Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

The MSJ posted:

Demonstone is actually made by the same studio that made the The Two Towers brawler.

It was also written by RA Salvatore if that's your thing/a problem.

They were talking about Salvatore over in the Steam thread briefly as well. Is he really that bad of a writer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
Are there any games that do HOMM3 well or should I continue to play HOMM3.

Seen that its on GoG for 10 and i finally lost my CDs

Hidden Asbestos
Nov 24, 2003
[placeholder]

Fetus Tree posted:

I like King's Bounty. It's a bit different from HoMM in that it's focussed much more heavily on the battles and you only control 1 army (in a charming Russian RPG overworld map).

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Max Wilco posted:

They were talking about Salvatore over in the Steam thread briefly as well. Is he really that bad of a writer?

He absolutely fails to understand the concept of dramatic tension, so instead of wondering "What sacrifices will the character have to make to achieve his goal?" or "How will the character's flaws interact with his plan to overcome this obstacle?" it's always "How will Drizzt prove that he's perfect and good and so much better than everyone else this time?".

EDIT: Sometimes he's amazingly lucky too, I guess, but he never needs the luck because he did something wrong, just because someone/thing else was doing something bad to him.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

He absolutely fails to understand the concept of dramatic tension, so instead of wondering "What sacrifices will the character have to make to achieve his goal?" or "How will the character's flaws interact with his plan to overcome this obstacle?" it's always "How will Drizzt prove that he's perfect and good and so much better than everyone else this time?".

EDIT: Sometimes he's amazingly lucky too, I guess, but he never needs the luck because he did something wrong, just because someone/thing else was doing something bad to him.

I have read many of his books, and I cannot disagree. Somewhat ironically, I feel that his best novel was Servant of the Shard, which actually properly addressed all of the things you just mentioned while focusing entirely around the villains. Drizzt does not appear in any way and is only mentioned in passing once or twice.

For some reason, Salvatore is always better when the bad guys are in the spotlight.

I wanted to say something else in praise of Elaine Cunningham, but I don't want to derail.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fetus Tree posted:

Just continue to play HOMM3 its the best.
Kings Bounty as mentioned has some similarities but honestly aside from the actual battles its pretty different from HOMM3.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Fetus Tree posted:

I still play HOMM5 sometimes. IMHO, after all the extensions and patches and fan-made patches, 5 is the best HOMM. Ive never played 6, though, but from all Ive read and heard, its not a very good game.

Kings Bounty is great, but as the above player said, is not really the same. HOMM is a strategy game, while KB is a RPG game. The only thing they have in common is the tactical battle style.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Apr 14, 2015

L. Ron Mexico
May 14, 2005

disciples 2 is also A Good Game, if you want something slightly different (but not too much!) from HoMM. Also a russian existentialism level bleak story, which is pretty hilarious

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Also Age of Wonders III just got its second expansion today and while I haven't played for a while myself, from what I can tell they've added a ton of features and improvements since the initial release.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

JustJeff88 posted:

I have read many of his books, and I cannot disagree. Somewhat ironically, I feel that his best novel was Servant of the Shard, which actually properly addressed all of the things you just mentioned while focusing entirely around the villains. Drizzt does not appear in any way and is only mentioned in passing once or twice.

For some reason, Salvatore is always better when the bad guys are in the spotlight.

I wanted to say something else in praise of Elaine Cunningham, but I don't want to derail.

I think his best story is the Cleric Quintet because it's a lot more experimental than the Drizzt series at the time. The heroes are really terrible people at the start and every encounter seems impossible for them to overcome but they generally succeed through smart planning instead of blind luck. Cadderly is also an inventory, something I wish more main characters in fantasy stories were, so he modifies all his equipment like he has a metal loving yoyo that smashes faces like Ness in Earthbound. It's still generic pulp fantasy fare and the protagonist is basically Luke Skywalker complete with an "I am your father" moment but it's one of the better uses of the D&D license at the time.

You're also 100% correct about his villains. The quintet has this tragic hero who ends up being a villain through the protagonist's assholery and he gets kicked in the balls constantly. I sympathized with that guy hard. There's also an anime as gently caress villain who body swaps with people and gets pissed off when you call him THE Ghost or something like that. It's straight Batman rogue's gallery stuff.

Cadderly appears in one of the Baldur's Gate games I believe.

al-azad fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Apr 14, 2015

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Which Baldur's Gate game?

Cadderly also has a pimp cane (functionally a mace) and a pimp hat. Salvatore loves pimp hats. The drow merc Jarlaxle also wore one. As far as I know, only Neverwinter Nights 2 has them among the D&D games. Maybe Pillars of Eternity too, since people were asking rope kid for them.

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Jesus, does PoE ever have pimp hats.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

The MSJ posted:

Which Baldur's Gate game?

