Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bytebark
Sep 26, 2004

I hate Illinois Nazis
NTSB report on on the cause of the head-on CTA collision a couple years ago (not the O'Hare wreck, but just as interesting): http://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/RAB1502.pdf

I remember when this accident happened; it was the first day of the annual APTA (American Public Transportation) convention ... being hosted in Chicago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
Question on rail weight: It looks like 141lb is the heaviest rail now made, and PRR once produced 155lb rail. If heavier rail implies heavier freight and faster freight, why not go heavier? Is it an economic thing of rail cost vs benefits, or benefits vs installation / maintenance, or weight vs strength, or just manufacturability?

Aslo, accident time a mile from where I used to live: a contractor for Washington DC Metro had a crane accidently knock down a pedestrian bridge on to the tracks. Not only closed the Metro tracks, but apparently the CSX / MARC main line (in the foreground of the picture in the link) as well. You would have thought they would be aware of the bridge, it's been there for 20+ years.
http://wtop.com/prince-georges-county/2015/04/bridge-collapses-onto-metro-marc-train-tracks-in-prince-georges-co/

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Question on rail weight: It looks like 141lb is the heaviest rail now made, and PRR once produced 155lb rail. If heavier rail implies heavier freight and faster freight, why not go heavier? Is it an economic thing of rail cost vs benefits, or benefits vs installation / maintenance, or weight vs strength, or just manufacturability?

I'm betting that improvements in steel metallurgy allows 141 pound rail from today to be as good or better than 155 pound from however many years ago.

Plus the savings in not having to deal with rail that heavy. So yeah, economic thing.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
God drat, I do apologize for the delay, but here's the quasi- dash cam footage of the streetcar line I work. Sorry for the vertical video, but I couldn't find another way to set my phone up where the camera could still see out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5adNDsDTw

For reference, here's the streetcar I was operating in the video. Car 369 was built in 1925, measures 48' 10" (almost 15 meters), and weighs in at 25 tons (roughly 23,000 Kilos). Ignore my conductor doing a weird curtsy; he was trying to get out of the photo.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

quote:

"The Railroad Man is a soldier in the "Army of Labor" to which he serves a Union whose enemy is the corrupt men that are those Companies. Those Companies only goal is to exploit the Army in every way and cause dissention in its ranks. They [the Companies] know that by playing the Army's various Divisions or Crafts against one another, the United Front will collapse and the exploitation will continue! That is why WE RAILROAD MEN, regardless of craft or individual achievement, must stand together as ONE BROTHERHOOD UNITED THROUGHOUT so that we may thwart the Enemy. That we may have a safe working environment and be paid the honest wage we deserve. To force the corrupt man's coffers open and provide THE RAILROAD MAN the dignity he is equated."
- Eugene V. Debbs Essay on the formation of the American Railroad Union

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tex Avery posted:

God drat, I do apologize for the delay, but here's the quasi- dash cam footage of the streetcar line I work. Sorry for the vertical video, but I couldn't find another way to set my phone up where the camera could still see out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9I5adNDsDTw

For reference, here's the streetcar I was operating in the video. Car 369 was built in 1925, measures 48' 10" (almost 15 meters), and weighs in at 25 tons (roughly 23,000 Kilos). Ignore my conductor doing a weird curtsy; he was trying to get out of the photo.

Oh hey, isnt that one of the W-class trams from Melbourne?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
Yup. It's a W2.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tex Avery posted:

Yup. It's a W2.

One thing I've always wondered with the W-Classes; What's the chugging noise they make when they idle? The one around roughly the two-minute mark. Also as a bit of trivia, the Melbourne ones don't have whistles - they just have a bell.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012
The chugging noise is the standard two cylinder air compressor. The whistle on this car was added around two years ago. It's definitely a Melbourne tram.

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

Just gonna leave this here

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Oh Giraffe you're havin' a laugh!

Tex Avery posted:

The chugging noise is the standard two cylinder air compressor. The whistle on this car was added around two years ago. It's definitely a Melbourne tram.

