Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Effectronica posted:

I'm saying that you probably see problems with specific, particular cases but not with the process generally.

Yes? That seems fair. It also seems true of most human activities.

I think there are problems with specific, particular cases of boating but not the process generally.

I think there are problems with specific, particular cases of drinking water but not the process generally.

This is why I'd say that 'boating' or 'drinking water' aren't morally-interesting categories.

Your argument is that Cultural Appropriation is different from 'boating' in that it's often or typically problematic. To support this, you said that it's harmful because the appropriators remove a thing from the culture they're appropriating and impoverish the culture as a result.

I disagree, explained why, and gave an example that was prototypical appropriation and showed how it isn't really the outsiders who are changing a culture. Now that we've staked out one another's positions, I'm waiting for a response.

Effectronica posted:

This is presuming that people consciously choose to be encultured, which is false.This is presuming that people consciously choose to be encultured, which is false.

I agree there are unconscious factors in play. That's true for all cultural practices, including the ones that are getting displaced. So, this looks like a wash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Crowsbeak posted:

This really describes how I see, why do we split hairs over this? When there are real issues that are causing people to be living in poverty, leading to homelessness, or even just allowing for the brutalization of the underclasses. We instead take issue with some media mogul making lovely music that is a shallow copy of a minorities music. That's the hill we want to die on.

Because this isn't the real left. At the far ends of the political spectrum, there are a pair of cliffs. The benighted souls that for whatever reason find themselves that far out fall off. Down off the cliff, into oblivion.

Sure, it would be nice if these people got a grip and did something helpful instead, but the fringes have always been wastes of human talent, passion, and potential, and we all manage to get by without them. The right has a similar problem, but with a different set of are-you-serious nonsense. So, I think it all evens out.

If there was no howling at the moon right, it might become more of an issue to get these people in the game, but to be honest, I suppose some of their hearts are in the right place, let them tilt at their windmills. It's bad PR, but both sides have bad PR.

Anyway, it gives their idiots something to get upset about. As long as even some portion of the right is fighting its fever-dream private culture war, at least they aren't doing anything that matters.

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

There are tons of successful black artists what are you talking about. There were successful black artists playing Rock and Roll. There were white and black influences that fed into the genre and literally everyone playing was drawing on prior work as an influence.

There are also tons of artists of all ethnicities who never get picked up and promoted by a label despite being likeable and talented. Only a tiny minority of acts get that kind of support. The music biz has been like that since there was a music biz.

I suppose less successful musicians have been butthurt about that since there was a music biz, too, but so what?

The music biz promotes what it considers marketable. It's far from being a meritocracy. The argument that something isn't popular because there was no demand for it is a pet peeve of mine and I fight it wherever it appears.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

The music biz promotes what it considers marketable. It's far from being a meritocracy.

In what sense could the music biz ever be a meritocracy?

edit:

Or maybe a different question is more appropriate. What do you mean by a meritocracy?

Is it an industry that promotes the artists who make the best work, however best is defined? Or one that supports artists to varying degrees depending on the quality of that work? Or something else?

edit2:

Or are you saying that many acts that aren't popular could be popular if only they were promoted, and because they aren't the business is not a meritocracy?

wateroverfire fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Apr 16, 2015

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

wateroverfire posted:

edit:

Or maybe a different question is more appropriate. What do you mean by a meritocracy?

Is it an industry that promotes the artists who make the best work, however best is defined? Or one that supports artists to varying degrees depending on the quality of that work? Or something else?

edit2:

Or are you saying that many acts that aren't popular could be popular if only they were promoted, and because they aren't the business is not a meritocracy?

My point was that promotion is at least as much important as talent and quality of work and is pretty much a prerequisite to get multi-million dollar contracts.

Toph Bei Fong
Feb 29, 2008

wateroverfire posted:

A business exists to make money (Dodge v. Ford Motor Company (1919)). Therefore, an artist who makes the most money, ROI-wise, for the company is the best artist. :pseudo:

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Gantolandon posted:

My point was that promotion is at least as much important as talent and quality of work and is pretty much a prerequisite to get multi-million dollar contracts.

