Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I'm new at this. I bought a premium wordpress theme, and at the bottom of my website it says "Copyright © 2015 · eleven40 Pro Theme on Genesis Framework · WordPress · Log in"

I want to get rid of that. How?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.
http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/footer/

I'd just use the simple edits plugin for now unless you are comfortable messing around with functions.php file. Back up if you aren't sure what you are doing!

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

laxbro posted:

http://my.studiopress.com/snippets/footer/

I'd just use the simple edits plugin for now unless you are comfortable messing around with functions.php file. Back up if you aren't sure what you are doing!

Thanks, did exactly what I wanted!

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Track every penny you spend and earn from the website. Don't spend money you haven't earned until after paying off your initial investment. That'll keep you from spending money on pointless stuff.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Yeah, I found a few online but they want $25+ a month or else they watermark your images. I guess I was wondering if anyone had a service they liked/disliked before I dropped cash on it.

I have an old version of Adobe Photoshop/Premiere (Elements 10) that I got for free a few years back - maybe I'll open it up and play around with it a bit.

Use YouTube tutorials or Google "Infographic UI Kit"

grenada
Apr 20, 2013
Relax.

KetTarma posted:

Track every penny you spend and earn from the website. Don't spend money you haven't earned until after paying off your initial investment. That'll keep you from spending money on pointless stuff.

Yea. A solid theme and hosting is the only thing anyone should pay up front for. A good email subscription plugin is worth it early on to help build the email list.

I bought a bunch of domain names and a stupid theme early on which is where most of my spending went. Wasted money on stumbleupon promotion, which has been absolutely worthless. Spent money on facebook promotion for my facebook group, which was probably worth it since I get a decent amount of engagement with content I post there.

I could probably sell it and recoup my "investment" plus a few hundred bucks, but I'm building an engaged email list slowly but surely. I plan to self publish an eBook later this year and will ask my email list subscribers to review it on amazon while I have it set as free. That should give it enough of a boost that I can get organic purchases from within Amazon after I set it to $0.99.

In any case this is a great hobby, and it is nice that there is a chance that I might be able to make a little side money off of it in the future.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

laxbro posted:

Yea. A solid theme and hosting is the only thing anyone should pay up front for. A good email subscription plugin is worth it early on to help build the email list.

I bought a bunch of domain names and a stupid theme early on which is where most of my spending went. Wasted money on stumbleupon promotion, which has been absolutely worthless. Spent money on facebook promotion for my facebook group, which was probably worth it since I get a decent amount of engagement with content I post there.

I could probably sell it and recoup my "investment" plus a few hundred bucks, but I'm building an engaged email list slowly but surely. I plan to self publish an eBook later this year and will ask my email list subscribers to review it on amazon while I have it set as free. That should give it enough of a boost that I can get organic purchases from within Amazon after I set it to $0.99.

In any case this is a great hobby, and it is nice that there is a chance that I might be able to make a little side money off of it in the future.

I've sold ebooks and made quite a bit of money off of it when I did. Set your price to $2.99. if it's $.99 they sell significantly less. $2.99 is worth something but still affordable, plus you keep 70% of the profits. You can make just under $2 per book and when you write more than one, you can go back and add a promotional excerpt from the other books with a link. Then from there you'll start to promote your books with books and nothing else.

Anyway, ebooks are great. But set your price higher. People will 100% pay.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
I've noticed that some larger blog sites, when they come up with new content, shuffle it in various ways. Here's the original longform article with all the pictures, here's the picture gallery with snippets of the article, and here's the single page short-form article. Is this actually good to do, and would it work in smaller blogs?

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Moniker posted:

I've sold ebooks and made quite a bit of money off of it when I did. Set your price to $2.99. if it's $.99 they sell significantly less.
If you haven't published since KU started, the 99c price point is now very, very lucrative for books in Select. I'd recommend checking out the selfpub thread in CC.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
I've been meaning to look into ebooks for awhile now. The articles I've been finding on my own so far are all about publishing as many as you can by using PLR articles; is this the norm nowadays? I'll check out the selfpub thread for sure.

I thought books listed at 2.99 - 7.99 got you 70% profit, where as anything else on amazon it was 30%? Granted the stuff I'm reading is probably out of date.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

moana posted:

If you haven't published since KU started, the 99c price point is now very, very lucrative for books in Select. I'd recommend checking out the selfpub thread in CC.

