Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
So I just found something very strange out about my rMBP.

Here's my setup. I have an extension cable running under my couch, which my Macbook and phone are plugged into. My Macbook is sitting in my lap. If I pick up my phone with one hand and move my other hand across the surface of my Macbook, it feels... resonant. If I put the phone down, or unplug my Macbook, the "resonant" feeling goes away.

What's happening? It is something I should be concerned about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

lelandjs posted:

Here's my setup. I have an extension cable running under my couch, which my Macbook and phone are plugged into. My Macbook is sitting in my lap. If I pick up my phone with one hand and move my other hand across the surface of my Macbook, it feels... resonant. If I put the phone down, or unplug my Macbook, the "resonant" feeling goes away.

I've noticed this with all of the aluminium Macs over time and I think it's to do with grounding on the power brick.

I'm not sure what configuration power adapters have internationally but in Australia the duck-head attachment that plugs straight into the wall is two-pronged (no grounding pin) and the extension cable attachment is three pronged (grounding pin). I've only ever noticed the 'buzz' you describe when running with the two-pronged attachment.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

lelandjs posted:

I've definitely noticed the "buzz" on my MBA but never attributed it to what I'm holding or whether the laptop's plugged in. Now you mention it though, it does seem to disappear when I unplug the power lead (3-prong UK plug supremacy).

To me the closest description of it is the vibration you feel if you hold a portable hard drive, only in this case the sensation is caused by your finger moving rather than the spinning disk.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

If you feel that buzz on your dwelling's metal lighting fixtures, your wiring sucks.

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse
I have a late 2012 21.5" iMac. How much better would the performance of a newer model iMac give in terms of game performance? I'm really only interested in playing Kerbal Space Program, Cities: Skylines, and the Blizzard games. They run...ok currently (and better when I bootcamp, unfortunately), but I'm looking for better performance. I plan to reformat/reinstall this weekend to see if I can get a boost but I'm not opposed to buying a new model (either now or down the road, in a few months) if I'll see a big difference.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

lelandjs posted:

It's totally normal, it has to do with you grounding out on the aluminum.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

fleur_de_leet posted:

I have a late 2012 21.5" iMac. How much better would the performance of a newer model iMac give in terms of game performance? I'm really only interested in playing Kerbal Space Program, Cities: Skylines, and the Blizzard games. They run...ok currently (and better when I bootcamp, unfortunately), but I'm looking for better performance. I plan to reformat/reinstall this weekend to see if I can get a boost but I'm not opposed to buying a new model (either now or down the road, in a few months) if I'll see a big difference.
The main bottleneck on iMacs for graphical performance is usually the video card because while they've got a desktop CPU in them they only use mobile/laptop GPUs.

If you're still looking at a 21.5" iMac the only one with a discrete graphics card is the highest-tier config and even that only has a 750m with 1GB of RAM that doesn't look like it can be upgraded. My 2013 rMBP had a 750m with 2GB of RAM and while it was sort of okay running stuff at 1440x900 (iMac is 1080p I think so performance will probably be a bit worse) it still struggled a bit sometimes. I admittedly wasn't running it in Bootcamp and never tried anything more taxing than Diablo III or Guild Wars 2 on it but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't much of an upgrade from your current one. I dunno what your budget is but the upper-tier 27" (non-5K version) has a 775m in it although it's quite a bit more expensive and if you ran it at the native 1440p resolution it might not really be any better.

Honestly if you want to play games and you're happy with the performance of your iMac for non-gaming activities you're probably better off spending money on a budget gaming PC or a console.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Or a Hackintosh.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Mercurius posted:

I've noticed this with all of the aluminium Macs over time and I think it's to do with grounding on the power brick.

I'm not sure what configuration power adapters have internationally but in Australia the duck-head attachment that plugs straight into the wall is two-pronged (no grounding pin) and the extension cable attachment is three pronged (grounding pin). I've only ever noticed the 'buzz' you describe when running with the two-pronged attachment.

