Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Slithery D
Jul 19, 2012

Justin Tyme posted:

We had an older dude who was a college e4 (not a dumb guy all things considered, he honestly just wanted to serve in an enlisted capacity and had a big interest in history/war movies) that was pretty financially stable. Dude decides he wants a place of his own since living in the barracks with a bunch of 18-twentysomethings who trash the place every weekend gets a little old. He gets a mortgage for a quaint little house in a quiet neighborhood 30 minutes from post for something like 4-500$ a month. PSG/PL get wind of it and nearly give him a negative counseling for doing it under his own volition and not telling anyone. Nothing ever really came out of it since the dude made it abundantly clear he knew what he was doing. Last I heard, he actually ended up getting sick of the commute/started living with a girlfriend and turned it into an investment property making around $300 a month in profit.

Are you seriously required to consult with your first line before you make a major purchase? Like, is that a regulation? That was always one of those things they heavily implied was a regulation but never cited anything. I might just be misremembering things but I am fairly sure one guy got smoked for buying a car without telling anyone once.

Most places you aren't supposed to live off post as a single E4, so that's probably why he got yelled at. Lots of Joes do keep a place off post even without BAH, but they're not supposed to, and they often turn into underage drinking/drugs/slut banging hide outs with several dudes chipping in from their basic pay for the rent.

--break--

So one Friday afternoon my commander tells me I have to go supervise a meeting between a SSG getting a divorce and his soon to be ex. He's going to give her money, she's going to schedule a time he can see his kids. They pick a bank lobby at 1630 to have the meeting.

I pull up and see SSG's truck is backed up to the door, and his ex's car is next to it. No one else is there but employees. I walk in all these middle aged old ladies visibly relax; apparently backing your truck up to the door at 16:30 on a Friday is classic bank robber behavior, and they think these two (and she looks like a bitch who'd cut you) were about to rob the place. I walk in and suddenly everything's legit.

Until they started yelling at each other about how much she'd been loving her drug dealer, who he'd been loving before/during/after she started loving her drug dealer, who stole whose dog, etc. She didn't get the money, he didn't get to see the kids, the bank employees didn't remain happy to see me.

The Slithery D fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 16, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I was pretty adamant about refusing to get involved in people's poo poo at my level unless it was affecting their performance, was illegal/against regs, or they specifically came to me. My CO and BC would bitch about it until I pointed out that Joe maintenance was an NCO job, specifically a PSG and 1SG job.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009
My favorite were the deployment day trader wannabes. We had two guys conspire to be all about the stock-market since we were spending 13-14 hours a day in the tscif anyway and managed to probably lose a cumulative total of 8-10k.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Ptolemaeus posted:

My favorite were the deployment day trader wannabes. We had two guys conspire to be all about the stock-market since we were spending 13-14 hours a day in the tscif anyway and managed to probably lose a cumulative total of 8-10k.

Yep. That happened in my squad too, along with the Dinar and everything else in 2004/2005.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If I ever deploy again, I'm going to set up a smuggling ring to bring American cigarettes and dip into country, because I swear to God some of my Joes would pay $10-20 per pack/tin for that poo poo every time someone got a care package.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

When I was on active duty, there was this sudden concern in III Corps (or maybe just 4ID) that soldiers weren't going to their parent teacher conferences if they had kids and for about a month there was this big push to track it and make sure they were.

It ended when they realized that the schools refused to release the information.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
just set up a prostitution ring like everyone else

11b1p
Feb 5, 2008

This picture is worth 20 words or something.
73 days left and my clearance is finally renewed.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I'm going to find the source for this soon, I just saw a headline on CNN that said "Army morale at extreme low," and I thought of you guys.

Dream Weaver
Jan 23, 2007
Sweat Baby, sweat baby
http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/16/army-survey-morale/24897455/
This is probably it. 274 million? Really? I could have done that with like 200K and been way more scientific about it.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

White Chocolate posted:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2015/04/16/army-survey-morale/24897455/
This is probably it. 274 million? Really? I could have done that with like 200K and been way more scientific about it.

Wasabi the J posted:

NOT A DUFFELBLOG ARTICLE:

Army morale low despite 6-year, $287M optimism program

quote:

Twelve months of data through early 2015 show that 403,564 soldiers, or 52%, scored badly in the area of optimism, agreeing with statements such as "I rarely count on good things happening to me." Forty-eight percent have little satisfaction in or commitment to their jobs.

quote:

Other results:

-- Forty-eight percent or about 370,000 soldiers showed a lack of commitment to their job or would have chosen another if they had it to do over again. Only 28% felt good about what they do.

-- About 300,000 soldiers or nearly 40% didn't trust their immediate supervisor or fellow soldiers in their unit or didn't feel respected or valued. Thirty-two percent felt good about about bosses and peers.

-- In one positive trend, more than 400,000 soldiers or 53% said they were satisfied or extremely satisfied with their marriage, personal relationship or family. About 240,000 expressed dissatisfaction.

-- For physical fitness, nearly 40% were in good shape, 28% were borderline, and 33% did poorly.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
Holy loving poo poo that is a loving amazing loving read.