For sure. These days bands usually aren't signed until they've done the promotional work of building up a fan base. Accomplishing that is one thing that separates the pros from the rest.

What should we take from that?

Toph Bei Fong posted:

A business exists to make money (Dodge v. Ford Motor Company (1919)). Therefore, an artist who makes the most money, ROI-wise, for the company is the best artist. :pseudo:

I guess that would be one way to look at it, sure.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

SedanChair posted:

Man every black artist you see just makes you grit your teeth huh. One's too many for the likes of you.

sure

i should learn to cry crocodile tears like the cool guys itt

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

VitalSigns posted:

While of course you're right that it isn't "strictly true" that every white rapper makes more money than every black rapper, but that's not a very useful way of evaluating trends. Is it "strictly true" that every white applicant always gets hired over every black one? Is it "strictly true" that every white defendant escapes the death penalty and every black defendant gets a capital sentence? Is it "strictly true" that every gay couple is rejected by landlords in favor of a straight couple? No, no, and no, but that doesn't mean these trends don't exist.
I just don't see much actual evidence that black artists are being passed over for white ones in 21st century America. I mean, if you look at the Billboard Hot 100 it's hardly whitewashed. It also tends to vary, there are sometimes more white artists on the Top 10, a lot of times actually fewer. Sometimes no white males, etc. Sometimes no whites at all. So if you're going to posit a zero-sum relationship then you need to demonstrate it.

Largely the evidence for your argument is anecdotal and involves individuals, but the trend is quite the opposite:

http://www.businessinsider.com/charts-white-people-are-no-longer-relevant-in-pop-music-in-terms-of-sales-2012-3?op=1

You're making apples-to-oranges comparisons, too, since prisons and housing policies contain real socio-economic disparities instead of this weak sauce.

VitalSigns posted:

As for James Franco, well, I'd say the role of gay people in contributing to the fashions and tastes that are overall an aspect of the wider culture is a bit more complicated. For a counterexample, consider the criticism that Madonna gets for vogue: copying a style from the underground gay scene and profiting from repackaging and selling it to a middle America that is willing to buy it only when it's sold by a straight woman. The people who created are shoved aside, because to America they are worthless, but America is perfectly willing to enjoy what they created as long as they can feel that their money and attention are going to someone "worthy".
Well, I'd stick up for Madonna, too. I think she vogued because she had deep admiration for her gay fans, who reciprocated that. And I think her approach to female sexuality is akin to how a lot of gay men (I count myself here) see their own experiences. In any case, a lot of gay artists have done very well remixing her music.

Crowsbeak posted:

This really describes how I see, why do we split hairs over this? When there are real issues that are causing people to be living in poverty, leading to homelessness, or even just allowing for the brutalization of the underclasses. We instead take issue with some media mogul making lovely music that is a shallow copy of a minorities music. That's the hill we want to die on.
Well, I see it as kind of a manufactured controversy. I remember one of big social media blow-ups of the day a few weeks ago was Beyonce being passed over for Beck at the Grammys. Okay, I don't know what kind of struggles Beyonce has had to deal with in her life. But she had the #2 best-selling album or something like that last year. Beyonce will be fine. Basically the left is spending a lot of time organizing around defending multi-millionaire celebrities in a struggle against other multi-millionaires and then wonders why no one wants to join them.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 16, 2015

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1KJRRSB_XA

Saw this and figured I'd share it in this thread.

Breakdown from Rue of the Hunger Games on contemporary cultural appropriation of black culture.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Omi-Polari posted:

Well, I see it as kind of a manufactured controversy. I remember one of big social media blow-ups of the day a few weeks ago was Beyonce being passed over for Beck at the Grammys. Okay, I don't know what kind of struggles Beyonce has had to deal with in her life. But she had the #2 best-selling album or something like that last year. Beyonce will be fine. Basically the left is spending a lot of time organizing around defending multi-millionaire celebrities in a struggle against other multi-millionaires and then wonders why no one wants to join them.