I was messing around with my oscilloscope once and I noticed that the body of my macbook seemed to have a 120V 60Hz signal when I probed it. I'm guessing it's just goofiness of having a transformer and no grounding, but that may not be it since grounding things sometimes trips me up.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

~Coxy posted:

Or a Hackintosh.

Depends on your level of technical expertise I guess, I consider myself somewhere in the intermediate level of computer knowledge (can easily operate any kind of computer OS, built my own PC's before) and trying to configure and troubleshoot one wasn't worth the time I spent on it.

Also while Macs tend to be pricey, I think they're priced competitively compared to their PC counterparts when you compare part for part. It's just that if you wanted to build a gaming PC only you could skimp in certain areas and not compromise performance, but if you were going to build a 5k video editing rig you really have to spend lots on a good display, multi-core/threaded CPU's, gobs of RAM, two or more GPU's, tons of storage.

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

Mercurius posted:

Honestly if you want to play games and you're happy with the performance of your iMac for non-gaming activities you're probably better off spending money on a budget gaming PC or a console.

This is the answer, and the route I took. Apple doesn't care to tune their drivers to get every single ounce of GPU performance out of them like the GPU makers themselves do.

EDIT: And most engines support OpenGL as an after-thought, if at all.

NeuralSpark fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Apr 15, 2015

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Eeyo posted:

I was messing around with my oscilloscope once and I noticed that the body of my macbook seemed to have a 120V 60Hz signal when I probed it. I'm guessing it's just goofiness of having a transformer and no grounding, but that may not be it since grounding things sometimes trips me up.
Yeah, I figured it was something to do with grounding. Like I said, it doesn't do it with the 3 prong connector on the extension cable that includes a grounding pin with the adapters here in Australia.

1st AD posted:

Depends on your level of technical expertise I guess, I consider myself somewhere in the intermediate level of computer knowledge (can easily operate any kind of computer OS, built my own PC's before) and trying to configure and troubleshoot one wasn't worth the time I spent on it.

Also while Macs tend to be pricey, I think they're priced competitively compared to their PC counterparts when you compare part for part. It's just that if you wanted to build a gaming PC only you could skimp in certain areas and not compromise performance, but if you were going to build a 5k video editing rig you really have to spend lots on a good display, multi-core/threaded CPU's, gobs of RAM, two or more GPU's, tons of storage.
As Coxy says Hackintosh is certainly an option if you didn't already have a Mac but in this case fleur de leet already has the iMac so I sort of figured it was a bit redundant.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010
Does anyone here have experience with their iMac 'waking up' in sleep mode at random intervals? My 2009 iMac will spin up the harddrive, make a bunch of clicking noises I guess like it's reading something, then go back to sleep after a random period of time (usually 10-30 seconds). The screen will stay off the whole time, but I have the computer in my bedroom now and god dammit it's annoying sometimes when I'm trying to go to sleep.

Sometimes it'll spin up once every 4 hours, other times it will spin up twice in 10 minutes. I've tried turning off bluetooth, wifi, quitting all apps, etc. It's been doing this since I bought the computer, and I've done a clean system install on it and HD wipe, so I don't think it's any weird software I have installed. It's had every OS from 10.6 or whatever to 10.10 installed on it, always with the same issue. I've looked every few months and never found any helpful advice on it by Googling.

It's so slow to start up that I hate turning the computer off every evening. It's not my primary computer, and I'm going to get rid of it at the next iMac refresh, but it'd be nice in the meantime to get it fixed. I never cared before when it was in the living room but have noticed this issue forever. I don't remember it happening on my previous iMac of the same body type (the 2007 one).

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Saladman posted:

Does anyone here have experience with their iMac 'waking up' in sleep mode at random intervals? My 2009 iMac will spin up the harddrive, make a bunch of clicking noises I guess like it's reading something, then go back to sleep after a random period of time (usually 10-30 seconds). The screen will stay off the whole time, but I have the computer in my bedroom now and god dammit it's annoying sometimes when I'm trying to go to sleep.

