Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!

bathroomrage posted:

I just liked to eat canned veggies as a kid. :shrug: My parents didn't foist it on me, we had plenty of potato chips and hot dogs and baby carrots and peanut butter and other kid-snacky things in the house. Geeze, sorry my weird kid palate was so tragic.

Just you wait until I talk about how I'd also go through all the spice racks and eat the spices.

And the balsamic vinegar.

I used to like eating salt. Just straight salt, sprinkled into my mouth. Plus I used to really like chicken flavoured chips dipped into caramel flavoured yoghurt as an after school snack.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Ferret King posted:

Canned green beans were ok, frozen had fresher texture but a squeakiness when chewing.
Mmmm, squeaky beans are great.

EZipperelli posted:

Any type of "salad," (save for the salad consisting of lettuce, dressing, etc) is absolutely disgusting. 99% of the time it's just stupid amounts of mayo, mixed with random ingredients.
There are tons of salads other than garden that don't have mayonnaise. Two of my favourites are four-bean mix and salad onion with balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and grated carrot, cheese and apple. And even the types that do have mayonnaise are fine as long as you don't use too much.

pienipple posted:

I find frozen vegetables tend to be mushy.
That should only be the case if they're frozen slowly. Flash frozen vegetables are generally fine.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

EZipperelli posted:

Any type of "salad," (save for the salad consisting of lettuce, dressing, etc) is absolutely disgusting.

I hate to agree with Tiggum, but there are plenty of other types of non garden salads that don't have mayonnaise. I get a really good pasta salad from a grocery nearby that is pasta, vinaigrette, peppers, olives, feta, and other stuff I can't recall. No mayonnaise.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Stuntman posted:

I'm guessing it's one of those things where you try to convince people a word that somebody made up is a real thing, but refuse to tell them what it actually is.

ding ding ding

It wasn't funny the first time and I'm sick of seeing weak-rear end attempts to "get" people with the "joke." This is coming from a person who legit enjoys the meme thread

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Cold Velveeta Sandwiches are a sin against god. :colbert:

ftfy

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I hate to agree with Tiggum, but there are plenty of other types of non garden salads that don't have mayonnaise. I get a really good pasta salad from a grocery nearby that is pasta, vinaigrette, peppers, olives, feta, and other stuff I can't recall. No mayonnaise.

That's called a Greek Salad. And they are amazing. However, those fall under the garden salad variety, because they generally contain lettuce.

I've heard of the mythical pasta salad that contains vinaigrette or Italian dressing, but, again, living in the south, I've never actually seen it.

I should go to my local food store later and take a picture of the pre-made salad cooler area. It just LOOKS loving gross.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

EZipperelli posted:

That's called a Greek Salad. And they are amazing. However, those fall under the garden salad variety, because they generally contain lettuce.

I've heard of the mythical pasta salad that contains vinaigrette or Italian dressing, but, again, living in the south, I've never actually seen it.

I should go to my local food store later and take a picture of the pre-made salad cooler area. It just LOOKS loving gross.

Nope. There is zero lettuce, spinach, or whatever. The majority of it is pasta.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Rigged Death Trap posted:

to keep that entire thing moist.

I imagine that's what the buns are for too.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

EZipperelli posted:

Things like that would make a Greek or an Italian weep as much as a Chinese eating in a western "Chinese restaurant".

This is a Greek Salad BTW:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Things like that would make a Greek or an Italian weep

In all fairness, both are full of Nazis so let them.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

bathroomrage posted:

I just liked to eat canned veggies as a kid. :shrug: My parents didn't foist it on me, we had plenty of potato chips and hot dogs and baby carrots and peanut butter and other kid-snacky things in the house. Geeze, sorry my weird kid palate was so tragic.

Just you wait until I talk about how I'd also go through all the spice racks and eat the spices.

And the balsamic vinegar.

I raided the spice rack as a kid too :hfive:

I lived in qld when I was a kid, so during the gross, unlivably hot part of the year (90% of it) used to snack on an egg cup full of whatever veggies we had. It's pretty much the only good way to eat frozen green beans or corn.

