Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bucksmash
Mar 11, 2002

Guppy's Paw is a grab every time item for me. I'll convert all but one or two red hearts so I don't have to spend soul hearts on devil deals. Plus that's 1/3 of Guppy mode right there. If you dont want it then just grab and then replace it with your original item or whatever the next pickup is so it counts toward Guppy anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MatildaTheHun
Aug 31, 2011

here's the thing donovan, I'm always hungry

Darth Windu posted:

Do you guys actually make use of the paw?? It seems kinda worthless outside of that situation. I much prefer to have a lot of red harts and a few silver to give me a buffer and to spend red harts on devil room items.

The more red hearts you have the worse your run is going, at least when you're really good at the game. Basically, you need to learn to never get hit. It kinda sucks.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I wish Epic Fetus didn't overwrite EVERYTHING. :argh:

E: there were items that I was totally unable to pick up due to how the animations work. I think if an item is surrounded by other non-passives on all sides?

omeg fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Apr 17, 2015

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

There should be an achievement for collecting 100 breakfasts or so in a run.

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

omeg posted:

I wish Epic Fetus didn't overwrite EVERYTHING. :argh:

E: there were items that I was totally unable to pick up due to how the animations work. I think if an item is surrounded by other non-passives on all sides?

This is why I stick to 32 or 64 chests when I have Blank Card + Jera, you can still pick and choose what you want.

Princeps32
Nov 9, 2012
All I have to do for godhead and d100 is boss rush with the lost, and it's really driving me crazy. If the rewards weren't so cool I would say it's not worth it, it's much harder to pull off than finishing either the chest or the dark room.

The last three times I died twice to the bloat's bullshit, then I ran into a bloody poop that blended into other blood even though I lucked out on broken watch slowdown AND mom's knife. I've unfortunately never gotten holy mantle in there, I wish I could just for the one extra chance.

I look forward to never ever playing as the lost again. gently caress.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Princeps32 posted:

All I have to do for godhead and d100 is boss rush with the lost, and it's really driving me crazy. If the rewards weren't so cool I would say it's not worth it, it's much harder to pull off than finishing either the chest or the dark room.

The last three times I died twice to the bloat's bullshit, then I ran into a bloody poop that blended into other blood even though I lucked out on broken watch slowdown AND mom's knife. I've unfortunately never gotten holy mantle in there, I wish I could just for the one extra chance.

I look forward to never ever playing as the lost again. gently caress.

You might want to wait for the DLC to come out which will have more areas to clear :(

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Oh boy, I just got Death in the Womb!

... as my only Horseman of the run!

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

I'm used to go through a game slow and steady, thinking through which room I'll visit next if there's options and all that.

How do you guys play to activate bosh rush? Try to find a beeline to the treasure rooms and the boss room and skip the rest?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

VWB9 KK7Q as Eden is just a really, really good run.

Forget Me Now in the first Item Room and the Dead Cat in the first Curse Room. Abadon and Whore of Babylon in the first Devil Deal. You can get Pandora's Box the second time around on Basement 1 in the Trap Room (I think; might be the Cursed Room) and I also got Small Rock on the same floor. If you do all the Cursed Rooms, Devil Deals, and Trap Rooms, you'll have Guppy by Depths 1. You'll also find 20/20. Depths 2 Devil Deal has Death's Touch. Epic Fetus also shows up in the Depths 2 Item Room if that's your speed. Not sure if Trinkets are seeded, but I also got Mom's Pearl on Caves 1 (?) and the Curved Horn on Depths 2. Goat Head also shows up on Depths 2 for a little extra "oomph" near the finish line.

There's also Cursed Eye and Soy Milk on Caves 1 and Catacombs 2, respectively, if I remember correctly. I passed on both.

Finally, you get a ton of goodies on the Chest: Fat Odd Mushroom, Thin Odd Mushroom, Sacrificial Dagger, and Guillotine.

This run starts powerful and by the end goes completely off the rails. Nothing truly gamebreaking but it's an exceptional seed in most respects.

