Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I'm confused. Exactly what is connected over Bluetooth to your htpc? A pair of headphones, I presume, but you don't mention.
If not, could you draw a diagram?

Yes, headphones (via an adapter). The underlying problem is how to easily switch to headphones if one of us is working. Before, we had a real long cable, but we didn't like the clutter. And that still had the same problem of going through a half dozen Kodi screens to switch back and forth. An appeal of a proper OS-level Bluetooth solution might be that the other audio output is automatically switched off when the Bluetooth receiver is connected, without having to muck through the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

SurgicalOntologist posted:

Yes, headphones (via an adapter). The underlying problem is how to easily switch to headphones if one of us is working. Before, we had a real long cable, but we didn't like the clutter. And that still had the same problem of going through a half dozen Kodi screens to switch back and forth. An appeal of a proper OS-level Bluetooth solution might be that the other audio output is automatically switched off when the Bluetooth receiver is connected, without having to muck through the settings.

You may want to look into a pair of wireless headphones like the Sennheiser RS120. It's fairly cheap and you won't have to muck around with any of that stuff.

Plug the base directly into the headphone jack on your TV and, when you want to use it, mute the TV.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

If I understand correctly Bluetooth works the same way, with just one more added step of turning on the remote device. And I guess the small clutter of having to plug in the headphone cable to the Bluetooth adapter at the remote end.

But the problem is the OpenElec can only output to one audio device at a time, so we'd still have to muck through the menus to change from HDMI audio to the headphone jack.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

SurgicalOntologist posted:

If I understand correctly Bluetooth works the same way, with just one more added step of turning on the remote device. And I guess the small clutter of having to plug in the headphone cable to the Bluetooth adapter at the remote end.

But the problem is the OpenElec can only output to one audio device at a time, so we'd still have to muck through the menus to change from HDMI audio to the headphone jack.

No he's saying use the headphone port on your TV, not your computer. just hit the mute button on the TV remote to mute the TV and it should still play via line-out to the headphone-> bluetooth transmitter

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

SeaborneClink posted:

No he's saying use the headphone port on your TV, not your computer. just hit the mute button on the TV remote to mute the TV and it should still play via line-out to the headphone-> bluetooth transmitter

Even better, most TVs will auto-mute the TV speakers when anything is connected to the headphone jack.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

SeaborneClink posted:

Oh, my bad. Didn't even realize the TV has a headphones output. It's a little more complicated as we have speakers connected to the TV's RCA output rather than using the TV's internal speakers (and as a result, the TV volume/mute does nothing). But I can figure out a way to easily power on and off the speakers so that will do.

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

Even better, most TVs will auto-mute the TV speakers when anything is connected to the headphone jack.

This would be a little more annoying as it would require plugging and un-plugging to switch to headphones, but not too big a deal.

Thanks, all.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
My folks are bitching about their cable bill. I think they would be fine with a Roku, Netflix, Hulu, and antenna.

The only thing they watch on a regular basis is Polish shows. Not like live TV, but movies and the like. Does anyone know if there's something like Netflix but for Polish content? This would be in the US (some searching shows there is something in the EU/UK).

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004

Uthor posted:

My folks are bitching about their cable bill. I think they would be fine with a Roku, Netflix, Hulu, and antenna.

The only thing they watch on a regular basis is Polish shows. Not like live TV, but movies and the like. Does anyone know if there's something like Netflix but for Polish content? This would be in the US (some searching shows there is something in the EU/UK).

My guess would be some polish-oriented Xbmc/kodi addon.

wolfbiker
Nov 6, 2009
Just have a quick question about how casting a video works.

Let's say I have a USB gigabit adapter hooked to my Nexus Player. If I cast something from my phone over my WiFi, does it go wirelessly from router to phone, then from phone to Nexus Player, or would it just go from router to NP through Ethernet?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

If it's anything like the casting videos I've seen, first you need a black leather couch...

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

wolfbiker posted:

Just have a quick question about how casting a video works.

Let's say I have a USB gigabit adapter hooked to my Nexus Player. If I cast something from my phone over my WiFi, does it go wirelessly from router to phone, then from phone to Nexus Player, or would it just go from router to NP through Ethernet?

Through the router then through Ethernet.

Edit: I do exactly that

Rooted Vegetable fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 28, 2015

DILLIGAF
Nov 16, 2003

I don't know, I find it hard to take hipster/non-hipster advice from someone with a Brony avatar!
I am looking at my first HTPC build and was wondering if anyone is using an ASRock FM2A88X-ITX+ mobo (or one similar) with HDMI in and HDMI out.

