Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had a Powershell book in my Amazon wish list for ages. Time to buy!

EDIT: Hmm it's for V.3. How different is 4 from 3 if you're a beginner looking to learn?

Very similar. Get powershell in a month of lunches.

We will be doing a group read of it in the IT books thread at some point if you're interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
There are a lot of VM/2012 R2 centric commands in version 4. Namely DSC which is awesome to use.

If you're in a Virtual environment there are a lot of commands related to targeting the VM's directly. I would say go with v4. It adds a lot of extra commands that I can see will be relevant moving forward in any windows environment.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Dick Trauma posted:

I've had a Powershell book in my Amazon wish list for ages. Time to buy!

EDIT: Hmm it's for V.3. How different is 4 from 3 if you're a beginner looking to learn?
Do you have a 2012 server? If so, get the version 4 book.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Migishu posted:

A ticket came in:

Summary: LIZARD LOOSE IN THIS LOCATION 
Client states there is a lizard in this room , have tried to catch but too fast. 

Oh man, I needed this laugh today after the week I've had. I'm picturing either (a) a real lizard skittering around avoiding some goofy bumpkin or (b) someone mistakenly taking a hit of LSD and chasing nothing for 3 hours

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Very similar. Get powershell in a month of lunches.

We will be doing a group read of it in the IT books thread at some point if you're interested.

I had the Month of Lunches book in my list but it's for version 3. I'm not seeing anything quite like it for 4. I have a 2012 server so I'd prefer to learn the current Powershell.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

Yahoo chat: Apparently Community has a bigger budget since moving to Yahoo Screen than they got at NBC. Yahoo's got surprisingly deep pockets.

anthonypants posted:

Do you have a 2012 server? If so, get the version 4 book.
It's worth mentioning Win7 comes with Powershell 2, and you'll need to upgrade any machine you want to run scripts that use fancy 3/4 calls on. I don't get why MS doesn't just push it out as an automatic update, I don't think there's any commands that work in 2 that change in 3/4. Then again I'm a pretty light user so I could be wrong.

Or, if you're at my place, be stuck on 2 because the software approval commitee can't wrap their heads around what Powershell is so they won't approve the upgrade.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Powershell in a Month of Lunches is written with Server 2012/Windows 8 in mind, for what that's worth.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
There aren't really substantial changes to the way powershell really works between versions, you just get more commands.

If you're just trying to learn the basics, I'd recommend month of lunches. Once you've got the basics down, get a current book and see all the new commandlets.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
e: whoops.

Powershell is nice but their syntax is extremely unintuitive and whoever barely (poorly) documented the language should be murdered. It's seriously loving dumb.

notwithoutmyanus fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 16, 2015

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
An email came in:

"Please not to abbreviated Google Analytics as GooAnal please use full name thank you."

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

notwithoutmyanus posted:

Powershell is nice but their syntax is extremely unintuitive and whoever barely (poorly) documented the language should be murdered. It's seriously loving dumb.

How do?

Urit
Oct 22, 2010

It's a weird combination of Bash and Perl but also object oriented a la .NET.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe
I think if it's the first language you learn it's very intuitive.

Unfortunately most of us have some basic experience with another language. Things like the | command though are fantastic and a great tool in powershell.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

notwithoutmyanus posted:

As somebody who only took programming in high school, and VB at that, I find the syntax of PowerShell stuff to be very intuitive.

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from
As someone who majored in computer science and has written code in C# and scripts in Bash I find Powershell to be very intuitive and easy to use ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

There aren't really substantial changes to the way powershell really works between versions, you just get more commands.

If you're just trying to learn the basics, I'd recommend month of lunches. Once you've got the basics down, get a current book and see all the new commandlets.

Okay, I'm sold. Thank you all for your feedback.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I've haven't found powershell that difficult other than the odd ' symbol. I don't know why they had to pick that character.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
As someone who cut his teeth on C and 80x86 ASM , I find powershell extremely loving verbose.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

sfwarlock posted:

As someone who cut his teeth on C and 80x86 ASM , I find powershell extremely loving verbose.

As someone who codes in Brainfuck, ...........<<<<<<<<<...++++++[........-]

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Holy poo poo, the interview we had today. What a train wreck.

Out of 10, he rated himself a 9 on RHEL 5/6, but had never used LVM on Linux. I equated it to saying you're an excellent and experienced driver, but never turned left. Then he proceeded to talk about his Solaris LVM experience by talking about zones. When asked about partitioning (in order to possibly help jog the thought of what we were talking about) he started talking about carving up VMs in VMWare. We finally got him talking about disks and he only talked about MBR partitioning and fdisk.

We use LVM pretty extensively, so it's kind of important, not to mention a basic skill for any organization of an appreciable size.

By the end of the call we were all sitting around with a WTF look on our faces.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MJP posted:

A really bad idea came in...

We're moving to a bigger space a few floors down in our current building. My boss asked for my opinion on what to do with our "work space," I asked if he meant our office. Right now me (sysadmin) and my to-be-hired-soon helpdesk guy would share an office, my boss gets his own office. The rest of the company is very loud.