Cadderly also has a pimp cane (functionally a mace) and a pimp hat. Salvatore loves pimp hats. The drow merc Jarlaxle also wore one. As far as I know, only Neverwinter Nights 2 has them among the D&D games. Maybe Pillars of Eternity too, since people were asking rope kid for them.

He appears when you return to Candlekeep to provide foreshadowing much like Elminster.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Last day of the Tower Sale.The Gothic game are back on GOG.

Divinity: Original Sin is also up for the finale. Is it worth picking up for $24? The reaction to it doesn't seem as positive as it was when the game first came out.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

scamtank posted:

Jesus, does PoE ever have pimp hats.

They learned from Valve.

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Last day of the Tower Sale.The Gothic game are back on GOG.

Divinity: Original Sin is also up for the finale. Is it worth picking up for $24? The reaction to it doesn't seem as positive as it was when the game first came out.

I played through the entire game MP and while I was enjoying the first half, it really goes off the rails at some point. Also they only added the "listen to conversation" function later into our playthrough so neither of us ever knew what was really happening. It was too long to type out everything so it was just "Uh, well, this wizard just said we should go kill that rat."

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

There's a potentially curious note at the end of today's news update.

"Oh yeah, Austin High is 75% off today (until 4/21, 9:59 AM GMT), but we can't say why."

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ovaries posted:

"Oh yeah, Austin High is 75% off today (until 4/21, 9:59 AM GMT), but we can't say why."

If you can't figure out why having Austin HIGH on sale on 4/20 is something they can't spell out then there might not be hope for you.

RadicalR
Jan 20, 2008

"Businessmen are the symbol of a free society
---
the symbol of America."

ovaries posted:

:420:

Enough said.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is this "Halfway" any good?

http://www.gog.com/game/halfway

Seems like my type of game, but reviews in GOG are mixed, usually a bad sign.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

macnbc posted:

If you can't figure out why having Austin HIGH on sale on 4/20 is something they can't spell out then there might not be hope for you.

Sorry, I don't follow. Is this a regional reference?

vvv ???

ovaries fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 20, 2015

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Four twenty/420 is almost universal slang for smoking pot. April 20th is 4/20 when written using US date standards. I hope you can connect the dots from there.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013

ovaries posted:

vvv ???

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/420_%28cannabis_culture%29

Austin High is a comedy film about the consumption of marijuana products.

ovaries
Nov 20, 2004

Oh OK.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

ovaries posted:

vvv ???

You see, cannabis is a genus of flowering plants that contains the psychoactive constituent tetrahydrocannabinol or THC. When smoked or ingested, THC produces a mild euphoria colloquially referred to as a "high." April 20th, written 4/20 (four-twenty) in the US dating system, is a day dedicated to cannabis observance within the community.

GOG is making a joke by discounting Austin High -- a stoner comedy about cannabis smoking college students -- on 4/20.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
So huh

http://www.gog.com/news/release_agarest_generations_of_war_zero

This was announced

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

420 memes and a new Agarest game. GOG.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013
Just tell me, I like the idea of having generations of fighters succeeding each other in RPGs, sorta like a bloodline thing, but the fact it's only women who are your partners kinda puts me off. Also, just looking at the image it gives me the feeling it's just underage girls, so I'm really loving hesitant about even getting this. Can anyone clear up that to me?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

LotsBread posted:

Just tell me, I like the idea of having generations of fighters succeeding each other in RPGs, sorta like a bloodline thing, but the fact it's only women who are your partners kinda puts me off. Also, just looking at the image it gives me the feeling it's just underage girls, so I'm really loving hesitant about even getting this. Can anyone clear up that to me?

No, that's pretty much exactly what Agarest is: a bad SRPG series with creepy underaged anime girls.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Every Idea Factory / Compile Heart game is bad.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

http://www.gog.com/game/ys_vi_the_ark_of_napishtim

Fortunately so was this.

LotsBread
Jan 4, 2013

the one anime I tolerate

Ozdhaka
Oct 20, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

No, that's pretty much exactly what Agarest is: a bad SRPG series with creepy underaged anime girls.

Not to mention grindy as gently caress. The battles get very samey after a while, and even with auto-battle, the game can knock people asleep.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lemon Curdistan posted:

:nws: Case in point.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Why would a 360 owner need a breast-based mouse pad? They just haven't done their research.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

To go with their pillow case, of course.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Every Idea Factory / Compile Heart game is bad.

Yuuuup.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005
HOMM 3 related chat, does anyone have anything to say about the HD remake that came out recently. I want to play some HOMM 3 again and was wondering if itīs any good ?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

It's rushed out garbage, which among many sins, is missing the expansion. Grab the original on GOG and don't look back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008
Ive said it before but if you want to play HOMM3 or something like HOMM3.. just play HOMM3.