According to the ASRock, it can be used as a pass-thru or you can toggle input via hotkey, but I am interested in using that as a way to record video using screen cap software. Reasonable assumption?

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Apologies if this has been discussed recently but I went back about five pages and didn't see it.

At the moment it's uncertain whether Windows Media Center will be continued in Windows 10. So far there's no sign of it, but we're not even in beta yet so I don't think it's fair to jump to any conclusions. As far as I'm aware though it's the only PC program that supports copy protected content from CableCard tuners.

Am I correct on this, and if so is there any other potential option on the horizon or all owners of CC tuners just have to use Windows 7/8 until they lose support? I have never met a cable company DVR that didn't suck and TiVo is only good in comparison, plus paying yet another monthly fee annoys me.

I really want to pick up a HDHR Prime and get my cable back, but I can't find any info about how the copy flags are set around here and don't want to commit to it if I won't be able to both keep my computers up-to-date and watch all my channels.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I imagine WMC will work fine, it will be exactly like 7 and 8s

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I've been out out of the cable world for a while now, but just signed a 2 year agreement with Comcast and got a pretty swell deal on digital starter. The cable box they gave me is a no thrills, basic RF cable box. Everything else is routed through my receiver, and I'm looking at options to swap out the box for a cable card. I have a HTPC, what could i get for it to work with a cable card? I don't care about on demand or pay per view, just basic live TV watching here and there

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
Buy an hdhomerun prime and windows media center.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Don Lapre posted:

Buy an hdhomerun prime and windows media center.

I haven't looked at those in a while, do they have chromecast support at all? IE, have the hdhomerun hooked up in one room, i can watch TV on a TV that doesn't have a cable connection?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Medullah posted:

I haven't looked at those in a while, do they have chromecast support at all? IE, have the hdhomerun hooked up in one room, i can watch TV on a TV that doesn't have a cable connection?

That's not how hdhr works. As long as your computers are on the same network as the device, you can tune into the streams.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
I have some older PCI-based audio interfaces (M-Audio Delta-44 and/or Delta-1010) and am screwing around with various configurations for shitz. I'm not really trying to accomplish anything other than to see if it works, but:

Is it possible to connect two reference monitors on channels 1 & 2 and two bass amps/cabinets on channels 3 & 4 and use that configuration for a tweeter/woofer set up to listen to MP3 music and/or watch movies?

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm going to ask here since it seems most relevant. Our work got a second hand HDTV that they want to use in the dyno room because our engineer is having an issue being able to see a 17" monitor from 10 feet away.

The problem is that we cannot get a picture on it. The computer has an HDMI out and VGA out, the TV has HDMI. I've connected the VGA port to our 17" VGA monitor and the HDMI to the TV. The catalyst control center will not detect the TV. The HDMI out port works fine if I connect an HDMI monitor. I can get the bios and boot screen to show on the TV if it is the only thing connected, but once it goes into into window's higher resolution, the picture drops out.

I picked up an HDMI to component converter. The converter is detected by catalyst control center, I've outputted 720p and 1080p to the converter and the TV still will not show a picture via component. Its an old Sharp, and the specs show that it accepts a 720p signal, not much else other than the native panel being 768, and I even tried pumping it that (and 720p and 1080p) with a vga to hdmi converter. I haven't tried 1080i yet as I just thought of it, but I would assume it should take a 720p signal. What the hell? We're about to start looking for used TVs real soon if I cannot find a solution.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Hook it up just via hdmi, does the windows splash screen show up? If so boot up tapping f8 and choose vga mode and see if you can get into windows. If so then change your resolution.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum

Don Lapre posted:

Hook it up just via hdmi, does the windows splash screen show up? If so boot up tapping f8 and choose vga mode and see if you can get into windows. If so then change your resolution.

I swore I've done this, but I'll double check again when I get in. One thing that I would like to repeat, when the TV is connected via HDMI along with the VGA monitor, the Catalyst control center does not detect the TV at all, it isn't listed, only the VGA monitor is listed as a device. If I use the converter box instead, it goes into extended desktop mode and the converter is listed along with the VGA monitor.

Could this be an HDCP problem? I always thought HDCP only applied to content, not displaying a desktop.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Just bought a HD Homerun Prime to hook up to my HTPC, and it's awesome. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheap effective devices to add to my bedroom and computer room TV? I was thinking Raspberry Pi.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Medullah posted:

Just bought a HD Homerun Prime to hook up to my HTPC, and it's awesome. Does anyone have any recommendations on cheap effective devices to add to my bedroom and computer room TV? I was thinking Raspberry Pi.