The new floor plan as it is now has boss/helpdesk/me on the floor with the rest of the world. We'd have the "work space" as a hybrid storage room and workbench. Problem is we have no real need for a workbench - we're all VDI and private cloud. There are only two physical servers in use in this office and that number won't be going up with the move.

I tried to present a case that we routinely discuss confidential information and deal with passwords frequently enough that the storage part should be nixed in favor of consolidating our storeroom with the server room (which makes far better sense given that our storeroom is half empty, as is the server room) and the boss wasn't very convinced as to the need for it. Moreover, we have walkups galore when people should be calling in or emailing in tickets, and this is going to further disincentivize those methods.

Moreover, if we have a need for quiet to do our work, doesn't that mean we'll have a constant need for it?

I told him that this was a poorly-conceived idea and it merited these points being brought up to the Powers that Be in our small company, and I could easily quantify the amount of times I'm discussing stuff that the rest of the company shouldn't be hearing to the point that getting up and going into the work room would be a real schlep when we could just as easily be in that room, similar to our current setup.

I know this seems like a goony goon being goony but it's a pretty big step down and a noisy one too, let alone the security risk. The boss said he's looking into noise cancellation but that won't cancel out me talking on the phone with a vendor, and probably not the voices outside.

He said he was going to think about it but I could use some ideas on how to convince him this is a bad idea. Worst-case scenario, it's basically politics in that the C-levels want us on the floor and I might as well wear headphones, but it's a big step down and a big security hole.

If you're going to go the "security risk" route, you'll need to define what it is that's putting your company's systems at risk with you being out mixed with regular folks. If it's related to customer systems and data, then you probably have a case. But if you're talking about internal systems you probably don't have much of a leg to stand on; process and policy change/enforcement is going to be more effective.

I'm in a limited access environment and the justification for that is primarily that I have direct access to some of our customer's environments and some of my systems live on a limited access, air-gapped network.

However, I do think you can argue your case on a pure process and efficiency argument if you are part of the support team. Walk-ups disrupt and bypass the established processes and will reduce the efficacy of service delivery and mess with your ability to deliver quantifiable numbers on how effective and efficient your team is in providing support for your company. That may be your best tack.

e: words are hard. edited to make them easier.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Apr 17, 2015

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

sfwarlock posted:

When I write scripts, I explicitly invoke every parameter used and don't use aliases.

I'm not trying to win a competition for fewest characters used, I'm trying to write things that other people can use.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

1) Stand back from boss

2) You: Pretend to answer the phone. In a normal voice, "Can you hear me?"

3) Boss: "What?"

4) You: "Can you hear me?"

5) Boss: "Yes."

6) You: "Then you and everyone else who happens to be walking by can now break into our poo poo."

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

AlexDeGruven posted:

Holy poo poo, the interview we had today. What a train wreck.

Out of 10, he rated himself a 9

I don't know anything about Linux, but if you're rating yourself a 9/10 on anything, you better be heading up workshops and giving talks at conferences, and people better be referring to you as, "One of the foremost authorities on <thing> today."

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

AlexDeGruven posted:

We use LVM pretty extensively, so it's kind of important, not to mention a basic skill for any organization of an appreciable size.

I can't imagine why you wouldn't use LVM in any Linux build these days, unless you have some unusual storage configuration where it doesn't make sense. Hell, even if you don't use some of the advanced functions, just the ability to easily consolidate, expand, and reallocate space on your filesystems is invaluable. This guy either hasn't actually touched Linux in years (are you sure he specified Red Hat "Enterprise"? :v: ), or he's been working at a shop supporting a bunch of legacy stuff (or working under some legacy sysadmins).

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?

dennyk posted:

I can't imagine why you wouldn't use LVM in any Linux build these days, unless you have some unusual storage configuration where it doesn't make sense. Hell, even if you don't use some of the advanced functions, just the ability to easily consolidate, expand, and reallocate space on your filesystems is invaluable. This guy either hasn't actually touched Linux in years (are you sure he specified Red Hat "Enterprise"? :v: ), or he's been working at a shop supporting a bunch of legacy stuff (or working under some legacy sysadmins).

None of the engineers where I work understood a loving thing about LVM. Most still barely understand it and have to ask me about it all the time.

EDIT: Quoted wrong post. I'm sleepy.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Potato Salad posted:

1) Stand back from boss

2) You: Pretend to answer the phone. In a normal voice, "Can you hear me?"

3) Boss: "What?"

4) You: "Can you hear me?"

5) Boss: "Yes."

6) You: "Then you and everyone else who happens to be walking by can now break into our poo poo."

idgi do you say your password out loud when you type it in or something?

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

spankmeister posted:

idgi do you say your password out loud when you type it in or something?

yeah, you can just use codewords when you set up exchanges

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

There's a hard drive fairy running around here.

Yesterday we had two cases of people booting up and getting HARD DRIVE 0 NOT FOUND

Luckily, re-seating the SATA and power cables caused the drives to become recognized and everything was fine.

This morning we come in, we have a dead Synology NAS and our Dell SAN is lit up like a Christmas tree.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

larchesdanrew posted:

Angry weather girl comes stomping in.

