Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Any recommendations for Ghost Rider and Blade?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

James Woods Fan posted:

Aaron's Ghost Rider

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Could anyone recommend something ongoing at Marvel at the moment that has the same feel as Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Not in high concept ideas but more in terms of a sense of adventure. Part of the reason I came to like the Fantastic Four (and Hickman's run got me starting reading back through a whooooollllleeee lot of FF) is that they would regularly do things like take trips to other dimensions and alternate realities or journey to strange places around the world mixed with the run-of-the-mill-save-Manhattan stuff.

On a semi-similar note - Annihilation-era cosmic Marvel seemed to hit a lot of those notes that I'm looking for too, are any of the currently ongoing ones (Nova, Guardians, Star Lord I think?) worth jumping on?

I suppose in theory I'd be open to DC suggestions too but seeing the tail end of Johns' run on Green Lantern slide into Venditti's run I'm really not super optimistic.

Awful lot of the recommendations here arent giving you adventures, just 'good' comics.

Go read Saga. Its an ongoing by Image, its an amazing adventure through space whilst raising a family. Beautiful book.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

James Woods Fan posted:

It's not *just* Blade, but Captain Britain and MI13.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

zoux posted:

I dunno if Unlimited added all the Dark Horse Star Wars stuff, but they added 500 comics. Any recommendations?

John Ostrander had the most consistently good Star Wars comics for Dark Horse, so if they're available you might enjoy checking out Republic, Agent of the Empire and maybe Legacy (I'm of two minds about Legacy but it's very popular).

Star Wars Tales had some fun stories too.

Shitshow
Jul 25, 2007

We still have not found a machine that can measure the intensity of love. We would all buy it.

Wheat Loaf posted:

John Ostrander had the most consistently good Star Wars comics for Dark Horse, so if they're available you might enjoy checking out Republic, Agent of the Empire and maybe Legacy (I'm of two minds about Legacy but it's very popular).

I keep eyeing Legacy but can never pull the trigger on it. What's good and bad about it?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I a long, long time ago I read some of the Legacy and KOTOR comics and I remember them being pretty good. I'll take another look at them probably, I remember specifically liking the character designs in Legacy. What about the original run that started in the 80's? Basically I'm trying to avoid standard EU nonsense.

Also, none of these comics are canon any more right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nope, unless something from them migrated into the movies or TV shows.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

zoux posted:

It doesn't really matter, does it?

I mean, I'm keeping Dark Empire close to my cold heart no matter who says what.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

redbackground posted:

It doesn't really matter, does it?

I mean, I'm keeping Dark Empire close to my cold heart no matter who says what.

Not really I guess.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Veg posted:

Awful lot of the recommendations here arent giving you adventures, just 'good' comics.

Go read Saga. Its an ongoing by Image, its an amazing adventure through space whilst raising a family. Beautiful book.

The recent X-treme X-Men had plenty of adventure and someone recommended that. :colbert: There were a couple of issues of Amazing X-Men (I think?) that lead into it that might be worth reading first but I can't recall the numbers. Anyway I'm seconding X-treme X-Men.

... And Saga.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

James Woods Fan posted:

Way different from the movie and Blade is much more a bit player, but Tomb of Dracula is a good comic, largely due to Gene Colan's moody art. It's 70s as gently caress though, which is a recommendation in my world but YMMV.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Shitshow posted:

I keep eyeing Legacy but can never pull the trigger on it. What's good and bad about it?

The good: well, for me, I think it's come closer than any other EU material to recapturing the tone of KOTOR 2, while mixing it with that of the original trilogy. It's "dark and edgy" but it's done well.

The bad: the main problem, in my view, is that it basically undermines the victory that Luke, Leia, Han, Lando and Chewie earned at the end of ROTJ; the Empire is back on top, the Sith are running the show while Luke's New Jedi Order have been scattered to the four winds, and the Republic is reduced to a star fleet that's on the run throughout the galaxy, relying on guerilla warfare tactics. However, this is nothing unique within the EU, and it's done much more effectively than anywhere else.

The big twist of the big bad's true identity probably won't mean very much if you haven't read certain story arcs in Republic which were written by (I think) Tim Truman (namely "Outlander", "Emissaries to Malastare", "The Hunt for Aurra Sing" and a Clone Wars era story, the title of which presently escapes me).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

zoux posted:

I only read the first issue, but I think Brian Wood's 2013 'Star Wars' series slots in between A New Hope and Empire. It's probably still not official Disney cannon, but if you want stuff that's consistent with the movies, that should be.

I'm sure the new Marvel series doing the same thing ignores and contradicts it, but, eh.