Who the gently caress cares about the Grammy's? Seriously music is so diverse that I am surprised that anyone actually watches them. But then I listen to metal and alternative rock so they have never meant much to me. I just think some on the left need to cool the gently caress down. Now when there is actual attempts by sociopaths like say the subhuman Beale to cleanse the Hugos to remove diversity from a contest there should be outcry, but one person winning an award that has voters of various tastes and said award covers a very large audience, than the left can cool it.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 17, 2015

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Taking lessons on preserving culture from a hollywood star, peak irony itt

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Blowdryer posted:

Saw this and figured I'd share it in this thread.

Breakdown from Rue of the Hunger Games on contemporary cultural appropriation of black culture.
One of the points is that Iggy Azalea/Macklemore didn't speak out against the police killings of black men, while being white artists who appropriate black styles. But when did being a hip-hop artist require being political? (This same criticism, by the way, I don't see directed against Eminem.) I think she's putting a burden on musicians that you can't actually expect.

Let us English
Feb 21, 2004

Actual photo of Let Us English, probably seen here waking his wife up in the morning talking about chemical formulae when all she wants is a hot cup of shhhhh

Omi-Polari posted:

One of the points is that Iggy Azalea/Macklemore didn't speak out against the police killings of black men, while being white artists who appropriate black styles. But when did being a hip-hop artist require being political? (This same criticism, by the way, I don't see directed against Eminem.) I think she's putting a burden on musicians that you can't actually expect.

Except for the multiple songs where Macklemore speaks out against the police killings of black men.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

She did nothing to stop the Black Death either, so that's on her shoulders too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

But when did being a hip-hop artist require being political?

Since the beginning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yi3tzxKoxrM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGaoXAwl9kw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o8TeqKhgY

quote:

(This same criticism, by the way, I don't see directed against Eminem.)

Which is proof that either you are not paying attention, or don't know where to look.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

Since the beginning.
http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/1794?in=15:54&out=20:43

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Oh no Ta-Nehisi Coates disagrees with me! I'M MELTING

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

Oh no Ta-Nehisi Coates disagrees with me! I'M MELTING
He says it better than I could. But I'd go further and say that demanding black artists or artists who perform black styles "be political" all the time and that's what hip hop is is a burden a lot of people calling for it wouldn't put on white artists who perform white styles.

It's demanding too much from people. There's an old Catholic term for this: supererogation -- it's that.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
It's not being political all the time, it's just that if you have a connection to the culture that created hip-hop you will not be able to avoid these issues.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SedanChair posted:

It's not being political all the time, it's just that if you have a connection to the culture that created hip-hop you will not be able to avoid these issues.
People created hip hop. And I wouldn't put a burden on them to be political if they don't want to be -- that's up to them and what they want to do with it.

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

SedanChair posted:

As a white Black man, this must weigh heavily upon you.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Omi-Polari posted:

People created hip hop. And I wouldn't put a burden on them to be political if they don't want to be -- that's up to them and what they want to do with it.

Iggy Azalea did not create it.

TheImmigrant posted:

As a white Black man, this must weigh heavily upon you.

Keep it up, I like it.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I don't agree that they do have to temporarily adopt any ritual. Assume you celebrate Christmas, would you alienate someone because they didn't, or because it was different? I wouldn't, and if someone did they're doing a bad thing, which the majority of people will recognize. You'd gain allies if that was the hill you fought on. But if, by exposition, they unconsciously adopt, then there's no solution for what you want here. Suppose that adoption was unconscious, would that only apply to appropriated practices? No, it wouldn't, it would happen at every interaction. Your logic relied on the 'need to communicate' after all. In view of that, aren't you just advocating a kind of 'limited segregation'? Where interaction is limited to some level you, personally, feel comfortable about? I'd rather be consistent: all walls must come down.

