Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Butt Ghost posted:

That starting guitar(?) riff in stage one gets me hard every time.

For all that Dracula X is the superior game, I prefer the soundtrack of the SNES game. I especially like Picture of the Ghost Ship.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=myN0-bWjcS4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Social Animal posted:

Speaking of arcade game, there's Haunted Castle, the CV arcade game. Basically a CV1 style game where you play as Simon out to rescue your wife or something. I believe the Bloody Tears song originated from this game.

It stinks, unfortunately.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

I started playing some older Castlevania games because I thought about how my favorite game is OoE but I've barely finished any of the others.

I played Circle of the Moon and Portrait of Ruin first to finish off the Metroidvanias.

All of the NES games were fun, 2 and 3 were especially interesting. They're both massive games for the NES.

I tried all 3 GB games next and they seem really bad. Castlevania the Adventure might be the worst Castlevania I've played.

Then I played 3 or so stages of SCIV and it was kind of boring. I'll give it another shot though.

Right now I'm right in the middle of Adventure Rebirth, Bloodlines and Castlevania 64. I've gotten up to stage 5 in Rebirth and so far it's definitely my favorite classic Castlevania game. The stages are massive and filled with alternate paths. It's just plain fun. Bloodlines is awesome and I love John Morris. I just did the section of Castlevania 64 where you aren't allowed to jump or get hit and it's not awful but I hope that the other 3d games are more interesting.

Aside from the games I mentioned I've beaten Rondo of Blood and all of the Metroidvanias. What other games should I try in my look at Castlevania's roots?

Give Castlevania 4 another shot. It's the only game in the series I like almost as much as Order of Ecclesia.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Social Animal posted:

Oh and wasn't there one released in Japan 5-6 years ago? It was like a rails shooter but you could use a whip or be a Sypha type character. I'm on the phone let me see if I can find it.

Here it is: http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_The_Arcade

Dang I wish I could try it. I'll check later if there is any footage on YouTube.

I can't speak about the quality of the game itself, but the music of the game is phenomenal. Check out a few of the tracks on Youtube if you get bored, like this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dmyzlnp41ls

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Rogue Legacy? I like it, but I'd recommend it only after you've played all the real CV games.

Not Rogue Legacy. An actual roguelike.

CastlevaniaRL

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So the only castlevania that i can download and play on my 3DS is the Mirror of Fate? None of these other cool ones with sweet movement abilities and magic spells?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Well, outside of the NES games and the one GB one on there. And you don't want the GB one.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Konami practically disowned Castlevania and burned their bridges with Kojima so they're basically dead to me.

Phantasium posted:

Well, outside of the NES games and the one GB one on there. And you don't want the GB one.

GB one is probably about as good as CV1.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Anatharon posted:

Let's not say things we can't take back.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
No way, GB CV sucks. It's short, it's missing lots of stuff including subweapons and it's so loving slow.

Most of the Castlevania Adventure team went oo to form Treasure and they used to cite CVA as an example of what happens when Konami forced talented devs to crank out franchise games with no budget.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Castlevania is dead.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Have you... actually played the two games?

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Bust Rodd posted:

So the only castlevania that i can download and play on my 3DS is the Mirror of Fate? None of these other cool ones with sweet movement abilities and magic spells?

Noooope. Nintendo has not figured out how to sell DS games on the eShop for the 3DS.

But good news! They have started selling DS games on the Wii U!

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Monkey Fracas posted:

Noooope. Nintendo has not figured out how to sell DS games on the eShop for the 3DS.

The issue, if I remember right, is that there is actual physical DS architecture/guts routed through the gamecard slot in the 3DS that runs DS games natively. I think they'd need an emulator wrapper to run downloaded DS games, which the 3DS isn't powerful enough to do.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Is that really true though? I remember NoJ released an Advance Wars game on the 3DS eShop or maybe as a Club Nintendo reward and that probably just hooked into the DS hardware just fine.

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer
Yup, I'm full of poo poo. Days of Ruin came out as a platinum reward. Sorry...
:negative:

It's another one of those situations where Nintendo hates money, I guess.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Noone knows how they got Days of Ruin working as "DSiWare" but if it really was just a regular DS ROM with a wrapper we'd know about it by now. It's Nintendo, that's the answer to every "why aren't they doing x?" question you might have.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

No way, GB CV sucks. It's short, it's missing lots of stuff including subweapons and it's so loving slow.

Right, so pretty much like Castlevania with subweapons.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Anatharon posted:

Right, so pretty much like Castlevania with subweapons.

