem to have terrible luck with instruments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO
drat, that's very unusual considering their QC and general way of doing things. The back of the bridge lifting is a known problem with some old 4001s, but they said they'd fixed that on the 4003. Lemons happen, but in Rickenbacker's case I'm pretty sure that if you'd contacted John Hall (he's directly accessible on their forum) and told him about this he'd have proposed a satisfactory deal. They're very big on their 'americanally crafted with american pride (in America)' thing.