But now we come to the real issue, rarely spoken but often implied: "the new meaning will be taught to anyone entering the culture". Why is that a problem? Neither you nor I have the right to demand that someone else adopt our own meaningfulness. They make up their own mind, children especially are not their parent's property. Why does that results in dismantling? Assume there is value in the meanings of the smaller culture, that cannot be found elsewhere. Wouldn't that value-in-meaning always protect it? Alternatively, if meaning is arbitrary, then there is nothing special about one culture over another, so people will just go for the most exposed. So which is more likely?

But okay, we can escape that if there's some value in cultural diversity itself. You argue an analogy to intellectual diversity, but take an interesting perspective on that. The point of intellectual diversity is that differences are always opposed, then perhaps they resolve and new ones surface. Intellectual diversity doesn't exist because there are two people who have different opinions, who exist but who may never meet. The value in the diversity only exists in the interaction. Your demand that cultures not appropriate itself reduces the value from culture diversity, because you're reducing that interaction! What is the value in diversity of cultures if that diversity isn't experienced by anyone? If one culture swallows the other, that's not actually a big deal. New oppositions will always arise so long as the synthesis is still somehow incomplete. To demand that the cultural 'landscape' we have to day stays in place, forever, is to demand stasis. So rather that creating diversity in human thought, you're created a bunch of bubbles that just bounce off each other. At some point you have to let go. Having a 'little' bit of segregation isn't right, even if the power brokers in the minority culture might want that.

So no, I don't place any value in the cultural environment we have. Suppose Paradise Lost hadn't been written because some other culture had absorbed europe (say, the mongols - it's just an example). Would the world be culturally poorer? Assuming the same population/art expenditure, not really, because new things will always be produced. The world would be just as culturally rich, but different. The cultures we have today? Arbitrary. So why should value be placed in keeping them as they are? Sure, being part of a culture is a huge part of being a person, expressing yourself and so on. But there's no 'correct' culture, for any one person. Let people do what they want with culture, it's just a thing.

rudatron fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Apr 17, 2015

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

hakimashou posted:

Because this isn't the real left. At the far ends of the political spectrum, there are a pair of cliffs. The benighted souls that for whatever reason find themselves that far out fall off. Down off the cliff, into oblivion.

Sure, it would be nice if these people got a grip and did something helpful instead, but the fringes have always been wastes of human talent, passion, and potential, and we all manage to get by without them. The right has a similar problem, but with a different set of are-you-serious nonsense. So, I think it all evens out.

If there was no howling at the moon right, it might become more of an issue to get these people in the game, but to be honest, I suppose some of their hearts are in the right place, let them tilt at their windmills. It's bad PR, but both sides have bad PR.

Anyway, it gives their idiots something to get upset about. As long as even some portion of the right is fighting its fever-dream private culture war, at least they aren't doing anything that matters.

Because nuking all of europe isn't on the fringe as far as ideas go right?

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

Venom Snake posted:

Not all, just the commun-

oh wait, yeah nuke all of it

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Venom Snake posted:

that's the sixth time in a row you've made the exact same post, congratulations

also lol the guy who wants to nuke europe is still coming across as way more sensible than effectronica and sedanchair

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Clipperton posted:

also lol the guy who wants to nuke europe is still coming across as way more sensible than effectronica and sedanchair

To be honest, a markov chain bot made using Freep posts would come across as more sensible than effectronica and sedanchair.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

rudatron posted:

I don't agree that they do have to temporarily adopt any ritual. Assume you celebrate Christmas, would you alienate someone because they didn't, or because it was different? I wouldn't, and if someone did they're doing a bad thing, which the majority of people will recognize. You'd gain allies if that was the hill you fought on. But if, by exposition, they unconsciously adopt, then there's no solution for what you want here. Suppose that adoption was unconscious, would that only apply to appropriated practices? No, it wouldn't, it would happen at every interaction. Your logic relied on the 'need to communicate' after all. In view of that, aren't you just advocating a kind of 'limited segregation'? Where interaction is limited to some level you, personally, feel comfortable about? I'd rather be consistent: all walls must come down.

