Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
Always pick Logan's Loophole so that enemies don't turn into bullet sponges, and most importantly, you can use all of the drugs you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm not ashamed to admit to being one of the scrubs that downloaded the patch for TTW that replaces all the DC super mutants with the old Fallout 3 ones to avoid spending basically the entire game fighting an army of tough, fast bullet sponges from level 5.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
I must have died more times to the goddamn bomb collar in Dead Money then anything else in the game.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

closeted republican posted:

Always pick Logan's Loophole so that enemies don't turn into bullet sponges, and most importantly, you can use all of the drugs you want.
The secret of Logan's Loophole is that the level cap is a benefit, not a drawback, much like the exp penalty for skilled as actually a good thing.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

LEGO Genetics posted:

I must have died more times to the goddamn bomb collar in Dead Money then anything else in the game.

This. It's the reason why I hate Dead Money so much and always finish off Elder Gramps McDouche with a shotgun or hologram rifle blast to the face. I don't take too kindly to people slapping explosive devices on me. I also like to role play that meeting this jerkbag gives him/her a bad impression of the BoS and would proceed to wipe them out.

I don't really mind the gear stripping, the cloud, or the holograms, but the bomb collar can just die in a fire. Thank goodness I can mod that poo poo out, DM is a bad enough slog without worrying about my head aspolding because of a goddamn hidden speaker I can't find.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Starhawk64 posted:

This. It's the reason why I hate Dead Money so much and always finish off Elder Gramps McDouche with a shotgun or hologram rifle blast to the face. I don't take too kindly to people slapping explosive devices on me. I also like to role play that meeting this jerkbag gives him/her a bad impression of the BoS and would proceed to wipe them out.

I don't really mind the gear stripping, the cloud, or the holograms, but the bomb collar can just die in a fire. Thank goodness I can mod that poo poo out, DM is a bad enough slog without worrying about my head aspolding because of a goddamn hidden speaker I can't find.

Just throw grenades around, you'll get the speaker even if you can't find it :eng101:

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Just use tgm and let the collar explode harmlessly against your immortal flesh. Then disable it, or exit and reopen the game if youre worried about cheevos.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
What's worse is the inevitable "nuuuuurrrrrr... NAAAAAAAAAAA..." of the orchestra that follows your head exploding. It's almost like they're taunting you!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

What's worse is the inevitable "nuuuuurrrrrr... NAAAAAAAAAAA..." of the orchestra that follows your head exploding. It's almost like they're taunting you!

I installed that cowboy sounds mod, so it's a nice gentle tinkling piano. Ought to replace it with the death music from dark souls or GTA tho so I can at least get a laugh out of it

e: \/\/\/ you can't just disarm them in time?

Saint Sputnik fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Apr 17, 2015

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I always felt a weird feeling when I hear the beeping of a mine. I instinctively close my eyes and sigh, because I know that the mistake has already been made

There was this really dumb part inside of a vault where there was like a bunch of mines directly behind a loading screen door I was already dead by the time I loaded in. I ended up just doin the ol' tgm.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Starhawk64 posted:

This. It's the reason why I hate Dead Money so much

Yeah, same here, and DM is my favourite DLC. As in, ever, not just New vegas.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Mines must have been a design challenge. I mean, by their nature you aren't supposed to see them. But you have to give the player feedback otherwise it's just dickish. I remember the first time I ran into a mine in FO3 and it was in grass or otherwise invisible so I couldn't figure out why I kept getting instakilled. I guess the beeping is the only way you can make it work in a gameplay sense.

That said, gently caress satchel charges in Lonesome Road.

*Hears "BEEP!"
*Hits F9

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

The secret of Logan's Loophole is that the level cap is a benefit, not a drawback, much like the exp penalty for skilled as actually a good thing.

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I always use Logan's Loophole. Combat is more enjoyable knowing that enemies will never become bullet sponges and actually having some skills like Lockpick not maxed out makes things more interesting.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Yeah, that's one of the reasons why I always use Logan's Loophole. Combat is more enjoyable knowing that enemies will never become bullet sponges and actually having some skills like Lockpick not maxed out makes things more interesting.