Fire TV Stick probably can't be beat for the price. You can sideload Kodi and Kodi has an official Homerun add-on.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Fire TV Stick probably can't be beat for the price. You can sideload Kodi and Kodi has an official Homerun add-on.

Perfect, thanks.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Also for stablility. It's been the best version of Kodi/XBMC I've used pretty much ever. This includes a Windows 7 PC HTPC, xbmcuntu, and some other OS built just for XBMC. My only problem so far is that I have to change the icon back to Kodi's icon again on the Fire main menu.

George RR Fartin
Apr 16, 2003

I'm looking to see if there's any easy way to set up a NAS (or similar network storage device) that can be accessed remotely to add torrents (hopefully by sending the torrent link TO the box and having it know to download from that) that can be further accessed by Plex. My current HTPC is starting to overheat, and if I'm gonna redo things, I'd like to do it a bit more effectively than what I have going on now. Everything would be connected via regular old ethernet, though the plex client is on an Amazon Stick.

The best I can think of is to just build a small windows PC and run all the poo poo I need from that; is there any better solution?

Also: is there a readily available utility for bittorrent as described? It looks like Utorrent may have a few, but I'd prefer to avoid that client in particular if possible (I've been using Deluge to this point).

EDIT: actually, it looks like this may be more doable than I thought via web access...

George RR Fartin fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 13, 2015

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

Shlomo Palestein posted:

I'm looking to see if there's any easy way to set up a NAS (or similar network storage device) that can be accessed remotely to add torrents (hopefully by sending the torrent link TO the box and having it know to download from that) that can be further accessed by Plex. My current HTPC is starting to overheat, and if I'm gonna redo things, I'd like to do it a bit more effectively than what I have going on now. Everything would be connected via regular old ethernet, though the plex client is on an Amazon Stick.

The best I can think of is to just build a small windows PC and run all the poo poo I need from that; is there any better solution?

Also: is there a readily available utility for bittorrent as described? It looks like Utorrent may have a few, but I'd prefer to avoid that client in particular if possible (I've been using Deluge to this point).

I think qnap and synology ones both have a client to do this, and are relatively cheap.

Arvid
Oct 9, 2005

Shlomo Palestein posted:

This functionality exists in Synology devices and it works really well using either android or a PC (and I assume iOS as well).

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I got a HDHomeRun Prime and set it up, and I love it. I have no issues with 99% of the channels, however - FX HD just plain doesn't work. There is tons of artifacting and stuttering. All the other HD channels I tested work just fine.

Before I even think of calling Comcast, will they be able to even do anything? Since it's not using one of their tuners and just a CableCARD are they going to say "Sorry about your luck"?

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist

Medullah posted:

I got a HDHomeRun Prime and set it up, and I love it. I have no issues with 99% of the channels, however - FX HD just plain doesn't work. There is tons of artifacting and stuttering. All the other HD channels I tested work just fine.

Before I even think of calling Comcast, will they be able to even do anything? Since it's not using one of their tuners and just a CableCARD are they going to say "Sorry about your luck"?

Look at the tuner stats on the channel when you're tuned to it and see if there is anything up. Sometimes channels are higher frequency have problems first. You should be able to see the signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality on the tuner page. If any of those don't look good you can try fussing with your cable wiring. Each splitter in line drops your signal strength significantly, so removing just one can often fix problems from signal strength. In my case, removing a splitter fixed problems I had getting a single channel that just happened to be at pretty high frequency compared to most of the channels I watched.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Naffer posted:

Look at the tuner stats on the channel when you're tuned to it and see if there is anything up. Sometimes channels are higher frequency have problems first. You should be able to see the signal strength, signal quality, and symbol quality on the tuner page. If any of those don't look good you can try fussing with your cable wiring. Each splitter in line drops your signal strength significantly, so removing just one can often fix problems from signal strength. In my case, removing a splitter fixed problems I had getting a single channel that just happened to be at pretty high frequency compared to most of the channels I watched.

Unfortunately no splitters are being used. :(

Oh wait I'm retarded, I did use a splitter and then decided I didn't need it but never took it off durrrrrrrrrr. Thanks, I'll try that.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Medullah posted:

Unfortunately no splitters are being used. :(

Oh wait I'm retarded, I did use a splitter and then decided I didn't need it but never took it off durrrrrrrrrr. Thanks, I'll try that.