But now we come to the real issue, rarely spoken but often implied: "the new meaning will be taught to anyone entering the culture". Why is that a problem? Neither you nor I have the right to demand that someone else adopt our own meaningfulness. They make up their own mind, children especially are not their parent's property. Why does that results in dismantling? Assume there is value in the meanings of the smaller culture, that cannot be found elsewhere. Wouldn't that value-in-meaning always protect it? Alternatively, if meaning is arbitrary, then there is nothing special about one culture over another, so people will just go for the most exposed. So which is more likely?

But okay, we can escape that if there's some value in cultural diversity itself. You argue an analogy to intellectual diversity, but take an interesting perspective on that. The point of intellectual diversity is that differences are always opposed, then perhaps they resolve and new ones surface. Intellectual diversity doesn't exist because there are two people who have different opinions, who exist but who may never meet. The value in the diversity only exists in the interaction. Your demand that cultures not appropriate itself reduces the value from culture diversity, because you're reducing that interaction! What is the value in diversity of cultures if that diversity isn't experienced by anyone? If one culture swallows the other, that's not actually a big deal. New oppositions will always arise so long as the synthesis is still somehow incomplete. To demand that the cultural 'landscape' we have to day stays in place, forever, is to demand stasis. So rather that creating diversity in human thought, you're created a bunch of bubbles that just bounce off each other. At some point you have to let go. Having a 'little' bit of segregation isn't right, even if the power brokers in the minority culture might want that.

So no, I don't place any value in the cultural environment we have. Suppose Paradise Lost hadn't been written because some other culture had absorbed europe (say, the mongols - it's just an example). Would the world be culturally poorer? Assuming the same population/art expenditure, not really, because new things will always be produced. The world would be just as culturally rich, but different. The cultures we have today? Arbitrary. So why should value be placed in keeping them as they are? Sure, being part of a culture is a huge part of being a person, expressing yourself and so on. But there's no 'correct' culture, for any one person. Let people do what they want with culture, it's just a thing.

I said the meaning, because the ritual is shared, in this example. You seem to have a real issue understanding what people say, and this leads you to write quite a lot of unnecessary words, because the rest of the paragraph becomes irrelevant because you didn't get that.

Actually, yes, you do have the right to demand that people adopt your own meaning for things, because believing that murder or theft is good doesn't make you immune to the consequences of committing it. I'm sure this doesn't count as valid in your book, but it's true. Furthermore, becoming part of a culture means adopting the practices and associated meanings of that culture.

But the negative consequence is that the culture no longer has that practice anymore, because their meaning is lost and the meaning of the outer culture replaces it. You don't believe that it matters, that if a culture is valuable it can survive anything, but there are a number of people that disagree and you are attempting to impose on them. Furthermore, if this happens enough, the culture falls apart because it no longer has the interlocking set of practices and ideas that sustain it.

But of course you immediately decide to go into claiming that it's oppressors within black culture or Lakota culture who drive this, who are attempting to segregate their people. This is actually a little infuriating, but of course you are being reasonable in tone as you declare that the average Anishinaabe person is a dupe of the sinister leaders within their society if they don't like the desecration of their religious tradition, so you're much more right than the psychotroll homosexual. The fun part is that you declare that appropriation is necessary in order to have the full range cultural interaction, and since you won't define what definition you're using, you get to smirk as you move it around between definitions. So write out your definition, and I'll actually respond.

Then we get to the bizarre portion. Here's where you assume that when I said people move between cultures regularly I didn't mean anything of the sort. Here's where you assume that cultural richness is invariant, and that human actions can't affect it at all, in which case there's no reason to oppose anything I am saying. Here's where you say things that would make you sound like you're suffering from a deep depression, if you actually meant them.