Why would you max out lockpick? With Comprehension magazines are worth 20% and there are only a few 100% locks in the game, so 80% in the skill is more than enough. There are so many kinds of drugs in New Vegas, it is a waste to max out stats/skill naturally when you can do that on the fly :catdrugs:

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Rutibex posted:

Why would you max out lockpick? With Comprehension magazines are worth 20% and there are only a few 100% locks in the game, so 80% in the skill is more than enough. There are so many kinds of drugs in New Vegas, it is a waste to max out stats/skill naturally when you can do that on the fly :catdrugs:

Even knowing this, I still do it.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Rutibex posted:

You can say the same thing about most skills in the game. I abuse the hell out of that trick in all of my runs.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
My main issue with Dead Money is that at least in HC mode it punishes both slow, deliberate exploration through the environmental poison damage as well as rushing through the villa through the bomb collar and bear traps. Instead of feeling like an interesting tension, it just felt like being punished for playing in general.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The damage over time is miniscule, in HC mode you'll be eating and drinking to keep your needs down often enough that you might not even notice it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Keith Atherton posted:

Mines must have been a design challenge. I mean, by their nature you aren't supposed to see them. But you have to give the player feedback otherwise it's just dickish. I remember the first time I ran into a mine in FO3 and it was in grass or otherwise invisible so I couldn't figure out why I kept getting instakilled. I guess the beeping is the only way you can make it work in a gameplay sense.

That said, gently caress satchel charges in Lonesome Road.

*Hears "BEEP!"
*Hits F9

During the quest in NV where you send ghouls to the moon, there's a room with some hidden mines. They look like little grey lumps on the floor and you have to look extra close to spot them. I can't believe that's the only place they used those.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Saint Sputnik posted:

During the quest in NV where you send ghouls to the moon, there's a room with some hidden mines. They look like little grey lumps on the floor and you have to look extra close to spot them. I can't believe that's the only place they used those.

They put them underneath the medical boxes and right next to bear traps (so if you're trying to walk around the bear trap, you hit the mine instead) too. :argh:

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
At first you think that LIght Step is useless, but after going thorugh DM and LR, you realize it's a godsend. I get it ASAP.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

StandardVC10 posted:

They put them underneath the medical boxes and right next to bear traps (so if you're trying to walk around the bear trap, you hit the mine instead) too. :argh:

Fallout 3 was just as tricky, as the metros (especially the Family's hideout) had mines hidden around blind corners and on the opposite side of small pieces of rubble and trash from where you entered.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

At first you think that LIght Step is useless, but after going thorugh DM and LR, you realize it's a godsend. I get it ASAP.

The Big MT is full of mines too. Light Step is the killer perk for pretty much all DLC, I don't know how anyone could think it's useless after dieing to a mine even once without a recent save.

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

Don't forget the level 4 perk that gives you crazy regen even if you're just moderately irradiated. Totally negates poison clouds.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001
If anyone is interested in going to Bethesda's E3 presser, now's your chance to register: http://www.bethblog.com/2015/04/17/your-hollywood-moment-at-the-be3-showcase/comment-page-1/#comment-418244

I'm going to try to get in since I'm a local. If nothing else, might get a couple freebies out of it.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

FairGame posted:

Don't forget the level 4 perk that gives you crazy regen even if you're just moderately irradiated. Totally negates poison clouds.

I forget getting super irradiated for one of Moira's dumb tasks gives you a perk that heals crippled limbs at high radiation level. I don't take health regen perks because they make the game too easy, but this only fixes limb condition, and since Radaway is far, far easier to find in TTW DC than doctors bags, it's real handy to have.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I dont understand how you guys get wrecked by mines. Theres only a handful of mines, usually laid by the survivalist, where the obvious red glowy light is hidden. The rest of the time theyre very obviously broadcasting their presence, and youll have more than enough time to run the gently caress away before they explode if you hear one start beeping.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I sigh when a mine explodes not because of the high damage and crippled limbs but because of lost profit. I could have disarmed that mine and sold it instead of it exploding in my face. So yeah I always take Light Step because gently caress mines and bear traps.