The ideology eater
Oct 20, 2010

IT'S GARBAGE DAY AT WENDY'S FUCK YEAH WE EATIN GOOD TONIGHT

Time_pants posted:

VWB9 KK7Q as Eden is just a really, really good run.

Forget Me Now in the first Item Room and the Dead Cat in the first Curse Room. Abadon and Whore of Babylon in the first Devil Deal. You can get Pandora's Box the second time around on Basement 1 in the Trap Room (I think; might be the Cursed Room) and I also got Small Rock on the same floor. If you do all the Cursed Rooms, Devil Deals, and Trap Rooms, you'll have Guppy by Depths 1. You'll also find 20/20. Depths 2 Devil Deal has Death's Touch. Epic Fetus also shows up in the Depths 2 Item Room if that's your speed. Not sure if Trinkets are seeded, but I also got Mom's Pearl on Caves 1 (?) and the Curved Horn on Depths 2. Goat Head also shows up on Depths 2 for a little extra "oomph" near the finish line.

There's also Cursed Eye and Soy Milk on Caves 1 and Catacombs 2, respectively, if I remember correctly. I passed on both.

Finally, you get a ton of goodies on the Chest: Fat Odd Mushroom, Thin Odd Mushroom, Sacrificial Dagger, and Guillotine.

This run starts powerful and by the end goes completely off the rails. Nothing truly gamebreaking but it's an exceptional seed in most respects.

Just tried this and it really is a great one. I did get Soy Milk and that along with ipecac in the chest was absolutely crazy. I think if I were gonna do it 100% right I wouldn't have picked up triple shot in there and kept my firerate higher but oh well.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT

Carbon dioxide posted:

I'm used to go through a game slow and steady, thinking through which room I'll visit next if there's options and all that.

How do you guys play to activate bosh rush? Try to find a beeline to the treasure rooms and the boss room and skip the rest?

Getting a hold of a teleport card / pill before Depths 2 is useful, since then you can beeline to the Mom fight and teleport out once you're done with the Boss Rush, saving you time from clearing the floor. So if you have bombs, crack open any skull you come across. But ultimately it pretty much depends on the gear the game gives you. If you can clear rooms in a few seconds you also have more time to visit shops and curse rooms. On the other hand, if the game is stingy with tears up and damage upgrades, you're most likely not gonna make it to the boss rush, not to mention have enough firepower to get through the drat thing. It's basically a crapshoot.

I usually check out curse rooms on every run, since they might hold items from the devil pool, not to mention Guppy items. But it's really a question of preference I suppose.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Boy, I caught the RNG in a really bad mood.

First I got Curse of Darkness in Utero II.

Then it gave me a 2x2 room with a small army of Leeches.

Then in the Cathedral, it gave me a 2x2 room with two Envies, one Super Envy, and a bunch of those flying invincible skulls.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Codiekitty posted:

Then in the Cathedral, it gave me a 2x2 room with two Envies, one Super Envy, and a bunch of those flying invincible skulls.

I hate that room, it always takes way too long to clear.

omeg
Sep 3, 2012

I just bomb through that one unless I'm low on bombs.

Felix_Cat
Sep 15, 2008

Carbon dioxide posted:

As mentioned it very much depends on your damage output. Generally I find I'll be clearing floors mostly or completely (depending on the run), but not doing much in the way of looking for secret rooms and definitely not clearing poop and fires. If you play a few rounds while keeping an eye on the clock you'll get a feel for how fast you need to go and how much time you should be leaving as a safety cushion.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Carbon dioxide posted:

I find the treasure room and the shop and head to the boss. If there are things to do on the way I'll do them: curse rooms, secret rooms, blood donation machines, blowing up skulls/x rocks/mushrooms etc. As judas I'll usually get to the boss rush room in ~12 minutes and as eden it can vary between like 15 and 22 minutes depending on how terrible the run is going. Finding a teleport is a good tip. Most of the time I can't be bothered to do the whole rush unless I have a really good build going.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

HAHA, I guess the game's apologizing for being in such a bad mood last time.

THANKS GAME.