------

What's fascinating about this thread is that there are no intermediate positions. There is nobody saying that cultural appropriation is only a small problem, only people saying it's not a problem. There is nobody saying that people take it too far sometimes, only people saying that you're racist if you think it's real. There is nobody saying that cultural appropriation may be somewhat positive and somewhat negative, only people saying it's purely good.

It almost makes you think that for many of the people arguing against it, it's not about the actual details of the issue, just about stating your opposition to the kind of person you dislike and crowing about how bad they are. Or that cultural appropriation threatens people so much that they can't accept it at all. They have to reject it completely. Which is frankly a bizarre thing to believe.

Clipperton posted:

Reasonableness will be the death of us all, for someone will convince idiots like you that it's sensible to kill yourself and you will do it.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

You heard it first here guys. Drinking water is sometimes problematic.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

rudatron posted:

Appropriation doesn't lead to a diversity of thought, it impedes it. When the majority culture appropriates a thing it just reshapes it to fit into the already-existing molds that everything in the culture already fits into. Cultural appropriation of Buddhist meditation doesn't lead to a new take on it, it just slaps "TOTALLY BUDDHIST YA'LL" on The Secret, in the same way that new age white "sufi" Don't believe in tawhid and deny the Shahada because they are dippy crystal healers who are identical to every white new age fakir, guru, bodhisattva, etc in their beliefs and practices.

Like Effectronica said, when this happens the culture basically tries to impose these definitions on the original culture, because a lot of the appropriators are the ones that want authenticity. If you can't get it because your beliefs and practices are different, the best way is to reshape them so that they match your image instead.

Really, a lot of the more interesting points (what about cultural sellouts?) are talked about in the Znamenski book I mentioned earlier, seriously go read that book.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

ppropriation doesn't lead to a diversity of thought, it impedes it. When the majority culture appropriates a thing it just reshapes it to fit into the already-existing molds that everything in the culture already fits into. Cultural appropriation of Buddhist meditation doesn't lead to a new take on it.
Really? Because your example seems to show quite the opposite.
A new, superficial, "new age", Buddhist-like subculture has just emerged. You imply that's a bad thing, but why? It is not authentic but that's a neutral characteristic. You might think so, but that's about that.
Were these hippies you like to punch to take up completely authentic Buddhism, what would be the added value to diversity? None.

quote:

There is nobody saying that cultural appropriation may be somewhat positive and somewhat negative, only people saying it's purely good.
I think most people who disagree on this thread seems to be having a relatively value-free approach to cultural appropriation.
Cultural appropriation is a mechanism, no different from gravity, of how different cultures interact and share artifacts. It is "good" only in the sense that more cultural appropriation means more sharing and more diversity (the shallow, superficial kind expressed above). It is "bad" only in as much as it is affected pre-existing and exogenous economic and political inequalities.
The view from here is that rudatron thinks that you can only stop cultural appropriation by dividing and segregating cultures (a terrible thing) while you think the "quality" of cultural appropriation can be improved. But I am not convinced you made that point convincing.

wateroverfire
Jul 3, 2010

Arglebargle III posted:

Perhaps the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Makes you think.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CarrKnight posted:

I think most people who disagree on this thread seems to be having a relatively value-free approach to cultural appropriation.
Cultural appropriation is a mechanism, no different from gravity, of how different cultures interact and share artifacts. It is "good" only in the sense that more cultural appropriation means more sharing and more diversity (the shallow, superficial kind expressed above). It is "bad" only in as much as it is affected pre-existing and exogenous economic and political inequalities.
The view from here is that rudatron thinks that you can only stop cultural appropriation by dividing and segregating cultures (a terrible thing) while you think the "quality" of cultural appropriation can be improved. But I am not convinced you made that point convincing.

I am defining cultural appropriation differently from you, and using it specifically to refer to a certain set of interactions, rather than all interactions that involve incorporating something from another culture.

Arglebargle III posted:

Well, hopefully you stop drinking water completely, but the universe is not quite that kind.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

Effectronica posted:

I am defining cultural appropriation differently from you, and using it specifically to refer to a certain set of interactions, rather than all interactions that involve incorporating something from another culture.