Sometimes it'll spin up once every 4 hours, other times it will spin up twice in 10 minutes. I've tried turning off bluetooth, wifi, quitting all apps, etc. It's been doing this since I bought the computer, and I've done a clean system install on it and HD wipe, so I don't think it's any weird software I have installed. It's had every OS from 10.6 or whatever to 10.10 installed on it, always with the same issue. I've looked every few months and never found any helpful advice on it by Googling.

It's so slow to start up that I hate turning the computer off every evening. It's not my primary computer, and I'm going to get rid of it at the next iMac refresh, but it'd be nice in the meantime to get it fixed. I never cared before when it was in the living room but have noticed this issue forever. I don't remember it happening on my previous iMac of the same body type (the 2007 one).

Possibly power nap? Turns on to check for updates, time machine backups, etc. The setting for this is in energy saver preferences.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

1st AD posted:

Out of curiosity, is there ever a case where it makes sense to get a Mac Pro to handle multiple roles? Like, say you want a decent 4k/5k editing machine but you'd also like a way to run an Oculus Rift with all of the goodies turned on and set to high levels (which the 2013 iMac apparently can't really do, though it gets close). At which point does the "have an iMac for mac jobs and a gaming PC for the other stuff" model start to lose its appeal? Let's pretend that Hackintoshes aren't an option and that WIndows would be used rarely enough to not necessarily warrant its own rig.

The reason I ask is because the rising tide of VR and the type of games being shown off for it seem to be generating a lot of interest among people who otherwise wouldn't give two shits about PC gaming. The two most resource-intensive games that I've played on my rMBP are Civ 5 and Cookie Clicker but the idea of dumping hours into a spaceflight sim like Elite: Dangerous or EVE Valkyrie really appeals to me- and it does to a lot of my Mac-owning friends too.

By the very nature of VR, there's a lot more pressure there to get the very best possible performance out of your GPU. You lose way more of the experience by turning stuff off or lowering settings than you do with a display and dropped frames/rendering artifacts can be disorienting and nauseating rather than merely annoying. An iMac that works decently well as an edit rig might not have enough grunt to be an ideal VR machine. That said, I'm sure that the M290X/M295X that come in the 5k iMac are probably more than plenty and that the refreshes coming within the next two years (you know, when VR actually makes an appreciable consumer debut) will probably make my question moot.

Saladman posted:

Are you running Time Machine in the background? It's the only thing I can think of.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

lelandjs posted:

Cool! My Macbook Air does the same, definately something todo with my PSU not being grounded. Can actually pout my ear down to the machine, run my fingers across it anbd hear (and also feel) a hum.

My wife do love it when I touch the machine with one hand, and run the fingers on my other hand down her back ;)

E: In short, you Macbook can act as a "sextoy".

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Mac Hardware megathread - your MacBook can act as a sex toy

fleur_de_leet
Jun 8, 2005

All the pale things under the earth
Will reverse

Mercurius posted:

As Coxy says Hackintosh is certainly an option if you didn't already have a Mac but in this case fleur de leet already has the iMac so I sort of figured it was a bit redundant.

Yeah my iMac is good for everything else but games. Certainly don't feel comfortable with a hackintosh as a daily use computer.

Thanks for the input everyone. Guess I'll buy myself a gaming PC, and keep the iMac for general usage.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

fleur_de_leet posted:

Yeah my iMac is good for everything else but games. Certainly don't feel comfortable with a hackintosh as a daily use computer.

Thanks for the input everyone. Guess I'll buy myself a gaming PC, and keep the iMac for general usage.