Ayn Randi
Mar 12, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Just got my second heart kill and a devil door and ended up going all the way through sheol and beating satan :toot:

It was a pretty ridiculous run with cain, had brimstone by level 3 or 4 and flight not long after and plenty of +damage as well as a dark bum. Mom's wig was a constant supply of spiders and had a couple of familiars too, just sailed through everything with maxed out spirit hearts. Took a pile of damage to satan, down to my last heart or two but managed to pull it out. I had a TON of speed but i kept getting hit by satan's second foot no matter how i ran. Still, feels good man. I actually went to sheol on my first kill as well having goats head but got stomped before I even found the boss room. Time for another

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Yay, I got my first ever infinite reroll setup. Playing as Eden, got the D6 in Basement II, Scapular in another level, then after beating Mom I got an Angel Room offering me a Prayer Card. After I bombed and beat the angel, I rerolled the card and key piece into the Wafer and the Habit.

I didn't get the Sharp Plug, so I have to slam into spikes to charge the D6.

Seed's M498 EPYV (however, I haven't unlocked a lot of this game's items including any of the Lost's poo poo, so I don't know if anything's going to be different for anyone else)

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Had a run that almost went totally bad. Had a ton of red heart containers but nothing super powerful (biggest was fear shot scorpio and common cold) I died but guppys collar brought me back shot a rainbow poop then beat the boss and won. :feelsgood:

Iny
Jan 11, 2012

I HOPE YOU LIKE BOMBS

quote:

there will be around 20 new trinkets in afterbirth, in the past i used trinkets as a way for the player to “pad” their character with some minor stats and allow for a some slight choice of customization over the course of the game. i designed trinkets to be about 1/3rd of an item in terms of power level and for the most part all the original trinkets references existing items in some way.

in afterbirth i tried my best to design trinkets that acted more like combo pieces than just stat padding or minor luck changes. i feel like a lot of the new trinkets in rebirth added to gameplay, combo pieces like the petrified poop, callus, lucky rock and store credit all changed the way you played when you picked them up. you cant always strike oil with new items, but i personally think the best items in Isaac are the ones that change how you play when you get them, make you retrace your steps and reward peoples memories.

the new trinket this week are the Safety Scissors.

experienced players will instantly think about going infinite against war.. but this trinket combos with loads of stuff.

Aside from just being a great way to break the game, it will also protect against those unwanted troll bombs and also combo with more than a few items in afterbirth.

TUNE IN NEXT WEEK SAME BUTT TIME SAME BUTT PLACE!

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I do like bombs. I like bombs a lot, in fact. Thank you, video game, for giving me more bomb related things.

omeg posted:

How likely it is to get a damage up on the first floor?

Well, you could be Azazel

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Wonderful. Another item that is some kind of scissors. Just what I need.

edit: that is a pretty cool addition, though.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Just had a pretty crazy run with Isaac. Accidentally stepped on a 6 point dice room and rerolled my D6 away on the first floor. But I ultimately got hold of a bunch of stuff, and eventually after doing about 20-30 tours in the Chest with Undefined, my tears looked like this:

One tear was eventually bigger than a 2x2 room. Monstro's Lung had the craziest effect on giant floating tears where they pretty much just flashed on the screen for an instant and killed everything in the room.

Couldn't find a Dad's Key though, so I didn't get to one shot Mega Satan. :(

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Slafety Scissors look cool and all, but am I the only one mortified by the existence of troll bombs that explode into smaller troll bombs? :stonk:

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

notoriousman posted:

Slafety Scissors look cool and all, but am I the only one mortified by the existence of troll bombs that explode into smaller troll bombs? :stonk:

I don't find it to be all that embarrassing personally

buddychrist10
Nov 4, 2009

Obtuse.....even hokey.

notoriousman posted:

If I had to guess Troll Bombs won't do that normally. There's probably some new item that gives the Cricket's Body effect to bombs.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

notoriousman posted:

Slafety Scissors

:allears:

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

I just one-shot ??? with Epic Fetus.. that's a first for me. If they had been tears, they would've done over 100 damage a piece. Accomplished with Azazel, Epic Fetus, Polyphemus, Eve's Mascara and a few other damage ups + Book of Belial.

edit: for reference, Isaac starts with 3.5 damage per tear.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Pivotal Lever posted:

I just one-shot ??? with Epic Fetus.. that's a first for me. If they had been tears, they would've done over 100 damage a piece. Accomplished with Azazel, Epic Fetus, Polyphemus, Eve's Mascara and a few other damage ups + Book of Belial.

edit: for reference, Isaac starts with 3.5 damage per tear.