I also used to dip toothpicks into the enormous array of condiments my mother kept in the fridge to taste them over and over. Also nips of vinegars. Balsamic was my favourite.

(I actually still do all of these things. And it's still awesome)

Yolo Swaggins Esq has a new favorite as of 15:23 on Apr 17, 2015

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Yolo Swaggins Esq posted:

I raided the spice rack as a kid too :hifive:

I lived in qld when I was a kid, so during the gross, unlivably hot part of the year (90% of it) used to snack on an egg cup full of whatever veggies we had. It's pretty much the only good way to eat frozen green beans or corn.

I also used to dip toothpicks into the enormous array of condiments my mother kept in the fridge to taste them over and over. Also nips of vinegars. Balsamic was my favourite.

(I actually still do all of these things. And it's still awesome)

I once drank a bottle of Caesar dressing very slowly over the course of days because it tasted good.

Yolo Swaggins Esq
Jan 29, 2015

oOoOoh 👀 a dapper little mouse🎩 🐀🕺🏻🕺🏻 a dAppER MoUSe🧐🐀 🚶🏿‍♂️🚶🏿‍♂️it’s a 🎩DAPPER mouse 👀✔️🐀🥾🏃🏽‍♂️🕺🏻🕺🏻🕺🏻🏃🏽‍♂️🐀💥

Wasabi the J posted:

I once drank a bottle of Caesar dressing very slowly over the course of days because it tasted good.

Caesar dressing is awesome. I would totally drink an entire bottle of like, the non creamy type over a week or something. Which is why I don't buy it. I'm not sure I could deal with being that goony.

Yolo Swaggins Esq has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Apr 17, 2015

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Aristophanes posted:

I used to like eating salt. Just straight salt, sprinkled into my mouth. Plus I used to really like chicken flavoured chips dipped into caramel flavoured yoghurt as an after school snack.

I drank soy sauce.

Also, the only canned vegetables I have ever eaten on purpose are tomatoes and corn. I'm sure I've eaten others without knowing, though.

BTW "Greek salad" ain't got no lettuce :colbert:.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I want to clarify I drank the Caesar as a child, not as a horrible goony bachelor. I made other terrible decisions then.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Nazi Goreng?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Overminty posted:

Nazi Goreng?

:golfclap:

Could also be Hermann Goreng.

Mexican Deathgasm
Aug 17, 2010

Ramrod XTreme

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I imagine that's what the buns are for too.

Yeah the buns and sausage turned into an awesome stuffing that turned out really well.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

EZipperelli posted:

I live in Dallas and can find pasta salad with Italian dressing at pretty much any grocery deli section. I love making my own though pasta, onions, jalapenos, bell pepper, baby tomatoes, olives, mushrooms, summer squash, shrimp, and Italian dressing.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Cue another loving goon in this thread saying "Hey, those jargobblrgars, one of Sweden's oldest treats! I don' understand why they're in this thread, they're great :shrug:"

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Plan Z posted:

Cue another loving goon in this thread saying "Hey, those jargobblrgars, one of Sweden's oldest treats! I don' understand why they're in this thread, they're great :shrug:"

Thanks for wasting thread space. :toot: Please go away.

I just want to remind everyone that atrocities like this happen daily:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

bathroomrage posted:

Thanks for wasting thread space. :toot: Please go away.

I just want to remind everyone that atrocities like this happen daily:

Hey, those are open-faced spam cheesewiches. Those don't belong in this thread, they're great!

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Hey, those are open-faced spam cheesewiches. Those don't belong in this thread, they're great!

:frogout:

MatteusTheCorrupt
Nov 1, 2010

Plan Z posted:

Oooh, I can play that goon.

That is "pytt i panna", an old swedish meal consisting of diced onions, potatoes, and ham, all fried together in a pan.

Like all old swedish foods, its primary sin is being boring.
Which is why some ironic neo nazi cut some of the potatoes into swastikas, took a photo of it, uploaded the photo onto the internet, some goon found it, and the rest is history.