Why the whistle? Is it a historically accurate for the city, or what?

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

ctishman posted:

Why the whistle? Is it a historically accurate for the city, or what?

Because we are a transit agency that happens to operate vintage vehicles, certain bits of historical accuracy had to be sacrificed for safety purposes. Nothing says "get out of the way" like a trombone whistle while not pissing off the neighbors too much.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

Tex Avery posted:

Because we are a transit agency that happens to operate vintage vehicles, certain bits of historical accuracy had to be sacrificed for safety purposes. Nothing says "get out of the way" like a trombone whistle while not pissing off the neighbors too much.

Ahh, and the bell was too much noise, I take it? That makes sense. I was afraid it'd been some concession to some dude on the city council who thought all trains should go 'whooo' or something stupid like that.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

Sudo Echo posted:

Holy gently caress.

My dad is a GI doctor and every once in a while he'd come home and tell me that he'd operated on a railyard worker that had been run over by a train. They never survived too long, but I remember on one occasion there was a guy who stayed alive for 12 hours when he only existed from the pelvis up, his bottom half having been conveniently severed from his torso by a free rolling car.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

ctishman posted:

Ahh, and the bell was too much noise, I take it? That makes sense. I was afraid it'd been some concession to some dude on the city council who thought all trains should go 'whooo' or something stupid like that.

Actually the bells on the Melbourne trams are pretty quiet, so by the sound of it the SF ones needed to make more noise.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.

Sudo Echo posted:

:suspense:

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Bet he's unemployed and regretting the video by now

vains
May 26, 2004

A Big Ten institution offering distance education catering to adult learners
Back to back yard derailments affecting UPS trains. Engineer ran through a switch and then a conductor ran a shove through a bumper with UPS loads.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

MassivelyBuckNegro posted:

Back to back yard derailments affecting UPS trains. Engineer ran through a switch and then a conductor ran a shove through a bumper with UPS loads.

more like :downs: loads amirite

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

They really take that "the mail must get through" thing seriously, huh.

Tex Avery
Feb 13, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Actually the bells on the Melbourne trams are pretty quiet, so by the sound of it the SF ones needed to make more noise.

The bells suck. The whistles are the only truly effective thing in traffic.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tex Avery posted:

The bells suck. The whistles are the only truly effective thing in traffic.

I'd believe that. All the W-Class trams do around Melbourne is circle the edge of the CBD, Docklands, and go down Chapel Street. And you gotta be really, really stupid to try challenging a Tram in Melbourne CBD traffic (the average city driver knows better), so I doubt the local ones need them as much as whatever traffic they face in San Francisco.

MeatloafCat
Apr 10, 2007
I can't think of anything to put here.
Just saw this posted. A train was blown off a bridge in Baton Rouge or New Orleans, not sure which. From what I've heard no one was injured, but I'm not sure.
Here's the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc5hzmpxs7A
(Edit: looks like they took it down, sorry)

MeatloafCat fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Apr 28, 2015

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

MeatloafCat posted:

Just saw this posted. A train was blown off a bridge in Baton Rouge or New Orleans, not sure which. From what I've heard no one was injured, but I'm not sure.

That looks more like the bridge failed in some way. Wind alone would probably just flip the containers and not all at the same time.

vains
May 26, 2004

Klaus Kinski posted:

That looks more like the bridge failed in some way. Wind alone would probably just flip the containers and not all at the same time.