The original Marvel series started off with A New Hope adaptation, but then obviously had to do it's own thing, like introducing a giant bunny rabbit guy http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaxxon

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Teenage Fansub posted:

The original Marvel series started off with A New Hope adaptation, but then obviously had to do it's own thing, like introducing a giant bunny rabbit guy http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaxxon

That is the classic example of how the original Star Wars comic was "off-model" but the rabbit hole goes deeper

http://www.jmdematteis.com/2010/10/star-warsagain.html

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:

Sodomy Non Sapiens posted:

Could anyone recommend something ongoing at Marvel at the moment that has the same feel as Hickman's Fantastic Four run? Not in high concept ideas but more in terms of a sense of adventure. Part of the reason I came to like the Fantastic Four (and Hickman's run got me starting reading back through a whooooollllleeee lot of FF) is that they would regularly do things like take trips to other dimensions and alternate realities or journey to strange places around the world mixed with the run-of-the-mill-save-Manhattan stuff.

On a semi-similar note - Annihilation-era cosmic Marvel seemed to hit a lot of those notes that I'm looking for too, are any of the currently ongoing ones (Nova, Guardians, Star Lord I think?) worth jumping on?

I suppose in theory I'd be open to DC suggestions too but seeing the tail end of Johns' run on Green Lantern slide into Venditti's run I'm really not super optimistic.

I forgot to recommend the current ongoing Transformers series, More Than Meets The Eye.

You read Last Stand Of The Wreckers, then jump right into vol 1.

The war between the Autobots and Decepticons is over. This is Star Trek meets Arrested Development. Wonderful space adventure with some real feels.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Does this thread also work work like a "what was that comic?" thread? I looked and didn't see one so I'll ask here. The main character was a dude with a weird skull face that had two spikey things coming out of both sides of his head and claws like Wolverine's on at least one hand, but just two of them. The comic that I read that had him in it was him fighting against Wolverine. What was that comic book character?

vv - Nope dudes face was like a skull with sort of spikey almost like cat whiskers coming out of both sides of his head, two on each side. This is driving me crazy. He wore a trenchcoat and was douchebag and thats all I can remember. I literally used that website to look at every single character it lists as having appeared with Wolverine and didn't see him listed.

Doorknob Slobber fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Apr 20, 2015

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

His son Daken had two clawed claws. No idea if he ever wore a skull mask.

http://www.comicvine.com/daken/4005-42501/

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Reason posted:

Does this thread also work work like a "what was that comic?" thread? I looked and didn't see one so I'll ask here. The main character was a dude with a weird skull face that had two spikey things coming out of both sides of his head and claws like Wolverine's on at least one hand, but just two of them. The comic that I read that had him in it was him fighting against Wolverine. What was that comic book character?

vv - Nope dudes face was like a skull with sort of spikey almost like cat whiskers coming out of both sides of his head, two on each side. This is driving me crazy. He wore a trenchcoat and was douchebag and thats all I can remember. I literally used that website to look at every single character it lists as having appeared with Wolverine and didn't see him listed.

Could it be Terror Inc.? Or possibly Death's Head?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Could it be Terror Inc.?
Terror is the only dude I can think of that has prominent horizontal head spikes.

He also had claw-like things at one point:

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
Yay. Thats it!

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

There's a lot of writers I like that are doing or have done Star Wars comics. I've heard that the post-Disney purchase comics have been good. What's a good place to start? Is any of it on Unlimited?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

notthegoatseguy posted:

There's a lot of writers I like that are doing or have done Star Wars comics. I've heard that the post-Disney purchase comics have been good. What's a good place to start? Is any of it on Unlimited?
They just started really, so you should start with the first issues. I've only read Jason Aaron's and John Cassaday's Star Wars and have been enjoying it. From what I've seen of panels posted, the Darth Vader comic by Kieron Gillen seems pretty great too. The Leia comic by Waid and Dodson can't possibly be that bad, either.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I've heard that the post-Disney purchase comics have been good. What's a good place to start? Is any of it on Unlimited?

2015 Star Wars and Darth Vader from #1. They're not yet six months old, so not on Unlimited yet.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

notthegoatseguy posted:

I'm reading Legacy right now which is OK but I really don't like Jan Duursema's art. Ostrander's writing is pretty decent though.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
Since I asked for recommendations a month or so ago, I have already spent $100 at Comixology. Even picked up all of the current Saga volumes a few days ago at 50% off. With that said, I would like to spend more money because I am an idiot. I am really digging the art on the Stjepan Sejic comics in the current Comixology sale. Which one is the highest regarded between AphroditeIX, Broken Trinity, Artifacts, etc.?

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Ragequit posted:

I would like to spend more money because I am an idiot.

Go to Dark Horse Digital, load the gently caress up on some 50% off titles and bundles, plus an extra 10% off with code DHD4YEAR

Here's a hit list that should entertain...