I guess it all depends on the genre. Not to say that there's a right right or wrong but I'd definitely not offer it for free and list it for $2.99.

I'd offer other books for free 100% of the time and promote the $2.99 books in the back of those. But there are two sides to every story.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Nonfiction and fiction are two different beasts and you have to compete with a bunch more IMer types in NF, yeah.

Royal Jeans posted:

I thought books listed at 2.99 - 7.99 got you 70% profit, where as anything else on amazon it was 30%? Granted the stuff I'm reading is probably out of date.
No, that's still right. But KU borrow royalties are really really good right now.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

moana posted:

Nonfiction and fiction are two different beasts and you have to compete with a bunch more IMer types in NF, yeah.

Very good points!

dhrusis
Jan 19, 2004
searching...

moana posted:

No, that's still right. But KU borrow royalties are really really good right now.

What is an IMer?

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

dhrusis posted:

What is an IMer?

Internet Marketer

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Can anyone recommend a site for setting up an e-mail address with your own domain? It looks like a lot of places offer this, so I'm wondering which places work well and aren't overpriced.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004
Social media tips?

I know that being good at social media isn't just spamming a bunch of your advertisements - but how do you engage people when you don't have much a following?

I've got a local blog that is starting to take off and I'd like to engage people on Facebook and Twitter but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do that. Any tips?

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

Moniker posted:

I know that being good at social media isn't just spamming a bunch of your advertisements - but how do you engage people when you don't have much a following?

I've got a local blog that is starting to take off and I'd like to engage people on Facebook and Twitter but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to do that. Any tips?

I found Twitter much easier than FB when starting out. I just started searching for relevant people to follow and it seems like half the time they followed back. Retweet popular articles in your niche as well - that works pretty well for exposure. You could also look into joining triberr which lets you join like minded "tribes" where the content is curated and you can share each others work.

Since you're location based you might want to look into reaching out to other local businesses for some added exposure. Maybe even do some FB targeted ads. Make sure your FB & twitter profiles are easy to find on your blog; I even added an after post widget that has a link to my mailing list & facebook page which seems to get pretty decent results.

If you're looking for some nice indepth articles I love the Buffer blog for social media tips - https://blog.bufferapp.com/first-1000-followers-twitter-facebook-social-media

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Apr 9, 2015

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Can anyone recommend a site for setting up an e-mail address with your own domain? It looks like a lot of places offer this, so I'm wondering which places work well and aren't overpriced.

Maybe I'm not understanding the question - do you already have a hosting plan; or are you looking to set up a hosting plan that also offers email accounts?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Royal Jeans posted:

Maybe I'm not understanding the question - do you already have a hosting plan; or are you looking to set up a hosting plan that also offers email accounts?

I'm new at this, so hopefully I can explain a bit better. I'm going to be registering mydomain.com, getting hosting through someone in SA mart, and then using a wordpress theme to build a site and blog. I'd like to have an email address of me@mydomain.com instead of mydomain@gmail.com. What's the best way to do this?

Mr Newsman
Nov 8, 2006
Did somebody say news?

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

I'm new at this, so hopefully I can explain a bit better. I'm going to be registering mydomain.com, getting hosting through someone in SA mart, and then using a wordpress theme to build a site and blog. I'd like to have an email address of me@mydomain.com instead of mydomain@gmail.com. What's the best way to do this?

Lithium hosting in the SA mart does this for you already. I'm sure the other service does it as well.

You'll get instructions on how to log in and set it up once you get hosting.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I have an idea for a blog and want to run my ideas past you guys to see if I'm on the right track...

Basically I'm going to do reviews of specific items you can buy in a supermarket in the UK. They're becoming more and more popular here, but nobody seems to be doing reviews of them specifically, although there are reviews of them in niche sites for money saving, unusual food products etc. I'm thinking of doing 250-300 word blog posts every 3 days (I enjoy writing and these products so that seems quite easy for me) which will review one or maybe two products. I like to think I can write in a casual and funny style but we'll let the internet decide that :shobon:

Now, getting traffic. Can I start a facebook group for the blog, like it myself and share it to my 400+ friends? A lot of my friends would be into this sort of thing and I work in quite a young workplace so I reckon I could beg/bribe/bully some of them to share to their friends as well. Infact a quick look at my friends list and I have about 20 people with 3-800 friends who would share it if I asked. It's just a share, right?! Obviously there's some overlap there but 20 x 500 = 10,000 which isn't bad. Is this a useful route to take or is this basically worthless?