That reminds me, one thing I miss from Community Remix is the floating numbers for damage. I like big numbers.

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Huh, Lemon Mishap is surprisingly not useless.

Oh, there's plenty of things I'd rather have, but the When Life Gives You Lemons challenge was nowhere as painful as I expected.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Codiekitty posted:

Huh, Lemon Mishap is surprisingly not useless.

Oh, there's plenty of things I'd rather have, but the When Life Gives You Lemons challenge was nowhere as painful as I expected.

That whole challenge is Edmund saying "yeah I know Lemon Mishap was awful in vanilla but it doesn't suck now"

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Interesting ??? run: KY3A XZCH

D20 in the first treasure room, Goat Head in the curse room of Basement II (I think). First Devil Room has the Nail and Mom's Knife and Guppy Head in a chest, but if you pass the other two up you'll get Angel Rooms offering you the Wafer I think in Depths I, and the Mitre in Womb I (and the Celtic Cross somewhere in between, and a loving 2 Eternal Heart room). There's quite a few Luck Up pills, too. Treasure Room in Depths II offers you Undefined.

WHO'S WISHING THEY'D KEPT THAT D20 NOW, HUH?

Oh, and in Necroplis I, stay the hell out of the room south of the starting room. God, I hate those four Mask/Heart rooms.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I've only had one run similar to this: 2JD0 ZAY4 (normal)

You find 4 different #5 dice rooms and a forget me now, allowing you to repeat a total of 5 floors for extra items. I played as cain so if you don't get the keys/golden keys needed to access all of them then it's probably the luck stat difference. Oh yeah and I got caves 2 pandora's box in a shop and used it on spot for a latch key, you might decide to go with black candle instead. The luck stat wont affect level generation though, just consumable drops.

I thought e. coli + midas touch turned enemies into golden poops on contact, that wasn't happening for me.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Got a pretty good start for a Lost-run just now with Guppy's Collar and the Dead Cat in the first devil room. Tried to get into a Curse room in Depths II because I distinctly remember that you used to get out of there after sacrificing two lives on the way out (it would send you back into the room the first two times), but apparently it's been fixed at some point. So apparently there's no going in there anymore unless you have the Holy Mantle or a teleportation of some sort. Anyone have any clue when this was fixed?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
It's not. You just have to creep out very very slowly (the damage applies slightly before you exit the room, but if you go through at speed the room change starts before you die. When you get brought back to life you get put into the room you were in before, which means... back in the curse room)

Codiekitty
Nov 7, 2014

Or if you have a bomb, you could blow yourself up to respawn outside of the room.

Wugga
Oct 30, 2006

I BEAT MEAT
Well that explains it. Weird that I've been able to creep out of there completely unaware of this for the longest time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pivotal Lever
Sep 9, 2003

TQES 4NLV - Isaac

A Ludovico Brimstone run with Lump of Coal along with Infestation 2 and Guppy for a hilarious insect army. The size of the ring changes based on how far away you are. Ludovico is in the item room adjacent to spawn, grab it and head across to the curse room for a teleport to the devil room. Reroll The Nail into Lord of the Pit to ensure devil deals, otherwise you'll get an angel room on caves 2. Infestation 2 and Lump of Coal are on basement 2. In the caves 2 devil deal, buy Guppy's Head and reroll it into Brimstone. Enjoy. Also, you can pick up Dark Bum if you use 3-4 rerolls on the item room pedestal on depths 2, there are a bunch of batteries on that level too.