But that's exactly my point. To you there is a subset of lower-quality interactions that need to be removed. But the burden of proof you have is that you need to show this subset of interactions:
1- Are actually bad
2- Can be halted without affecting every other kind of interactions
3- Can be halted given that real inequalities exist and will not change for a long time.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

CarrKnight posted:

But that's exactly my point. To you there is a subset of lower-quality interactions that need to be removed. But the burden of proof you have is that you need to show this subset of interactions:
1- Are actually bad
2- Can be halted without affecting every other kind of interactions
3- Can be halted given that real inequalities exist and will not change for a long time.

Actually, the second requires proof of a negative the way you've phrased it, and the third requires justification from you, but maybe you could actually respond to what was concretely said and explain what it is you don't find convincing? I can rewrite it, quote it, whatever.

CarrKnight
May 24, 2013

quote:

Actually, the second requires proof of a negative the way you've phrased it, and the third requires justification from you, but maybe you could actually respond to what was concretely said and explain what it is you don't find convincing? I can rewrite it, quote it, whatever.

Okay, let's try this. Can you go through 3 examples of "bad" cultural appropriation (you can dig previously posted examples obviously) explaining who are the victims, why, and how should the exchange be shaped differently without altering the existing social inequalities and without assuming away people general ignorance of what they are appropriating?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Omi-Polari posted:

I just don't see much actual evidence that black artists are being passed over for white ones in 21st century America. I mean, if you look at the Billboard Hot 100 it's hardly whitewashed. It also tends to vary, there are sometimes more white artists on the Top 10, a lot of times actually fewer. Sometimes no white males, etc. Sometimes no whites at all. So if you're going to posit a zero-sum relationship then you need to demonstrate it.

Largely the evidence for your argument is anecdotal and involves individuals, but the trend is quite the opposite:

http://www.businessinsider.com/charts-white-people-are-no-longer-relevant-in-pop-music-in-terms-of-sales-2012-3?op=1

You already agreed there was a trend though when you accepted that this problem has existed even in living memory with rock and roll. So is racism just over now? You're sounding like my dad "well yes there was discrimination in the 60s, but then Martin Luther King happened so obviously any black person questioning our post-racial meritocracy is just whining".

You can't divorce what's happening from the context of a racist society in which it exists. You asked why people talk about Iggy Azalea: I told you. Now you're asking for...what...a signed record company contract stating "we are promoting you because you are white and we are huge racists"?

Omi-Polari posted:

Well, I'd stick up for Madonna, too. I think she vogued because she had deep admiration for her gay fans, who reciprocated that. And I think her approach to female sexuality is akin to how a lot of gay men (I count myself here) see their own experiences. In any case, a lot of gay artists have done very well remixing her music.

Hey I like Madonna too. The point isn't whether Madonna did something bad. The point is what does it say about a society that require(d?) gay culture to be divorced from its roots and acted out by a straight woman before it was acceptable to like it and purchase it, while the actual inventors of it are marginalized and ignored for being too threatening to suburban sensibilities.

Omi-Polari posted:

No, liberals are not spending a lot of time on this. Hillary's campaign will not mention this, Obama is not talking about this, the most public civil rights campaigns aren't talking about Iggy Azalea. Appropriation is really limited to academic discussions or obscure liberal blogs, so it kinda seems like you're just seeking out conversations to get annoyed about. There's a pretty amusing irony in complaining that other people are talking about "weak sauce" instead of important stuff...from someone who is spending time complaining about what conversations liberals have.

America is a big country with 300 million people. There are going to be lots of subjects brought up all over the place and something doesn't have to be the most important thing ever to be worth talking about. "Aren't there more important things" is just a way to shut down conversation. Aren't there more important things than shutting down conversations?

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Chicken Parmesan is problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

^^^^^^^^^^^
Jesus dude get a new gimmick, you've made the same lovely joke like a dozen times.

• Locked thread