I also mentioned there are a few sites doing reviews of this stuff but reviewing other things as well, so offering them my posts in exchange for a link seems like a good idea. When you do this sort of thing can you just use the posts on your own blog or do you have to make completely new ones?

Monetizing it: many of these products are available on Amazon, so doing a review followed by "grab this at this link!" should be bringing in the bucks right? I don't know about AdSense but am looking into this.

Sorry for all the questions but... well, I want to know if it really is this easy :shobon:

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

duckmaster posted:

Sorry for all the questions but... well, I want to know if it really is this easy :shobon:

It sounds like it definitely has potential; and if you search the items you're going to be reviewing in Google at the moment it should give you a pretty good idea of what your competition is going to be like.

As far as facebook goes you start the page for your blog and then yes - you can invite all of your friends.

When you say exchanging for a link I don't know exactly what you mean. Would you be posting their reviews & linking back to them; or asking them to link to your reviews within theirs?

Adsense doesn't really pay much unless you have huge traffic - but nothing else is going to be paying for awhile when you're starting out anyways.. So at least it's a few bucks here and there.

As far as making money from amazon you'd have to sell an awful lot to get any sort of profit. And if you're selling food items you're going to be making pennies on each sale. If you go for the tiered system you start at 4%, after 8 or 10 referrals per month it jumps to 6%, then 6.5%. I just started out so it's pretty slow going. In November I sold 25 items (not a lot - I know) through amazon for a total of $300ish - but when you're only making 6% I think my actual profit was only $25 that month. In January people bought $1000 from amazon and I made $60.

Granted I'm not really a niche blog with targeted posts for reviews.You might luck out occasionally when someone puts a big ticket item through within 24 hours of hitting your link. Someone ended up buying a game table from mine for $700 so that was about $50 at once.

I just don't want you to get excited and think amazon alone is an easy way to earn money. If your selling other peoples inexpensive objects you're probably not going to make much. But if you can convert people into amazon prime members as well.. that might be something to look into. Or check out other affiliate programs as well that might offer higher percentages.

What do you want your actual blog to be about? Specific food items only? Or local healthy cooking options? If you expand your niche a little bit and include some healthy cooking tips for the products you're advertising you can open up the field a bit for earning potential.

I wouldn't consider it easy by any means. If i start another site I'm either going to sell digital products or more expensive ones.

I'd take a look at this guides for some detailed info on starting a niche blog: http://profitblitz.com/case-studies/ & http://www.blogtyrant.com/how-to-start-a-blog/

Royal Jeans fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 10, 2015

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
I don't know if this is the right place to ask but you guys blog and are looking for money so we seem to have a common interest. I am a small fish in the growing pond known as daily fantasy sports. My site is http://dailydraftstar.com

I need a baseball / daily fantasy player to write a daily write up for baseball / fantasy in general and am willing to pay a flat fee for your services since ad revenue will be non existent until our other marketing outlets generate more player base. I can pay weekly or monthly through PayPal, doesn't matter to me.

If your a fantasy sports blogger just send me a pm and we can talk about it.

Moniker
Mar 16, 2004

Sepist posted:

I don't know if this is the right place to ask but you guys blog and are looking for money so we seem to have a common interest. I am a small fish in the growing pond known as daily fantasy sports. My site is http://dailydraftstar.com

I need a baseball / daily fantasy player to write a daily write up for baseball / fantasy in general and am willing to pay a flat fee for your services since ad revenue will be non existent until our other marketing outlets generate more player base. I can pay weekly or monthly through PayPal, doesn't matter to me.

If your a fantasy sports blogger just send me a pm and we can talk about it.

If you increase the padding on all of the containers of your elements with text it'll be a lot easier to read, imo. Unsolicited but I think it would be helpful with converting.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Thanks! I actually have a marketing consulting group on board who will be providing all of our new marketing content next week

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
e: nevermind

BlackMK4 fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Apr 12, 2015

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Ok I think I'm getting the hang of this: I've got a keyword which has 5400 global searches/month and a CPM of $4.45.