Hellboy
BPRD
Baltimore
Mind MGMT
Lady Killer
Dr. McNinja
Adventures of Superhero Girl
Concrete
Groo
Beasts of Burden
Lone Wolf & Cub
Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Ragequit posted:

I am really digging the art on the Stjepan Sejic comics in the current Comixology sale. Which one is the highest regarded between AphroditeIX, Broken Trinity, Artifacts, etc.?

I haven't read it, but I think Death Vigil is his biggest solo thing.

I would (and did) get Rat Queens #9, then the previous 8 issues.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Either that or Sunstone (be aware, there is BDSM and semi-explicit sex in the latter, although it's primarily a romance). Most of the other stuff in the sale are books he's drawn for Top Cow as part of their shared universe, and that's... a very specific taste. I recall Artifacts being decent in the beginning, though.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

I have a weird question.

Are there any issues of any comics where it focuses on the typical everyday life of a villain when they aren't causing chaos?

Dealing with family/relationship issues, personal problems, hangin' out with their supervillain buddies, etc.

The tone can be humorous or serious. I've just always enjoyed stories where it shows a more human-side to someone who also happens to be a criminal.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

I have a weird question.

Are there any issues of any comics where it focuses on the typical everyday life of a villain when they aren't causing chaos?

Dealing with family/relationship issues, personal problems, hangin' out with their supervillain buddies, etc.

The tone can be humorous or serious. I've just always enjoyed stories where it shows a more human-side to someone who also happens to be a criminal.

Superior Foes of Spider-Man dabbles in both sides.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The Deadly Foes of Spider-man mini-series is also about such things, and as a bonus is not written by Nick Spencer. Not sure how easy it is to find a copy nowadays.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Lurdiak posted:

as a bonus is not written by Nick Spencer

Whatever man. Superior Foes is great. Seconding.

To a lesser extent in the 'just hanging out' aspect, there's a lot of camaraderie in the Flash's rogues during Geoff Johns' run and the Rogue miniseries' he put out during Final Crisis and Blackest Night.
Also Suicide Squad (stick to the original 80's series) and Secret Six which have typical villains on the cast recruited for clandestine missions with a focus on the relationships between them.

I'm guessing Thunderbolts is similar, but I haven't read any runs of it.

e: Ed Brubaker and Sean Philips' Incognito, which is about an ex-Supervillain in witness protection could be interesting for you.
That's the only thing I've read from them, but they also have stuff like 'Sleeper' about an undercover agent in a villain organization http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sleeper_%28comics%29

Stray Bullets gives you a lot of time with criminals where you grow to enjoy and empathize with them, though they're scary, violent assholes.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stray_Bullets

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Apr 26, 2015

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
You said everything I would have said:

Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Sleeper
Incognito
Suicide Squad (Ostrander)
Villains United / Secret Six
Parts of Geoff Johns' Flash run
Parts of Thunderbolts

I love stories about bad guys being shown as "not such bad guys" as well. Deadshot and Captain Cold are among my favorite characters, thanks to these runs.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

WITNESS THE POWER! posted:

I have a weird question.

You definitely want the Deadshot 4-part miniseries by Ostrander. It was recently re-collected in this trade.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I guess the first two Deadpool mini series also technically fit, but the guy's been an anti-hero for 99% of his appearances by now.

WITNESS THE POWER!
Jun 13, 2009

Why don't you go get a glass of orange juice and spill it all over yourself like a big dumb baby

These are awesome recommendations! Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks so much guys.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

redbackground posted:

You definitely want the Deadshot 4-part miniseries by Ostrander. It was recently re-collected in this trade.

I lumped that in with Ostrander's Suicide Squad in my head, since it's pretty much a tie-in, but the more recent Deadshot miniseries by Christos Gage (which came out almost a decade ago) was also recently collected in a TPB, and it meets this criteria as well. It's about Deadshot protecting his young daughter and her mother from local gangs, in almost a modern-day Western story.

Also: CRIMINAL, by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips! That's what the entire thing is about, although I still prefer their Sleeper series.

Anime_Otaku
Dec 6, 2009
I posted this in the digital comics thread already, maybe it should go here too/instead.

What good comics are there on Comixology that are centred on villains? I just got, and read, the first volume of Superior Iron Man and recently binged through the Avengers Academy/Arena/Undercover so I'd be happy with either a title where the villain is just being a wonderfully massive jerk to everyone like SIM or a title that shows the villains aren't just a massive jerk like AU. I've got Irredeemable and a bunch of the Batman graphic novels that are Joker centric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Anime_Otaku posted:

What good comics are there on Comixology that are centred on villains?

All the villainous stuff we just posted about is on Comixology.