:mad: [News Director] said you put this camera back in rotation even though he told you not to. It's broken and it ruined my shoot.
:confused: What camera is that?
:mad: It's P1. He said that it was broken and he told you not to put it in rotation.
:confused: I didn't put P1 up there. P1 is sitting over there in pieces. That's P7.
:mad: Well, he said he told you not to put this one in rotation and you did it anyway.
:confused: What's it doing wrong?
:mad: It won't focus and half of my shots are ruined.
:confused: He told me to not put P1 in rotation. I'm fixing it now. That's P7, this is an unrelated issue to P1.
:mad: Whatever, let me see if I can salvage any of this.

Wait sorry you work in a news place and the people there don't know how to use a camera?

I mean, I probably couldn't use a news camera either, but I don't work in a newsroom?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Bob Morales posted:

There's a hard drive fairy running around here.

Yesterday we had two cases of people booting up and getting HARD DRIVE 0 NOT FOUND

Luckily, re-seating the SATA and power cables caused the drives to become recognized and everything was fine.

This morning we come in, we have a dead Synology NAS and our Dell SAN is lit up like a Christmas tree.

Better swap out all the cables, just in case your coworker is playing a prank!

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.

OwlFancier posted:

Wait sorry you work in a news place and the people there don't know how to use a camera?

I mean, I probably couldn't use a news camera either, but I don't work in a newsroom?

hosed up, but true. They hire pretty faces, not competency.

My supervisor has been at a conference this whole week. He comes back today. He's half an hour late.

I was pulled aside yesterday by the General Manager, News Director, Sales Manager, and Lead Producer on separate unrelated occasions and personally thanked for all I've done this week. They made it a point to mention that coming to me actually got stuff done, as opposed to them going to my supervisor and getting shrugged off and insulted.

Feels good, man.

I'm sitting here waiting for the fireworks when he comes in. He's a notorious hoarder and refuses to throw away any trash, broken equipment, you name it. I work in the engineering shop and it was piled literally to the ceiling with junk. I actually have to sit on the floor to solder because there is zero bench room due to all the stuff I'm not allowed to touch. Yesterday, I spent 10 straight hours spring cleaning the poo poo out of this place. If it had dust on it, I threw it away. It looks fabulous in here, and he's going to flip his goddamn poo poo.

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

notwithoutmyanus posted:

You mean from a scripting perspective? For someone figuring out commands, the built in (updated) help and cmdlet naming convention have been incredibly helpful so far. Much better than man pages at least.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

larchesdanrew posted:

US media in a nutshell

quote:

I'm sitting here waiting for the fireworks when he comes in. He's a notorious hoarder and refuses to throw away any trash, broken equipment, you name it. I work in the engineering shop and it was piled literally to the ceiling with junk. I actually have to sit on the floor to solder because there is zero bench room due to all the stuff I'm not allowed to touch. Yesterday, I spent 10 straight hours spring cleaning the poo poo out of this place. If it had dust on it, I threw it away. It looks fabulous in here, and he's going to flip his goddamn poo poo.

Tell him that you saw cockroaches and had no choice

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Take the bin of crap to a scrapyard, ask them to crush it into a cube for you, bring it back into work and give it to him, tell him you upgraded the compression on his hardware archive.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

I tried to install some software on a user's computer and got an error message telling me to check the OS version. Looked in system properties and right enough it was Win7 32 bit. With 8GB ram installed.
There's a whole bunch of machines just like it.

m.hache
Dec 1, 2004

Fun Shoe

bitterandtwisted posted:

I tried to install some software on a user's computer and got an error message telling me to check the OS version. Looked in system properties and right enough it was Win7 32 bit. With 8GB ram installed.
There's a whole bunch of machines just like it.

Sounds like you just got a bunch of free ram.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.

larchesdanrew posted:

My supervisor has been at a conference this whole week. He comes back today. He's half an hour late.

I was pulled aside yesterday by the General Manager, News Director, Sales Manager, and Lead Producer on separate unrelated occasions and personally thanked for all I've done this week. They made it a point to mention that coming to me actually got stuff done, as opposed to them going to my supervisor and getting shrugged off and insulted.

Feels good, man.

Please post later today to assure us that you're still alive

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...

Vicas posted:

Please post later today to assure us that you're still alive

Or employed for that matter.

The GM at my station would likely fire whoever threw away his mass amounts of junk (2 closets in his office and a complete office as well as a couple cabinets full of broken poo poo around the building but we can't throw it away because what if we need it )

Saving things like S-Video cables that have breaks somewhere inside the wire and would take forever to figure out where the break is literally pulled from the garbage/dumpster and put back into the building :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Haquer posted:

Or employed for that matter.

The GM at my station would likely fire whoever threw away his mass amounts of junk (2 closets in his office and a complete office as well as a couple cabinets full of broken poo poo around the building but we can't throw it away because what if we need it )

It's a pretty ballsy power play. If the supervisor flips out, he's now got some potential backers who will go to bat for him in self-interest.

• Locked thread