Of the sites on the front page one is unranked, three are ranked 2, four are ranked 3 and one is ranked 4.

The only problem is that I can't get the exact domain. It's up for auction at $1013 so clearly someone else has had the same idea. I can add another word in but then that keyword has 1300 searches and $4.28. Which is still good, but I want those 5400 searches!

Does this sound like I've found a decent prospect?

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

duckmaster posted:

Ok I think I'm getting the hang of this: I've got a keyword which has 5400 global searches/month and a CPM of $4.45.

Of the sites on the front page one is unranked, three are ranked 2, four are ranked 3 and one is ranked 4.

The only problem is that I can't get the exact domain. It's up for auction at $1013 so clearly someone else has had the same idea. I can add another word in but then that keyword has 1300 searches and $4.28. Which is still good, but I want those 5400 searches!

Everything I've read suggests an exact domain match matters a whole lot less than it used to. As long as your domain contains the keyword you're aiming for and is fairly short (ie use BestKeyword.com or KeywordHQ.com, not TheVeryBestKeywordMadeInTheUSA.com) you should be fine.

As for prospects it all depends on how easily you can dominate that keyword. If you get a #1 ranking and 40% of that traffic you'll make some cash, if you're stuck on the 2nd page getting half a percent of that traffic you'll be donating your time.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

duckmaster posted:

I guess what I'd probably be looking at is how much quality content you'd be competing with. The domain match is always nice but it's still easy to outrank crappy content & much harder to compete with decent stuff.

I've been choosing some of my articles based on the quality of the content on the first page of Google and have had decent success with that strategy. If you're able to find some keywords that have a bunch of videos or low quality content on Google's first page of search that's a really good place to start.

And for anyone looking for what seems to be an easy to rank for market:

I'm in the dog niche and I stumbled upon "pregnant dog" in my keyword research. I have no interest in posting that sort of stuff but it looks like there's really no decent competition to speak of and a lot of searches, but then again CPC isn't particularily high either. :)

I come across a lot of these funny keywords that I have no idea what I'd do with.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Royal Jeans posted:

I guess what I'd probably be looking at is how much quality content you'd be competing with. The domain match is always nice but it's still easy to outrank crappy content & much harder to compete with decent stuff.

I've been choosing some of my articles based on the quality of the content on the first page of Google and have had decent success with that strategy. If you're able to find some keywords that have a bunch of videos or low quality content on Google's first page of search that's a really good place to start.

And for anyone looking for what seems to be an easy to rank for market:

I'm in the dog niche and I stumbled upon "pregnant dog" in my keyword research. I have no interest in posting that sort of stuff but it looks like there's really no decent competition to speak of and a lot of searches, but then again CPC isn't particularily high either. :)

I come across a lot of these funny keywords that I have no idea what I'd do with.

Oooh, if you wouldn't mind, could you send me a list of some of your funny keywords so I can check them out myself?

edit: oh, you don't have plat. What's your email?

Emmideer fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Apr 14, 2015

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012

jon joe posted:

Oooh, if you wouldn't mind, could you send me a list of some of your funny keywords so I can check them out myself?

edit: oh, you don't have plat. What's your email?

I don't have a saved list

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Right, so I've settled on my keyword, bought a domain, and identified about 25 longtail keywords to target (I assume this is too many!). I'm sorting hosting as we speak and have written down my Idiots Guide to all the things I need to install etc. And I've just written my first (terrible) article, which I'll edit about fifteen times.

How many articles should I have on my blog before I "go live"? Do I just put one up and go for it, or should I wait till I've written a dozen or so? Is there a magic number for this?

I don't want to wait :3:

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

duckmaster posted:

Right, so I've settled on my keyword, bought a domain, and identified about 25 longtail keywords to target (I assume this is too many!). I'm sorting hosting as we speak and have written down my Idiots Guide to all the things I need to install etc. And I've just written my first (terrible) article, which I'll edit about fifteen times.

How many articles should I have on my blog before I "go live"? Do I just put one up and go for it, or should I wait till I've written a dozen or so? Is there a magic number for this?

I don't want to wait :3:

Publish as many as you want as often as you want as early as you want. Unless you already have a large social media following, you won't really see traffic the first month since you won't have any links, Shares, etc.