No, it wouldn't. Intermodal well cars are ~5' deep so a container isn't coming out without rolling the car. The cars would blow over in large groups.

vains fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Apr 28, 2015

No Pun Intended
Jul 23, 2007

DWARVEN SEX OFFENDER

ASK ME ABOUT TONING MY FINE ASS DWARVEN BOOTY BY RUNNING FROM THE COPS OUTSIDE THAT ELF KINDERGARTEN

BEHOLD THE DONG OF THE DWARVES! THE DWARVEN DONG IS COMING!
You'd be surprised what a strong wind can do to something flat and high sided, like double stacked containers, it's basically a giant sail. I don't think there was any issue with the bridge.

ctishman
Apr 26, 2005

MeatloafCat posted:

(Edit: looks like they took it down, sorry)

Mirror's up:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB-nBhsMiYc

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Thats why the stop coal trains in any winds over 60 mph. Aluminum empty hoppers just turn into giant sails. I know we can burn quite a bit of fuel running empty hoppers back to the mines, and on a windy day its easy to burn 500 gallons in 200 miles.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
History. For the first time in history, Intermodal trailer/container carloading surpassed conventional carloadings. The cause is the steady historical increase in intermodal, and a small dip in conventional loadings.
http://www.progressiverailroading.c...AAR-says--44235

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Thats why the stop coal trains in any winds over 60 mph. Aluminum empty hoppers just turn into giant sails. I know we can burn quite a bit of fuel running empty hoppers back to the mines, and on a windy day its easy to burn 500 gallons in 200 miles.

Yeah, the wind here in Wyoming is second to none. We some times have to pull them downhill off Sherman, a place that without wind a car could free roll from 0-200 mph in just a couple miles.

vains
May 26, 2004

B4Ctom1 posted:

History. For the first time in history, Intermodal trailer/container carloading surpassed conventional carloadings. The cause is the steady historical increase in intermodal, and a small dip in conventional loadings.
http://www.progressiverailroading.c...AAR-says--44235

JB Hunt says they have 2 million more loads they could conceivably move by rail. Problem is, there isn't much existing terminal or lane capacity to move the boxes. Service is poo poo as it is.

Arishtat
Jan 2, 2011

Ar

No Pun Intended posted:

You'd be surprised what a strong wind can do to something flat and high sided, like double stacked containers, it's basically a giant sail. I don't think there was any issue with the bridge.

Around here we have days when empty trailers, busses and RVs are banned from using the Chesapeake Bay Bridge because the wind will blow them right over. Same goes for the U.S. 301 bridge down south -> VA. One of my least pleasant driving experiences was taking an empty 5 Ton truck over that bridge to Fort A.P. Hill for a training event. There was some chop on the Bay and that truck wanted to go anywhere but straight on a bridge that is narrow and has minimal guard rails.

Those well cars were hosed from the moment that the first one blew over. They were probably part of a linked set. The bridge didn't fail but if one of those cars hit the pylons on the way down it might be out of service for a while pending inspection and/or repair.

vains
May 26, 2004

Arishtat posted:

\
Those well cars were hosed from the moment that the first one blew over. They were probably part of a linked set. The bridge didn't fail but if one of those cars hit the pylons on the way down it might be out of service for a while pending inspection and/or repair.

They were part of a linked set aka articulated. But it wouldn't have mattered, I've seen wind blow over a thousand or so feet of loaded double stack cars.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Matilda! :neckbeard:

I've ridden her a few times. :quagmire: Forget the name of the other ones I've ridden, Matila just stands out for some reason.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Dear train thread,
Have an article from 1963 Life.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

JB Hunt says they have 2 million more loads they could conceivably move by rail. Problem is, there isn't much existing terminal or lane capacity to move the boxes. Service is poo poo as it is.

Got any links?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
This is nuts. 10 pages long
http://www.marketwatch.com/story/10-things-railroads-wont-tell-you-2015-05-08

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Nebakenezzer posted:

Dear train thread,
Have an article from 1963 Life.

Thanks for that article. I'll bet that was also the last time peregrination was used in the popular press.

homebrew
Mar 13, 2007

Needs more (safer) beer.
It's been a little wet up north

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug3xXaJtY1o

Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

Historic level flooding? Or was construction cheaping out on culvert sizing? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Slung Blade posted:

Historic level flooding? Or was construction cheaping out on culvert sizing? :v:

300mm in a day, rivers gaining meters of height in minutes..... I'm surprised any rail existed afterwards.