Have you ever actually played Castlevania Adventure? Christopher Belmont walks like he's got the iron boots from Zelda permanently grafted to his feet and the lack of subweapons means you have only one option for dealing with enemies and the whip tends to be kind of slow in the pre-CV4 days. The music is pretty good, I guess, but I don't think it's worth putting up with the rest of the game for it. I think it also suffers from screen tearing, which I've never seen from any other GB game.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah Castlevania Adventure is a BAD GAME, even when it was new people knew. Castlevania 2: Belmont's Revenge on GB is actually very good though (with even better music, some of the best on the GB). They made a third one, Castlevania Legends, that's a huge step back in the level design/presentation and almost as bad as CV Adventure. CV Adventure isn't even close to being as good as NES CV1.

Haunted Castle is hilarious because it's a shoddy, not very fun game, but due to its rarity and the Castlevania association people will pay $$$ for it.

That Castlevania Arcade was more of an amusement thing like Dark Escape, or an even more simplified Afterburner Climax. Konami did a Silent Hill one as well.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 17, 2015

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yeah, there is absolutely zero comparison between OG Castlevania and Castlevania Adventure aside from "there is Dracula and a guy with whip". The levels are like 90% more bullshit jumps and the enemies feel like they were designed to fight someone who could do more than just whip straight ahead. Also I think it's less that your character is slow and more that the whole game runs at like 5 FPS.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer
When you play Castlevania: The Adevnture you get the feeling you're playing an illegal ripoff of the Castlevania series made on the cheap and sold out of the back of a van in 1990's Russia.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
That describes pretty much every GB game for the first year or so, I think.

CVA 2 (and Operation C which was made by the exact same team at around the same time) aren't too bad, and I wish they were on the VC.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Castlevania: The Adventure thought it was a good idea to make an auto-scroll stage with instant death spikes and pits on every edge with a character that moves a foot per hour.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
If you have a Wii just get Castlevania Adventure: Rebirth instead.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Accordion Man posted:

If you have a Wii just get Castlevania Adventure: Rebirth instead.

That and the Contra game were really good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Azubah posted:

That and the Contra game were really good.

Contra Rebirth is basically "HEY CONTRA III loving RULED REMEMBER HOW loving GREAT CONTRA III WAS" and that's 100% a-okay because Contra III did in fact loving rule.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Evil Eagle posted:

Castlevania is dead.

what the hell is konami doing for money now?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Konami makes a ton of money off gambling/amusement machines, as well as love hotels.

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Also your yearly football games with minimal roster change.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

HGH posted:

Also your yearly football games with minimal roster change.

No-one plays PES any more, FIFA has won that battle.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Pope Guilty posted:

Contra Rebirth is basically "HEY CONTRA III loving RULED REMEMBER HOW loving GREAT CONTRA III WAS" and that's 100% a-okay because Contra III did in fact loving rule.

Hell yes. Gradius Rebirth was kind of weak and Castlevania Rebirth is good but Contra Rebirth is AWESOME. I think the biggest sign that PES is dead is that one of them (2014?) was a free PS+ game.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Has anyone here played Axiom Verge? I think its ps4 ATM but coming to steam soon. More metroid than castlevania I suppose.

Argona
Feb 16, 2009

I don't want to go on living the boring life of a celestial forever.

Does anyone have the actual "Jonathon!" and "Charlotte!" clips? Especially if theres somewhere where it repeats forever

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Konami makes a ton of money off gambling/amusement machines, as well as love hotels.

Konami has seemed to be wanting to get out of the video game thing lately.

pleeease sell IGA the CV ip

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
Just give it to Platinum.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
I'd also accept Wayforward.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Uncle Wemus posted:

Has anyone here played Axiom Verge? I think its ps4 ATM but coming to steam soon. More metroid than castlevania I suppose.

Yeah it's closer to metroid but aside from a really douchey protagonist the game is pretty great. It comes out on steam May 19th I think.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Uncle Wemus posted:

If you were alive during the NES era, you might remember that cloning popular games almost exactly was a pretty big thing. Axiom Verge feels like one of those clones, outside of the modern conveniences it really could have been released in the NES era. That's a compliment and an insult, because like all of those clones it doesn't quite nail what worked about the original game and the graphics/sound are pretty mediocre generally. It's worth playing if you're a fan of Metroid games, but it doesn't live up to the real thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Adam Bowen posted:

If you were alive during the NES era, you might remember that cloning popular games almost exactly was a pretty big thing. Axiom Verge feels like one of those clones, outside of the modern conveniences it really could have been released in the NES era. That's a compliment and an insult, because like all of those clones it doesn't quite nail what worked about the original game and the graphics/sound are pretty mediocre generally. It's worth playing if you're a fan of Metroid games, but it doesn't live up to the real thing.

Argh dangit. Guess we'll just have to wait for the rumored new 2D Metroid...

What was the last really good game in that genre anyways? I feel like it's been a while.