Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Mitt Romney posted:

Can someone explain to me why Clinton going to a Chipotle is scandalous and breaking news? I feel like I'm out of the loop or missing something. I've read a couple news articles and all they say is what she ordered.

It makes me feel confident that if going to Chipotle is the most scandalous thing they can dig up, that Clinton is safe from any surprises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mitt Romney posted:

Can someone explain to me why Clinton going to a Chipotle is scandalous and breaking news? I feel like I'm out of the loop or missing something. I've read a couple news articles and all they say is what she ordered.

Because America is loving insane. There is no logical or reason and any attempt to apply either to the situation will only drive you to madness.

Rubio should have announced from the rocking chair of a Cracker Barrel.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Mitt Romney posted:

Not meant snarky, but I think the fact that you clicked on those articles answers the question.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

A Neurotic Jew posted:

I know that elections are largely determined by the state of the economy, but I do wonder about what impact Obamacare might have. Is there any precedent for the fate of a newly implemented entitlement to hinge on an upcoming election the way Obamacare does? I have to imagine that the tangible benefits of Obamacare might be difficult for people to let go of regardless of how they feel about it in the abstract. I am hoping we get some good stats about this as things heat up.

Not really. Nixon had no intentions of rolling back the Great Society.

PPACA is weird because so much of its public perception hinges on its personal associaton with Obama.

People don't dislike Obama because he produced PPACA: they dislike PPACA because it was produced by Obama. I don't think that was ever really the case for anything Johnson or FDR did.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Mitt Romney posted:

It means that, somehow, this primary is going to be more magical than the last one. I didn't think it was possible :allears:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

quote:

But he has a family, literally, because of Chipotle. He started working for Chipotle, in Chicago, a little more than three years ago, and met a co-worker named Jessica Davis. Now they’re married, with a son, Dax Jefferson Chiet, who just turned 2. Chiet, who has, on his upper right arm, a tattoo of his son’s footprints as a newborn, is the apprentice at his Chipotle, and his wife is the apprentice at a different Chipotle, a few miles north. She has a tattoo of the chili pepper in the Chipotle logo — he’s thinking about getting one.

A good name.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
"These little people, their lives are structured around their work! They meet spouses there! Just like real people." -beltway journalists

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Joementum posted:

Of course.

I can think about 100 reasons that I will not deliberately listen to this interview.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

I hope John Bolton runs just because of his stache.

Bring back facial hair

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

Spaceman Future! posted:

I can think about 100 reasons that I will not deliberately listen to this interview.

I'm having trouble figuring out if the Adam Corolla part or Ted Cruz part is the worst aspect.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

DOOP posted:

Bring back facial hair

Considering he'd likely visit the apocalypse on earth if elected, the post-apocalyptic "no possible way to shave without grievous infection" beards will be glorious.

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

I have gone crazy eyes multiple times from burritogate.

This election hurts so good.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
One thing that is apparent that may affect the race more than we think is just how goddamn famous Hillary Clinton is. Since she announced her candidacy, the media has been literally reporting on her every move. She just has a media presence that is incredibly heavy and takes a lot of the air out of the room. I can't see the media reporting on Jeb Bush eating a burrito with the fervor the press is reporting on Hillary. I think her celebrity is going to be very difficult for the Republicans to contend with. And think of the conventions. Hillary will close the show flanked by Bill Clinton and Barack Obama, supposedly the 3 most admired and famous people in America. The Republican convention will be Jeb and some video messages from George Sr and Dubya. You can't even put them on stage together without looking like an odious dynasty.

Cigar Aficionado fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Apr 17, 2015

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Marco Rubio Eats Meal, Probably - AP

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

The Republican convention will be Jeb and some video messages from George Sr and Dubya. You can't even put them on stage without looking like an odious dynasty.

Maybe they can get Clint Eastwood back.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Jeb Bush’s candidacy has a problem, says brother George W Bush: “'Me'. It’s an easy line to say, ‘Haven’t we had enough Bushes?’ After all, even my mother said, ‘Yes'. That’s why you won’t see me out there, and he doesn’t need to defend me, and he’s totally different from me."

Hillary, Bill, and Obama on their convention floor, vs Jeb Bush, maybe standing next to Scott Walker or something.

As long as we can get to November 2016th without the economy collapsing or a major terrorist attack occurring on American soil, it will be very tough for people to look at those 2 track records and go "yeah, let's go with the GOP".

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Cigar Aficionado posted:

I can't see the media reporting on Jeb Bush eating a burrito with the fervor the press is reporting on Hillary.

Why would the media care if Jeb eats cuisine resembling his native Hispanic culture's?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Joementum posted:

Of course.

What's my dad doing in Israel?!
Repairing the trust after Obama cursed the Jewish people.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

DOOP posted:

Bring back facial hair

Yes please. Anything to further strengthen the perception of correlation between facial hair and being a shithead.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Vladimir Putin posted:

I remember in 2012 between two betting sites where you could bet on the general election and 528 running some pretty accurate quantitative analysis you could arbitrage yourself into a small fortune.

poo poo, with that line you could bet $650 on Clinton, $250 on Jeb, and $100 on Walker to probably make $300. Rubio doesn't deserve those odds.