Army resiliency office says "hey, everything's great!"

USA Today says "hey, we heard differently"

Army resiliency office says "nuh uh!"

USA Today gets the data and confronts them with it

Army resiliency office changes the thresholds of what makes a positive score. "see? Told you so!"

And then these dickheads pipe up and say

quote:

Retired vice admiral Norb Ryan, head of the Military Officers Association of America, and Joyce Raezer, executive of the National Military Family Association, said the results are not surprising. Fourteen years of war and recent decisions to downsize or cut funding for the military have left morale low, they said.

Meaning that fuckers still have no idea what the real problem is.

Army gonna army!

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
The funniest part is that spokesman handled those questions so poorly, that in any other line of work they'd be quickly sacked; but because it's Army, this person could stand to get an ARCOM for moving the goalposts that far.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Holy gently caress that made my morning. Every piece of it it is just so Army, including them changing the definition of "optimism" after the fact.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
how is this news to anyone

the army has been and never will be an enjoyable prospect for anyone involved

what should be surprising to everyone is that 6 years and $287M were devoted to determine what people should already know about military morale

actually the military wasting time and money shouldn't surprise anyone, either

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

not caring here posted:

Meaning that fuckers still have no idea what the real problem is.

Army gonna army!

That was the part that jumped out at me too but I guess I'm more cynical and attribute things to malice before stupidity. I figures they know pretty well how the lovely environment fucks everything up and just don't care, they wanted to make a political point about how someone else is responsible for their problem and they need more money as a fix.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
COL Dickshits: so, CPT Fucktard, have you figured out why the Army is having such resiliency issues?
CPT Fucktard: uh, yeah, sir. It's because of people and 'leaders' like you and your self-serving policies that only accomplish--
COL Dickshits: no, that's not it.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
Army resiliency training, the best training for making you want to suck start a rifle.

Ptolemaeus
Jan 17, 2009

Painsaw posted:

Army resiliency training, the best training for making you want to suck start a rifle.

Alright everyone I know its Weds and you have so much to do before Friday that getting out on time for the weekend already looks dubious. We are taking the day off for safety stand down and I want 100% of asses in seats for this 6 hour block of powerpoint training and random speakers that will choose people to be awkward on stage in front of their peers. I feel good about how much this will impact morale.

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

"Study determines condescending bullshit training on 'how you too can suck it up even harder, troop'" does not actually create 'resiliency', whatever the gently caress that's supposed to be - News at 10:00!"

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

SumYungGui posted:

That was the part that jumped out at me too but I guess I'm more cynical and attribute things to malice before stupidity. I figures they know pretty well how the lovely environment fucks everything up and just don't care, they wanted to make a political point about how someone else is responsible for their problem and they need more money as a fix.

I'm gonna put it down to political fuckery AND being oblivious dipshits. One of them was a retired navy dude with a fast track career so he was living the cush life most of his time in, the dick.

Hey, anyone remember a very similar article a while back, I ain't gonna search for it because I'm just gonna get mad, about the American Psychiatric Association commenting on the army resiliency program? It boiled down to "this is probably gonna help only people who have somehow developed no coping mechanisms through their life, and it's only gonna hurt people who have already developed them". And the army's response was "no, you're wrong, it totally works. Why? Because I said so."

Getting some deja vu up in this bitch.

Painsaw
Jul 3, 2008

Butts lol
If all this dumb garrison bullshit just vanished tomorrow, what would we do with all this free time?

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Get drunk. Masturbate. Etc.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Ptolemaeus posted:

Alright everyone I know its Weds and you have so much to do before Friday that getting out on time for the weekend already looks dubious. We are taking the day off for safety stand down and I want 100% of asses in seats for this 6 hour block of powerpoint training and random speakers that will choose people to be awkward on stage in front of their peers. I feel good about how much this will impact morale.

fell asleep at powerpoint

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Painsaw posted:

If all this dumb garrison bullshit just vanished tomorrow, what would we do with all this free time?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!

Painsaw posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jjiWS__Mp0

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
That article is the perfect summary of the Army. I want to print it out and frame it.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Somewhere there's a CSM who thinks the answer is bringing back starched uniforms and shined boots. Here's an obvious solution to morale problems: bump up lower enlisted pay. An E4 with 2 or less years in is making $2,019.60 a month prior to taxes. Oh sure, there's free food and room and board and all the shitfuckery that makes all that miserable, but making getting paid $12 an hour for a 40 hour workweek and actually working 60-90+ hours then watching hippies protest for $15 to flip burgers must feel awesome.

"Hurr durrr why does the Air Force constantly meet their retention & enlistment goals but we have such a hard time?" gee probably because you aren't willing to make the soldiers quality of life better maybe?