Funny enough, I have used a hackintosh for business purposes out of my home office since Tiger and it's always been incredibly stable. :shrug:

In fact, the big problem used to be updates, but now days updates are really easy as well.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I'd prefer to have Apple support if anything breaks myself, but if you're already in a position where you are able to get a Hackintosh working, it might be fine for you.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

fleur_de_leet posted:

On my 27" iMac under bootcamp and I had two command line shortcuts on the desktop pertaining to the fan control. If I wanted to play Diablo III or Payday 2 at full res with decent frame rate, I'd double click the shortcut to set the fans to 2/3 of their max speed and I never had a problem or a frame slowdown. If I left it default, the GPU would clock down after 2 minutes of good performance due to heat and frames would stutter. When I finished gaming, if I still needed to use windows, I'd double click the "disable" shortcut to set the fan back down to normal. Maybe give this a shot and test your games / desired frame rate and detail before spending any money?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Hardware question, I think...

So I have a relatively new iMac (January).

It boots up super fast. (the black screen with white Apple Logo and Progress Bar) (like inside of 10 seconds.)

I came back from Mexico 2 weeks ago and now it boots up at over a minute. The only thing I changed that I am aware of is I updated to 10.10.3.

Anyone else experienced slower boot ups since then? (or have any other ideas?)

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Feenix posted:

Hardware question, I think...

So I have a relatively new iMac (January).

It boots up super fast. (the black screen with white Apple Logo and Progress Bar) (like inside of 10 seconds.)

I came back from Mexico 2 weeks ago and now it boots up at over a minute. The only thing I changed that I am aware of is I updated to 10.10.3.

Reset PRAM (<option>⌘PR) (all four together)

If that doesn't fix it, try booting up in verbose mode (⌘V). That may give you an idea what's hanging. You very well may have a 3rd party kext that's not playing nice with the new version. This will give you a list of all 3rd party kexts to compare against.
code:
 kextstat | grep -v com.apple
It should be fairly short like this (hmm, I need to get the DisplayLink and Logitech Unify drivers out)
code:
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
   84    0 0xffffff7f811e9000 0x5000     0x5000     com.plantronics.driver.PlantronicsDriverShield (4.3) <37 5 4 3>
  116    0 0xffffff7f80f81000 0xf000     0xf000     com.displaylink.driver.DisplayLinkDriver (2.4) <80 5 4 3>
  171    0 0xffffff7f83058000 0x46000    0x46000    com.Logitech.Control Center.HID Driver (3.9.1) <69 67 37 32 5 4 3>
  172    1 0xffffff7f82fbc000 0x11000    0x11000    com.vmware.kext.vmci (90.6.3) <12 5 4 3 1>
  173    0 0xffffff7f82fcd000 0xf000     0xf000     com.vmware.kext.vsockets (90.6.0) <172 7 5 4 3 1>
  174    0 0xffffff7f82fdc000 0xa000     0xa000     com.vmware.kext.vmnet (0249.89.30) <5 4 3 1>
  175    0 0xffffff7f82fe6000 0x10000    0x10000    com.vmware.kext.vmx86 (0249.89.30) <7 5 4 3 1>
  176    0 0xffffff7f82ff6000 0x6000     0x6000     com.vmware.kext.vmioplug.14.1.3 (14.1.3) <37 5 4 3 1>
Lastly give Apple support a call.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Apr 16, 2015

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Thanks. Those are all really good suggestions! It wouldn't be the end of the world if it had to be like that, I know as Macs age and you put more poo poo on them the boot up process slows down. I was just surprised at how drastically it changed and seemingly the only thing I changed was updated OS version.

Will try your suggestions, Thanks!

[edit]:
code:
Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) <Linked Against>
   51    1 0xffffff7f80ed8000 0x3a000    0x3a000    com.seagate.driver.PowSecDriverCore (5.2.6) <50 48 47 36 16 5 4 3>
   96    0 0xffffff7f83844000 0x7000     0x7000     com.mice.driver.Xbox360Controller (1.0.0d14) <36 33 5 4 3>
  127    0 0xffffff7f80f1a000 0x11000    0x11000    com.seagate.driver.PowSecLeafDriver_10_5 (5.2.6) <51 48 47 5 4 3>
[edit2] PRAM didn't do it either. Still takes about a minute.

Thinking on it more, the only other thing I did was get a Lay Flat Enclosure and a new WD Red external...but that can't be doing anything.