Oh hey now it works. Thanks. "Hangs head in shame"

Naffer
Oct 26, 2004

Not a good chemist
Silicondust posted a kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1275320038/hdhomerun-dvr-the-dvr-re-imagined
It looks like they're trying to put together an alternative to Windows Media Center for playing protected content with a cablecard. The rewards seem pretty bad though (Pledge $60 now and we'll give you $30 worth of service when we launch!)

I assume they see the writing on the wall for Media Center and want to be prepared when it goes.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's also $30 for $30 of service, which seems totally fine?

I'm interested in the $259 tier, honestly. I think I could use a NAS at this point.

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
I went with the $439 tier, because I could use a NAS by now, and I'm seriously interested in a CableCARD tuner for my new Charter subscription, plus I'll need a new ATSC tuner to replace my budget purchased HDHR3-US. I say budget, it was like $75 when I bought it last year from Newegg, open box. The Connect was twice as much new, and it doesn't like that price has changed much in a year's time.

I'm also interested to see how the MPEG-2 video support works on my dad's Fire TV, which allegedly does not have hardware MPEG-2 support, so it will be a 100% software decoder. And of course, I am hoping that my pledge includes a voucher for the VIEW app on the Amazon Store, since I've found that when sideloading unsupported apps onto the Fire TV, they don't even get a freaking icon on the Apps section of the main menu, you have to drill into the Settings menu to Show All Installed Apps both to launch them and to switch back to them if you switch back to the home screen, which is a load of poo poo.

Call Me Charlie posted:

Plug the base directly into the headphone jack on your TV and, when you want to use it, mute the TV.

Of the two TVs I've owned so far, a Samsung 46" and an LG 46", I haven't tried the headphone jack on the LG, assuming it has one, but on the Samsung, it would automatically mute the speakers and any attached analog outputs if headphones are plugged in, and would register a dedicated volume control level for the headphones. The new LG is slightly worse for what its sound menu has, wherein all of the built-in signal processing features are completely disabled if you configure it to route all audio out through the optical port. The fact that it has no analog outputs was a pain, as I had to purchase a DAC with optical input, to drive our existing audio solution, which is a Bose Wave Radio, and the transmitter for a pair of Sennheiser wireless headphones. (Which was a Christmas gift for my dad, which he enjoys way more than the lovely TV Ears thing he used before that.)

kode54 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Apr 24, 2015

catch22
Feb 17, 2006
I'm looking to get a wireless headset that will let me get audio from my receiver and use the mic on my computer. Is it possible for me to do this without having to get BT headphones for my receiver and a seperate BT mic for my PC?

Receiver has no built-in BT, btw.

vvv it more clearly states what I'm looking for, so that's helpful :)

catch22 fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 24, 2015

kode54
Nov 26, 2007

aka kuroshi
Fun Shoe
Sounds like you need something that has analog audio input and analog microphone output on the receiver puck. Unfortunately, I'm not properly equipped to know if such a thing even exists. Sorry for my pseudo insight.

Tiger.Bomb
Jan 22, 2012
Hey guys.

My old linux PC has been hanging a lot recently. It was happening about weekly for a while but now it's almost daily. Display is on and I can't figure out what it is...

It's also circa 2009 (C2D) so I am OK with replacing it.

I want something that runs linux so I can put my own software on it (more than an HTPC, it also is a plex server, irc bouncer, sickbeard, nzbd, etc).

I also have a bunch of drives that are all lvm'd together. Hoping for something I can pop these in and have it work.

Form factor is pretty important, too. I'd like it to fit in my tv shelf if possible.

EDIT: Don't care about tv tuners, recording of any kind. Just something sleek, cool, quiet, with HDMI out. Don't even need optical

Just wondering some good resources or recommendations. I'm very willing to buy my parts and put it together myself.

Tiger.Bomb fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Apr 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chikimiki
May 14, 2009

Tiger.Bomb posted:

Hey guys.

My old linux PC has been hanging a lot recently. It was happening about weekly for a while but now it's almost daily. Display is on and I can't figure out what it is...

It's also circa 2009 (C2D) so I am OK with replacing it.

I want something that runs linux so I can put my own software on it (more than an HTPC, it also is a plex server, irc bouncer, sickbeard, nzbd, etc).

I also have a bunch of drives that are all lvm'd together. Hoping for something I can pop these in and have it work.

Form factor is pretty important, too. I'd like it to fit in my tv shelf if possible.

EDIT: Don't care about tv tuners, recording of any kind. Just something sleek, cool, quiet, with HDMI out. Don't even need optical

Just wondering some good resources or recommendations. I'm very willing to buy my parts and put it together myself.

Intel NUC?