Here's another idea, random IG inspections where the lower enlisted are segregated and put into rooms where they fill out computerized surveys anonymously peer reviewing their chain of command. Who am I kidding, that won't happen. Easier just to kill all nobles

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

sky shark posted:

Somewhere there's a CSM who thinks the answer is bringing back starched uniforms and shined boots. Here's an obvious solution to morale problems: bump up lower enlisted pay. An E4 with 2 or less years in is making $2,019.60 a month prior to taxes. Oh sure, there's free food and room and board and all the shitfuckery that makes all that miserable, but making getting paid $12 an hour for a 40 hour workweek and actually working 60-90+ hours then watching hippies protest for $15 to flip burgers must feel awesome.

"Hurr durrr why does the Air Force constantly meet their retention & enlistment goals but we have such a hard time?" gee probably because you aren't willing to make the soldiers quality of life better maybe?

Here's another idea, random IG inspections where the lower enlisted are segregated and put into rooms where they fill out computerized surveys anonymously peer reviewing their chain of command. Who am I kidding, that won't happen. Easier just to kill all nobles

What are the benefits people give you about being mil if you are enlisted and complain about the low pay? The two you mentioned are some of the ones that piss me off the most.

The free room is cancelled out by the lovely life of being in the barracks. Seriously, barracks life is loving horrible. When I was at Campbell our platoon sergeant had a loving hard on for cleaning the barracks. We went around and told all the other platoons and companies to keep things clean since we were the only loving platoon who would be out there regularly cleaning it. It actually started fights because, even after hanging signs asking people to clean, no one did. The laundry room was his favorite thing to bitch about, so I started throwing people's poo poo away if I found that it was left in the dryer for more than a few hours. If you don't have any laundry to wash, you won't gently caress the laundry room up. No matter what we did, nothing was good enough and it was always 2nd platoon, C Co, 1-502nd IN that was at fault for the barracks being trashed. I didn't know what else to do, so I got desperate and it actually came to me stealing people's poo poo and throwing it away to solve the problem (the problem never got solved, but a few fights broke out, but that platoon sergeant eventually PCS'd).

The free food sucks balls and when I was in you had to drive around and hope you found the open DFAC for dinner during the week, or for any meal on the weekend. CQ and staff duty never loving know which one is open. God forbid you're busy doing something and you don't have time to make it to the DFAC until it's only open for 10 more minutes (and it closed at loving 1730 on the weekends so you were hungry by like 2100 and were probably buying food anyway). Hope you pick the right one! And if you do pick the right one, I hope you have the appetite of a supermodel, because your portions are small as gently caress and nowhere near enough to fill you up if you do any kind of physical activity that burns calories (you know, that thing you do every loving morning?).

holy loving poo poo i hate the army. gently caress.

Cole fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 17, 2015

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
It's good to be out.

kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's good to be out.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]

Cole posted:

What are the benefits people give you about being mil if you are enlisted and complain about the low pay? The two you mentioned are some of the ones that piss me off the most.

The free room is cancelled out by the lovely life of being in the barracks. Seriously, barracks life is loving horrible. When I was at Campbell our platoon sergeant had a loving hard on for cleaning the barracks. We went around and told all the other platoons and companies to keep things clean since we were the only loving platoon who would be out there regularly cleaning it. It actually started fights because, even after hanging signs asking people to clean, no one did. The laundry room was his favorite thing to bitch about, so I started throwing people's poo poo away if I found that it was left in the dryer for more than a few hours. If you don't have any laundry to wash, you won't gently caress the laundry room up. No matter what we did, nothing was good enough and it was always 2nd platoon, C Co, 1-502nd IN that was at fault for the barracks being trashed. I didn't know what else to do, so I got desperate and it actually came to me stealing people's poo poo and throwing it away to solve the problem (the problem never got solved, but a few fights broke out, but that platoon sergeant eventually PCS'd).

The free food sucks balls and when I was in you had to drive around and hope you found the open DFAC for dinner during the week, or for any meal on the weekend. CQ and staff duty never loving know which one is open. God forbid you're busy doing something and you don't have time to make it to the DFAC until it's only open for 10 more minutes (and it closed at loving 1730 on the weekends so you were hungry by like 2100 and were probably buying food anyway). Hope you pick the right one! And if you do pick the right one, I hope you have the appetite of a supermodel, because your portions are small as gently caress and nowhere near enough to fill you up if you do any kind of physical activity that burns calories (you know, that thing you do every loving morning?).

And they never kept loving 5th group DFAC open for dinner!

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's good to be out.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Cole posted:

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's good to be out.

Civ life owns :feelsgood:

Kiryen
Feb 25, 2015

sky shark posted:

Somewhere there's a CSM who thinks the answer is bringing back starched uniforms and shined boots.

Compared to the "Resiliancy" MRT SHARP WTFLOLBBQ training bullshit, that CSM is a loving genius.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

On a lighter note, I re watched Three Kings for the first time in like 10 years and holy drat is that a good movie.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's good to be out.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Spicy Guacamole posted:

It's good to be out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
In like a week my NG unit is going on a 2 week mission across the nation to [redacted] from A Carolina to Utah

10 hours on the road every day but let me point out the catering on this powerpoint! No alcohol hooah see you in 2 weeks soldiers

thanks sir

its curtains for Kevin fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Apr 18, 2015

• Locked thread