Does anyone actually use mines as a weapon? Seems easier just to shoot enemies in the face with a gun or energy weapon.

wafflemoose fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 17, 2015

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Starhawk64 posted:

I sigh when a mine explodes not because of the high damage and crippled limbs but because of lost profit. I could have disarmed that mine and sold it instead of it exploding in my face.

Does anyone actually use mines as a weapon? Seems easier just to shoot enemies in the face with a gun or energy weapon.

I actually used some of the 100 or so mines I've been saving as currency when I hit the bridge in Lonesome Road. Those deathclaws have like a million health and could two shot me. I'd just set up a trail of mines in front of me then snipe them with the All American from way back and let them murder themselves.

Other than that, no.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I've never really used the AM rifle until my current playthrough, and I completely forgot how hilarious the explosive rounds are.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Starhawk64 posted:

I sigh when a mine explodes not because of the high damage and crippled limbs but because of lost profit. I could have disarmed that mine and sold it instead of it exploding in my face. So yeah I always take Light Step because gently caress mines and bear traps.

You can stick them in people's pockets.

Also a dozen fat mines are a fun way to blow up everything just to kill one legion patrol.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

SpookyLizard posted:

I've never really used the AM rifle until my current playthrough, and I completely forgot how hilarious the explosive rounds are.
I love one-shotting deathclaws with it. Sometimes getting more than one with a single shot.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Starhawk64 posted:

Mines are occasionally useful when you can chokepoint a group of enemies and lure them over the mines. I've used them but it's very situational. For instance, I dropped about 5 plasma mines in one place to kill the legendary deathclaw (I still needed to shoot the hell out of it and jet myself up to my eyeballs - I was only level 10).

Mosnar
Apr 21, 2007
Dropping Heavy Things From High Places, LLC

Starhawk64 posted:

For one really stupid dungeon crawl part of AWOP, yes. Hadn't thought about using them in LR. I've usually got well over 250 hours (I have a problem, I admit it. I'm at 270 right now and haven't visited Gomorrah yet) in the game before I hit that part; and by that time I'm so over-armed even those Deathclaws aren't -=too=- much of an issue.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

keyboard vomit posted:

You can stick them in people's pockets.

The ultimate stealth weapon they are. Take out whole groups while crouching five feet away.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Starhawk64 posted:

Pretty much the only place I'll routinely use them is clearing out Caesar's tent or similar scenarios with a lot of melee enemies. Set up a mine track outside, pop your head inside, then run around leading a train of exploding praetorian guards.

Also, for light step, it's fantastic until you have a companion with you. I'll be running through a Dead Money section while Dean or Christine trails behind in an ongoing disaster of mines and bomb traps exploding.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Pretty much the only place I'll routinely use them is clearing out Caesar's tent or similar scenarios with a lot of melee enemies. Set up a mine track outside, pop your head inside, then run around leading a train of exploding praetorian guards.

Also, for light step, it's fantastic until you have a companion with you. I'll be running through a Dead Money section while Dean or Christine trails behind in an ongoing disaster of mines and bomb traps exploding.

Is there a mod to give this to your companions? I know they have one for Skyrim that I use.

Fuzz1138
Feb 3, 2013

We don't have to dream that we're important. We are.

Starhawk64 posted:

I like to save as many as I can find before I get to the Raided Farmstead and spread them around for the ambush. Or like the one time when I decided to console in a hundred fat mines and absolutely litter the place.

Other than that, yeah, they're pretty good candidates for pants-explodin' which is why I keep a couple on hand.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Mines are a thing I use for light cheese, like if I have an encounter that's just a little too hard tossing down a couple mines and running away is a nice way to even up the odds a little.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Mines are great when you know where ambush enemies are coming. I like using them to take the edge off of some of the scripted Roboscorpion encounters in Old World Blues. Satchel charges are very handy for Lonesome Road deathclaws too.