(And maybe lose everything if Clinton has health problems, or the offshore gambling site arbitrarily decides to gently caress you over since you have no recourse)

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Yikes!

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7080806

quote:

Forty-one percent now approve of Walker's performance, while 56 percent disapprove. In October, 49 percent approved and 47 percent disapproved.

quote:

The survey finds an especially sharp drop among political independents, who approved of Walker by a roughly 3-point margin last year but now disapprove by a 24-point margin. While Republicans still support him by an overwhelming 73-point margin, that's down from nearly 90 points in October.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mitt Romney posted:

Clinton does.a.thing, thing bad.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

Aurubin posted:

*Game of Thrones reference* Also, John Bolton likes torture.

Ramsay was a Snow, not a Bolton. Read the books, you lepton.
:goonsay:

(Seriously, I really hope we get more "The Bastard of Bolton" references out of John Bolton's quixotic Presidential campaign.)

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Alter Ego posted:

Ramsay was a Snow, not a Bolton. Read the books, you lepton.
:goonsay:

(Seriously, I really hope we get more "The Bastard of Bolton" references out of John Bolton's quixotic Presidential campaign.)
Never call him that! John Bolton, not John Snow, never Snow, never, you have to remember his name, or he will hurt you.

(This could also segue nicely into some "You know nothing" jokes.)

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

DOOP posted:

Bring back facial hair

You must not live in a city. Every white male under 40 now has a beard.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Welcome to day seven of the Chipotle primary. Here's a history of candidates tipping.

quote:

President Obama has gained a reputation as a big tipper dating back to his first presidential campaign in 2008.

One month before Clinton conceded the nomination to Obama, he stopped at The Raleigh Times Bar in North Carolina, where he reportedly left an $18 tip on a $2 Pabst Blue Ribbon beer.

Obama and Vice President Biden lunched at Ray’s Hell Burger in Arlington, Va. in 2009, and the president left $5 in the tip jar.

And during the government shutdown in Oct. 2013, Obama and Biden walked to the Taylor Gourmet sandwich shop on Pennsylvania Ave., which was giving a 10 percent discount to furloughed government workers.

The president paid a $21.56 lunch tab and left a tip of $18.44.

Obama hasn’t always remembered to pay his bills, however.

After a Father’s Day meal at Kenny’s BBQ Smokehouse in Northeast Washington, the president forgot to pay his $55.58 tab. The White House cleared up the mistake and paid the bill by the end of the day.

Democrats painted Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney as an out of touch plutocrat during the 2012 campaign. To show he was a man in the people, Romney stopped by fast food chains on the trail.

He visited a Chipotle in Denver one month before Election Day. He left behind a $1.75 tip on a $18.25 bill.

Hillary’s husband, Bill Clinton, was fond of eating at McDonald’s during his time in the White House.

During a campaign stop in Michigan for vice president Al Gore in 2000, Clinton stopped his motorcade at a McDonald’s for an impromptu meal. He was accompanied by then-First Lady Hillary Clinton and their daughter Chelsea.

Clinton reportedly pulled out several $20 bills to pay his bill, but the worker at the counter told him it was not necessary.

“It's on the house, didn't they tell you?” the teenage girl said, according to Newsday, adding, “Unless you want to give tips.”

Newsday reported that Clinton slid “what appeared to be a $20 bill” back across the counter and said, “You guys go out and have some fun.”

The question is: what does this mean for Hillary? :iiam:

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Meanwhile, in New Hampshire....

Woodchip
Mar 28, 2010

Good Citizen posted:

Yes please. Anything to further strengthen the perception of correlation between facial hair and being a shithead.

~Hipster skates by on razor scooter~

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
You know it's a totally relevant political scandal when the article has to give background on the past 25 years of the thing in question in order to make it seem relevant.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU

Joementum posted:

Sounds like a late night "male enhancement" drug/supplement.

Franco Potente
Jul 9, 2010
Gilmore/Chafee Unity Ticket, 2016.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Lindsey has given up on his Presidential bid.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/dc/lindsey-graham-guns-ted-cruz

quote:

"I think an informed electorate is probably a better check than, you know, guns in the streets."

"I think in a democracy the best check on government is voter participation. I think the First Amendment probably protects us more there."

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Sir Tonk posted:

Lindsey has given up on his Presidential bid.

He's just planning on running for president of the confederacy.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

You're not going to see this much presidential star power in one room anywhere else

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†ðŸÂ†

FAUXTON posted:

He's just planning on running for president of the confederacy.

The quote is kind of the opposite actually.

Lindsey is just going for the adult in the room kind of fake campaign.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I'm Martin O'Malley and here's a list of issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8u2qf-8T8

Aurubin
Mar 17, 2011

Joementum posted:

Any man who wears a ring like that will not get my vote.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Aurubin posted:

Any man who wears a ring like that will not get my vote.

Until you find out its probably worth more than your car and was a gift from an insurance or oil company.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
What about a ring.... like this?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Joementum posted:

I'm Martin O'Malley and here's a list of issues.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8u2qf-8T8

Dude doesn't even approve of his own message.

• Locked thread