MatteusTheCorrupt has a new favorite as of 20:28 on Apr 17, 2015

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Plan Z posted:

Hey, I get it! That's that thing you just said

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Pyttipanna is great you ärketönt. :argh:

Needs mustard or hot sauce, an over easy egg and a pile of sliced pickled beets.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

It's me, the defender of all Swedish food.

Except lutfisk, that stuff's terrible.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

It's me, the defender of all Swedish food.

Except lutfisk, that stuff's terrible.

I like Swedish food, especially pickled fish. It was the highlight of my visit there. it wasn't meant to be some specifically targeted rant at someone or Swedish people. Was just kind of mocking how all of the posts get the same reaction and conversation about an unappealing-looking meal. I was being lovely.

edit: I keep wanting to post Pennsylvanian Dutch stuff, but the problem is that it's usually just very, very bland versions of famous meals. Hog's Maw and Scrapple in the south? Delicious. Here? Bland, tasteless, and gross-looking. Sauerbraten in Europe is incredible, but here it's just some puckering meat. Chow-chow in other places can have interesting visuals with some complex flavor. In Pennsylvania, it's just a bunch of bitter vegetables. Amish desserts are pretty great, though, I guess.

Plan Z has a new favorite as of 20:54 on Apr 17, 2015

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I had some Julmust once. I hurt all weekend and then I later wound up in the hospital. But it tasted okay.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Plan Z posted:

Chow-chow in other places can have interesting visuals with some complex flavor. In Pennsylvania, it's just a bunch of bitter vegetables. Amish desserts are pretty great, though, I guess.

Hey! PA Dutch chow-chow can be delicious. I got some from a farmers market that was crunchy vegetables and soft beans in a sweet pickle. Could eat a whole jar of that stuff.

I traveled through PA with a friend who took me to PA Dutch diners, and I got to agree with you on the other stuff. Pretty bland, but hearty. Can see that it works for people who work hard on farms all day.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Plan Z posted:

Amish desserts are pretty great, though, I guess.

Don't you dare undersell Amish pies. :colbert:

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

axolotl farmer posted:

Hey! PA Dutch chow-chow can be delicious. I got some from a farmers market that was crunchy vegetables and soft beans in a sweet pickle. Could eat a whole jar of that stuff.

I traveled through PA with a friend who took me to PA Dutch diners, and I got to agree with you on the other stuff. Pretty bland, but hearty. Can see that it works for people who work hard on farms all day.

I've certainly built up an affection for the food over time, and when someone with great taste makes it, it can be something beautiful. It's just that it's the rare case.

Hijo Del Helmsley posted:

Don't you dare undersell Amish pies. :colbert:

Wouldn't dare. They do magical things with rhubarb.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

bringmyfishback posted:

I drank soy sauce.

:respek:

I love soy sauce. Except for the time I tried it with corn bread. My wife describes the look on my face that day as fear.

I guess I like to try weird things. The goons in the hot sauce thread thought my peanut butter and hot sauce sandwiches were weird. But come on, sweet, spicy and peanut are flavors that go well together. :colbert:

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Plan Z posted:

Plan Z posted:

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
:thejoke:

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

Quiet Feet posted:

But come on, sweet, spicy and peanut are flavors that go well together. :colbert:
That's why I make habanero peanut butter.

e: for stupid

Flyball has a new favorite as of 17:35 on Apr 18, 2015

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Quiet Feet posted:

I guess I like to try weird things. The goons in the hot sauce thread thought my peanut butter and hot sauce sandwiches were weird. But come on, sweet, spicy and peanut are flavors that go well together. :colbert:

I could totally see that.

Hell, Korean cooking is based entirely on "How can we combine spicy stuff and peanuts".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Plan Z posted:

I've certainly built up an affection for the food over time, and when someone with great taste makes it, it can be something beautiful. It's just that it's the rare case.

Wouldn't dare. They do magical things with rhubarb.

Dear God, yes.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

skander posted:

That's why I make jabanero peanut butter.

Oh, my god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Mexican Deathgasm posted:

A boar stuffed with sausage looks like before it's cooked.

Looks like Tauntaun guts.

• Locked thread