Also ever since I got back and noticed this was slow, I also noticed my wired Corsair mouse (USB) does not load / start responding until well after it's been about a minute into having the computer fully booted up and ready to interact with.

Will try Verbose.

[edit3] Ok either a Disk Repair, SMC reset, or one of these things plugged into it via USB caused it because I did a Disk Repair, an SMC reset, and unplugged ALL USB stuff and it boots in under 10 seconds.

Feenix fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Apr 16, 2015

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Feenix posted:

You set up Boot Camp, didn't you? That usually kills OS X startup time in my experience.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

You set up Boot Camp, didn't you? That usually kills OS X startup time in my experience.

I thought of that, but I've had bootcamp set up since like Day 3 of owning this thing and startups have always been great. (and are now great again.) It honestly only got bad like in the last week, somehow. But I think it's been fixed. (I won't say resolved since whatever happened could crop up again, but I have sub-10 second OSX boots again, so.... :)

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Feenix posted:

I thought of that, but I've had bootcamp set up since like Day 3 of owning this thing and startups have always been great. (and are now great again.) It honestly only got bad like in the last week, somehow. But I think it's been fixed. (I won't say resolved since whatever happened could crop up again, but I have sub-10 second OSX boots again, so.... :)
Is it sort of sitting on the blank screen before the Apple logo comes up but after the chime happens? I've noticed sometimes that OS X loses its assigned disk and spends time looking for other disks including NetBoot which eventually times out. Try and set the startup disk in System Preferences to your Mac OS X install and see if it helps after a restart.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not really. The progress bar used to be like 10 seconds and then the last few days was a minute or so... But it's fixed now. :)

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What internal interface does the SDXC reader use in the latest MBPs? USB3? USB2?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Shaocaholica posted:

What internal interface does the SDXC reader use in the latest MBPs? USB3? USB2?

It's attached to the USB 3 bus. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth gets its own single PCIe lane.

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

Binary Badger posted:

It's attached to the USB 3 bus. Wi-Fi and Bluetooth gets its own single PCIe lane.

Huh? Oh, they're separate? I thought Wi-Fi and BT were on the same chip.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

crazysim posted:

Huh? Oh, they're separate? I thought Wi-Fi and BT were on the same chip.

Wi-Fi and BT are still on one chip, they get a shared (but separate from USB) PCIe bus connection. The SDXC reader hooks up to a controller chip which in turn is hooked into the USB 3 bus.

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
I have a late 2011 Macbook pro 15inch with the 2.4ghz processor and best video card. I've user upgraded to 16gb of official apple ram (that was an accident) and a 500gb samsung evo 850. All it's guts was just replaced, although it's out of warranty now.

I live in Australia, how much could I reasonably expect to get if I sell? I'm hoping for at least $1500. It's in pretty good condition, other than some mild encloser wear and tear.

EDIT: Ebay is not making me hopeful.

Lord Windy fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Apr 17, 2015

Dan Hollis
Jun 16, 2006

Surprise!!!
So are any of you buying this new loving MacBook or not?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Dan Hollis posted:

I already have a not even a year old 13" rMBP, plus I tried living with the 11" Air a few time and it's just not enough screen space for me.

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Bob Morales posted:

I already have a not even a year old 13" rMBP, plus I tried living with the 11" Air a few time and it's just not enough screen space for me.
The 13" rMBP has essentially the same real estate as the new MacBook. (2560x1600 vs 2304x1440).

App13
Dec 31, 2011

Dan Hollis posted:

I have an Air from 2012, so I know I don't NEED to...

But I kind of want to.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I haven't tested the keyboard and touchpad yet so I'd want to do that before making any decision although its probably no. I don't care for the wedge form factor. I'd rather have a rectangle with moar battery and cooling at the expense of a little more weight.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Dan Hollis posted:

I was never their target demographic. I did think briefly about it but then remembered I like thunderbolt of all things :v: .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Dan Hollis posted:

When the price goes down in a few years, yeah.