IrvingWashington
Dec 9, 2007

Shabbat Shalom
Clapping Larry
Does anyone know if there's a way around the amazon affiliate regional restrictions? I have a couple of different ideas I was going to launch just before my affiliate account was closed due to the new-ish laws that prevented people in certain states from being able to work directly with amazon. I figure I can set up with links for a friend's account in another state, but if something like skimlinks would do the trick that'd be preferable.

E: the answer is no.

IrvingWashington fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 19, 2015

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Anyone have any experience contacting companies for review products? I need to get a handful of electronics for review, if not then it's time to abuse some store return policies.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

FCKGW posted:

Anyone have any experience contacting companies for review products? I need to get a handful of electronics for review, if not then it's time to abuse some store return policies.

I indirectly worked with this while contracting with a popular tech start-up. Most companies probably are somewhat like this but with some variation. With the explosion of YouTube review videos, companies like ones in your niche get a lot of these requests a day. Like a lot a lot.

If you have a decent YouTube following or are a very popular blog it's pretty easy. Just email Marketing with links showing who you are and they'll set something up. Anything of decent value they will more than likely want the items back. If you're a smaller blog or YT channel link them some posts or videos showing your personality or likability, they'll sometimes throw you a bone on some of their cheaper products. If it's a highly sought after item not out yet don't try.

Still doesn't hurt to try.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Its pretty cheap commodity computer hardware. The problem is the blog is focused on a very specific line of products from single company and I'm going to need some of them to review to get the blog padded out with good content. Because of that I don't have anything really to show the company that I'm not just someone wanting free poo poo.

I'll just pick something up at best buy, it's less than $200 and I can probably use it as a giveaway to drum up some FB likes and follows anyways.

Royal Jeans
May 12, 2012
Question about advertising networks - I'm currently using Google Adsense because it was easy to set up and was the easiest way to monetize my blog in the beginning (pennies a day for a long while).

Now I'm wondering if it's something I should consider switching up because it's only making $20 a month with 20k visits a month. Is this a good number for that traffic or terrible?

I've read so many bloggers income reports - especially in the lifestyle type categories like mommy blogs, etc - that seem to be making a lot from advertising networks I know nothing about. I've read decent things about Padsquad, The Blogger Network, Media Net, Chitika (if I'm even spelling that right), Info Links, Propeller Ads, etc...

Is there a good place to start when trying to research and/or compare these networks rather than just signing up and hoping for the best? Are a lot of these networks niche based and/or perform really well in certain categories? I'm in the pet niche and the one pet only network I know of is pretty dismal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierce and Pierce
Jul 1, 2007
Murders and Executions

Royal Jeans posted:

Question about advertising networks - I'm currently using Google Adsense because it was easy to set up and was the easiest way to monetize my blog in the beginning (pennies a day for a long while).

Now I'm wondering if it's something I should consider switching up because it's only making $20 a month with 20k visits a month. Is this a good number for that traffic or terrible?

I've read so many bloggers income reports - especially in the lifestyle type categories like mommy blogs, etc - that seem to be making a lot from advertising networks I know nothing about. I've read decent things about Padsquad, The Blogger Network, Media Net, Chitika (if I'm even spelling that right), Info Links, Propeller Ads, etc...

Is there a good place to start when trying to research and/or compare these networks rather than just signing up and hoping for the best? Are a lot of these networks niche based and/or perform really well in certain categories? I'm in the pet niche and the one pet only network I know of is pretty dismal.

I can't really comment on other networks, but yes $20 for 20k visitors is very low.

Where do you have your ads placed? In-content ads perform MUCH better than just placing them in your header and sidebar, for example.

The niche of your website and where your visitors come from are also important. I don't know anything about the pet niche but knowing how much people spend on them I doubt that's your problem. Assuming you also have primarily U.S, Canada, Australia, UK, visitors which is likely if you're an English site, then that shouldn't be a factor either.

Your ad types are also important, if you're only allowing image ads or only allowing text ads it can effect your income as you're not always serving the most expensive ad to your visitors.

Give us an idea of your layout and where you're placing your ads. I'm guessing that's your issue.

Long term though, you should probably look at selling actual products. You can link to products in your niche on Amazon or other stores without getting spammy.

• Locked thread